Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

does actors life style affect your viewing of their movie

bggalaxy

3 hours ago, filmnoirguy said:

It may take awhile before I can watch another Kirk Douglas movie.  And I really like the actor!

Yeah, i'd heard the rumor before Woods' sister made this claim recently.  In situations where the accused and the victim are both now dead and can't speak on the matter, makes it kind of a tricky one for me, but yeah, i'm looking at Douglas differently now.  His son's comments on it didn't seem to defend his father at all.  Can't believe that Kirk only just recently died at over 100 and now the accusations come out.  Or maybe that's how Lana Wood planned it to avoid a possible lawsuit.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I think people spend way too much time obsessing over the private lives of actors.  Unless they do something really egregious, then what they do on their own time is none of our business.   If they want to voice an opinion, that is their right, like anyone else, just so long as we remember that it doesn't necessarily follow that they know what they're talking about.

Politics?  Guess what?  The world is full of people who don't agree with you.

That said, I can't listen to Bill Cosby's stuff anymore,  and I lost all interest in Norm McDonald when he started mocking Canadian troops while they were fighting and dying in Afghanistan.

I think Vivien Leigh was bipolar, not schizophrenic, but yes, I agree it makes some of her performances even more heartbreaking.

I don't care about their politics, sexual orientation, or minor scandals. Even less about who had an affair with what other person.

I draw the line at people who hurt children so Woody Allen and Kevin Spacey don't get any of my money.  I think we have sort a moral obligation to send a message that we won't tolerate that.  If we don't, we're telling the victims that they don't matter as much as someone's "art."

• Like 1

As far as their behavior, like drugs, partying, always in trouble w/ the cops for things, etc., I already assume most of them are at least a bit off, if not damaged goods. Any form of the arts lends itself to eccentricity, narcissism or a generally unbalanced psyche, to especially the most creative ones. I had more trouble when I was younger suspending any distaste for the actor to invest in the character protrayed. It's much easier these days, I find.

It's only when they get over-the-top political, and for such outageous statements for a sustained period that I seem to know them more for that than their acting resume, and it's tougher to look past the actor into the character. In those cases, it just takes a little effort. Stay in your lane, actors, actresses and athletes.

Even then, if the talent is so great and their resume is so strong, as to overshadow pretty much anything, I can easily overlook any negatives I feel for them personally and still enjoy their acting brilliance. Off the top of my head, here's a couple who can't ruin my fanhood of their acting.

Deniro - Get outta here!

Spacey - The guy was great is everything he did.

• Like 1

I'm open minded in general, but there are a few actors I can't enjoy at this point. One is Peter Lawford! It is said that he had something to do with the death of Marilyn Monroe. Of course it's part of a theory, but it bothers me, and I guess his acting never really grabbed me anyway.

Another is Charlie Sheen. Too many icky things involving him make me not interested in his work.

But there are quite a few actors I have to just accept, because their work is so impressive. Many of them were narcissists, in my observation, something I have a lot of family experience with, making it easier to analyze and understand. Also, narcissists can be awful at home, and still do good works outside the home. I'm thinking of Joan Crawford, one of my favorites. Also Lon Chaney Sr. --a brilliant performer with some sad, dark homelife behavior.

On 11/10/2021 at 1:23 PM, Dargo said:

Actually Shank Asu, I really was mostly kidding here about liking Fred less and once I heard he was a noted tightwad in real life.

(...and btw, your surprise at later learning he could also play the more underhanded sort in films, isn't a rare thing of course...seems after people first watch him in The Apartment or Double Indemnity or The Caine Mutiny, and after only knowing him from his old long-running sitcom, many people are surpised and have a similar reaction to yours here)

Re: MacMurray.  Having not been alive during the 1960s when Fred was known primarily for My Three Sons and his Disney films, I only knew him from Double Indemnity and The Apartment.   And I knew of him from his appearance as himself in an episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.  I've also seen his more comedic turns like his collaborations with Claudette Colbert (The Egg & I, No Time for Love, The Gilded Lily) and Alice Adams.  More recently, I saw him in The Caine Mutiny.  I remember seeing him in The Absent-Minded Professor, and compared to Double Indemnity and The Apartment, it was kind of a letdown to see him in these types of roles.  I much prefer seeing Fred in his pre-Disney career. 

• Like 8

As for the question at hand, do I let the actors' personal lives affect my viewing of their films? No.  No I don't.

It doesn't matter to me what they did in their personal lives.  Do I condone their actions? No, but at the same time, so many people are so quick to condemn people based on what they've *heard* about someone.  Just because you heard some rumor, it doesn't mean that it's true.  It doesn't mean that it's not, but it seems silly to me to boycott a long dead celebrity because you heard that they did something you didn't like.  

As for those who were actually charged and convicted of a crime, a la Roman Polanksi, I guess that watching that person's work is up to the individual person's discretion.  I won't be watching Rosemary's Baby because I don't like the film; but I love Chinatown, so I will continue to watch it.  I know that I'm not condoning sex abuse by enjoying Chinatown

There are others, like my fave, Errol Flynn, who were charged with a horrible crime, but were aquitted.  Flynn even denied the accusations in his memoir, and based on the things that he did admit to doing (some which were pretty bad), I choose to believe him. 

I guess my point here is that so many people are condemning people based on rumor, which I think is silly.  If that person wasn't actually convicted and charged with something, and you weren't there first-hand to witness whatever the person is being accused of, then you don't really know if whatever rumor is true.  When the rumors are substantiated by someone, it is probably important to look at *who* it is that is supporting the claim and what possible motivation they might have for doing so. 

I always hate it when on social media posts, someone will say something like "I really love John Wayne.  He's great in The Searchers" and the first comment will say something like "John Wayne was racist, he said [such and such] in 1975." I always feel like these low-hanging fruit type posts are low-effort.  There's no attempt to actually engage in a discussion about the OP's statement.  Just an attempt to be a wet blanket and shut down any attempt at conversation.  If that's all you can contribute, do everyone a favor and don't respond. So many people think their opinion about everything is worth sharing, and frankly, it's not.  People should use a filter and think about whether their post is helpful.  If not, don't post. It's okay to be critical about what is said, and to even offer a dissenting opinion, but there's a way to do so that encourages a productive conversation. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Twokeets said:

I'm open minded in general, but there are a few actors I can't enjoy at this point. One is Peter Lawford! It is said that he had something to do with the death of Marilyn Monroe. Of course it's part of a theory, but it bothers me, and I guess his acting never really grabbed me anyway.

I read a very convincing book based on Marilyn Monroe's medical reports that concluded she died accidentally due to a deadly combination of health practices.  She had been on a strict diet and she had been following a fad at the time of giving herself daily internal cleansing practices.  She then took what was normal for her but still heavy dose of her regular medications (I can't remember if it was diet pills or sleeping pills) and because her system was so cleaned out, they absorbed too quickly and she died.

That's not a pretty or romantic story, but probably the truth.  It makes more sense to me than all the stories about the Kennedys wanting her dead.  Why would they.? JFK had hundreds of affairs, any one of them could have been brought to light if anyone thought it would ruin his career.

According to Ken Burns documentary about Vietnam, JFK is recorded on the phone to McNamara, saying that he was well aware that we could never win the war in Vietnam, but "If I pull out the troops now I'll have no chance of winning re-election."  He did far worse things than have an affair with  Marilyn.

23 hours ago, Twokeets said:

Have to say I personally only ever had ONE thing against Peter Lawford.

Uh-huh, ya see this English dude became an American citizen in 1960, right?! BUT even after that AND until the day he died, word is the guy STILL persisted in spelling certain words with that REALLY needless superfluous letter 'U'!!!

(...there, I've said it AND I'm glad I've finally gotten this off my chest once and for all!)

;)

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Re: MacMurray.  Having not been alive during the 1960s when Fred was known primarily for My Three Sons and his Disney films, I only knew him from Double Indemnity and The Apartment.   And I knew of him from his appearance as himself in an episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.  I've also seen his more comedic turns like his collaborations with Claudette Colbert (The Egg & I, No Time for Love, The Gilded Lily) and Alice Adams.  More recently, I saw him in The Caine Mutiny.  I remember seeing him in The Absent-Minded Professor, and compared to Double Indemnity and The Apartment, it was kind of a letdown to see him in these types of roles.  I much prefer seeing Fred in his pre-Disney career. 

And I was the opposite. I was growing up in the 60s and my primary exposure to Fred MacMurray was My Three Sons and similar roles as affable guys in Walt Disney films. It was quite a surprise to see him in older films in unsympathetic roles.  Then there is Raymond Burr. Again, I saw him growing up as Perry Mason on TV and then Ironside in the late 60s early 70s. Imagine my surprise to see him playing the villain in 1940s and early 1950s films. 

• Like 1

I have a hard time looking at anything with Sharon Tate in it and  thinking about anything other than the way she died. She wasn't in that many films, but TCM plays The Fearless Vampires pretty often and that's what I think about when I see her.

I remember in  the summer of 1976, school was out and my sister and I stayed up to watch this film. After it was over we both said we probably would not have stayed up so late to watch it had we not been curious about Sharon Tate, and that stemmed from her being a famous murder victim. 

• Like 1

I can still watch quite a few films with actors and directors with highly questionable or immoral moral codes. I try and separate the performer/director from the person they really are off screen. Though admittingly it isn't always easy for me (don't get me started on O.J. Simpson!).

I can still watch anything with Kirk Douglas in it because we don't know the truth of what really happened, if anything, between him and Natalie Wood. I believe in innocent until proven guilty, and so far we only have Lana Wood's word that he raped Natalie. 

It is possible that Lana may honestly believe it to be true, but she simply could have a faulty memory or misinterpreted the events that went on back then, she was only a little girl. I mean, if Kirk is guilty then he's answering for it now that he's passed on. However if Lana is making it all up simply to make a fast buck, not only sullying the reputation of a dead man but making money off of exploiting her late sister, then she'll have to answer for it when her time comes.

I think Roman Polanski should have served serious time for what he did to that girl in the 70's. but I'll give credit where credit is due, he has made some really great films like REPULSION, CHINATOWN and THE PIANIST (never cared for ROSEMARY'S BABY though). 

Never much of a Woody Allen fan (save for ANNIE HALL) even before the mess with him having an affair and then marrying Mia's adopted daughter came out. 

I loathe the fact that Walter Brennan turned out to be such a nasty,  bitter racist who took pleasure in the murder of Martin Luther King, however it doesn't stop me from enjoying his supporting turns in such films as RIO BRAVO and TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT.

• Like 1

No.

Why should it?  I couldn't care less what an artist  ( be they actor, director, writer, musician, whatever) does in their personal life, to me it has nothing to do with what I'm seeing onscreen .  I have no trouble separating the art from the artist.  I think this matter of people now worrying about how well-behaved the actor /musician/ etc.  is in their private life is a relatively new thing,  and not a particularly good one.

"That said"  I suppose there are limits to what even I might tolerate in an artist;  If they'd killed someone, for instance,  I'd definitely not want to watch their films  ( or listen to their music, etc.)   But their sex lives,  whether they have addiction issues or not,  their political views...baby, I don't care.

On 11/9/2021 at 2:23 PM, Shank Asu said:

I don't really care what someone does in terms of a self-destructive lifestyle, but if they've abused others or neglected people they shouldn't have, that stands out for me.  For example, the sexual abuse claims against MJ and Cosby seem pretty consistent from multiple people, so i won't seek any of their music or films/shows out,...

Yeah,  but Thriller is a great song.  And whatever Michael Jackson did in his personal life,  it doesn't change that.  And if someone heard Thriller  and had no idea who'd recorded it or what their private life was like,  they'd just enjoy the song.   (this applies to much of MJ's music, I just picked that one at random.)

I never regarded Cosby as a "great" entertainer,  so can't really comment on that - but yes,  it would be hard to watch The Cosby Show now, knowing what we know.  As for Regis,  wasn't he just a tv talk show personality?  He didn't contribute anything fantastic and timeless to the world of art, film , or music, did he  ?  so I couldn't care less about him.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2021 at 7:01 PM, EricJ said:

As a fan of the original 60's "Mission: Impossible" TV series, I would go into a Tom Cruise action movie more readily if it was made for OTHER reasons besides Tom thinking his engrams have made him immortal, bulletproof, and capable of bungee-jumping from jet airplanes.

But let's say you simply didn't know any of that stuff about him.  Would you be able to watch and enjoy his films then?  What does all that stuff Tom Cruise does  have to do with how you like his work?  And in fact,  I find it kind of admirable that he does his own stunts.

...although all that said,  I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Cruise.  But his antics do not affect my decision to see one of his movies.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:32 AM, filmnoirguy said:

It may take awhile before I can watch another Kirk Douglas movie.  And I really like the actor!

Sorry, filmnoirguy,  I must be missing something.  Did someone post anything here on this thread about something Kirk Douglas was supposed to have done?   Just curious.  ( whatever it was, it wouldn't stop me from watching his movies.)

edit:  ok, never mind.  You know,  all that is just rumour,  could be Mr. Douglas was entirely innocent.

And regardless,  it has no effect on how I feel watching a film like Paths of Glory.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, speedracer5 said:

As for the question at hand, do I let the actors' personal lives affect my viewing of their films? No.  No I don't.

It doesn't matter to me what they did in their personal lives.  Do I condone their actions? No, but at the same time, so many people are so quick to condemn people based on what they've *heard* about someone.  Just because you heard some rumor, it doesn't mean that it's true.  It doesn't mean that it's not, but it seems silly to me to boycott a long dead celebrity because you heard that they did something you didn't like.  

As for those who were actually charged and convicted of a crime, a la Roman Polanksi, I guess that watching that person's work is up to the individual person's discretion.  I won't be watching Rosemary's Baby because I don't like the film; but I love Chinatown, so I will continue to watch it.  I know that I'm not condoning sex abuse by enjoying Chinatown

There are others, like my fave, Errol Flynn, who were charged with a horrible crime, but were aquitted.  Flynn even denied the accusations in his memoir, and based on the things that he did admit to doing (some which were pretty bad), I choose to believe him. 

I guess my point here is that so many people are condemning people based on rumor, which I think is silly.  If that person wasn't actually convicted and charged with something, and you weren't there first-hand to witness whatever the person is being accused of, then you don't really know if whatever rumor is true.  When the rumors are substantiated by someone, it is probably important to look at *who* it is that is supporting the claim and what possible motivation they might have for doing so. 

I always hate it when on social media posts, someone will say something like "I really love John Wayne.  He's great in The Searchers" and the first comment will say something like "John Wayne was racist, he said [such and such] in 1975." I always feel like these low-hanging fruit type posts are low-effort.  There's no attempt to actually engage in a discussion about the OP's statement.  Just an attempt to be a wet blanket and shut down any attempt at conversation.  If that's all you can contribute, do everyone a favor and don't respond. So many people think their opinion about everything is worth sharing, and frankly, it's not.  People should use a filter and think about whether their post is helpful.  If not, don't post. It's okay to be critical about what is said, and to even offer a dissenting opinion, but there's a way to do so that encourages a productive conversation. 

Great post, speedy,  well-said !  Agree with all your comments here 100% .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Sorry, filmnoirguy,  I must be missing something.  Did someone post anything here on this thread about something Kirk Douglas was supposed to have done?   Just curious.  ( whatever it was, it wouldn't stop me from watching his movies.)

Natalie Wood's sister, Lana, says that Kirk Douglas sexually assaulted Natalie and she (Natalie) told her mother about it immediately.  Lana was a young child at the time  but says Natalie told her about it when she was older.  Natalie was 17 at the time it allegedly happened.  This is a long rumoured incident that Lana is now publicly stating as the truth.

Just now, Shank Asu said:

Natalie Wood's sister, Lana, says that Kirk Douglas sexually assaulted Natalie and she (Natalie) told her mother about it immediately.  Lana was a young child at the time  but says Natalie told her about it when she was older.  Natalie was 17 at the time it allegedly happened.  This is a long rumoured incident that Lana is now publicly stating as the truth.

Thanks,  Shank Asu.  Our posts must have over-lapped, shortly after I posted my question about what Kirk Douglas was rumoured to have done, I did see other posts talking about it.  I went back and edited that post asking about it.

I think it's inappropriate that Natalie Wood's sister is making those accusations.  I notice she waited until after Kirk Douglas had died to make them. I don't believe Kirk did it,  but even if he had,  I would still admire his acting talent and watch any of his movies I felt like watching.

Outlaw country singer DAVID ALLAN COE ("Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile";  "The Ride") was sort of a "Jekyll & Hyde" performer in that he was capable of writing and performing mainstream country hits . . . but  he also wrote and performed some really, uh, unusual country songs -- the names of some of them I cannot repeat without Otto Sensor kicking in (and with good reason). 

If you look up "David Allan Coe - Underground Album" on Wikipedia you'll get the gist of it.  And it's not for the kids!  Some lyrics of one song are typed out on Wikipedia so you can see for yourself without actually listening. 

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

You know,  all that is just rumour,  could be Mr. Douglas was entirely innocent.

At the time of his death ABC showed some video taken very near the end of his life where he showed his garden, and cement block where NATALIE WOOD had inscribed her name.  That suggested to me a friendly relationship.