Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pandorainmay

From the TCM Lost and Found Dept.: Pushover (1954)

[nobr]Pushover (1954), a nifty little film noir that appeared in the middle of the night (how apt), on TCM this week, will be shown again on Wednesday, March 21st, 2007 at 6:30 PM. Be there. Kim Novak's breakthrough film role captures her mysterious, somnolent beauty and features one more great cynical turn by one Fred MacMurray, who plays a B movie version of the cunning heels he created, (almost against his will), in Double Indemnity and The Apartment. [/nobr]

The following were recovered from the TCM Lost and Found department this week:

[nobr]Found: A worn, wrinkled trench coat with several crumpled checklists in pockets.

In the lining of the coat was the embroidered name: F. MacMurray. The following handwritten lists scrawled in pencil include:[/nobr]

checkMarkBoxBlue.gif

1.) A creased gatepass for Columbia Pictures with a Production Schedule for the movie, Pushover (1954). Richard Quine, Director (unappreciated talent?). Kim Novak, Breakthrough star. Phil Carey, Big, Goodlooking Lug. E.G. Marshall, New York actor, Scenestealer? Dorothy Malone, Brown-haired Mouse, to see hairstylist soon for lightening job.[/nobr]

checkMarkBoxBlue.gif

2.) Attitude adjustment!! Ask projectionist to rerun Double Indemnity for me until cynicism and lust in screen persona can be recalled.[/nobr]

checkMarkBoxBlue.gif

3.) Call Billy Wilder for a refresher course in latent malevolence, wiseguy patter and fatal gullibility.[/nobr]

checkMarkBoxBlue.gif

4.) Call agent & pal Walt D.; explain that morally ambiguous characters not a good fit for me?remind him, new Mrs. MacM. a former would-be nun!. Ask him to start looking for nice comfortable tv show gig, w/ no violence, lust, or visible conflicts. Kind of like the guy I'd be if I'd never left Kankakee, only smarter.[/nobr]

checkMarkBoxBlue.gif

5.) Ask Director Quine about kittenish Novak kid. Is she near-sighted or just a little slow during takes? She has a tendency to stare off, affectless, looking dewy-eyed and lost in thought?notice that costume dept. might be making pencil skirts and blouses so tight that the kid may have a circulatory problem. Could just be scared?[/nobr]

checkMarkBoxBlue.gif

6.) Remember to wear crepe soled shoes. Streets on this show wet, dark, and morally bankrupt.[/nobr]

Found: A Great Sleeper of a Movie!

I was meaning to watch this movie but I promptly fell asleep. thanks for the reminder about the next showing!

moirafinnie6,

Exceptionally witty post as always. I recorded it last night, now I'll have to make sure it stays near the top of my Must Watch Now pile. Also, I'll have to cleanse my memory of all My Three Sons memories to appreciate the noir-ness.

Thanks for the laugh and the heads up, Moira. Since TCM showed the seldom seen Remember the Night (1940) last month and now Pushover (1954) this month, I hope to see another forgotten side of Fred MacMurray's talent on the tube soon---his comedic timing, which was on great display in Murder He Says (1945) and The Egg and I (1950), both of which I hope re-emerge on TCM soon.

Very funny indeed! And MacMurray should be rememebered for far more than My Three Sons. That's all I knew of him growing up...But he was a very funny, very good leading man! Besides the excellent movies mentioned above, he made several movies with Carole Lombard, Hands Across the Table (1935). The Princess Comes Across (1936) Swing High, Swing Low (1937) and True Confession (1937) all worth watching, and 3 of which are on that cheap 6 movie set of Lombards(Swing High is not)

And if making 4 films with Lombard seems like a lot, he made 5(That I was able to count) with Madeleine Carroll! Honeymoon in Bali(And many other titles) (1939) and the last film they made together Don't Trust Your Husband(one of several titles) (1948) are available on Public Domain DVD's and are very good comedies, and surprisingly enough, the copies aren't bad either.

Another very funny movie with Claudette Colbert that never runs, No Time for Love (1943) and is another underrated Mitchell Leisen film.

There are more of his films worth seeing I am sure, but looking thru his film list on imdb.com, I saw several films(With Irene Dunne, Harriet Hilliard, etc) that I have never even heard of!

Murder, He Says is a great comedy. Peter Whitney is great as the homicidal twins.

Moira: Funnny!!! And thanks for the notice about the next showing of Pushover, because I was so sad I missed it earlier. I've never seen it before.

Ziggy: No Time for Love is one of my favorite romantic comedies---I haven't seen it in ages and would love to get my hands on a copy.

Miss G

Glad TCM is running some obscure Columbia films. I missed seeing PUSHOVER but maybe I can catch it next time. Hopefully the station will run the other Novak film noir FIVE AGAINST THE HOUSE. Haven't seen this one in years.

I taped "Pushover" off Cinemax last year and I enjoyed thoroughly. I liked Mac Murray's pairing with Novak. They worked well! And the film was absorbing indeed. Dorothy Malone and Phil Carey are great in it too! I can recall it was pretty suspenseful and well acted all around.

As always Moira, your writing is impeccable & so witty!

Glad you guys all enjoyed the review of Fred's pockets. Hope you like the movie when you get to see it.

Edgecliff, my esoteric friend,

I've never heard of 5 Against the House (1955), and now that I've read the synopsis, it sounds intriguing and oh, so au courant, what with the world's enchantment with gambling running rampant throughout society! And caper films are almost always fun. I'd like to see another early Kim Novak movie after enjoying Pushover and I love anything with a young Brian Keith. Let's hope TCM digs it up, dusts it off and gives it a spin for us. Here's a link to read more about it if anyone's interested:

http://www.tcmdb.com/title/title.jsp?stid=150

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048077/

It's a good movie that regrettably has never been available on home video. Next month it'll be showing at the Castro Theater in SF as a double bill with I Love Trouble (1948) as part of a film noir series.

I've never heard of this movie! It sounds delightful!

Osborne has suggested that MacMurray's talent has been somewhat overlooked because he was so natural you forgot he was acting. He blends in so effortlessly it becomes real.

Thanks for the tip.

Red River

"Five Against the House" is an all time sleeper..without looking it up, I remember in it was a very young Alvy Moore..Mr. Kimball from "Green Acres" Is it Phil Karlson?

Just a Heads Up to alert you that Pushover is being shown on Wed. Mar. 21st at 6:30P.M. EDT. on TCM. It's quite alot of naughty fun, noir style.