Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FAMILY AFFAIR

Palmerin

Have you succeeded in forgetting that stink bomb? I watched it out of a desperate need to watch something, and I totally regret the time I wasted with it. Keith and Cabot did their best, but without jokes, repartee, visual gags or slapstick, that show was a lost cause.

Have you succeeded in forgetting that stink bomb? I watched it out of a desperate need to watch something, and I totally regret the time I wasted with it. Keith and Cabot did their best, but without jokes, repartee, visual gags or slapstick, that show was a lost cause.

So you have forgotten it? Good; I wish I could share your luck.

I remember it very well.  It started airing when I was around 10 and I did watch it with my family.  Not so terrible, just banal and treacly.  Years later I did hear subversive rumors about the relationship between the affirmed bachelor Uncle Bill and his companion, Mr. French.

I started watching it when it came out and stuck around for a season or two because I was 15 when it started and I was "crushing" on CATHY GARVER(Cissy).

I remember some comic making fun of BRIAN KEITH's usual reaction on the show to any exasperating situation.  "I thought he was gonna RUB HIS FACE OFF!"  :D

Sepiatone

I still remember it, but not so much as a stink bomb. It just was running at a time when American culture was changing very rapidly. I had thought that there was some kind of curse associated with this show, but when I look at all of the performers the only one to die an untimely death was Anissa Jones, who played Buffy. She died at 18 of a drug overdose of a combination of cocaine, angel dust, Quaaludes and Seconal. Johnny Whitaker had a drug problem, but seems to have recovered.  So it's certainly nothing of the magnitude of "The Poltergeist curse".

The show WAS a "hit" at the time, taking in American's attitudes at the time, it had somewhat of an appeal.  Ya gotta remember that back THEN, most people weren't as sophisticated or intellectually astute as Palmerin likes to think he is.  ;) 

I mean, after GILLIGAN'S ISLAND and MY MOTHER THE CAR,  "Family Affair" was utterly HIGHBROW!  :D

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The show WAS a "hit" at the time, taking in American's attitudes at the time, it had somewhat of an appeal.  Ya gotta remember that back THEN, most people weren't as sophisticated or intellectually astute as Palmerin likes to think he is.  ;)

I mean, after GILLIGAN'S ISLAND and MY MOTHER THE CAR,  "Family Affair" was utterly HIGHBROW!  :D

Sepiatone

You really make a good point here, especially with Gilligan's Island. Where did all of these tools and gadgets come from when the ship was only going for a "three hour cruise"? And are we expected to believe that 5 people ( I'm excluding the Howells) were just OK with being completely celibate for years on end?

You really make a good point here, especially with Gilligan's Island. Where did all of these tools and gadgets come from when the ship was only going for a "three hour cruise"? And are we expected to believe that 5 people ( I'm excluding the Howells) were just OK with being completely celibate for years on end?

Of course the Howells were OK with being completely celibate;  they had been married for over 25 years! 

• Like 2

My guess is that Gilligan has no choice about being celibate... I mean, it's Gilligan! 

The hunky Professor was the only one who didn't have to share his hut, perhaps he was able to "entertain" when he wasn't building cars, jail cells and stationary bike powered washing machines out of bamboo. 

• Like 3

I have the 3D Viewmaster of "Family Affair"when Buffy broke her leg.  Very surreal seeing it in a X7 Focusing Viewer with halogen back lighting.

family-affair-viewmaster.jpg?w=1164

If you haven't seen this "E! True Hollywood Story" about Anissa Jones, here is part 1 (the rest are on Youtube.)  I recorded the television story about 15 years ago, still have it on VHS.

Sad of how she was treated by the greed and selfishness of the studio  Her mom takes the cake. (no Mother of The Year award here)  :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vCSigC55gE

After reading the few comments about Gilligan's island I had to respond (even though this thread is about Family Affair).

I was just a little kid when Gilligan's Island was on TV but even then I couldn't watch it because I thought it was so stupid

and dumb. Where did the women get all their clothes, hairstyles and make up? How come all of them had clean clothes? How come the guys didn't have beards and long hair from not shaving or getting haircuts? Where did they come up with all those conveniences on that island? It was just too too stupid and idiotic!

After reading the few comments about Gilligan's island I had to respond (even though this thread is about Family Affair).

I was just a little kid when Gilligan's Island was on TV but even then I couldn't watch it because I thought it was so stupid

and dumb. Where did the women get all their clothes, hairstyles and make up? How come all of them had clean clothes? How come the guys didn't have beards and long hair from not shaving or getting haircuts? Where did they come up with all those conveniences on that island? It was just too too stupid and idiotic!

I ask that same question about ancient people portrayed in old movies.  Too neat and clean.

Who's his barber? :blink:

Cleopatra+1934+(Schildkraut+&+Colbert).j

Believe me, you ain't asking anything MOST of us haven't asked over the last 50 years!

As a lot of viewers my age started watching it due to being kinda fans of  BOB DENVER from his stint as Maynard G. Krebbs from "Dobie Gillis".  And we were at an age when we kept tuning in just to see GINGER and MARY ANN!  ;)

One question WE asked that YOU didn't.......

They built all those HUTS, and fashioned all those conveniences out of bamboo and palm leaves,  why not a BOAT?

Oh, and one more.....

Didn't they also ever build an OUTHOUSE?  :D

Sepiatone

Believe me, you ain't asking anything MOST of us haven't asked over the last 50 years!

As a lot of viewers my age started watching it due to being kinda fans of  BOB DENVER from his stint as Maynard G. Krebbs from "Dobie Gillis".  And we were at an age when we kept tuning in just to see GINGER and MARY ANN!  ;)

One question WE asked that YOU didn't.......

They built all those HUTS, and fashioned all those conveniences out of bamboo and palm leaves,  why not a BOAT?

Oh, and one more.....

Didn't they also ever build an OUTHOUSE?  :D

Sepiatone

You post has been set to music by Weird Al  :D

I have the 3D Viewmaster of "Family Affair"when Buffy broke her leg.  Very surreal seeing it in a X7 Focusing Viewer with halogen back lighting.

family-affair-viewmaster.jpg?w=1164

If you haven't seen this "E! True Hollywood Story" about Anissa Jones, here is part 1 (the rest are on Youtube.)  I recorded the television story about 15 years ago, still have it on VHS.

Sad of how she was treated by the greed and selfishness of the studio  Her mom takes the cake. (no Mother of The Year award here)  :(

I loved my old GAF Viewmaster stuff. I had the handheld viewer (both lighted and unlighted) and I even had the viewmaster projector too. :D

I had some travelogue reels like seven ancient wonders of the world and TV fare like voyage to the bottom of the sea, dark shadows, star trek and kung fu. :)

I loved my old GAF Viewmaster stuff. I had the handheld viewer (both lighted and unlighted) and I even had the viewmaster projector too. :D

I had some travelogue reels like seven ancient wonders of the world and TV fare like voyage to the bottom of the sea, dark shadows, star trek and kung fu. :)

I got lucky in 2003 and found a NOS (new old stock) Model D with the box still in MINT condition along with a September 1952 flyer inside.  Paid a small fortune for it.  You might be interested in this site.

http://www.3dstereo.com/

s-l225.jpg

Midnight said: I was just a little kid when Gilligan's Island was on TV but even then I couldn't watch it because I thought it was so stupid

and dumb. 

Agree 100%.

I thought the BRADY BUNCH was awful too. Kids aren't stupid, anything with Schwartz' name on it wasn't worth my time, even at 10 y/o.

Although I didn't always "get it" Warner Bros cartoons were the only kid's show I'd watch consistently as a kid. That, and Saturday afternoon classic movies, like Godzilla or Abbot & Costello.

Midnight said: I was just a little kid when Gilligan's Island was on TV but even then I couldn't watch it because I thought it was so stupid

and dumb. 

Agree 100%.

I thought the BRADY BUNCH was awful too. Kids aren't stupid, anything with Schwartz' name on it wasn't worth my time, even at 10 y/o.

Although I didn't always "get it" Warner Bros cartoons were the only kid's show I'd watch consistently as a kid. That, and Saturday afternoon classic movies, like Godzilla or Abbot & Costello.

Brady Bunch is simply a scaled down version of "Yours, Mine and Ours" (Alternative title..."The Human Rabbit")

2373f2a1df1b9cbef72f247bb73b048e.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings