Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yesterday I received in the mails the Synapse Films DVD release of HOT DOG . . . The Movie (1984)  so Synapse sent it out early and now it's in my hot little hands. 

I also received the '2008 Twentieth Anniversary Edition' DIRECTOR'S CUT DVD of Aren't You Even Going to Kiss Me Goodbye?  There was a pleasant note inside the jewel case from director William Richert and he even wrote a lil' note on the actual disc.  It says 'For M. Gorman, All Best Wishes, William Richert (in cursive), 2020'.  There was even a bonus disc of "Winter Kills" inside the padded envelope. 

I also received a nice VHS clamshell release on the old KVC label (Kartes Video Communications) of MY NAME IS NOBODY with Henry Fonda and Terence Hill. 

WELCOME TO L.A. arrived recently as well on 'CBS/Fox Video' with an un-faded box.  ♠Aces♠.  The tape looks ok, too, but I already have a minty tape.  Biggest thing I wanted from this transaction was the box.   

And also the 1981 Magnetic Video Corp. VHS release of the 1980 movie THE DOGS OF WAR starring Christopher Walken.

• Like 2

Yesterday I bought a four-film Humphrey Bogart collection on DVD. It has They Drive By Night, Across the Pacific, Action in the North Atlantic, and Passage to Marseille. I have never seen these and am really looking forward to watching them. I also replaced my DVD copy of Young Frankenstein with Blu-ray.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Yesterday I bought a four-film Humphrey Bogart collection on DVD. It has They Drive By Night, Across the Pacific, Action in the North Atlantic, and Passage to Marseille. I have never seen these and am really looking forward to watching them. I also replaced my DVD copy of Young Frankenstein with Blu-ray.

If it's the TCM collection, then I have the same one.  I love They Drive By Night.  Passage to Marseilles reunites much of the cast  of Casablanca, minus Ingrid Bergman and Paul Henreid. Even the guitar lady with the annoying song is in 'Passage.' 

I love Young Frankenstein.  That movie never gets old.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

If it's the TCM collection, then I have the same one.  I love They Drive By Night.  Passage to Marseilles reunites much of the cast  of Casablanca, minus Ingrid Bergman and Paul Henreid. Even the guitar lady with the annoying song is in 'Passage.' 

I love Young Frankenstein.  That movie never gets old.

I watched They Drive By Night last night. I liked it a lot. George Raft was the star more so than Bogart. And I loved Alan Hale, as usual. There were so many actors that I recognized, but I couldn't tell you their names.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I watched They Drive By Night last night. I liked it a lot. George Raft was the star more so than Bogart. And I loved Alan Hale, as usual. There were so many actors that I recognized, but I couldn't tell you their names.

Ida Lupino had her spectacular meltdown in the courtroom in They Drive By Night.  I only wish there was more Ann Sheridan in this film.

I got Fail Safe (1964) through the Criterion Flash sale. 

fa4svULX2NfofX0swJvrLbMpl002Dq_small.jpg

I was very pleasantly surprised to get a follow-up e-mail after my order informing me that I had earned a $50 gift card thanks to my purchase history, so I went back and ordered the new Karel Zeman set:

MYbyvbiii831cGR0Uq3QJe7VCzheKq_small.jpg

• Like 3

We already got some of our tax monies back, so I was able to splurge a little 🙂

I got:

The Circus, Charlie Chaplin

The Gold Rush, Charlie Chaplin (upgrade from a DVD copy)

Holiday, Cary Grant & Katharine Hepburn

Something Wild, Ralph Meeker & Carroll Baker

Thieves Highway, Richard Conte & Lee J. Cobb

The Freshman, Harold Lloyd.  This is a blind buy for me, but I trust my boy Lloyd.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

We already got some of our tax monies back, so I was able to splurge a little 🙂

I got:

The Circus, Charlie Chaplin

The Gold Rush, Charlie Chaplin (upgrade from a DVD copy)

Holiday, Cary Grant & Katharine Hepburn

Something Wild, Ralph Meeker & Carroll Baker

Thieves Highway, Richard Conte & Lee J. Cobb

The Freshman, Harold Lloyd.  This is a blind buy for me, but I trust my boy Lloyd.

Thieves Highway is a good one! I also have The Circus and The Gold Rush.

I've seen The Freshman, and I liked it, but I don't have it. The only one of Lloyd's that I own is Safety Last.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Thieves Highway is a good one! I also have The Circus and The Gold Rush.

I've seen The Freshman, and I liked it, but I don't have it. The only one of Lloyd's that I own is Safety Last.

I really liked Thieves Highway too! We have Safety Last and Speedy.  

Kino Lorber had a clearance sale. So I picked 10 titles out of ones about to go out of print (none of which I've seen) plus one heavily discounted film that I remember loving.

You Never Know Women (1926)

The Holly and the Ivy (1952)

Paris holiday (1958)

Smashing Time (1967)

Diamonds for Breakfast (1968)

The pied Piper (1972)

The Optimists (1973)

Eleni (1985)

Gross Anatomy (1989)

Love at Large (1990)

Angie (1994) 

• Like 2

I ordered The Lord of the Rings extended edition, The Invisible Man collection, and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World on Blu-ray. It set me back about $100, but it's worth it. I didn't have The Lord of the Rings, but I did have the other two. I don't make a habit of upgrading movies unless the deal is a steal or they're a favorite. To be honest, I can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray on back-and-white movies, so most of my older movies are DVD.

The trouble I'm having is I'm running out of room! I'm gonna have to start stacking.

• 4 months later...

Thanks to B&N's Criterion Sale, the Warner Archives Sale, and Kino Lorber's sale all happening at the same time, I've picked up quite a few titles recently.  Thank goodness that the B&N and Kino sales (running through August 2 and August 3, respectively) lasted long enough to span two pay days. 

I've purchased the following:

Criterion

-The Killing

-Paths of Glory

-Show Boat (1936)

-On the Waterfront

-The Blob

-Kid Brother

Used

-Walt Disney Treasures Tin: On the Front Lines (Amazing WWII propaganda cartoons, for $20!)

-Robocop Criterion

-The Naked Spur

-Roller Boogie

-Road House (1989)

-Legend

Kino Lorber

-Ida Lupino Filmmakers Collection Box Set--The Hitch-Hiker (1953), The Bigamist (1953), Not Wanted (1949), Never Fear (1949)

-Angel 

-The Tarnished Angels

Warner Archive

-Hold Your Man

-The Bad and the Beautiful

-Marked Woman

-Jimmy the Gent

-On Dangerous Ground

-His Kind of Woman

On 7/27/2020 at 10:57 PM, speedracer5 said:

Thanks to B&N's Criterion Sale, the Warner Archives Sale, and Kino Lorber's sale all happening at the same time, I've picked up quite a few titles recently.  Thank goodness that the B&N and Kino sales (running through August 2 and August 3, respectively) lasted long enough to span two pay days. 

Where is this Kino sale? I go on their website and they have some stuff on sale, but no 50% off. 

Great news! I spent a bit of money on myself and bought this Milestone release collection of Henri de Falaise's 1930s Bali films. Legong, which I talk about occasionally and Kliou the Killer, which I have never seen before. Legong is on YouTube but age restricted (due to nudity among the Balinese women) but Kliou does not seem to be available on the internet at all so I am very excited to get it!

6c98ed25-fa53-44bf-95d8-f0f1d144fdff_1.1

The one problem is it is region 1 DVD so I will have to buy a multi-region DVD player. Either way, it will be nice to own this great film and finally watch Kliou. 

• Like 1

Amazon description/ synopsis:

Kliou the Killer (1937)
Kliou the Killer is another 'sensationalist' pseudo-documentary by the Marquis Henry de la Falaise, the man responsible for Omoo-Omoo the Shark God. Filmed on location in the Annan Jungle region of Indochina, the story concerns a Polynesian tribe who has been terrorized by a marauding tiger. Hoping to prove his worth in the eyes of his sweetheart, a young native volunteers to track down and kill the man-eater -- and succeeds beyond his wildest dreams. De la Falaise (at one time the husband of Gloria Swanson and later married to Constance Bennett) appears in a prologue in the company of French occupational officer Lt. Carney. Not too well produced, Kliou the Killer at least had the advantage of vivid Technicolor photography.

And from IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0431202/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

The last Hollywood film to be released silent, and the last to be released in two-color Technicolor.
Considered to be the first film made in Indo-China, the French colonial territory that is now Vietnam.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I just watched my gloriously restored blu-ray version of the 1933 Michael Curtiz horror classic, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM. i've watched it countless times as a plain DVD, a second feature on the disc containing its remake HOUSE OF WAX.  The blu-ray disc comes with several juicy extras, like the history of cleaning up this sensational, pre-code classic, how it was discovered after being considered a lost film for decades. I'm just starting to enjoy the two commentaries about the making of this landmark classic from Warner Brothers. This heady broth of forbidden topics like drug addiction, ****, etc. stars classic star favorites like Fay Wray as--no surprise--the endangered heroine, wise-cracking, always enjoyable Glenda Farrell as Flo Dempsey--gum-chewing newspaper reporter and of course Lionel Atwill, the curious and sinister owner of a wax museum where several of the figures resemble recently departed New Yorkers.  This movie was filmed in an early Technicolor two-strip  process which yields scenes in beautiful pastel shades of greens, oranges and pink.  This process was before three-strip Technicolor was perfected in time for the eye-popping colors of Warners ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and it's ultimate glory of GONE WITH THE WIND.

Now, back to enjoying this always enjoyable classic.

• Like 3
On 10/3/2020 at 12:23 PM, princessananka said:

I just watched my gloriously restored blu-ray version of the 1933 Michael Curtiz horror classic, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM. i've watched it countless times as a plain DVD, a second feature on the disc containing its remake HOUSE OF WAX.  The blu-ray disc comes with several juicy extras, like the history of cleaning up this sensational, pre-code classic, how it was discovered after being considered a lost film for decades. I'm just starting to enjoy the two commentaries about the making of this landmark classic from Warner Brothers. This heady broth of forbidden topics like drug addiction, ****, etc. stars classic star favorites like Fay Wray as--no surprise--the endangered heroine, wise-cracking, always enjoyable Glenda Farrell as Flo Dempsey--gum-chewing newspaper reporter and of course Lionel Atwill, the curious and sinister owner of a wax museum where several of the figures resemble recently departed New Yorkers.  This movie was filmed in an early Technicolor two-strip  process which yields scenes in beautiful pastel shades of greens, oranges and pink.  This process was before three-strip Technicolor was perfected in time for the eye-popping colors of Warners ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and it's ultimate glory of GONE WITH THE WIND.

Now, back to enjoying this always enjoyable classic.

Are you telling me there are Warner Archive discs WITH EXTRAS???? Are there any others that have this feature?