Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Imagine these two in a Romantic Comedy!

Guest QuestForUs

Guest QuestForUs

What actors do you think would make the most unlikely or outrageous couple? What will we never get to see? (lest the Casting Director get the ax!)The stunning heiress who missed her father's funeral, due to a broken fingernail (Eve Arden) and the Funeral Director's unemployed brother, who fell madly in love with her just a few days before. It was love at first sight. He was on his way to the pub, to forget his brother just refused him the money to start a new band - and there she was! Sitting pretty as a picture in the pink limousine, waiting for her Chauffeur to complete the funeral arangements. He becomes obsessed, robs a doughnut shop to pay for a week's worth of singing lessons, steals a ladder from a man who was repairing his roof, and sneaks into her yard late at night. Dressed in a pink suit to match her car, he quietly rests the ladder against her bedroom window and tip toes up the steps. Maurice (her exotic pet parrot) hears the intruder and exclaims, "another chump, another chump". As she reaches the window and prepares to brand his knuckles, the lovestruck singer (John Houseman) loses his balance and lands in the middle of her pink rose garden. Through the rungs of the broken ladder he emerges with his arms outstretched, as he serenades her. "Yours is My Heart Alone."I would pay a lot of money to view that scene.What would you only LOVE to see?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest brinkley

Me West and Cry Grant. Two complete opposites. Her down to earth, raunchy sex appeal and his debonair, upper-class magnetism. Imagine them in a love scene? (or did I really see them)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest olmsted, l

In response to brinkley, Cary Grant's first movie was with Mae West. Check out She Done Him Wrong--it's a classic. Oddest couple--James Cagney and Audrey Hepburn

Guest son, jery

Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff as lovers. They intensely hated each other but they were both very sexy guys in an off-beat way. I could see them in a horror movie entitled, "The Mummy's Hand meets the Screaming Skull!"

Guest S., Tom

I always wished that Carole Lombard had been cast in My Favorite Blonde with Bob Hope. Nothing against Madeleine Carroll who played the role. It's just that the teaming of Hope and Lombard would've been something very special, to see that screwball nuttiness in an early WWII setting. I often wonder if they ever met. In any case, a teaming of Bob Hope and Carole Lombard would have been comedy heaven.

• 2 months later...
Guest Gilda

if you mean Mae West and Cary Grant they did do a movie together I believe it was called "she done him wrong" it was quite funny including the classic Mae West line "when women go wrong men go right after em" I must admit though I've seen better couples.

• 1 month later...
Guest son, jery

I would love to have seen--and this is purely a fantasy--the adorable Billy Haines and the tough, macho but handsome Victor McLaughlin, in a male-male romance. This isn't as far-fetched as it sounds. in "Wings," Buddy Rogers and Richard Arlen (I think I've got this right)were wonderfully warm and loving with each other as pilots in World War II. Of course today, some would call this a "gay" romance. But back then, they had no labels. Men could be as close to another male as the women were shown in many movies.

• 3 months later...
Guest B, Chris

RKO wanted Carole Lombard (among others) to play opposite Fred Astaire in "A Damsel in Distress," and I would have loved to see that combination. As it was, Joan Fontaine played the damsel with faint enthusiasm, had no chemistry with Astaire, and couldn't dance.

Guest oshoko

Harold Lloyd playing Harold in "Harold and Maude" with Ruth Gordon still as Maude. Llyod's thrill comedy would go well with the suicide attempts.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Davis, Gayle

I guess this thread has me thinking about Carole Lombard and Cary Grant-but I think that it's a shame that they didn't make a romantic comedy together. "In Name Only" was really such a melodrama, although it was a good movie. They would have been wonderful together in that genre.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Baker, Laurie

Melvyn Douglas and Greer Garson would have made a great pairing, I think. At least, with Melvyn playing romantic comedy, like he did in NINOTCHKA or THEODORA GOES WILD. He would seem a nice foil for Greer when she is at her most proper.

I'm not sure if these couples ever hooked up on film, but i would be curious to see them together. Veronica Lake/Cary Grant Grace Kelly/Kirk Douglas Barbara Stanwyck/Spencer Tracy

You might be right Alix. I'd like to see them give it a go though. It's hard to tell what pair of actors will work. Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt were matched up and although it looked good on paper, it didn't materialize on film. Who would've thought that Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan would be so successful with 'When Harry Met Sally'? It's a toss up.

• 2 weeks later...

How about the oddest romantic pairing that really happened--Katharine Hepburn and Bob Hope? Sadly, that one really happened and the movie was awful--"The Iron Petticoat."

I think it is so funny no one has mentioned Bette Davis in respect with someone being paired with her. As much as I love Bette, I think most male co-stars of her era and beyond, would not have stood a chance against her, as far as audience recognition is concerned. Though she did have male co-stars often enough, they were usually in a supporting position to her role, and the few who were really starred (Henry Fonda, George Brent, Cagney, Bogart) must have known what they were getting into when they got into the "ring" with Bette. I so often think of Bette Davis as a lone wolf, in regard to strong co-stars, and it is probably just as well, because I think that is how she ultimately saw herself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Cary Grant and Carole Lombard get my vote. "In Name Only," while an otherwise great movie, only hinted at what the pair could have done together. Remember the scene when they first meet while she is trying to fly fish? There are a few funny lines in that scene only that left you wanting for more.

• 3 months later...

Archived