Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LawrenceA

Recent Buys

Recommended Posts

Yesterday I received in the mails the Synapse Films DVD release of HOT DOG . . . The Movie (1984)  so Synapse sent it out early and now it's in my hot little hands. 

I also received the '2008 Twentieth Anniversary Edition' DIRECTOR'S CUT DVD of Aren't You Even Going to Kiss Me Goodbye?  There was a pleasant note inside the jewel case from director William Richert and he even wrote a lil' note on the actual disc.  It says 'For M. Gorman, All Best Wishes, William Richert (in cursive), 2020'.  There was even a bonus disc of "Winter Kills" inside the padded envelope. 

I also received a nice VHS clamshell release on the old KVC label (Kartes Video Communications) of MY NAME IS NOBODY with Henry Fonda and Terence Hill. 

WELCOME TO L.A. arrived recently as well on 'CBS/Fox Video' with an un-faded box.  ♠Aces♠.  The tape looks ok, too, but I already have a minty tape.  Biggest thing I wanted from this transaction was the box.   

And also the 1981 Magnetic Video Corp. VHS release of the 1980 movie THE DOGS OF WAR starring Christopher Walken.

       

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I bought a four-film Humphrey Bogart collection on DVD. It has They Drive By Night, Across the Pacific, Action in the North Atlantic, and Passage to Marseille. I have never seen these and am really looking forward to watching them. I also replaced my DVD copy of Young Frankenstein with Blu-ray.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Yesterday I bought a four-film Humphrey Bogart collection on DVD. It has They Drive By Night, Across the Pacific, Action in the North Atlantic, and Passage to Marseille. I have never seen these and am really looking forward to watching them. I also replaced my DVD copy of Young Frankenstein with Blu-ray.

If it's the TCM collection, then I have the same one.  I love They Drive By Night.  Passage to Marseilles reunites much of the cast  of Casablanca, minus Ingrid Bergman and Paul Henreid. Even the guitar lady with the annoying song is in 'Passage.' 

I love Young Frankenstein.  That movie never gets old.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

If it's the TCM collection, then I have the same one.  I love They Drive By Night.  Passage to Marseilles reunites much of the cast  of Casablanca, minus Ingrid Bergman and Paul Henreid. Even the guitar lady with the annoying song is in 'Passage.' 

I love Young Frankenstein.  That movie never gets old.

I watched They Drive By Night last night. I liked it a lot. George Raft was the star more so than Bogart. And I loved Alan Hale, as usual. There were so many actors that I recognized, but I couldn't tell you their names.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I watched They Drive By Night last night. I liked it a lot. George Raft was the star more so than Bogart. And I loved Alan Hale, as usual. There were so many actors that I recognized, but I couldn't tell you their names.

Ida Lupino had her spectacular meltdown in the courtroom in They Drive By Night.  I only wish there was more Ann Sheridan in this film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Ida Lupino had her spectacular meltdown in the courtroom in They Drive By Night

"THE DOORS MADE ME DO IT!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got Fail Safe (1964) through the Criterion Flash sale. 

fa4svULX2NfofX0swJvrLbMpl002Dq_small.jpg

 

I was very pleasantly surprised to get a follow-up e-mail after my order informing me that I had earned a $50 gift card thanks to my purchase history, so I went back and ordered the new Karel Zeman set:

MYbyvbiii831cGR0Uq3QJe7VCzheKq_small.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We already got some of our tax monies back, so I was able to splurge a little 🙂

I got:

The Circus, Charlie Chaplin

The Gold Rush, Charlie Chaplin (upgrade from a DVD copy)

Holiday, Cary Grant & Katharine Hepburn

Something Wild, Ralph Meeker & Carroll Baker

Thieves Highway, Richard Conte & Lee J. Cobb

The Freshman, Harold Lloyd.  This is a blind buy for me, but I trust my boy Lloyd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

We already got some of our tax monies back, so I was able to splurge a little 🙂

I got:

The Circus, Charlie Chaplin

The Gold Rush, Charlie Chaplin (upgrade from a DVD copy)

Holiday, Cary Grant & Katharine Hepburn

Something Wild, Ralph Meeker & Carroll Baker

Thieves Highway, Richard Conte & Lee J. Cobb

The Freshman, Harold Lloyd.  This is a blind buy for me, but I trust my boy Lloyd.

Thieves Highway is a good one! I also have The Circus and The Gold Rush.

I've seen The Freshman, and I liked it, but I don't have it. The only one of Lloyd's that I own is Safety Last.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Thieves Highway is a good one! I also have The Circus and The Gold Rush.

I've seen The Freshman, and I liked it, but I don't have it. The only one of Lloyd's that I own is Safety Last.

I really liked Thieves Highway too! We have Safety Last and Speedy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kino Lorber had a clearance sale. So I picked 10 titles out of ones about to go out of print (none of which I've seen) plus one heavily discounted film that I remember loving.

You Never Know Women (1926)

The Holly and the Ivy (1952)

Paris holiday (1958)

Smashing Time (1967)

Diamonds for Breakfast (1968)

The pied Piper (1972)

The Optimists (1973)

Eleni (1985)

Gross Anatomy (1989)

Love at Large (1990)

Angie (1994) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought The Ten Commandments (1956) on Blu-ray. I haven't seen it in years. Stores always bring in the religious epics around Easter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered The Lord of the Rings extended edition, The Invisible Man collection, and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World on Blu-ray. It set me back about $100, but it's worth it. I didn't have The Lord of the Rings, but I did have the other two. I don't make a habit of upgrading movies unless the deal is a steal or they're a favorite. To be honest, I can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray on back-and-white movies, so most of my older movies are DVD.

The trouble I'm having is I'm running out of room! I'm gonna have to start stacking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...