One Hour With You

Monte Carlo

Island of Lost Souls

Convention City

Girls About Town

She Married Her Boss

The Gilded Lily

The Sign of the Cross

You're absolutely right, Paty. I also read that "Dinner at Eight" (a favorite of ours) will be released next year with a bunch of other Harlow films. And a box set of the "That's Entertainment" films is in the works. I love those movies. I've watched them over and over again - It's so nice to see all of the highlights of M.G.M's glorious musicals all put together so well, and with some great stars introducing them! TCM should have a marathon one night of the "Entertainment" films.

The one set that I'm EAGERLY awaiting is the Astaire and Rogers box set. I read that it's in the works, and should be out next year. Imagine all of those incredible movies in digital splendor! I can't wait!

Feaito, if any of these titles ever make it, either Criterion or Kino would release them. Many of the films you picked are very RARE. I would think Universal would release SIGN OF THE CROSS, since its a DeMille film. Supposedly all prints of CONVENTION CITY were destroyed many years ago.

Yeah..Edge..but, just as a print of the 1922 "Beyond the Rocks" was found in Holland....I have a secret wish, that a lost print of "Covention City" will appear somewhere!!!...and also Garbo's lost film, "The Divine Woman", which it's been said it was her best silent!

I agree with you that most of them would be released by Criterion or Kino, or maybe Image or Roan Group...

MovieJoe...I'm also waiting for the Astaire-Rogers Box Set!!!

I've not seen a thing on any website about the Astaire-Rogers box set coming, but then I might have missed this info. I know WB is upcoming in 2005 with many MGM musicals including THE BAND WAGON (special edition), but have heard nothing about the RKO films!

Calling all ALICE FAYE fans -- FOX has set the DVD release of ALEXANDERS RAGTIME BAND for September 7. Hope more of Faye's films are forthcoming. This is a great movie with classic songs by Irving Berlin. One of Faye's best. Another very sweet lady Faye of whom I have met in person many times.

Great news about "Alexander's Ragtime Band" - looks like Fox is finally getting their act together and releasing their musicals. Hopefully more Faye will follow along with the great Betty Grable.

I read about the Astaire-Rogers set on The Digital Bits website on Barrie Maxwell's Classic Coming Attractions page (which I think you directed us to, edgecliff, and it's a great resource!) On the website there's a transcript of an online chat that was conducted with the honchos over at Warners, and they mentioned that the Astaire-Rogers set is in the works.

I read that "The Plainsman" with Jean Arthur and Gary Cooper is coming to DVD in July. I've only seen bits and pieces of it, and I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing. It's being released by Universal along with a bunch of other Westerns that the studio made.

Thanks for the info MOVIEJOE79. I hadn't read about the Astaire-Rogers set. I wonder if the films will be split in 2 box sets? If I'm not mistaken ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND will be released as FOX's September STUDIO CLASSIC. If it is it will be the first musical for that series. Besides commentary, I am looking forward to what extras this disc will bring.

To add, ZORBA THE GREEK (which really doesn't interest me) is the August STUDIO RELEASE. After ALEXANDER that leaves only 3 releases left for the rest of the year. Hopefully, these will include the reinstated LAURA and maybe LETTER TO 3 WIVES.

Another great contender for Fox's studio classics is "Leave Her to Heaven" - I'm surprised they haven't released this one yet either. I mean c'mon already! They give us "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" which is ok, but "Laura" and "Leave Her to Heaven" are Gene Tierney's best movies! And why did they release "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing?" Is there anyone who really wants to watch that!

I think studios should start with re-releasing all the stuff that was on laserdisc that never was available on VHS. There are some great laserdisc-only box sets that are now very hard to find like the Vitaphone and MGM short collections, Dawn of Sound, and the Jolson and Garbo collections.

I heard the Jazz Singer (the original) is still scheduled to be released on DVD, but no date is known. The same is true with Gold Diggers of 1933. Both will include bonus clips - Singer will have Jolson's first long-lost Vitaphone short, and Diggers will have recently restored previously lost footage of its prequel, Gold Diggers of Broadway.

• 2 months later...

GREAT NEWS!

I read on "The Digital Bits" website in Barrie Maxwell's "Classic Coming Attractions" column that Universal is FINALLY releasing some of W.C. Fields Paramount classics, as well as re-releasing all of The Marx Brothers films that were made at Paramount.

Both are to be box sets with the W.C. Fields one containing:

"The Bank Dick" - his most famous movie.

"International House" - this one is great fun with an all-star cast including Bela Lugosi and Burns and Allen.

"It's a Gift" - FINALLY we get it - one of the funniest movies of all time!

"My Little Chickadee" - co-starring the great Mae West.

"You Can't Cheat an Honest Man" - one of his later efforts but funny nonetheless.

The Marx Brothers set will have all of their classic Paraomount films which are:

"Duck Soup" "The Cocoanuts" "Animal Crackers" "Horse Feathers" and " Monkey Business"

And having this set along with the great set that Warners put out of the films they made for M.G.M. will make any fan happy.

here's one happy movie nut writing to all you guys and girls this afternoon. In my mailbox this morning, I found two flat, book-sized boxes from Amazon. With mucho excitement, I tore them open and found movie treasures beyond compare. "Best of Abbott and Costello - Vol. 3", which contains 8 of their classics, and equally as good, The Deanna Durbin Sweetheart Pack" containing six of her greatest musicals. Movie Joe, hope you've gotten your A&C goodies by now. I sampled most of them last night just in case any were duds or had scratches or unplayable. Instead of sampling, I ended up losing myself in the magic of "A&C Meet Frankenstein"..."A&C Meet the Killer..." Tonight, it's me and Deanna for at least 3 of her musical treats. Until next week, Patypancake signing off as I join Abbott and Costello and the glorious Deanna for a weekend of glorious entertainment!

Paty - I hope you enjoyed your foray into Abbott and Costello and Deanna Durbin land.

I've bought all of the A&C's but haven't got a chance to see them all yet. But I can't wait to see Meet the Killer again - one of my favorites! I'm waiting for a rainy night to watch that goodie. The last one I watched was another favorite - In Society - "Bagel Street!" "The Sesquehana Hat Company - AHHHHHH!" - It cracks me up every time!

And can you believe it but Best Buy SOLD OUT of A&C Vol. 3 - because when I went in there last Tuesday after work to buy it on sale for only $16, the guy said they were all out, and that every Best Buy in the area was sold out of them! It made me happy that so many people were buying them, but I was also **** at the same time that I did'nt get one! So I went back Saturday after they got another shipment, bought my copy, and all was right with the world.

Just read that Columbia is putting out two DVDs of The Three Stooges. However there is a twist here since each DVD contains 8 comedy shorts 4 will be in restored black and white while the same 4 versions will be digitally colorized. It it geared for young audiences reluctant to watch anything in black and white.

Mongo

thanks for the update, mongo! i was browsing at Best Buy (take note, Moviejoe) and I saw a collection of Laurel and Hardy shorts--for just $5.95! I was tempted to grab it but I had already picked up five episodes of the Annie Oakley TV series from 1951 that starred Gail Davis. also priced at $5.95. Such fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for you guys -

The release date for the "Gone With the Wind" Collector's Edition is set for November 9th, and the website www.deepdiscountdvd.com has it on pre-order for $28.76, which is a considerable savings from the $39.95 retail price.

The same website also has the "That's Entertainment" collection on pre-order for $37.44, with a release date of October 12th.

I've always done well with this website, and when I've pre-ordered DVD's that are awaiting release, I've always received them a few days before their actual release date. Just thought I'd let you guys know since both sets are must haves.

• 1 month later...

moviejoe, i was just thinking of you this weekend, when i read in the NYDaily News all the great classics and bargains coming out in the next few weeks. I'm definitely checking out the website you mentioned, deepdiscounts, and will place my orders for not only the Marx Brothers franchise, but also for the Invisible Man and the Mummy franchises, coming out sometimes in October. These last two horror collections contain all the Invisible Man goodies from Universal, as well as the fantastic Mummy series. I've already got most on DVD already but I'll want to have the complete collection franchises handy. also, David Selznick will finally get his recognition when many of his early classics will be released sometimes in October--"Since You went Away", "Intermezzo", etc. His "King Kong" is getting the royal treatment as well--and at long last. It'll be a 2 to 3 disc extravaganza. Have you seen the "Freaks" DVD? Is it worth buying for one's personal library?

The Selznick DVD's coming out in October contain some very rare items: THE YOUNG IN HEART, Janet Gaynor's last film, I'LL BE SEEING YOU which stars Ginger Rogers and Joseph Cotton and MADE FOR EACH OTHER with Carole Lombard and James Stewart, which heretofore has only been available in cruddy PD prints! The first two have been off TV for years.