Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I would love to see DVD releases of "Our Dancing Daughters", "Our Modern Maidens", and "Our Blushing Brides" (it would be it's first official release ever!)

It would be nice if there was commentary and filmed interviews with Anita Page. Maybe they could sell the three in a nice box set!!

• 2 weeks later...

Since I've read others discussing the "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies on the boards I thought I would post that a first volume with four movies including "The Egg and I" are on DVD. I'm posting this because I think that its a new release. I haven't bought it so I'm not sure of quality but from looking at it there doesn't appear to be any special features. I found it at Borders for $14.99.

• 1 month later...

Just last week "Meet Me In St. Louis" was released onto DVD for the first time as a special edition, two disc set. Yesterday I sat down to watch it, and let me tell you guys - IT IS INCREDIBLE!

The restored Technicolor print is absolutely beautiful, with crystal clear sound. It looks like it was filmed yesterday. I still can't get over those rich colors that the Technicolor movies of the Golden Age had - it's so unreal - every shot is like a painting. I was on cloud nine when "The Trolley Song" came on (my favorite part) with Judy doing a smash up job with Vincente Minnelli's brilliant direction. Judy's never been considered a "great beauty" but she looks gorgeous in this movie - due in part to Vincente Minnelli's direction. And the whole movie is cast perfectly - Lucille Bremer is beautiful as Judy's older sister, and Margaret O'Brien does a great job as the precocious younger sister. Leon Ames and Mary Astor are the perfect mom and dad, and Harry Davenport is the grand old grandpa. And who can beat Marjorie Main as the housekeeper - the role is made for her. Tom Drake is good as Judy's love interest as well. And we even see a young Donna Reed looking great. Sorry to ramble on, but I just can't get over how great this movie is - I had almost forgotten how well it's done, and how touching the story is without being overly sentimental. It's one of those movies that's just "perfect" - everything came together so well, that you really can't imagine it having been done any better.

Along with the movie, there's an introduction by Liza Minnelli, a documentary about M.G.M. hosted by Dick Cavett (TCM's shown it on occasion) a Lux Radio broadcast of the movie, a TON of trailers, and a couple more extras that I can't remember.

I urge EVERYONE to go out and get a copy - DVD's don't get much better than this - and TCM's showing "Meet Me in St. Louis" tonight, Thursday, 4/15 at 10pm eastern as part of their tribute to Judy Garland.

"Meet me in St. Louis" sounds like a great DVD. By the way, I am glad I am not the only one who appreciates the vividness of classic Technicolor movies. I've mentioned my love of them to friends of mine who are not into classic film and they just don't see it. They are like "What the heck are you talking about?"

On a related note, I just watched "To Catch a Thief" a while back on DVD and the film and the extras were great.

I highly recommend it.

Movie Joe, thanks for the great heads-up on "Meet Me in st. Louis." I will be adding it to my collection this month. In the meantime, a flood of goodies are coming out in the next two weeks. Universal's Monster Legacy Series will be out next week. You can buy ALL those great Universal Frankenstein, Dracula and The Wolf Man originals and sequels, in individual sets. For example, the Dracula discs will include the original Lugosi "Dracula," The Spanish Dracula (filmed at the same time by a Spanish cast in l931), Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula, House of Dracula. The price is only $21-23 dollars. The Best of Abbott and Costello - Volume 2 will be out in early May. Volume one was fantastic--8 movies in 2 discs for $20. Now, if Universal would release a DVD collection that has all the rest of their old goodies--like Captive Wild Woman, Jungle Woman, Jungle Captive, The Mad Ghoul, Night Monster, etc.

Paty - I've already got my "Best of Abbott and Costello Vol. 2" on order. I can't wait to see "Hit the Ice" again. The first set was great! The only thing I can do without is the "A&C Meet Jerry Seinfeld" - I can't stand Seinfeld - to me he's smug, and has nothing to do with their kind of comedy.

A couple more DVD's coming out soon are "The Marx Brothers Collection" on May 4 - the same day A&C comes out. It will feature "A Night at the Opera," and "A Day at the Races" with about five other films that they made at M.G.M. and RKO. Unfortunately, we still have to wait for their early Paramount films.

And on June 1st, "The Cary Grant Collection" comes out, with "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" (an all time fave of mine) co-starring Myrna Loy, along with "Night and Day" co-starring Alexis Smith, "The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer" also with Myrna Loy and Shirley Temple, "Destination Tokyo," and "My Favorite Wife" with Irene Dunne. And all films will be available individually as well as in a box set.

I received a catalogue in the mail for a website called Oldies.com. I was very surprised to see that the Joan Crawford/Walter Huston classic RAIN, was quietly released on DVD. Also very surprising is Von Stroheim's FOOLISH WIVES, and THE CAT AND THE CANARY on DVD. I recommend all three!

Nick - all three that you mentioned are great films, but unfortunately the movies that are available on Oldies.com, which are released by the company "Alpha" are all poor quality prints. Another title that they recently came out with is "The Kennel Murder Case" with William Powell and Mary Astor. I've been waiting a long time to see this classic, but I don't want to buy one of their crappy prints of it. It's a shame that they don't make any effort to restore the films before they release them.

Viewers beware of the horrible double-feature DVD of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." Through Netflix, I received my copy and sat down to eagerly watch the l932 version of Hyde starring Frederic March. The transfer is atrocious--filled with grainy images and blurred images. I don't know what the DVD producers were thinking of. The version I taped years ago from Chanel l3 is a million times better. Also, this version really creaks now. March is shown wearing that thick, black lipstick and dark mascara BEFORE his transformation scene--as if director Rouben Maumolian was still stuck back in the "Birth of a Nation" period of film making. The l942 version, starring Spencer Tracey, was sooo embarassing to sit through. Tracey was totally miscast. He wore no transformation make-up and relied on facial expressions. He looked like somebody suffering from one hell of a toothache.

Nick and Moviejoe I have bought a few of the Alpha Video DVD releases and yes the quality is bad. IF you're looking to get a movie cheaply its one way to go but if its a movie that you really want definitely spend the extra money.

You know, I just realized that in my post about "Meet Me in St. Louis" I said that Donna Reed is in it. I was mistaking her for June Lockhart, who plays the girlfriend of Lon, the older brother of the Smith clan. And I'm glad to say Ms. Lockhart is still alive and well - one of the last living stars of this incredible movie. And I didn't mention it before, but Joan Carroll gives a great performance as one of the sisters. Too bad she didn't make it further as a child star - I don't think she had too many other important roles.

Another DVD that I picked up lately worth mentioning is Neil Simon's "The Sunshine Boys" starring George Burns and Walter Matthau as two aging Vaudevillians who get together for a T.V. special. It's hilarious - both of them act very well together, and it has some moments where you'll be rolling with laughter. I love Neil Simon's work - his comedy is right up my alley, and "The Sunshine Boys" is a great example of his great comedic writing. If any of you love a great comedy with a little nostalgia mixed in - then check out this movie. The DVD doesn't have too many extras, but at least its in widescreen, and is a clear crisp print of the film.

ATTENTION PATYPANCAKE!!!!!!! (And everyone else - but she's gonna get a big kick out of this!)

I've just read that on August 3rd, Universal will be releasing THE DEANNA DURBIN COLLECTION!!!!

It's gonna have six of her movies, and they are:

- One Hundred Men and a Girl

- Can't Help Singing

- First Love

- It Started With Eve

- Lady on a Train

- Three Smart Girls

I've never been a HUGE fan of Deanna's, but I know that some of you are, especially Paty, and I have to say some of these movies are pretty good, especially "Lady On a Train."

Also of note - On the same day Deanna comes out, Universal will be releasing the "Best of Abbott and Costello Vol. 3" And it will include eight titles like their last two collections did (Volume two comes out May 4th) Titles are :

- A&C Go to Mars

- A&C Meet Frankenstein

- A&C in the Foreign Legion

- A&C Meet the Invisible Man

- A&C Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff

- Comin' Round the Mountain

- Lost in Alaska

- Mexican Hayride

"Frankenstein" and "Invisible Man" have been previously released, but it's nice to see them in the set. And "Meet the Killer" is one of my favorites of theirs - I love the "dark hotel in the mountains" atmosphere, and it has a great supporting cast. I read all of this on the Classic Coming Attractions page on The Digital Bits website. Someone else on the boards mentioned it once, and it's a great resource for info on upcoming DVD releases of classic movies.

Just wanted to remind you guys that as of yesterday "The Best of Abbott and Costello Vol.2" and "The Marx Brothers Collection" have been released onto DVD. Great arrivals for us fans of classic comedy.

And Patypancake WHERE ARE YOU!?! I thought you would've flipped your lid over the Deanna Durbin news, since you've mentioned how much you'd like to see her films on DVD. Pay us a visit old friend!

I just got the Joan Crawford classic Rain from Oldies.com and believe it or not they turned out a very sharp copy of this great movie. There are no extras and only four chapters, but the print is very pristine. Oldies.com gets a bad reputation, but for $6 it's certainly worth obtaining this very rare film for the Joan Crawford enthusiast. By the way, the entrance of Sadie Thompson in the movie is one of the greatest entrances of all-time.

I just bought the new dvd of MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS yesterday. I have to agree with moviejoe that it is fantastic! The picture is very crisp and beautiful. I noticed little details that I had never seen before, and trust me, I have watched my vhs copy of this one several times. The extras are great, too! A MUST HAVE for fans of Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien, or Vincente Minnelli.

Sandy K

Hiya, Moviejoe! You've sent me to Deanna Durbin heaven with that great news about Universal's golden songbird now coming to DVD! I had no idea her musical goodies were even in the works. I hope two of my faves will soon be out--"Nice Girl?" and "His Butler's Sister." And all that other good news you and the others added--like Abbott and Costello - Vol 3! There must be a movie god looking upon us. The tragedy about Deanna Durbin's career is that her movies are mostly unseen today except for addicts like myself. The old AMC used to show many of them but that's been years ago. And we still don't have a single Betty Grable Technicolor extravaganza from the 40s to enjoy! I'm curling up this weekend with my Universal Monster Legacy series--which includes ALL the old Draculas, Wolf Mans and Frankenstein fright flicks on just two discs each. The picture quality is wonderful! And lots of extra goodies, too, since these have been produced to help hype this weekends big blockbuster, "Van Helsing." I pray it'll be cold and windy and rainy. I feel a Deanna song coming up--so adios for now!

I also remember watching Deanna's movies on AMC - in fact that's how I was introduced to her. What a shame that AMC is such crap now. And Betty Grable is long overdue on DVD! The other day I bought "How to Marry a Millionaire" (which looks great by the way) and it got me thinking about Betty and all of the great musicals that she made, as well as that awesome film noir movie "I Wake Up Screaming" - someone has to put a fire under Fox's **** and get those movies released! Especially "Springtime in the Rockies" and "Moon Over Miami." I'd also like to see some of Alice Faye's musicals again, like "The Gang's All Here," and "Weekend in Havana."

Two volumes of Deanna Durbin films have already been released in Europe. So expect a second set from Universal of Durbin films to follow the one being released in August. It should include the very rare "Christmas Holiday" with Gene Kelly. I believe FOX is working on a Betty Grable collection. And FOX is also prepping a Film Noir series which will probably include "I Wake Up Screaming." Hopefully, Alice Faye films will be forthcoming.

edgeciff, thanks for the most welcome news about both Deanna Durbin and Betty Grable--two very undervalued legends who are criminally ignored today. I have younger film buff fans who've never heard of either one. To them, Madonna is ancient, they have no idea who Cary Grant is and Mary Pickford? Fuggadaboutit. When they finally bring out Betty Grable and Carmen Miranda on DVD, I do hope that fantastic Technicolor photography used by 20th Century Fox back in the 40s--brassy, radiant and hallucigenic--is restored to its original glory. "Moon Over Miami" is so bright and vervy you need sunglasses!

Unfortunately, only diehard fans know of Deanna Durbin. Little has been written of her, her films are rarely seen, and she has been out of the limelight for so long. Although, since Universal is releasing all her films on DVD there must be a market for her movies. At least Grable, although deceased, still has some legendary status. From time to time her films play TV and are revived and with the release of her movies on DVD hopefully she will be rediscovered by younger audiences. If I'm not mistaken, FOX will be releasing a box set of Grable films. Hopefully, it will get a big promotion like the Monroe sets.

About ten years ago I wrote a fan letter to Durbin, who now lives in France. She graciously autographed several photos I sent her.

I've been eyeing up The Godfather Box Set for year's now but always had a problem when it came to the $75-90 that most stores want for it. Plus why do I want to be stuck with the horrible Godfather 3 DVD. Finally this Tuesday (May 11th) the single disc The Godfather will be released for under $20.

Just saw the cover art of the upcoming Deanna Durbin DVD set. The picture of her on the jacket is incredibly beautiful. You can preview it at DVDPlanet.com. I am really looking forward to this one!

wow, edgeciff, i visited that website and the picture of deanna durbin is beyond beautiful! I will most certainly be the first in line to have this treasured collection in my dainty little hands the day it's released. As I mentioned earlier, I'm looking really forward to getting "Nice Girl?" and "His Butler's Sister" on the disc. My tapes are nearly worn out. By the way, all you Tarzan fans take note. MGM will release in two weeks all of its old Tarzan movies in one collection. This will include "Tarzan the Ape Man, "Tarzan and his Mate", etc. I'm having a ball watching my Universal Monster Legacy collections (Dracula, Wolf Man, and Frankenstein) along with my Best of Abbott and Costello--Part 2.

I want not only this volume, but I am looking forward to Vol II which contains the very rare CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY with Gene Kelly. I've seen it only once on TV then it vanished. I only wish Durbin had made more color films.