Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mickeyfender

Help Needed With Music In FOOTLIGHT PARADE (1933)

> You beat me to the punch this time, lzcutter.

>

> Yes JackBurley. I have owned both those WB sets

> myself but only have a copy of the "Film Music"

> collection now. Hopefully, one day...

>

> kjk

Hi all - have been reading through this thread and am delighted to find others with such similar interests and things in common, but maybe most TCM junkies are alike? I also bought the 2 WB record sets when they came out and they are still in my stereo cabinet. I tune into the Classic Arts Showcase on a daily basis - it is shown every couple hours M-F on my cable system, and is the channel I watch second to TCM. (Like JackBurley, I'm an opera buff) Just curious, anybody else here a tap dancer?

Hello Jezebel38 -

I can't speak for anyone else in this thread but I don't tap...except on this keyboard.

And as to Classic Arts Showcase, I get a full 12 hours on Sunday Evenings on the City's Cable Channel. I caught a clip late Friday Night that I want to try and record this evening - Alice Ghostly singing "The Boston Beguine" from a revue called "New Faces". The lyrics are quite witty and she is a real treat. I have the song on a vinyl LP by a different performer and would like to have this rendition also.

(Why do I have this feeling that JackBurley knows exactly who the other singer is and that he has the recording also? )

Welcome Jezebel38 and check out the thread about tap dancing in the movies. You may havve a better chance of find another hoofer over there.

Kyle In Hollywood

Bill........this is Scotty, I spent the better part of 20 years in radio and TV. I have a pretty fgair spread of recordings...{about 600} If ever I mite ge of help to anyone, feel free to give me a shot. Mine is western....Big Band....comedy..whatever

"Mr. Moog persuaded Ms. Rockmore to put her artistry on record. A recording session in 1975 led to her first album, 'The Art of the Theremin', released on LP in 1977 and containing 12 numbers. Three decades later 13 previously unheard cuts from that session are available in a new release on the Bridge label, 'Clara Rockmore?s Lost Theremin Album'."

You know how to get me excited, Mr. K! What wonderful news. I own the cd of The Art of the Theremin (doesn't everyone?), and this will make terrific addition to it. It's great timing too; I'll have to pass this article on to a friend. She was just given a [modern] theremin last week for her birthday, and we were gabbing about it only yesterday. Another friend of mine plays the theremin in a band. So I'll be sending this clipping all around. Thanks!

By the way, I highly recommend the mentioned documentary Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey. It has it all: charm, wit, suspense, drama, pathos. One forgets it's a documentary, as it sometimes plays as a narrative. I believe the DVD is out of print, but I urge everyone to make an effort to find a copy. I have one, if anyone's in the neighborhood. ;)

"I caught a clip late Friday Night that I want to try and record this evening - Alice Ghostly singing "The Boston Beguine" from a revue called "New Faces". The lyrics are quite witty and she is a real treat. I have the song on a vinyl LP by a different performer and would like to have this rendition also."

Oh my! New Faces of 1952 was a very famous Broadway revue which made stars of with Ertha Kitt, Paul Lynde, Carol Lawrence. It was shot in CinemaScope and released in 1954. Is that the version they showed? Oh shoot, the doorbell... gotta run!

... where were we? Oh, I just tried to buy that new old ("old" is the new "new", by the way) Clara Rockmore album at Amoeba. It seems they're sold out. Sometimes I hate this City. There are Brittany Spears albums to spare, but a theremin album sells out. Anyway, I picked up Lydia Kavina's (who is featured on the Ed Wood soundtrack) theremin cd from the late 1990's, which comes with the caveat, "The extreme frequency range of the theremin may damage some speaker systems." How suspenseful!

Thanks Mr. K!

[suddenly feeling as if I've just found myself standing naked on stage]: I'm so sorry if I've hijacked this thread down the theremin trail. Let's see... Oh I know. I wonder if a theremin recording of "The Snake Charmer's Song" has ever been recorded? There's a similar song used in the opening prologue of Footlight Parade. Does anyone know the name of this song?

[Whew!]

JB -

You didn't hijack this thread. I think I overtook it with the Times Article. I suppose I could have Private Messaged the article to you but things have been rather dull around here lately so I thought, "Why Not?" and posted it for all to read. Maybe there are some Spellbound soundtrack fans that may stumble in here and be just as excited as you. I am going to the LA Amoeba this week so I will check if it available here in LA. (The Amoeba is only about six blocks from my home.)

And I must say, you really know how to top yourself. Not only do you have a "theremin section" in the CD collection, you have also managed to collect friends that actually play the instrument. If I didn't know you better, I'd swear you were trying to show off.

Back to New Faces on Classical Arts Showcase. Yes, the clip of "The Boston Beguine" comes from the film of New Faces of 1952 but it isn't in a Cinemascope aspect ratio. The film is available on DVD and the score on CD at Amazon (the DVD is only $5.98 ! ? !) I can't tell if the DVD is the widescreen version or not. I kinda doubt it.

I have seen this clip on CAS before and even have it on a tape somewhere. The CAS "loops" their programming after about 7.5 or 8.5 hours. So in any given 9 hour period, you won't see anything twice. But it will be seen about three times a day. I am hoping Alice Ghostley reappears before midnight tonight.

If you aren't familiar with "The Boston Beguine", it can be heard if you go here -

http://www.hotget.com/artist/Cindy-Benson,15360.html

and click on the last title on the list. This woman does an admirable job with the song. You will get the full effect of the lyrics anyway.

I first became acquainted with "The Boston Beguine" from an LP by Joan Morris and William Bolcom titled "Lime Jello - An American Cabaret" Sadly it is OOP and never released on CD as far as I can tell. It is a wonderful set of "pop" cabaret numbers with the just right mix of humor and sentimentality. The original song "Lime Jello Marshmallo Cottage Cheese Surprise" is a particular favorite. Also "Tamara, Queen Of The Nile" about the secret life of a grade school teacher. There is a compilation CD of some of their other Cabaret albums ("Black Max" particularly and one I have on cassette, useless as that is nowadays.) available at Amazon but nothing from the "Lime Jello" recording.

And to try to tie this all together, Joan Morris and William Bolcom would be wonderful interpreters of "Whirling Dervish", IMO. ( ! )

Kyle In Hollywood

I first became acquainted with "The Boston Beguine" from an LP by Joan Morris and William Bolcom titled "Lime Jello - An American Cabaret" Sadly it is OOP and never released on CD as far as I can tell. It is a wonderful set of "pop" cabaret numbers with the just right mix of humor and sentimentality. The original song "Lime Jello Marshmallo Cottage Cheese Surprise" is a particular favorite. Also "Tamara, Queen Of The Nile" about the secret life of a grade school teacher. There is a compilation CD of some of their other Cabaret albums ("Black Max" particularly and one I have on cassette, useless as that is nowadays.) available at Amazon but nothing from the "Lime Jello" recording.>>

Kyle,

I swear there was an article in last summer's LATimes about this album! I'm watching footage of Vince Edwards singing (!) on stage on the Riv and Orson Welles doing his magic act.

Mezzo-soprano Joan Morris is Mr. Bolcom's wife. They did a series of recordings together. I'd love to hear the cabaret recordings. Last year I had the honor of seeing Kitty Carlisle Hart perform, and one of her cutest numbers was "Lime Jello Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise". One could see that the song tickled her as much as it did the audience. Mr. Bolcom, by the way, has written an opera called McTeague that uses the same source material as that for the silent classic Greed...

lzcutter wrote -

"I'm watching footage of Vince Edwards singing (!) on stage on the Riv and Orson Welles doing his magic act.

Pray tell, Lynn, on what channel is this mind-jarring experience taking place? Is there a Vegas retrospective on TV tonight that I have missed? Or are you going through some rare recordings from your own collection?

kjk

JB wrote -

"I had the honor of seeing Kitty Carlisle Hart perform, and one of her cutest numbers was "Lime Jello Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise". One could see that the song tickled her as much as it did the audience."

Well, I see you know the number then. Good. And I thnk that the pairing of Ms. Hart and that song is sublime! I hope, from your comment, that you were one of the audience members tickled with it.

You might want to check out the Compilation Cabaret CD of Morris / Bolcom. Many of them are quasi-"art"-songs but still quite fun. But, perhaps you, being more of a classical afficianado than I, would find even greater enjoyment in them than I did - I being someone who is a fan of the lesser-brow Musical Comedy style of Cabaret.

kjk

Just to get back on-topic for a moment:

**MYSTERY SOLVED**

Since this "Mystery Tune" was in a number of Warner Bros. cartoons, I decided to contact Jerry Beck, the co-author of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies: A Complete Guide to the Warner Bros. Cartoons, and he was kind enough to get back to me right away.

Anyway, I'll keep you in suspense no longer. The "Mystery Tune" is an excerpt from:

"A Vision of Salome"

Written in 1908 by J. Bodewalt Lampe (for Isadora Duncan).

Mr. Beck sent along a link to a recording of A Vision of Salome made on cylinder in 1909, so if anyone's interested in listening to a contemporary version of the entire tune, here it is:

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/mp3s/6000/6286/cusb-cyl6286d.mp3.

Thanks to all for your input, and I'm glad my little thread inspired such interesting discourse.

Bye for now.

Michael

MickeyFender -

So happy you have an answer to your question. Sorry we here weren't more helpful... (and then had a "private party" while you were away.).

Now that you know the answer, wanna tell us what you are going to do with the information? Or was this just one of those "It's going to bother me until I know the answer" kind of questions?

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

It was more of a "It's going to bother me until I know the answer" kind of thing, but if I ever make a movie, you can count on my finding a way to put it in.

Btw, do you actually live in Hollywood? Cause that's my hometown.

Michael

Michael -

Yes I do.

Franklin Avenue between Highland and Cahuenga. Been here about 18 years.

Let me guess. In your film, instead of visions of the Virgin Mary your protagonist has visions of Salome.

Kyle In Hollywood

Michael,

Those of us in Hollywood and the surrounding 'burbs would be interested in hearing your take on your hometown.

lzcutter,

I have an overriding fondness for Hollywood despite its flaws. Sort of how I feel about Los Angeles in general. It might help that I live on the east coast (NYC) and only visit occasionally, but I always enjoy myself when I'm out there. When I'm there, I stay on the east side of Hollywood (Los Feliz area), and that's a good location for me. If I ever moved back, that's most likely the part of town where I'd look to live.

Michael

But it's your memories of an earlier Hollywood that has us curious, Mr. Fender. We have no idea of your age, of course, so don't know whether to ask about Chasen's, the hat shaped Brown Derby restaurant, Mike Lyman's Grill; or going to school at Hollywood High. Or if you're younger you could share impressions of the Viper Room, that summer job at Capitol Records, or the time you dined at Vermont and discovered Ross Hunter was supping with Joe Dallasandro at a neighboring table... you know. We're hungry for this kind of stuff. Have an appetizer for us?

Jack,

I heard this theremin group, Project Pimento, over the weekend. They are based out of SF and are quite good.

Thanks for the head's up! I'd never heard of them, and they're in my orbit: I see they're playing one block away from my office next week. I'll have to be there. Thanks again! I have plans to be their newest groupie.

By the way, I saw Raw Deal last week on the silver screen and was delighted by the use of theremin throughout in Paul Sawtell's score...

"I heard this theremin group, Project Pimento, over the weekend. They are based out of SF and are quite good."

Thanks to Ms. Cutter's tip, I saw and enjoyed the performance art of Project Pimento tonight, featuring Dr. Robby Virus on the theremin. Influenced by the movies, they play lounge versions of "Charade", "Barbarella", "Star Trek", etc. Cheers Ms. Cutter!

Jack,

So glad that you enjoyed them! I had no idea about theremin music other than your original posts about it. Then I go to this event and there's a group that specializes in it!

It must be fate. Keep an eye out for the Martini Kings. They ROCK! (well actually not but they play great early 60s jazz).

Glad you enjoyed Project Pimento!

The theremin that Dr. Robby Virus plays was actually made by the legendary Robert "Bob" Moog. Dr. Moog built his first theremin when he was only 15 years old. Forty years later he was called upon to repair the original theremin of virtuosa Clara Rockmore and he was the fellow who produced Ms. Rockmore's album (mentioned earlier in this thread) The Art of the Theremin. You'd recognize him from the wonderful documentary Theremin - An Electronic Odyssey. According to the Project Pimento website, Hollywood has called upon Dr. Virus to appear on the soundtrack of Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy. [sr. del Toro is the fellow who made the Oscar nominated Pan's Labrynth.]