Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

patypancake,

I'm thinking about getting the Monster Legacy.I have all the titles listed.Are the transfers better than the ones on the other discs ? By the way,I'm still enjoying those Argento classics.

Roldfilm, supposedly the transfers are about the same. There may have been some update in sound quality. For more info see DVDtalk.com for complete reviews of the each of the legacy series.

I don't know if anyone already talked about the dvd for THE GREAT ZIEGFELD. The movie is pretty good, they show it on TCM every once in a while, but it has some interesting dvd extras. It has a "making of" documentary which includes interviews with the elderly daughter of Ziegfeld & Billie Burke, and 94-year-old Luise Rainer. Although she is old & wrinkled, Luise Rainer still looks very much like the movie star Luise Rainer. The other extra is the premiere of the film, which has celebrities talking to the camera, including Kitty Carlisle, Jack Oakie, and Harpo Marx. Harpo is standing next to some man and tells him quietly "You gotta do the talking..." and after the man is done talking Harpo speaks directly into the microphone and says "honk honk."

Roldfilm, the Monster Legacy Collection has the very same DVD transfers that you got when you purchased the earlier versions. Although I have most of the monster classics on disc, I still lacked "Dracula's Daughter" and the great, wonderful "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman." I brought only the Dracula and Wolf Man legacies for about $19.00 each at my local BestBuy. This was a bargain I just couldn't pass up. If you want to see a really lively discussion of these DVDs--both pros and cons--go to the ScarletStreet.com website. Talk about fanatical fans!

paty,

Thanks for the feedback.As you know I have all of them already.I think the best of the lot is BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN,followed by THE MUMMY,FRANKENSTEIN,DRACULA,THE WOLFMAN,THE INVISIBLE MAN ,DRACULAS DAUGHTER,SON OF DRACULA [with its great score and atmospheric photography],WEREWOLF OF LONDON,THE MUMMYS HAND,SON OF FRANKENSTEIN[with those creepy sets],CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN.The rest are in descinding order with SHEWOLF OF LONDON finishing last.Of course,A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN is one of their best,but thats in another collection.

I 've been to that site you mentioned .Frankly,I wasnt too impressed. I guess the reason being,is that I saw many of the serials mentioned when they were new,one chapter a week,rather than two or three at a time.There fore ,my viewpoint is much different for many of the titles.So much for that! Lastly patty,I just finished watching ZORROS BLACK WHIP and am now watching ZORRO RIDES AGAIN.I'm saving the best, ZORROS FIGHTING LEGION for last.Excuse this long post please,I rambled on too long,Happy viewing everyone!

I am looking forward to Warner Bros' super film noir box set coming out in July. It includes ASPHALT JUNGLE, MURDER MY SWEET, OUT OF THE PAST, THE SET-UP and GUN CRAZY. All classics. The art work on the box as well as the jackets are stunning! Paramount is also set to release some film noir at the same time including CRISS CROSS and THE BIG CLOCK. Unfortunately, they cancelled the long awaited DOUBLE INDEMNITY which was set for release at the same time! FOX supposedly is setting up a Film Noir series like their Classic Film series with one a month. They were thinking about a double feature of THE LODGER and HANGOVER SQUARE. That would be something. I can only keep my fingers crossed. FOX has an excellent library of films that haven't been released on video or DVD.

edgecliff - I also read about the upcoming Noir titles, and they're great! But I didn't know they pulled "Double Indemnity!" This was the one title I wanted most! Hopefully they're just priming it for a collector's edition release which that movie certainly deserves. And I'm glad to hear that Fox is finally getting deeper into their vaults to release some of their LONG awaited titles. Along with the titles mentioned, I'd love to see them FINALLY release "Laura." And "A Letter to Three Wives" would be most welcome, along with their Betty Grable and Alice Faye musicals.

About the cancellation of DOUBLE INDEMNITY. I recently read the bad news on one of the websites. The reason for its holdup could be numerous, e.g. legal, print quality, etc. This one deserves a special edition (including commentary), although Universal rarely does this type of thing! I don't know what FOX is doing about releasing LAURA. I'm sure LETTER TO THREE WIVES has to be one the FOX classics upcoming. It was a studio classic in its video release. The studio is probably working on its restoration. Why they released DESK SET first, who knows! And DESK SET, although an enjoyable film is definitely not in the league with the other classics that FOX released. In addition to SNAKE PIT next month, I know they have set PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE and ZORBA THE GREEK to follow. I heard something about a release of the wonderful A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, so we can only hope.

A lot of Fox's titles have been second rate lately. They have so many wonderful films in their library, and yet they've released "Picnic" and like you said "Desk Set" over more DVD worthy films. And "Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" I can do without. I'd love to see "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" - that's TRULY a classic - not like some of the other titles they've been releasing. Even "Song of Bernadette" and "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" were a surprise - good titles, but not as good as "Laura" or "Letter to Three Wives." - hopefully Fox gets on the ball soon.

FOX seems to be following the same pattern that they did with their Video Studio Classics. So, I would think LETTER, PINKY, ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM are FOREVER AMBER are forthcoming. Hopefully, THE RAZOR's EDGE too! Grable is supposed to get a box set! About 20 FOX titles have been licensed out to Criterion. Some of the titles include Preston Sturges' UNFAITHFULLY YOURS, NIGHTMARE ALLEY with Tyrone Power, and I can't verify this yet, but I think CLUNY BROWN. Both FOX and Criterion are keeping mum on all of the titles to be released so far. P.S. PICNIC is a Columbia/Sony release. That's another studio that needs to mine their studio vaults for older classics, but that's another story.

"Yankee Doodle Dandy" looks great and you'll simply love the "making of..." documentary. Joan Leslie, who plays Mrs. Georgie C. Cohan (James Cagney's wife)gives you one of the very best interviews ever about the making of this classic. She's poised, articulate, warm and oh, boy, does she have some great stories to tell. Age has made her even more adorable and beautiful. Now, if we can just start getting some of those great Betty Grable Technicolor musical delites on disc--as one of you mentioned earlier. "Moon Over Miami" and "The Dolly Sisters" are at the top of my must-by list.

Joan Leslie is quite sweet. I enjoyed her as Gracie in "Sergeant York" and in Stage Door Canteen as herself, kind of. I think I heard somewhere that Alvin York picked Joan to play Gracie himself.

Yes, Patypancake Ms. Leslie is everything you say. Being an autograph collector I have seen her many times. She's also has appeared at the Egyptain theatre and the Academy in Los Angeles in discussions with audiences when they screen any of her films. I got to see one of her rare, neglected films: REPEAT PERFORMANCE. That movie used to play TV all the time, now it seems to have all but disappeared. Eagle Lion released the film in 1948, but I have no idea who owns the rights now. Its a gem of a movie with an impressive cast. A film noir I would like to have a copy of!

edgecliffd, so happy to know joan leslie is as charming in real life as she was in her movies and in the Yankee Doodle Dandy DVD documentary. I'm watching "A Fool There Was" with that hot-blooded, heavy-lidded vamp, Theda Bara. This DVD from Kino (and which I rented from Netflix) looks good with tinted scenes and a very good piano score. I've got several versions of this on tape and they also look good--but this one always fascinates me with its l915 looks styles, acting techniques, sets, etc. Now if someone could just find one copy of Bara's celebrated "Cleopatra" spectacle with early Technicolor that got rave reviews back in l916. What fans saw in Theda is a mystery--but then I guess people 75 years from now will wonder what we ever saw in Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts!

I know Bara's version of CLEOPATRA is one of the long lost films that they are still searching for. Who knows, a print of that film might show up one day! I'm not a super big fan of silent films. Maybe because I need for them to be shown on the big screen not on TV. But, I do like many of King Vidor's silents including SHOW PEOPLE, THE CROWD and THE BIG PARADE (these could be bundled in a DVD package) also some of Lillian Gish's films. I saw a revival in L.A. of THE WIND for the first time. Seeing it on the big screen I found it to be still powerful I don't think it would have had the same effect watching it on television. Also, I enjoyed many of the Harold Lloyd films for the first time when they were shown on TCM. Amazingly still very funny.

Paramount has just announced a November release of the DVD for the excellent Eleanor Parker film THE NAKED JUNGLE in which she co-stars with Charlton Heston. There is a lot of sexy dialogue between the two stars and excitement of ants marching through the jungle eating everything in their path. Parker has never been more beautiful in this one and there is a lot of chemistry between her and Heston.

SEA HAWK and CAPTAIN BLOOD coming. AMBER and BLOOD AND SAND probably next year. LAURA tied up with legal problems! THIS GUN FOR HIRE is coming in July so maybe BLUE DAHLIA will follow, however, it has not be announced as of yet!

what great news, moviejoe, from you regarding a box of garbo DVD's! "Queen Christina" is one of my all-time faves. especially that final close-up of la divina. seems like at last we're beginning to see some of our favorites and MGM's Tarzan classics will be out in a boxed set, too, a la Monster Legacy series from Universal. I've watched and rewatched "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman" so many times this month--that opening segment of the grave robbers entering Lawrence Talbot's tomb and saying, "even a man who is pure of heart and says his prayers by night..." and then...! As we've discussed before, soon we'll have that golden songbird from Universal, Deanna Durbin, available and one day--in the near future--Betty Grable! Life is suddenly looking up for us, righto?