Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone feel like fixing the audio delay?

Audio delay occurs in our house through our cable system's digital feed's lagtime. It can occur throughout cable system not just on TCM, and is especially likely occasionally on channels below channel 75, or so it seems. We "refresh" the digital receiver by uplugging cable box/tv for about 15 minutes, letting things idle for that length of time. Then, we plug cable box/tv back in, wait until the time display reappears on the cable box and then turn tv & cable back on. It's usually okay after that, until, of course, the squirrel slips off his treadmill again. Sarcasm is a nice, if ineffectual release, I find.

Your cable company is largely responsible for the quality of your picture. Turner Classic Movies monitors and quality controls its signal when it leaves the building and usually that signal is in pristine condition. How you receive the picture is largely dependent upon your cable company, and consequently, they are often in the best position to correct any glitches. In fact, if the problem is from our signal, EVERYONE watching would be experiencing the same problem.

It is best that when you speak to them directly. However, if the problem persists for more than a few hours, or the cable company is uncooperative, please provide us with the following information:

Your name:

Your cable provider & their phone #:

Brief description of the problem:

When did you contact your cable provider about the problem?

Do you know of anyone else experiencing this problem?

We will try and follow up as much as we can.

We thank you for your patience, and again apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for watching!

Best,

TCM Web Staff

The problem was corrected sometime during "Dream Wife", I can't say exactly when because I shut it off after the beginning.

Actually, TMCWebAdmin, I'm pretty convinced it was a TCM problem, or at least a problem somewhere between where the signal leaves your source, to where it arrives in Toronto. Thanks for the stock reply though.

The problem started at exactly 10:40am, after the end of "Mr. Lucky", the video showed the 31 Days of Oscar promo, but the audio was for "coming up next on TCM". After that, everything went to heck.

I find it hard to believe that my cable provider is responsible. Different audio and video can only originate from the source, correct? If other viewers did not experience problems, I can only guess that you've got different feeds to different providers - Canada obviously gets a crappy one.

> Actually, TMCWebAdmin, I'm pretty convinced it was a

> TCM problem, or at least a problem somewhere between

> where the signal leaves your source, to where it

> arrives in Toronto. Thanks for the stock reply

> though.

Actually, TCMWebAdmin was not obligated to give you ANY reply, "stock" or otherwise. Did you even do any research of your own to see if it could possibly be your cable provider?

Well Brad, since you feel it neccesary to speak for TCM, yes I do expect a response and I think I'm owed one. Am I not a customer? I am supposed to just sit there and accept crappy service? You can all you want to. If I had let the bad sync continue for that long at MY job, I'd be fired.

And it is not my cable provider. I have been through this many, many, many times.

And, despite my better judgement, I also know that every time I post on the board about a problem, I always get blasted from TCM suckups who always tell me its NOT TCM's FAULT, even though they have no proof or authority to say so. God forbid, TCM's digital playback EVER have a problem, or their satellite goes screwy. It's happens all the time.

And you know what? I'm going to keep posting each time I have a problem, because I want the problem fixed, dammit. And if it doesn't get fixed over the length of a movie, I don't think that's good enough and I'm gonna complain to TCM. I'll complain to my provider too, because again, I want it fixed, whoever is responsible.

I have a right to complain, just like you have a right to be satisfied with your reception.

...every time I post on the board about a problem, I always get blasted from TCM suckups who always tell me its NOT TCM's FAULT, even though they have no proof or authority to say so.

The proof is in/on my DVD/hard-drive from today: "Crisis" has perfectly coordinated audio from beginning lion's roar to final fade-out - I just went and checked it out at every chapter stop. It's NOT TCM's fault. I have DirecTV, for the record. And I don't know what DISH may have done with it (but someone will say). And every cable system has developed innumerable, different ways by which to impair their subscribers' enjoyment. I got rid of mine in 1996, especially to get TCM and PBS in stereo.

This thread is certainly not the best way to get in touch with TCM. Have you tried "Contact Us" or a phone call? The thread can be a good way to find out if others are having a problem and THEN you can contact TCM. First, you could have checked with a friend/neighbor who has the same cable (or DISH, in that case).

And a better title for your thread might have been something like "Audio Delay to Canada Only?".

God forbid, TCM's digital playback EVER have a problem, or their satellite goes screwy. It's happens all the time.

Now, there actually WAS a problem - an extremely rare one - last night between RO's introduction and the beginning of "The Train." The movie just plain didn't start and DirecTV (or TCM) put up a slide acknowledging it - three minutes later the movie started right up; one of the times I was grateful for my hard-drive!

But first, just ask if someone else is having a problem. When anyone says (about the same movie), "Not here," that completely lets the TCM folk off the hook. Fuss all you like to your provider!

Bill

> Well Brad, since you feel it neccesary to speak for

> TCM, yes I do expect a response and I think I'm owed

> one. Am I not a customer? I am supposed to just sit

> there and accept crappy service?

Well, yes, aren't you also a customer of your cable provider. Seems like you were willing to "sit there" in hopes that TCMWebAdmin would happen to be reading the board this particular day. Seems to me it would be easier to just contact your cable provider in the first place, since they're more or less the "middle man". Just an idea........................

The old movies on TCM were shot on 35mm mag stripe, with sprocket holes. You need a seperate 35mm playback machine for each reel. The sprockets allow the engineer to keep the video and audio in sync. When videotape became a standard they use what is called S.M.P.T.E. Time Code (Society of Motion Pictures and Television Engineers.) This was used as an industry standard.

TCM sends out only one signal to a satellite, which is them sent your cable providers. If a problem with the audio or video originates with us, EVERYONE in America will experience the same problem. Based on the fact that many reported no problem with Crisis, the problem was local, and therefore not TCM fault. The cause of the audio delay occurs when your cable provider unscrambles our signal. Basically, they didn't reassemble the signal correctly. They should have someone there to monitor the results of this process 24 hours a day.

If you experience any problems with the TCM signal, first contact both your cable company and then TCM. Make sure you provide us with your name, city, state, cable company and their phone number.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact us.

--TCM Admin

The sprockets allow the engineer to keep the video and audio in sync.

Well, yes, there are sprocket holes, and - once the holes are aligned correctly - picture and sound will stay together (assuming the film was properly processed!) - but that has nothing to do with the issue here. NOTHING these days is shown from film; if you've been reading the posts, everything TCM shows is from a digital source (of some sort).

What you've posted could lead to a textbook on film, I guess, but the main point is that the (mostly optical, NOT magnetic, on the really classic films) soundtrack is part of the film; it doesn't get to "wander." Sprocket holes are on standard projectors; the archival machines (telecines, etc.) that are used to get the best results often do not even use sprockets, because the film may have shrunk so badly the sprockets would tear the film to pieces. There have been several good short doc's about that some years ago, some shown on TCM I believe, but certainly on film preservation weekends on that "other" lamented channel.

What this thread is about is strictly about whether the service providers (cable, satellite) are keeping their (digital to start with) signals together as they reach the subscriber. TCM is putting it out right, as long as even one subscriber gets it with no problem, is the point.

Bill

I had my DVR recording at the problem area between "Crisis" and "Dream Wife".

The audio was as follows:

-- Crisis

-- next-three-films-are-...

-- Young Composers short

The video was as follows:

-- Crisis

-- Young Composers short

So the video component of the "next-three" was left out, and instead the viedo component of Young Composers started at that point. So now video and audio are out of synch by the length of that "next-three" spot.

This was on Shaw Cable in Winnipeg, Canada.