Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

does actors life style affect your viewing of their movie

Funny enough the first person who comes to mind for me is Debra Messing.  I know lots of people who've worked with her early in her career and they claim she is an absolute nightmare and has thrown water on the faces of PA's.  Also she takes her personal politics to the extreme, which is a big turn off.

I don't really care what someone does in terms of a self-destructive lifestyle, but if they've abused others or neglected people they shouldn't have, that stands out for me.  For example, the sexual abuse claims against MJ and Cosby seem pretty consistent from multiple people, so i won't seek any of their music or films/shows out, and i've heard that the late Regis Philbin abandoned a special needs child- that one stayed with me.

Truth is, we only now hear about the antics of celebrities- who knows what they got up in the golden days of Hollywood.  I ready Kitty Kelly's book on Sinatra- it had some tales in it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Movie Collector OH said:

This seems to be quite a loaded question, in search of some anonymous sock puppet combat.  So I will just say "yes", but each case to some varying degree of course, since everyone is only human (so we are told - but for some that can be a bit of a stretch).  😁

Well due to unconscious bias  (yea,  just took a required session on this as required by HR),   it is safe to assume we are all  impacted by an actor's life style and off-screen actions to some varying degree (and often one we aren't even aware of).

When watching sports T.V.  sports talk I might yell at the T.V.  when the host says something I really disagree with.      One day she noticed that I don't yell at Mina  Kimes.

I had to admit I'm bias!    (but really I think she does know a lot about pro-football and the NFL,,,,  but more so than that jock sitting next to her????).

Mina Kimes - Journalist - The Shorty Awards

6 minutes ago, johnpressman said:

However, I always wondered why, in the movie "How Green Was My Valley" why Walter Pigeon resisted the absolutely beautiful Maureen O'Haras' advances.  H

Pigeon was following the script.   He wasn't a bird,  he was an actor.

• Haha 2

As a fan of the original 60's "Mission: Impossible" TV series, I would go into a Tom Cruise action movie more readily if it was made for OTHER reasons besides Tom thinking his engrams have made him immortal, bulletproof, and capable of bungee-jumping from jet airplanes.

• Like 2

Their lifestyle seriously affects my viewing when they go off the rails and put other things ahead of their work.

Case in point (because he's recently become a topic of conversation): Alec Baldwin was a decent actor and had a bit of an edge up until the mid-1990s. He could have gone on to greater things. Instead, he changed to being a celebrity and hasn't turned in a thoroughly credible movie performance this century.  

1 minute ago, Capuchin said:

Their lifestyle seriously affects my viewing when they go off the rails and put other things ahead of their work.

Case in point (because he's recently become a topic of conversation): Alec Baldwin was a decent actor and had a bit of an edge up until the mid-1990s. He could have gone on to greater things. Instead, he changed to being a celebrity and hasn't turned in a thoroughly credible movie performance this century.  

To me your "case in point" isn't what the topic is about;    while I agree that Baldwin's acting has gone down hill since 2000,  it wasn't his life style that impacted my viewing of those performances.     Maybe his life style did impact his performances but that is a different topic.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, hamradio said:

Would be stunned how many actors behaves beyond the screen.

With the ubiquitousness of cel phones/tweeting/texting, I've been stunned how people behave behind their "screen".  Apparently the anonymity encourages people to say whatever idiotic thought comes into their mind, they'd NEVER say in front of real people. Of course 2020's isolation fueled it even further.

10 hours ago, Capuchin said:

Alec Baldwin was a decent actor and had a bit of an edge up until the mid-1990s. He could have gone on to greater things. Instead, he changed to being a celebrity and hasn't turned in a thoroughly credible movie performance this century.  

Maybe not a movie performance, but his portrayal of 45 on Saturday Night Live was incredibly hilarious.

• Like 5
51 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

With the ubiquitousness of cel phones/tweeting/texting, I've been stunned how people behave behind their "screen".  Apparently the anonymity encourages people to say whatever idiotic thought comes into their mind, they'd NEVER say in front of real people. Of course 2020's isolation fueled it even further.

Maybe not a movie performance, but his portrayal of 45 on Saturday Night Live was incredibly hilarious.

Plus Baldwin won multiple Emmys, Golden Globes and SAG awards for his work on 30 Rock. He currently has the highest number of SAG awards of any male actor, mostly based on work during the 2000's.

• Thanks 1

Well, I suppose I do have to admit that after hearing Fred MacMurray was a tightwad and a terrible tipper, I've never been able to fully appreciate any of those Disney flicks he played such a nice guy in, since.

(...actors and their politics or their "life style"?...don't give a damn...BUT be a lousy tipper and NOW you've got my ire up here, dude...HATE lousy tippers!!!)

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I don't see it that way.  I see an actor who everyone knows hates Trump, poking fun of him.  Seems petty to me.  For me A. Baldwin will be the narrator of The Royal Tenenbaums.

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well, I suppose I do have to admit that after hearing Fred MacMurray was a tightwad and a terrible tipper, I've never been able to fully appreciate any of those Disney flicks he played such a nice guy in, since.

(...actors and their politics or their "life style"?...don't give a damn...BUT be a lousy tipper and NOW you've got my ire up here, dude...HATE lousy tippers!!!)

;)

It's funny how my perception of MacMurray changed the first time I watched The Apartment when before I only knew him as the Disney dad and from My Three Sons.  Must say I know nothing about his personal life- but i don't think being a tightwad would make me dislike him.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

;)

Yea,  these three are all thinking:  why is dad such a tightwad and can't increase our allowance!

Pictures & Photos of Barry Livingston | My three sons, Don grady, Actors

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

It's funny how my perception of MacMurray changed the first time I watched The Apartment when before I only knew him as the Disney dad and from My Three Sons.  Must say I know nothing about his personal life- but i don't think being a tightwad would make me dislike him.

Actually Shank Asu, I really was mostly kidding here about liking Fred less and once I heard he was a noted tightwad in real life.

(...and btw, your surprise at later learning he could also play the more underhanded sort in films, isn't a rare thing of course...seems after people first watch him in The Apartment or Double Indemnity or The Caine Mutiny, and after only knowing him from his old long-running sitcom, many people are surpised and have a similar reaction to yours here)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I fell hard for Errol Flynn watching The Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood, etc. on syndicated TV when I was growing up.  Later, of course, I learned about the scandals associated with him.  Yet, when he's on-screen, I still fall for that gallant and charming hero he portrays  -- these were roles created for his persona, fantasy and fictional, for which his screen presence was well-suited.  At the same time,  in real life, Flynn never pretended to be anything he wasn't.   I guess it's hypocrisy that bothers me the most.  For example, I can't watch the old Bill Cosby show despite the talent of Cosby, the writing, and the rest of the cast, due to the sex scandals associated with him, partly because he also set himself up as a role model for family life and especially for black males.  He was especially castigating of black males and black youth in speeches he gave at UMass Amherst and other venues, and in light of his private life, I found him hypocritical.

• Like 3
On 11/9/2021 at 1:23 PM, Shank Asu said:

Funny enough the first person who comes to mind for me is Debra Messing.  I know lots of people who've worked with her early in her career and they claim she is an absolute nightmare and has thrown water on the faces of PA's.  Also she takes her personal politics to the extreme, which is a big turn off.

I don't really care what someone does in terms of a self-destructive lifestyle, but if they've abused others or neglected people they shouldn't have, that stands out for me.  For example, the sexual abuse claims against MJ and Cosby seem pretty consistent from multiple people, so i won't seek any of their music or films/shows out, and i've heard that the late Regis Philbin abandoned a special needs child- that one stayed with me.

Truth is, we only now hear about the antics of celebrities- who knows what they got up in the golden days of Hollywood.  I ready Kitty Kelly's book on Sinatra- it had some tales in it.

It may take awhile before I can watch another Kirk Douglas movie.  And I really like the actor!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
15 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

FRED was truly rotten in THE CAINE MUTINY.  A dishonest coward who couldn't finish off the 'mutiny' he started with his suppositions!  What a slime. 

Of course, it wasn't FRED who was truly rotten.  It was LT. TOM KEEFER.  Great movie, by the way.

• Like 3

Politics

When I watch old films, I rarely am distracted by what we know about a performer's politics. If I do think think about it, I look for positives. For example Humphrey Bogart was a staunch liberal progressive and Ronald Reagan a staunch conservative but I can respect each of their politics because I believe they were both truly committed and trying to use their voice to help make a better country. 

It is more difficult for me to find positives from current performers nowadays that are political. I think for me the main problem is that very political celebrities like Alec Baldwin and Barbra Streisand behave as if their views make them better people, and everyone else are hateful, ignorant racists. 

Personal lives

I pretty much do not think about a performer's personal life when I watch old films. There are some exceptions. When I see Errol Flynn in his later films, I do get sad thinking about his magnificence at his peak, the toll of his excesses, and his tragic, early demise. Same for Lon Chaney Jr., who I believe at his best was as fine an actor as ever lived- but his best performances were intermittent. He always looked 10 years older and I wonder if that was due to the smoking and drinking.

• Like 3