Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Golden Globes

movieman,

I just returned to Netflix the fourth disk of the British mini-series,"Fall Of Eagles". If you like historical drama and interesting stories and great acting and one of the best mini-series ever produced...well, one of the best bits of television I have ever watched (second only to...no, make that as good as "I Claudius")...check it out.

Rusty

Hi Rusty and Chris,

These are real movies, film, cinema, motion pictures.......

Oh that younger audiences could see and appreciate them, they should be shown in school actually......

What benefit is it to see 'Dorko Takes a Poop in the Crapper'..... BTW, this is not a real movie; just my wicked sense of calling the films they make for teenagers today.

Whenever one is advertised on TV, I call it 'DTAPITC'!!!!!!

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Myself and a couple others got together for a chat the night of the GG's, cause that's basically all the show is good for, is a good laugh.

I did like the point that Meryl made about finding the small films and trying to entice your local theatre to carry these films, though these days you'd have to e-mail the conglomerate that owns the fifty zillion multi-screened monsters. And I enjoyed Scorcese mentioning not only Night of the Hunter, but The Red Shoes and the Warner Brothers gangster films.

Love Hugh Laurie! Adorable!

Message was edited by:

silentfan66

movieman...I'm glad you mentioned "The Jewel In The Crown". I missed the mini-series when it was broadcast on PBS. I just placed "Jewel" in my Netflix queue.

I have a question. I recorded only the last thirty minutes of "A Canterbury Tale", so I looked up the movie on IMDB to get an idea of what I missed during the first two-thirds of the run time. From "A Canterbury Tale", I linked to another Powell-Pressburger movie..."I Know Where I'm Going!". The movie has very good IMDB reviews. Have you watched "I Know Where I'm Going!"? Do you have an opinion of the movie?

By the way. My recorder uses TVGuide for programming selections. I noticed an exclamation point notation on the listing for "A Canterbury Tale", but I couldn't figure out what the heck the point of the exclamation was all about. Now I know. It means the recorder will take your selection...it just won't record your selection. Damn...and I wanted to find out what was meant by "gluing hair" (quote included in the synopsis for "A Canterbury Tale"). Oh well, maybe some other time.

Larry...here is a sign I might be losing whatever brain cells are left from a (former) intemperate lifestyle. Your "DTAPITC" acronym had me scratching my head. It took me a minute to realize, "oh yeah...I should read back two sentences. There is the answer...".

Well, I can still tie my shoes....

Rusty

Rusty:

No, I'm afraid I haven't even heard of "I Know Where I'm Going." As far as the recording goes I still set mine up the old fashioned way, by time and channel. It's an old reliable VCR/DVD recorder. I haven't felt the need to try TIVO or DVR yet.

Let me know if you come across the movie.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I was replying to benwhowell's post in which those words were used. :)

Speaking of Warren Beatty and arthritic joints - what did you think of his speech at the Golden Globes? Did anyone know what he was talking about? I think his wife even looked perplexed.

scarlett, if memory serves, wasn't he going on about being the 'enfant terrible' in NINETEEN SIXTY TWO!!!.....yeah, we get it, you were alive and an adult in 1962. Seemingly this had some influence on the films he got to do because of his status in NINETEEN SIXTY TWO!!! and he was extemporaneously musing on the Jack Nicholson and Dennis Hopper's of the same era who didn't gain such notoriety in NINETEEN SIXTY TWO!!! and got to do more of what they wanted artistically. Or some such crap. Poor Warren, crying all the way to the bank.

I imagine he just had a glass or two more of the Moet that was on the table than was wise, considering he had to give a major speech. However, I may not have totally grasped his speech...was it after the toilet mouth'ed ramblings of Borat?

Rusty, your Tivo TAKING a recording but not MAKING the recording reminded me of the Seinfeld bit on car rental reservations, when his reservation is taken but not actually fulfilled.

'Tis why I love my VCR, which for the most part doesn't have the brains of Tivo but is nonetheless reliable in an ugly mule sort of way. By the way, one of my VCRs, my very first one from 1977, just broke and was deemed irreparable by a very, to me, trustworthy repair man. Services are at 3:00pm. :( Long live the Magnavox VCRs made in 1977.

> Julie:

>

> So you are one of the ones who have seen Hugh before

> his American transformation? I loved him in

> Blackadder... What a hunk of a chap!

>

> http://hughlaurie.net

>

> Danny

Hugh is in the Annie Lennox video for Walking on Broken Glass....she leaves Hugh for John Malkovich. That's just wrong. And Hugh and Malkovich are in The Man in the Iron Mask. It's been awhile since I've seen it but I think Hugh is tastefully naked in Peters Friends.