Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Desert Song

ricky1

This movie was made twice that I know of. Once with Dennis Morgan I think in the late 40's & again with Gordon McCrea I think in early 60's(?).Can't find it anywhere on tape & it's probably not on dvd. Does anyone know if they were ever released?Thanks

Early sound (and 2-strip Technicolor!) version from 1929, listed on the TCM site but not available and never shown. Someone somwhere may have it (probably not in color), but there's been discussion on these threads a couple of months ago and no one has come forth.

1943/44 with Dennis Morgan and Irene Manning. WB took it out of circulation when the 1953 Gordon MacRae version (w/Kathryn Grayson) was issued. The only way it's available is through a private dealer or two with access to film. Not shown.

The MacRae is the only one shown, and not in a long time. I have a VHS somewhere in all my tapes from TCM, and it looked fabulous, but I don't think they've shown it in at least the past three years (not since I got a DVD recorder), or else I missed it.

You could go to the "Search" on the forum page to find out when we may have discussed these. It comes up "last 90 days" by default, but you can set it for much farther back than that. Then you can read what we've said, or you can reply to a post there, which will bring the whole thread up for more discussion, without spreading the discussion over still another thread.

If you locate one, come back here (or the other thread) and say so.

Advice - Probably you already know (if/when you find one, or if you ask for someone to send you info): Don't post your e-mail or home addresses on the forum. Ask people to send you a PM; it's a lot safer than letting "just anyone" know where to find you!

Glad to have you here with the rest of us! And good luck finding one.

Bill

• 1 month later...

"The Desert Song" not available on DVD...I'm waiting for it !

It is available (new> on VHS and readily available on eBay and

I thought I saw it on CD Universe. Good Luck.

It is a wonderful musical, bit of puff for a story, but acceptable.

Have seen different stage versions in the past 20 years which makes it all the memorable !!

You may want to key into Amazon.com where there are several copies offered of the VHS tape.

I mentioned CD Universe earlier, since that is where I bot mine a few years back.

I have recently purchased a magnificent "ONE SHEET " of this movie. Very colorful

Good Luck

Are there any legal reasons that WHV couldn't issue a double-feature DVD with both 43 & 53 versions?

I sure that someone else knows more specifics. All I know is that WB shelved (deep-sixed) the '43 when the '53 was released. That probably included the '29 one as well, unless IT was shelved in '43. Possibly (strictly guessing) the original rights to the operetta for film purposes allowed only one in circulation at a time, and maybe that restriction still exists.

As I wrote earlier, Irene Manning's reels have been put to video years ago and have had limited circulation; a forum poster put me in touch with a copy of the '29 very recently. It is the only one that is the "real thing," as far as (almost?) all the music and the original story. It appears to be a filmed version (with some outdoor shots for atmosphere) of the original script, etc. The copy I now have sounds better than it looks, but it's really just about what we would have seen on tv 30 years ago. It seems that the master for it was taken straight from (16MM?) film many years ago; certainly not commercial.

Also, there are people on eBay with kinescopes of the '53 TV version with Nelson Eddy and Gale Sherwood (and that one brought forth an LP with NE and Doretta Morrow for Columbia). Every one of the recordings has SOMETHING that others don't - usually the songs for the secondary characters, in various versions. Some were issued in England only.

Bill

> Are there any legal reasons that WHV couldn't

> issue a double-feature DVD with both 43 & 53

> versions?

>

> I sure that someone else knows more specifics. All I

> know is that WB shelved (deep-sixed) the '43 when the

> '53 was released. That probably included the '29 one

> as well, unless IT was shelved in '43. Possibly

> (strictly guessing) the original rights to the

> operetta for film purposes allowed only one in

> circulation at a time, and maybe that restriction

> still exists.

Whichever rights issues may have existed at the time of their theatrical release doesn't necessarily apply anymore, and especially since the area of home entertainment appears to be governed by some very different rules. I don't know if anyone besides the studio owns the rights or if WB needs the permission from anybody connected with the source material. I suppose in theory it shouldn't be impossible to release the movies, if the rights issues are worked out and since WB presumably still has the negatives in its vaults.

Archived