Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most ROMANTIC Stars

MissGoddess

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Tyrone Power, and I'm thinking of that last kiss in SON OF FURY, which goes on record as one of the hottest kisses in classic film, in my opinion. He also had some great love scenes in LUCK OF THE IRISH, and I love him with Alice Faye in IN OLD CHICAGO when they're on the floor. Yummy.

Many romantic stars, male and female. Garbo was a great romantic star because she was so uninhibited; William Holden was so virile and gorgeous; Ingrid Bergman had a wonderful romanticism about her in love scenes; Gable was aggressive with his women, and that was exciting.

I haven't seen SON OF FURY in so long----it was one of my favorite Power films, though, and I'm so looking forward to its release onto dvd. :)

I agree with all you other choices, too. Garbo's romanticism was timeless and almost poetry.

Great taste!

I just saw this reply - sorry for the slowness of my response.

I have never seen THE TAMARIND SEED. In fact, I think I've only seen about 5 of Omar Sharif's earlier films - I've seen a few from more recent years though.

I will have to check that one out though.

I think my favorite is still, and always will be, Dr. Zhivago. I suspect he will always be most associated with that film (LOA is really Peter O'Toole's film)...and it is a fine film to be most associated with, if you ask me!

As for LOA - I'm glad someone else besides me finds that film tedious. Beautiful cinematography...but they could easily have cut an hour out of that film with no effect on the plot whatever. This film is definitely one of those instances where less could have been more.

It is a bad sign when a film is so poorly edited that you get bored enough to decide that Omar Sharif's hotness is the best part of the entire film. *lol*

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I find both LOA and DZ, tedious! I saw both of them during their original releases, and even in re-releases, and just couldn't bear the tedium. They even have scores that are repetitive and tedious. My favorite Omar Sharif role, is in THE TAMARIND SEED. But then, I'm not referring to his "hotness"! :-) The problem with seeing THE TAMARIND SEED, is that it is only available in the US, on a cropped video tape. It was filmed as a 'scope' picture, and the video severely comprimises the film. There is a region 2 (PAL) DVD, but that speeds-up the films, and everyone's voice is pitched, annoyingly higher than it should be. I don't know how those PAL people stand their videos! It is among my most wanted DVD releases.

HI Pktrekgirl!

Since my last post I actually did find an "Import" cd soundtrack of The Tamarind Seed and hope to receieve it in the mail soon. It's really an equisite score and the "Play It Again" song is memorable. I hope you can see the movie one day.

Have you ever seen on of Sharif's more recent movies, M. Ibrahim et les fleurs de Coran? Yes, it's a french movie, but it was a lovely and sweet story. Here is the Imdb.com link with more info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329388/

But yes, Doctor Z. is the pinnacle of Sharif's career.

Hi John!

I believe you are the first person I've come across who has seen, let alone admired, this movie. It's one of my all-time favorites and I watch my vhs copy quite often.

I agree it is in dire need of proper Region 1 dvd release. Maybe if Julie Andrews or Blake Edwards get a "box set" treatment it could be included?

I am actually getting an all-region dvd player/recorder soon, so thanks for the warning about the R2 dvd issues----I might otherwise have concluded the problems were with my machine!

Miss G

I could never think of Errol Flynn as romantic...*gags*...and I don't share the same opinion as most of y'all for Omar Shariff, but that's only because I've seen very little with Omar. Anyway, having said that, those whom I find romantic would be:

Ronald Colman - Geez! The guy was romantic even when he wasn't trying to be.

William Powell - His romantic side is especially one of my favorites, because of how witty it is.

Dana Andrews - He makes me melt in everything, but especially in My Foolish Heart and The Best Years of our Lives

Gregory Peck

Glenn Ford - For some strange, unknown reason I find him so romantic and attractive in Pocketful of Miracles.

Robert Mitchum - If I were ever paired with Robert in a film I would pass out. He's so dreamy. Lol.

Cary Grant

Fredric March

Brian Donlevy

Ginger Rogers - Especially in the Ginger & Fred films of course.

Van Johnson - Oh my goodness, Van just couldn't get any cuter. I can't believe he's going to be 91 this year.

I know I'm totally forgetting a bunch more....

Hi Miss G,

The Region 2s are only an issue with a film you know really well, like THE TAMARIND SEED. Although, I've gotten to the point where even if its a film I don't know, I get pre-occupied with the pitch of people's voices. Odd, I know. I love the film; and, it's one of the films that I enjoy more and more, with each viewing. I think Sharif is brilliant in it. I saw it during it's initial theatrical release, and, it did fairly good box-office here in the States, and even better box-office in the UK. What it never got was television airplay, so it sort of just disappeared, here.

MissG,

I have a multi-region player and I don't think the PAL speeds make that much of a difference.... In the end, all types of home video can only be an approximation to what it's like to watch a movie in a 35mm theatrical projection. Some are closer than others, but in the end they're still approximations... we sacrifice a little in terms of quality but gain a lot in the choices of movies that are available to us! :)

Hi Cinemascope---I won't let it deter me from getting my all-region "fix", that's for sure. Hopefully, I won't notice the difference but I'm kind of picky about those things. I have even remarked similar sound problems in other old movies broadcast on TV and it drove me crazy.

But, like you say, we can't have it all! :)

Cheers,

Miss G

Exactly. Me---I'm too impatient to wait!! :)

P.S. Do you think we will ever go to a format that is region-free? What if everything is just "downloaded" one day, from the web? Making dvds, et al obsolete? Just like I-pods. I sometimes feel like a dinosaur because I still buy cds!

Miss G

I certainly wouldn't rule it out, although Hollywood studios are notoriously reluctant to change their ways.

Not sure for theatrical exhibition, but for home viewing, it would make a lot of sense if at some point you could just download anything you wanted to see, and movie studios put out almost all of their libraries for people who wanted to download something.... makes a lot more sense than having to release stuff in physical items that have to be packaged and sent to the stores, I think.

Miss G, I never knew there was a soundtrack recording. I did find, a few years ago, a recording of a bunch of John Barry music. On it, there was a Tamarind Seed Suite, that has the main title, the music in the very beginning, when Judith is thinking of her husband's death, the long airport sequence music, and end title. I never actually compared the two, but I think this "suite", is in a different key from the actual film. Have a listen!

http://media.putfile.com/The-Tamarind-Seed---John-Barry

Hi John,

The cd I ordered (from Ebay) is an import (used), I believe. It also has the music from "Night Games" on it. I'm not sure what the quality will be, but there was a complete track listing so it seems to be the entire score.

I couldn't get the link you posted to work---but I'll try it again on my home laptop.

Miss G

Strange that it didn't work. It's just a link to where I have the file stored (an internet site), so you don't have to do a download. Oh well. Please let me know about the soundtrack recording, once you've had a chance to listen. A film's score, for me, can make or break a picture. Almost more than anything else.

The PCs at my office seem to block everything fun so I'm sure I'll be able to access it from home.

And I will certainly let you know about the cd once it arrives. Hopefully that will be this week. I agree about the importance of soundtracks. Some movies I like MAINLY because of the music include Hard Contract (1969--music by Alex North) and Rider on the Rain (1969---music by Francis Lai) and Love Story (1970---music also by Lai)

:)