Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LawrenceA

Recent Buys

I made a deliberate effort not to buy anything today, or tomorrow or Monday. I'll see if it holds up.

I'm trying not to buy as much, and in fact I'm starting to seriously contemplate how to get rid of my collection, as the end draws nearer. Or I'll just leave them all here and let who ever finds my corpse sort it out. But I feel that would be one final act of selfishness that I don't need to do.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I made a deliberate effort not to buy anything today, or tomorrow or Monday. I'll see if it holds up.

I'm trying not to buy as much, and in fact I'm starting to seriously contemplate how to get rid of my collection, as the end draws nearer. Or I'll just leave them all here and let who ever finds my corpse sort it out. But I feel that would be one final act of selfishness that I don't need to do.

That's very considerate of you. One time I read about a guy whose late father left behind 4000 VHS tapes, recorded on various expired VCRs, all at low quality so that several movies could fit on each. The son went through the entire collectiion and kept 200 of them because they had rare films on them. I wish I could find the link so I could be sure the facts are right, but I'm pretty sure about the starting point - 4K VHS tapes with low quality recordings on them.

I recently purchased the DVD version of The Cotton Club Encore.  To my knowledge TCM has not shown this film, edited or not, to date but it has appeared on other cable television stations in the past.

Am trying to hold off on seeing it until New Year's Eve night!

• Like 1

Did anyone get any movies for Christmas??

I got three Criterion:

The Kid

Cluny Brown (The one I wanted the most!)

Now, Voyager

23 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Did anyone get any movies for Christmas??

Nope...no movies for me. I don't normally get too many movies as gifts, as no one knows what I already have. My nephew used to get me some, but he's struggling a bit financially so I told him to not get me any gifts, and that him paying his rent and not being homeless would be gift enough. 

I did get a gift card to my local theater from another relative, but seeing as how I haven't gone to the theater since last February, I'm not sure when I'll use it. Nothing playing here at the moment entices me to put up with the theater experience.

I just picked up the Criterion of All About Eve from B&N.  I had a gift card.

I love this movie.

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I just picked up the Criterion of All About Eve from B&N.  I had a gift card.

I love this movie.

I like it too. You'll have to let us know how the Criterion edition is. I have the "book"-style Fox Blu-ray. 

file_549928_eve.jpg

I was surprised at how many people that post here either find the movie overrated or terrible. 

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I like it too. You'll have to let us know how the Criterion edition is. I have the "book"-style Fox Blu-ray. 

file_549928_eve.jpg

I was surprised at how many people that post here either find the movie overrated or terrible. 

I have that exact same Blu Ray as well.  Now I have the Criterion version.  So I own two copies.  I do not know why so many people dislike the film, I think it's excellent. Its only flaw, in my opinion, is that Thelma Ritter disappears halfway through. I guess we can assume that Eve insinuated herself so far into Margo's life that Birdie was no longer needed.  But I also don't see Birdie leaving quietly.  She goes off to get the movie star's sable and never comes back! 

Re: people not liking the film.  Oh well.  There are a ton of highly regarded and beloved films e.g. The Harry Potter series, that I can't stand. So everyone's different.

Right now, I'm watching my Criterion of Now, Voyager--which I also owned previously.  I had it as part of the TCM Greatest Legends Bette Davis collection. 

While in the Bay Area, I did go to a few DVD stores and found some treasures.  It wasn't quite as exciting as the last time I went.  I must have purchased all the best stuff the last time I was here. I was really hoping to find the Criterion of Thieves' Highway; but alas, it was not meant to be. 

Anyway, I found:

1949 Little Women

1994 Little Women

Random Harvest

Heathers

Move Over, Darling

Disney Classic Cartoon Favorites: Donald Duck (he's my favorite Disney character)

A Night at the Opera

Without Reservations

I’m new here, so I’ll group in my Christmas gifts with my recent purchases.

Buster Keaton: The Shorts Collection, 1917-1923

The Three Stooges: The Complete DVD Collection, 1934-1959

Singin’ in the Rain (two-disc special edition)

The Maltese Falcon (three-disc special edition, with 1931 and 1936 films)

Le Mans

”G” Men

The Asphalt Jungle (Criterion)

Sweet Smell of Success (Criterion)

Kiss Me Deadly (Criterion)

Double Indemnity

Niagra

Rendezvous (William Powell/Rosalind Russel)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I’m new here, so I’ll group in my Christmas gifts with my recent purchases.

Buster Keaton: The Shorts Collection, 1917-1923

The Three Stooges: The Complete DVD Collection, 1934-1959

Singin’ in the Rain (two-disc special edition)

The Maltese Falcon (three-disc special edition, with 1931 and 1936 films)

Le Mans

”G” Men

The Asphalt Jungle (Criterion)

Sweet Smell of Success (Criterion)

Kiss Me Deadly (Criterion)

Double Indemnity

Niagra

Rendezvous (William Powell/Rosalind Russel)

Ooh I have the Criterion of The Asphalt Jungle and The Sweet Smell of Success as well! 

I'm jealous about your Buster Keaton collection.  I'm looking for Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd right now.  Aside from those, the only thing on my radar right now is the Ida Lupino Filmmakers Collection.

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Ooh I have the Criterion of The Asphalt Jungle and The Sweet Smell of Success as well! 

I'm jealous about your Buster Keaton collection.  I'm looking for Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd right now.  Aside from those, the only thing on my radar right now is the Ida Lupino Filmmakers Collection.

I’ve already seen a chunk of the shorts on YouTube, but I can’t wait to watch good quality examples and the early Arbuckle shorts. I really want the Lupino collection. The Hitch-Hiker is one of my favorite noirs. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I’ve already seen a chunk of the shorts on YouTube, but I can’t wait to watch good quality examples and the early Arbuckle shorts. I really want the Lupino collection. The Hitch-Hiker is one of my favorite noirs. 

The Hitch-Hiker was so good! I loved it. It’s still good after subsequent viewings too. William Talman was genuinely terrifying. 

The Bigamist is really good too. I genuinely felt sympathy for Edmond O’Brien’s bigamist. 

27 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The Hitch-Hiker was so good! I loved it. It’s still good after subsequent viewings too. William Talman was genuinely terrifying. 

The Bigamist is really good too. I genuinely felt sympathy for Edmond O’Brien’s bigamist. 

I recently watched Armored Car Robbery and Talman’s performance blew me away. For me, he’s one of the most sinister actors in the history of film. 

I’ll have to check out The Bigamist. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YourManGodfrey said:

I recently watched Armored Car Robbery and Talman’s performance blew me away. For me, he’s one of the most sinister actors in the history of film. 

I’ll have to check out The Bigamist. 

I think I have Armored Car Robbery on my DVR.  I'll have to make a point of checking it out.  I didn't realize that William Talman was also in that film. 

• Like 1

I recently purchased a DVD called Looney Tunes: Golden Collection: Volume 1 from my local thrift shop, and it’s so awesome! It’s got most of my favourite Looney Tunes shorts including Duck Amuck, Long-Haired Hare and Rabbit Seasoning. I recommend any of the Golden Collection DVD’s for any of you Looney Tunes aficionados out there!

• Like 2

Cimarron (1931)

Lawrence of Arabia (two-disc exclusive edition)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 

Yankee Doodle Dandy (two-disc)

I’ve wanted to see Yankee Doodle Dandy for a while now and I’ve never actually finished Lawrence of Arabia, so I’m happy to finally have them. 

• Like 1

I just found (and bought) #20 Shock  in the Fox Film Noir collection.  Shock stars Vincent Price.  

I only need one more film (#21 14 Hours) and I'll have the whole series.

• Like 1

Actually got these as a present....

The Palm Beach Story

Anchors Aweigh

The Bridge on the River Kwai 

Cleopatra(1963)

Cat On a Hot Tin Roof

Butterfield 8

To Catch a Thief 

The Pride of the Yankees 

• Like 3

Here are my 'Recent Buys':

HOT DOG . . . The Movie (1984)  (Unrated Producer's Cut)  I pre-ordered this DVD [also available on Blu-Ray] which is due to be officially released by Synapse Films on February 20th.  I've had the 1984 KEY VIDEO VHS release for a very long time and stumbled across this 'New Release' of the recently-discovered (so it says) 35mm camera negative/Producer's Cut of 'HOT DOG'.  It is writer/co-producer MIKE MARVIN's original cut of the film containing a lil' more sex, a lil' more nudity and a few additional scenes adding up to 99 minutes.  The theatrical cut runs 95m.

I also went to Amazon and ordered William Richert's original version of what later became "A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon".  Filmed in 1986; released in 1988.  The title of Richert's original is "AREN'T YOU EVEN GOING TO KISS ME GOODBYE?".  I've had an ex-rental CBS/Fox Video release of 'Jimmy Reardon' for over 20 years, but when I discovered not long ago that William Richert had the rights back to the movie -- actually had them back years ago -- and was selling his original vision/version of the movie I decided to buy it. 

Also bought a KARTES VIDEO COMMUNICATIONS VHS of "My Name is Nobody" and a CBS/Fox Video of the 1976 Alan Rudolph film "WELCOME TO L.A.".  It's actually a spare of "Welcome To L.A."; the CBS/Fox Video box was in such nice shape -- mine is faded and worn -- that I couldn't resist snagging another copy. 

And so it goes . . .

• Like 1

I just purchased Kiss Me Deadly and Safety Last on Criterion! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I just purchased Kiss Me Deadly and Safety Last on Criterion! 

Are they having  a sale somewhere, or were these just regular buys?

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Are they having  a sale somewhere, or were these just regular buys?

Just regular buys.  I had a coupon at B&N.  I also have a membership. So it wasn't as good a sale as the 50% off.  But I really wanted Kiss Me Deadly.  

When does Criterion do their flash sale?

8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Just regular buys.  I had a coupon at B&N.  I also have a membership. So it wasn't as good a sale as the 50% off.  But I really wanted Kiss Me Deadly.  

When does Criterion do their flash sale?

I thought it might have been one in the summer and one at the end of the year, but I'm not sure.

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought it might have been one in the summer and one at the end of the year, but I'm not sure.

hmm.  I hope they do one in the spring, maybe after Dance, Girl, Dance comes out, so that I could get that film and Leave Her to Heaven