Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bggalaxy

does actors life style affect your viewing of their movie

I was wondering if the what an actor does or their behavior off the screen affects whether you enjoy their movies. for instance I can not watch Joan Crawford movies. I watch her thinking she nuts and just finshed beating the kids. Robert Downey Jr, I keep thinking he is on something while he is delivering his lines. In his case I can still enjoy his work but the thoughts are still there. I get a a little depressed watching Inger Stevens in movies knowing such a beautiful talent took her own life.

Doesn't affect me at all. I guess the images and sounds of a movie seem more real to me than a second hand story about a movie star.

As far as Im concerned, they are two different things. The reality of their life offscreen never really had any bearing on the fantasy created onscreen, as the examples of Joan Crawford, Bing Crosby, etc. indicate. No matter what may have transpired, these were professional actors, and the really good ones let their personalities show through anyway.

This is an excellent topic, and yes, there are certain stars who I find are difficult to watch. Rex Harrison is one. It's fairly well known that he had an affair with Carole Landis, but broke up with her after she got pregnant by him. She then took her own life since she was so upset over him among other things. He was actually an outcast in Hollywood for many years because of this. It wasn't until "My Fair Lady" (in which he was brilliant) that he was really welcomed back to Hollywood. So regardless of how good he is in his films, I still think about the beautiful but obviously vulnerable Carole Landis, and how dishonorably he acted towards her.

Another one is George Sanders. Every time I watch him I wonder why he committed suicide. I can't understand it. And that crazy note he left - I'm bored - what? You're a movie star married to a beautiful blonde - what more do you want? Also Lupe Velez - she was a beautiful actress - why? I suppose many of the stars that committed suicide were seriously depressed, which would definitely be an explanation for their unfortunate suicides.

Then again I think about the fame and fortune some of them had (especially during the depression). The big cars, the hot-cha-cha nightclubs, romping all night, the palatial homes etc.

George Sanders had his share of wine, women and song (good for him), Lupe Velez swung on the vines with Tarzan himself and might I add quite a few others (good for her),

Carole Landis had her choice of most of the men in Hollywood and chose a married man (how unfortunate, should have known better in such a town), Crawford had her cake and ate it too (worked hard and reaped the rewards) and so on and so on.

We should be so lucky to have just one day and night of such a life. A bit of paradise goes a long way.

I'll go on enjoying their films, which is what is was all about in the first place and think about the good times.

May they all rest in peace.

Mongo

Oddly, I do wish that I knew LESS about certain actor's lifestyle on the contemporary scene. For example, my enjoyment of Woody Allen movies has definitely diminished in recent years. But still, "Annie Hall" is a funny movie. "Crimes and Misdemeanors" seems to be Allen's attempt to wrestle with his own conscience--a struggle that he seems to have lost.

Yet, when reading about some classic actors' scrapes, I usually guess they did what they thought they had to in order to get through life in the fast lane. I just ask myself: Would I have had the ability to avoid such temptations as these men and women met on a daily basis?

Evidence of racism and an eagerness to participate in McCarthyism STILL bothers me, however--though it doesn't stop me from watching and enjoying an actor's work. I think my viewing is more influenced by my reading about some of the egos of some actors...but then, if they didn't believe that their needs and wants and talent were the center of the universe, how would these folks ever have cultivated the drive needed to succeed in this tough, tough profession?

I agree with you Mongo... actors' private, personal, or even public lives...shouldn't affect one's regard on their jobs and movies....I just cant't stand when some people tend to dismiss some filmakers' or actors' jobs, making disgusting remarks, because of their private affairs (i.e.: Joan Crawford, Rock Hudson, Norma Shearer, Elia Kazan, etc..) One cannot judge other people...and their work is independent of their mistakes, choices, etc...

Well.... talking about this item...I just love George Sanders' screen persona ("The Ghost & Mrs. Muir", "All About Eve", "Son Of Fury", etc..)... in spite of what my grandfather told me about him...my grandpa was born in 1916 (he died in 1996) and when he was a little kid he was in a German School in a city of the south a Chile, and George Sanders also was in it, although much older...and he told me this story about Sanders behaving cowardly, and letting a schoolmate die by drowning?...I don't remember it well, but since my grandpa knew I was very fond of classic american movie actors (since I was kid), he always told me stories about the films he saw, his fave actresses (Crawford his personal favorite), and this story about Sanders, whom he detested!!

In most cases, I don't think of their personal lifestyle. I can remember a major reference book on Gary Cooper years back, in which the author dismisses the casting of Cooper in Peter Ibbetson. As the title character, Cooper is a grown man who's never gotten over being separated from his childhood sweetheart. It's suggested that he's gone on with his life and career, but romantically has never even sought a replacement for her. The author states that Cooper doesn't look like the type who would spend years thinking back to an old love, obviously influenced by Cooper's personal reputation as a playboy, and this greatly impacted his review of the film. However, this title appears quite frequently on these boards as a film which fans especially appreciated or request to see again, so it's apparent that many views can differentiate Cooper from his character.

The only film I can think of where I've been influenced by personal reputation is The Great Dictator, in Charlie Chaplin's closing speech. Reading a lot over the years about Chaplin's (obviously naive) feelings that the basic Communism principles of guaranteed food on every table sounded promising, this speech leaves me uneasy. I feel that Chaplin is suddenly leaving the character of the timid Jewish barber and speaking as himself (in a manner that is far more passionate than the barber has been depicted as up to then), from Chaplin's own personal view. I don't know why this simple utopian speech comes across as political to me, but it just does.

I'm pretty sure Charlie was in fact stepping out of character at the end of Great Dictator. It was a political film; a timely and controversial one.

I didn't mean to imply that I think badly of the stars that committed suicide. It is just something that I think about whenever I watch one of their films. George Sanders is a perfect example of an actor who was so brilliant, that it is difficult to understand why he would commit suicide. Obviously he had personal problems, but he never let them interfere with his acting. As for Woody Allen, I think he is a brilliant filmmaker - one of the best, and even though I don't really like him as a person, I don't let it bother me as I watch his movies. His films are great no matter how he lives his life, and no matter how much I may disagree with his lifestyle. And as some of you stated, that's all that matters - if you are enjoying a persons work, why let their personal life get in the way - after all, it's their life, and who are we to pass judgment. I'm sure that for all the fame and fortune, it must be really tough to live in the spotlight. And think about it - these people have their scandals and problems - but it is no more or less than anyone else, it's just that everyone else's problems are not spread all over the media and thrust down everyone's throats for all eternity.

Rarely. I really enjoy old Woody Allen flicks but I have found I'm less receptive to his newer films and I do believe that is because of his personal scandals. Generally though I could care less. I don't care what Norma Shearer did, because she's brilliant onscreen. Rock Hudson's personal life never enters my mind when I see his movies. Judy Garland's problems I never think about. I think the problem with Allen and with Joan Crawford is that they both play characters very close to themselves so you are constantly reminded of their personal issues.

Kavan - You made a very good point about Allen and Crawford. And I have to ask - twice now Norma Shearer has been mentioned. What was so scandalous about her personal life. Is it because she married Irving Thalberg? Or because she hit on Mickey Rooney? I'm a big fan of hers, and I never heard of any major scandal regarding her life. Can someone fill me in?

I don't think it was so much scandal as the fact Shearer apparently chased after every man she worked with after Thalberg's death. She was notorious in her pursuit of Clark Gable. Complicated Women says one of her costars wanted battle pay because he spent so much time fending off her advancing.

The other thing that gets tossed up is the theory Joan Crawford advanced that Shearer only got her parts because of her marriage. It's nonsense but many believed it for years.

I'll say one thing...the knowledge of Rock Hudson's sexual preference certainly DOES affect my viewing of his films. When he has a romantic scene how can you NOT wonder if he is grossed out ,or pretending his leading lady is a man? I'm not condeming him, or saying I like his movies less, but these kinds of thoughts do change my viewing experience.

Well, because we live in a time that any celebrity's life style or behavior is public knowledge by dawn the next day, I prefer to overlook that stuff when it comes to film-making and acting. All I'm interested in when I watch a movie is how well the movie has been made, and how good the performances are in the movie. Aside from this, who cares?