Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's not "Life with Father"

stylnz8

So, I saw this movie a while back but can't seem to remember the name or who's in it and the only line I can remember from it is "I'll have none of your Cats n Jammers".  The only other things I can remember from the movie is all the children get the chicken pocks,  when one of the teenage children is going out or sneaking out the father catches them and says " I'll have none of your cats n jammers".

I want to say the the father is William Powell but I think it's someone that resembles him.  There's quite a number of children but it's not "Yours, Mine and ours".  If anyone has any clue I would greatly appreciate some input.

So, I saw this movie a while back but can't seem to remember the name or who's in it and the only line I can remember from it is "I'll have none of your Cats n Jammers".  The only other things I can remember from the movie is all the children get the chicken pocks,  when one of the teenage children is going out or sneaking out the father catches them and says " I'll have none of your cats n jammers".

I want to say the the father is William Powell but I think it's someone that resembles him.  There's quite a number of children but it's not "Yours, Mine and ours".  If anyone has any clue I would greatly appreciate some input.

That would seem to be a reference to the comic strip, The Katzenjammer Kids, but looking at Wikipedia and Imdb, couldn't find anything other than the short cartoons.

That would seem to be a reference to the comic strip, The Katzenjammer Kids, but looking at Wikipedia and Imdb, couldn't find anything other than the short cartoons.

I want to say it was set around the same time as "Life with Father" from the phrase used. Thank you for checking.

I was also thinking about The Seven Little Foys, but since you've nixed that, how about

The Remarkable Mr Pennypacker? Set in the 1890's and lots of kids. He has 17 kids in this one I think. He has 2 families,Clifton Webb is the dad. I wouldn't say Powell and Webb look alike, but Webb is tall, slender and has a moustache. He was the dad in Cheaper By the Dozen. You might want to read a synopsis and see if it rings a bell.

btw, was it a '30's. 40's. 50's film ?

I was also thinking about The Seven Little Foys, but since you've nixed that, how about

The Remarkable Mr Pennypacker? Set in the 1890's and lots of kids. He has 17 kids in this one I think. He has 2 families,Clifton Webb is the dad. I wouldn't say Powell and Webb look alike, but Webb is tall, slender and has a moustache. He was the dad in Cheaper By the Dozen. You might want to read a synopsis and see if it rings a bell.

I think you got it.  I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet but Clifton Web looks very familiar and the storyline looks about right. Now I just have to figure out a way to get a hold of the movie.  Your help was much appreciated.

I think you got it.  I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet but Clifton Web looks very familiar and the storyline looks about right. Now I just have to figure out a way to get a hold of the movie.  Your help was much appreciated.

You're very welcome :)The Remarkable Mr. Pennypacker was on tv a few months ago. I think it was either  on THIS, ANTENNAE TV or FXM RETRO. I had seen the film  many years ago and came into the film this time around towards the end so can't verify the chicken pox or the Catsnjammers but I think this might be the one. Hope so and I'll be on the look-out for it. If I see it's going to be shown on TV I'll post the info. Glad I could help.

Well, I've ordered the DVD, I will be able to confirm that it's the right movie once it arrives but I'm almost positive it's the one, thank you again so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here's the update. It was not The Incredible Mr. Pennypacker but it is Clifton Webb.   So when I did the search for Cheaper by the Dozen the only 2 that showed up were with Steve Martin and Henry Fonda, the one with Clifton Webb never showed up.  And it depends where you look and how you look.  Tor B the Man you were correct but since I originally did the search for cheaper by the dozen and the version with Clifton Webb never showed up and I didn't have this name at the time it just didn't make sense.  But all is right with the world and my movie question has been answered. 

Clifton Webb in Cheaper by the Dozen.  Also food a few others that I need to watch with Clifton Webb.  He's a hoot.

thank you all so much for your time and effort

Glad you found your movie.  Clifton Webb was a marvelous actor. You should check out his Mr. Belvedere films. The best one as Mr. Belvedere I think is Sitting Pretty, he's hilarious. Robert Young and Maureen O'Hara are in Sitting Pretty, it's one of my go to films for a good laugh, it's a favorite. Not only was Webb superb in comedy, he was a fine dramatic actor. The Razor's Edge and Laura are brilliant dramatic performances. I doubt any other actor could have been better than Webb in those films. Clifton Webb was a gem on film. Definitely check out his films.

Well, here's the update. It was not The Incredible Mr. Pennypacker but it is Clifton Webb.   So when I did the search for Cheaper by the Dozen the only 2 that showed up were with Steve Martin and Henry Fonda, the one with Clifton Webb never showed up.  And it depends where you look and how you look. 

Not sure where you looked, but since it wasn't mentioned in this thread, did you check imdb.com?  It's probably the best place to search for info on movies and stars, plus it'll show availability on Amazon.  Sometimes there are good discussions on their message boards as well.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings