Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forgotten Gregory Peck Film

slappy3500

When Gregory Peck died recently I saw most of his movies mentioned with one (to me) glaring omission: "Captain Newman, M.D." It was Greg's one attempt at comedy and he's not bad. It also features Tony Curtis in the ONE role in which his accent is appropriate. Also featured Eddie Albert, Dick Sergent, Angie Dickenson, and Larry (Why did God make me uglier than Shemp Howard?))Storch. Also a fine (Oscar nominated best supporting actor)turn by Bobby Darrin as a B-17 gunner tormented by a terrible secret. Anyone else Love/like this film?

"Captain Newman, M.D." does seem to have been lost in the shuffle during the posthumous tributes to Mr. Peck, Slappy. Thanks for reminding me of its lovely blend of comedy with serious underlying themes. The romantic sparks between Peck and Angie Dickinson weren't too shabby either. Plus, Eddie Albert gave one of his best onscreen portrayals as a cracked officer with a rigid military wife. I'll have to track it down on video again.

P.S. Don't forget some other nimbly played comedic roles by Gregory Peck: "Roman Holiday" (1953) & "Designing Woman" (1957). :-)

• 1 year later...

Just watched (and reviewed) this film, moira (where are you?) & slappy, and it was pretty good. Though it's Robert Duvall, not Eddie Albert, who had the rigid military wife.

After I wrote and posted my review (accessible from my site's homepage), I looked it up on imdb and found a review written by Stephen Murray (who I think writes for USA Today). I found it funny that he too compared it to Operation Petticoat & MASH.

Also after seeing it, I find myself warming up to Gregory Peck more and more. Of course, I also liked him in To Kill A Mockingbird & Roman Holiday, and recently I also saw (and enjoyed) Designing Women & The Big Country (thanks to ML!). Looking back, I can't really figure out why it was I didn't used to like watching his films. I'm glad I've been educated otherwise;- )

I was delighted to see Captain Newman, M.D. (1963) appear on TCM recently. There are few movies where as many in the cast are recognized by me these days, and who also gave outstanding performances in this movie, whether playing for drama, or comedy. Some say that the blend of drama/comedy distracted from the film, but I have to disagree. In my humble opinion, too much of one or the other would have destroyed this film for me.

I also was curious to know more about the Director of this film, and discovered that David Miller (a name I shamefully didn't immediately recognize) also directed Lonely Are the Brave (1962), Back Street (1961), Midnight Lace (1960), Our Very Own (1950), among many others of excellent merit. Path, you will also find this interesting...David Miller also directed "Tennis Antics" (1937), a Pete Smith short we've also seen here on TCM.

For me, this film...now over 40-years old is still fresh, enjoyable, and clearly a Classic. ;)ML

Archived