Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do you think of the modern gangster films?

What I would specifically like to know is, what is your reaction to the gangster film of modern times? Is it too violent, should the gangster films have such a "cool" style to them through the use of editing and fancy camerawork? Is it too muc, should they be shown as less "cool"?

If you fill this out thanks a lot I really need this info, cheers!

What do you mean by modern times?

Assuming you mean post-1990, I will say that I love "Goodfellas." It is gripping and keeps the viewer on edge. "Pulp Fiction" was okay. The problem I have with Tarantino is that his movies seem to have nothing to do with the real world, unlike "Goodfellas," which is very specific as to when it takes place and where it takes place.

"Donnie Brasco" has been underrated, in my view. The "father-son" relationship between Johnny Depp and Al Pacino is terrific, and the movie feels like a documentary shot on the sly in the Seventies. (Of course, I realize now that the two films I like take place before 1990.)

Perhaps you could look into the fact that "The Sopranos" has gotten so much media attention and may then make any gangster film about Italian-American gangsters seem superfluous. "The Departed," is perhaps more a cop movie than a gangster movie, and it struck me as a little more empty than "Goodfellas." It seemed more concerned with plot twists, although Jack Nicholson gave a fine performance, in my view.

> What I would specifically like to know is, what is

> your reaction to the gangster film of modern times?

Can't stand modern gangster films. Too violent. Too boring. Too pretentious. Too long. They take themselves with utterly ridiculous seriousness (yes Martin Scorcese, I'm looking at you). And they're too badly acted.

Some of the gangster films that are mentioned such as Goodfella's depict a realism that some of the movies of the 30's and 40's were unwilling to touch. But no I cannot compare SCAREFACE of the 80's to that of the 30's two different era's.

But killing is killing and no matter what decade. I think the gangsters of today tend to kill without honor and that comes across in the newer films. ROAD TO REDEMPTION (2001) was made in the 1930's style real classy film too. I'm still a 1930's gangster guy and some of the new stuff makes me want to break out my GAT and clean house!

Modern Gangster films sometimes lack the story line of the older gangster movies. It seems to me that the gangster films of today are all about the violence and are empty in important areas of a movie. Granted I think that Goodfellas was one of the better movies. Goodfellas had the violence but it also had a good story line. Now the Sopranos there is a good show that shows both sides of the life of a gangster. That is what I like about The Sopranos, Goodfellas, and the early gangster movies.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't stand modern gangster films. Too violent. Too boring. Too pretentious. Too long. They take themselves with utterly ridiculous seriousness (yes Martin Scorcese, I'm looking at you). And they're too badly acted. - dfordoom

I was under the impression that the gangster life was pretty serious stuff.

Bad acting? You really must have something against modern gangster movies if you think the acting is bad. Most gangster movies have good acting. Well, it's a lot better than that cheesy acting they did "back in the day." Hell, I like all kinds of gangster movies, but modern gangster movies are none of the things you stated.

• 7 months later...

*The Godfather* and *The Godfather, Part 2* are modern classics -- I find it hard to believe they are over 30 years old. *Donne Brasco* and *Goodfellas* are among my favorite movies. But, for me, "Gangster" (as with genre films generally) is simply a device for the setting and moving the narrative. The key -- for any movie in any genre -- is whether the narrative opens my eyes and brain to a different way of looking at life.

Of course the older Gangster films approached their subjects differently in terms of dialog and visuals -- they (for the most part) were made under a Production Code that wouldn't permit much of what we see & hear today. Philosophically I'm opposed to such a Code, but as a practical matter I'm generally drawn to films that don't have graphic violence. Self-restraint can be a plus.

So why is the final scene of *Bonnie & Clyde* one of my favorites, even beautiful visually to me? "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds", I guess.