Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As JackBurley so aptly put about this same time last year:

VIVA MACRAE!

Just watched his version of DESERT SONG a couple of weeks ago -- great vocals, production values reflected that cheesey WARNER BROTHERS Musicals touch.

...Now, even though I think Gordon MacRae CANNOT be surpassed vocally, I wonder if anyone knows if the Dennis Morgan version made about ten years earlier (also from Warner Brothers) is ever shown? The first I heard of it was while reading his filmography recently.

What fond memories I have of "The Railroad Hour" on Monday night (I think) As a young post-adolescent, I thrilled to Gordon MacRae's singing (with guest opera stars) the operettas of Victor Herbert, Sigmund Romberg, Rudolf Frim, to which he brought not only the richness of his voice but the requisite romantic ardor of the leading man. My teen-age love of operetta music led to my listening (tentatively at first) to the Saturday radio performances of the Metropolitan Opera of the Air and to permanent addiction to operas by Mozart, Bizet, Verdi and especially Puccini.

Madeleine2322.

• 1 year later...

The Dennis Morgan DESERT SONG has never been televised. Warners did a restoration about 15 years ago. They ran it at the Biograph in New York. Gorgeous print and outstanding Heinz Roemheld adaptation score. Morgan and Manning's voices are wonderful. The story was updated to Nazi era. I wish they'd clear the rights so it could be televised. The MacRae version is in the post-49 library that's mostly buried. Shame shame.

The RAILROAD HOUR radio recordings are around - I think the Internet Archive may have them. I have the Capitol LP's and they're swell.

Columbia did an album of Morgan singing the songs from THE DESERT SONG. For years I only had the 78 album but finally found an early - and brief - LP incarnation. And I have RCA's 10" LP of Kathryn Grayson doing DESERT with Tony Martin.

Wow! Thanks for the information on the DESERT SONG.

I have listened to the some (quite a few, actually!) of the THE RAILROAD HOUR with Gordon MacRae. There seems to me to a "gift" to be able to blend vocally with a partner. That is one of the many things that I admire about that MacRae talent - he seemed to sing so perfectly with most of his female partners - and didn't too badly on his own!

And, yeah, I agree with the "swellness" of those Capitol albums.

Again, many thanks!!