Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most ROMANTIC Stars

MissGoddess

Garbo is so divinely romantic. She is one of the few stars that I truly love and believe in great romantic parts where she is utterly believable. It is hard to explain but she always suggests the ultimate romantic heroine as well as an intelligent and strong woman. Part of her secret is her extreme complexity, in "Camille" she can by cynical and tender at the same time, her knowledge of the world and its superficiality as well as her deep humanity and understanding of human frailty. It might also be part of that quality that always distinguises Garbo that is the way she presents love as an ideal. It does not really matter whether the lover is March, or Taylor or Barrymore what really matters is that she suggests to the viewer that complete and totally idealized love that she has created in her soul and which will always remain there. This is, partly what makes her "Camille" so memorable especially in he death scene where death really does not matter, we know and feel that her love for Armand is immortal because the actress has made us believe so.The same is true for her magnificent silent "Woman of Affairs". No matter how many failed loves she will have, no matter how weak Gilbert's character is when she looks at him from the utmost death of her soul straight in the eyes and tells him "Neville I have never said I love you to any other man", we do believe her and empathize with her. Even when she is not with a man, Garbo can express this ideal of love she has created through symbols whether that be the camelias in "Camille", the roses in "Woman of Affairs", the telephone in "Grand Hotel" or the different objects in the inn room where she has spent the night with her lover in "Queen Christina". Simply immortaL.

That's really beautifully expressed, Nakis. I couldn't have put it better. Garbo was the perfect actress to personify the ideal. The only actor I though ever matched her perfectly in that respect was John Barrymore. I wish she had made more films with him, rather than John Gilbert.

In contrast, Vivien Leigh's Anna Karenina was of this earth, less about love than about a woman's fears and frailties.

Totally agree with MissGoddessa and Cinemascope. Barrymore had that stature, shakespearean is probably the right world which magically matched Garbo's. That is what made their scenes so beautiful and romantic in "Grand Hotel". When she calls him "strange man" with that utterly sad and magical voice, one goes straight to heaven and Barrymore really know how to look and complement Garbo. As for Vivien Leigh's Karenina I was a bit disappointed by her performance, although she does bring some frailty to the part which is completely hers, but I was always most on the idealistic and heroic site, that of the absolute and sacred love which is Garbo's domain.

Garbo's scenes with Barrymore were sheer poetry. He was the only man she ever worked with in Hollywood she considered a "true gentleman". Knowing his often Rabelaisian behavior with the ladies, that he evidently comported himself very differently with her makes me think the respect must have been mutual.

normal_3170031_10.jpg

Hi John! As I promised, I'm sharing my "review" of the Tamarind Seed Soundtrack I received----it's just what I wanted! It has nearly every musical track from the film, except one or two "incidentals" that were sourced from radios in a couple of scenes. The quality is just fine----I don't have very high end equipment so I can't really judge how it sounds on anything better than a boom box or cd walkman! :)

On the disc are also tracks from another movie Barry scored, "Night Games". That music is fairly standard.

The cd jewel case is labeled "Imported from Holland".

Here is the artwork:

08_1_b.JPG

Miss G

• 1 month later...

I don't think i totally agree with Julie andrews and Omar Sharif. don't get me wrong, i love julie andrews and omar sharif, but they weren' exactly the most romantic couple in my opinion. if you want my opinion, i think that Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon are the most romantic pairing in all their movies together.