Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CeliaC

Written On The Wind

A very poor choice for an Essential movie. I'm disappointed with it. The movie's theme was uninteresting, the actors mediocre and just not an enjoyable time watching it. When you wait for it to end thinking it'll get better and it doesn't, Molly needs to rethink her choices. And on another matter, what's happening to Turner Classic movies when they start showing newer made movies like "Ground Hogs Day" and "Tootsie"? Leave them to show on other networks because that's where they're still playing. I'm disappointed in TCM's choices lately. They're doing away with the older classics we love and bringing in these newer movies that I can't stand watching. I'd like to know, "What's happening to TCM"? Don't change the format or you'll start losing they're viewers.

I'm trying to watch it now, for the first time.

It is Peyton Place meets Giant. And very boring.

>It is Peyton Place meets Giant. And very boring.

Yep Fred! It's kinda like watchin'..."the sands through the hourglass", ain't it?!

(...aah, but then again..."so are the Days of Our Lives", huh?!) ;)

I am featuring my review of this film in the Classic Film Criticism Vol. 2 thread today. I had planned to get to it later, but since it just aired again, it stirred up a few things in me!

> {quote:title=CeliaC wrote:}{quote}A very poor choice for an Essential movie. I'm disappointed with it. The movie's theme was uninteresting, the actors mediocre and just not an enjoyable time watching it. When you wait for it to end thinking it'll get better and it doesn't, Molly needs to rethink her choices. And on another matter, what's happening to Turner Classic movies when they start showing newer made movies like "Ground Hogs Day" and "Tootsie"? Leave them to show on other networks because that's where they're still playing. I'm disappointed in TCM's choices lately. They're doing away with the older classics we love and bringing in these newer movies that I can't stand watching. I'd like to know, "What's happening to TCM"? Don't change the format or you'll start losing they're viewers.

It's certainly never been a favorite of mine. I don't like Giant nor do I like this. Just an unpleasant film all around from Stack's insipid self-pity to Malone's irritating skankiness. X-(

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Ben said this is one of the all-time great "soaps". A bit of an overstatement. What do you feel are the top all-time soaps?

Having just watched it the other night for the first time in many years, I'd have a hard time thinking of a bigger (or better) soaper than the 1959 version of Imitation of Life. You might even say that it was four soapers rolled into one big ending lather, but amazingly enough, they pulled it off.

Oh, great!

h4. For my 1000th post, I get to comment on Sirk again! and one of my favorites:

h3. WRITTEN ON THE WIND

>finance wrote: Ben said this is one of the all-time great "soaps". A bit of an overstatement. What do you feel are the top all-time soaps?

Given the time (1950s--wonderful period of over dramatics onscreen), the director (Douglas Sirk-- is any better director of angst-filled, high color saturation, lavish set content?) and the suggestion of taboo subjects (Days of Our Lives - took years to catch up to this emotional goo, Dargo)

There maybe a "woman's story" of the 1930s that come close, but then it doesn't have the Technicolor, nor the heavy-duty histrionics of Southern gothic (it would need Marian Hopkins for that) and yet we would still miss Dorothy Malone's stand out performance by her eyebrows as a supporting character.

Oh yeah, this is one of the great soaps of the era,,, any era.

h4. By an eyebrow

158rj4.png

you know,

TCM aired (and I watched) La Imitaccion du La Vie ( in *LanaVision* ) this past week and I used the "Search Forum" function to try and dig up your Sirk thread so I could comment on it.

It returned *"Zero results for the term Douglas Sirk" in all forums* and suggested I try searching *"Douglas Shirk"* instead.

(I think the shearch function on this **** shucks.)

1297789815-written.jpg

I keep my eye on the oil wells. Pumping....pumping......pumping....

........oh baby. That's correct, Daddy Crude was a bi guy. No biggie.

I missed it this time, but saw it not too long ago. Love it! (Dorothy rocks!)

1297789815-written.jpg

Keep your eyes on those oil wells.....pumping.......pumping....

pumping.......oh baby. Yep, old daddy crude oil was a bi guy,

no biggie.

****! A BI guy??????? The ultimate phallic symbol scene. It had to be intentional. I'm in stiches every time I see it.............

Well, he is holding the evidence right in his hand. It is pretty

hilarious. I don't think anybody every accused Sirk of being subtle.

Could be. If I remember correctly, he didn't do very well in oil, but had a lot

more success with cowhide.

> {quote:title=Mr.Froy wrote:}{quote}

> 1297789815-written.jpg

>

> Keep your eyes on those oil wells.....pumping.......pumping....

> pumping.......oh baby. Yep, old daddy crude oil was a bi guy,

> no biggie.

>

I was wrong. Dorothy is a very sweet gal! :D

The combination of a women's grey tailored suit and a model oilwell will

make just about any woman look sweet. Yes, her character is a bit

loosey goosey, but she's still pretty sexy, despite the mental issues.

I wouldn't want to be alone with her in any place where cutlery is around.

I generally don't go for these "soap opera" type of films, but the overacting in this one makes it kind of fun (refer to a recent thread concerning HAM actors). Whenever I see Robert Stack I think of his part in Airplane , even more than "Elliot Ness". And I enjoy watching Dorothy Malone being a good "bad girl". By the way, I believe Lauren Bacall was working on this film while Bogie was in his last days, or maybe it was right after he passed.

Edited by: mrroberts on Jun 18, 2013 8:41 AM

Merilee (not sure if I spelled her name right) did enjoy a good drilling. (LOL. Sorry, I couldnt help it)...