Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You Must Pay the Rent act

Does anyone know if there is a film that has the classic vaudville act of the "You must pay the Rent" in it?

I have been told that it is in a film that includes a bunch of women on a train heading west. Not sure if they are mail order brides or maids.

The only film I think of that has a train full of bunch of women heading west is the Harvey Girls ~ But I don't think that is the correct film.

Thanks,

Rings

I can think of a few: W.C. Fields "The Old Fashioned Way", and at least one of the "Our Gang" episodes where the kids put on a play. I seem to remember Alfalfa with a big black moustache and a top hat and cape.

I think maybe also a Betty Boop cartoon - I remember "You must pay the rent!" "But I can't pay the rent!" "Then marry me, or die!!" "I would rather marry you. Oh, I mean -- I would rather die!!!" That might have been from a Popeye cartoon or, since they were both Fleischer productions, both Popeye and Betty.

This is the one of few scripts of it that I could find. It's called a two man act in most cases and the props mostly used are a handkerchief & a comb. Handkerchief for the girls hair bow & comb for the villian mustache.

I know its not the women, Harvey Girls, and the person that keeps asking me about it claims it was a movie not a cartoon. I also thought I have seen it like in a Popeye vs Brutus over Olive Oil, the wolf or the Betty Boop cartoons

DAUGHTER: We must pay the rent.

MOTHER: We can't pay the rent.

LANDLORD ENTERS: Time to pay the rent.

DAUGHTER: We can't pay the rent.

LANDLORD: You must pay the rent!

MOTHER AND DAUGHTER: We can't pay the rent!

LANDLORD POINTS TO DOOR.

WOMEN PREPARE TO OBEY.

DAUGHTER FEARS FOR SICK MOTHER.

STORM HOWLS.

LANDLORD (to daughter): Unless---you pay the rent.

DAUGHTER: I--pay the rent?

MOTHER: Never! You shan't pay the rent!

MOTHER PULLS DAUGHTER TO THE DOOR, OPENS IT.

STORM DRIVES THEM BACK.

MOTHER COLLAPSES, COUGHING.

DAUGHTER IMPLORES THE LANDLORD TO SPARE THEM FROM BEING CAST OUT INTO THE STORM.

LANDLORD LAUGHS.

STORM HOWLS.

MOTHER RISES AND STAGGERS FORWARD TOWARDS THE DOOR AGAIN.

DAUGHTER: Stop! I'll pay the rent!!

LANDLORD ADVANCES TOWARDS HER IN AN EVIL FASHION.

MOTHER: No.

HERO LOOKS IN, IS HORRIFIED.

LANDLORD: Yes! Pay the Rent! SEIZES HER.

STORM HOWLS.

HERO ENTERS: Stop! I'll pay the rent.

MOTHER/DAUGHTER/LANDLORD: You'll pay the rent?

HERO PAYS THE RENT.

LANDLORD HESITATES.

HERO: I have paid the rent.

LANDLORD: Curses! Foiled again.

LANDLORD SLINKS OFF STAGE.

MOTHER (NEAR COLLAPSE): OH!

DAUGHTER: My Hero!

I can't prove it, but I think the act goes back further than American Vaudeville... it seems like one of the plays that was delivered straight in the mid-19th century days of showboats and traveling editions of "Uncle Tom's Cabin."

Of course, the idea of parodying one of those old-time melodramas may have sprung up in the Vaudeville era (1880s to 1920s. Amazing to think it was so short-lived, but then, so was the studio era of Hollywood movies).

> Does anyone know if there is a film that has the classic vaudville act of the "You must pay the Rent" in it?

The Three Stooges performed a version of it, with Ted Healy (*), in PLANE NUTS (MGM 1933).

http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=202

Moe, Larry & Curly did it again in the musical feature film TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM (Columbia 1941).

http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=223

Finally, Moe, Larry & Curly-Joe used the bit for one of the live-action segments of their animated television series, THE NEW 3 STOOGES (1965).

http://threestooges.net/episode.php?id=237

* The skit was a standard part of Ted Healy's stage act. When some of Healy's "replacement" stooges (Mousie Garner, Dick Hakins & Sammy Wolfe) went out on their own as The Gentle Maniacs, a more raucus version of the routine became part of their act too. They performed it in one feature film; I believe it was HIT PARADE OF 1937 (Republic 1937), but I don't have a copy of the film to watch & confirm that.

• 8 years later...

Westward The Women *** 1951 "A group of 150 Chicago women braves Indian attacks, rough terrain and Mother Nature as they head West to seek husbands." Robert Taylor, Denise Darcel, Julie Bishop, Beverly Dennis

Watch for Henry Nakamura as Ito and you will see a wonderfully fun rendition of "I can't pay the rent..."!!! This is a heartwarming movie filled with hope for love and new beginnings. It shows women (and men) in all their glory, empowered and vulnerable. These women are tough and strong and yet know their feminine side plays an important role as well.

I hope after all these years I have helped.

Happy watching!