Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Weekend Host on TCM

minatonga

I just saw on "Movie News" on this site that TCM will have a new weekend host starting Sept 6. The weekend host will be Ben Mankiewicz (he's related to the Hollywood Mankiewicz family) and the press release says he will give a "fresh perspective" to viewers and to new viewers too.

Had anyone else heard about this? Or did I just miss out on this? The press release did say that Robert Osborne will continue to host in the night-time but I still have a sick feeling that things perhaps might change on our beloved TCM.

Please share your thoughts on this bit of news.

Yeah, I got a press release on this too, and I like the idea. At least TCM is getting another host with ties to old Hollywood, and I'll bet Ben Mankiewicz has a lot of good stories to tell.

To be truthful, I was getting worried about Robert Osborne. A few months ago, he was looking and sounding a little sickly, and I wondered if maybe he had too much on his plate. (He's not a young man, you know.)

But ol' Bob seems to have recovered his old color, and I'm glad to see he's getting some help now. I think TCM's still in good hands.

I agree that Robert Osborne is a great Host (I'll miss him on the weekends), but I'm also willing to give the new weekend Host a chance in September.

Sometimes, it is important to make little changes that offer a "fresh perspective" to channels such as this, but my major hope is that "the suits" at TCM won't let what happened at AMC happen at TCM. That simply went too far!

I look forward to the change. It just proves my theory that Robert Osborne had all the information about the movies written for him and it did not come entirely from his recollection. I mean if Ben Mank recites info about an obscure 30's movie I gotta believe that the info is gathered from somewhere else.

I'm totally willing to give the new host every chance. My problem with AMC wasn't with the hosts age. Movie buffs come of every age. It was with the fact I detected no genuine passion or even viable interest. I think having a younger host is absolutely cool, I'm a young movie buff. I've said all along classic movies appeal to all ages. TCM should reflect that.

I do wish TCM would consider having the wonderful, warm Robert Dorian--former host of the long gone good days of AMC--as an alternate host. Robert Osborne was okay but he always seemed a little tense and formal. Osborne was more like the man on the streets. I still think it'd be great if they could have some of our very rare living movie legends on to introduce some of their old movies: like Anita Page, Liz Taylor, Shirley Temple, Jennifer Jones, Rhonda Fleming, etc.

I agree with you Paty that TCM should seriously consider having some of the old stars introduce the films once in awhile. And I'm sure that some of them would leap at the chance to do so. I know for a fact that Ann Rutherford is a BIG TCM fan - and wouldn't it have been nice if she introduced "GWTW" the other day? That would've been the coolest. She could've given first hand recollections of working on the greatest movie of all time. But - regarding this new host - it sounds like he's young, which in a way is good, since I'm young myself, and always love to see people around my age who are interested in the classics. I just hope this guy really DOES have an interest and his own knowledge of film history, and doesn't just read from a cue card like the bozo that AMC had before they completely went downhill. I guess we'll see.

Archived