Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SCARS OF DRACULA on late nite (and not in Canada, sorry)

LornaHansonForbes

In all the years I have been watching vampire movies, I can't say that I've ever seen this one. I've heard of it tho.

full disclosure, as with JAWS 3-D, SCARS OF DRACULA is another film whose impression on me is tinted verymuchso by the fact that first i saw it at a vastly different time of my life, and in a rather different world from the one in which we now live...

I rented it on video ca. 1988 when I was about 10 years old; after having seen DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS and DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE on The SuperStation and both made strong impressions on me- although i also thought they were kinda boring overall and decidedly on the tame side.

SCARS OF DRACULA, whatever else it may, be is not tame.

THIS MOVIE messed me UP!

The first four films in the HAMMER DRACULA series (which besides the two mentioned above are HORROR OF DRACULA and TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA) are basically all the same story, same general outline, same character types...and each contained increasingly little screen time and lines for Christopher Lee, SCARS OF DRACULA (made in 1970, the same year as TASTE THE BLOOD OF interestngly enough) is a radical departure from this.

it stands apart from the Hammer Draculas that came before in its obvious effort to shock and entertain us, and while the execution is maybe not always top-notch- the ambition and effort and visible desire to "give a show" is palpable and appreciated.

IT'S ALSO genuinely graphic and shocking; with a couple of scenes that are still surprising.

i really recommend NOT reading the synopsis on the schedule, it includes a spoiler.

full disclosure, as with JAWS 3-D, SCARS OF DRACULA is another film whose impression on me is tinted verymuchso by the fact that first i saw it at a vastly different time of my life, and in a rather different world from the one in which we now live...

I rented it on video ca. 1988 when I was about 10 years old; after having seen DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS and DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE on The SuperStation and both made strong impressions on me- although i also thought they were kinda boring overall and decidedly on the tame side.

SCARS OF DRACULA, whatever else it may, be is not tame.

THIS MOVIE messed me UP!

The first four films in the HAMMER DRACULA series (which besides the two mentioned above are HORROR OF DRACULA and TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA) are basically all the same story, same general outline, same character types...and each contained increasingly little screen time and lines for Christopher Lee, SCARS OF DRACULA (made in 1970, the same year as TASTE THE BLOOD OF interestngly enough) is a radical departure from this.

it stands apart from the Hammer Draculas that came before in its obvious effort to shock and entertain us, and while the execution is maybe not always top-notch- the ambition and effort and visible desire to "give a show" is palpable and appreciated.

IT'S ALSO genuinely graphic and shocking; with a couple of scenes that are still surprising.

i really recommend NOT reading the synopsis on the schedule, it includes a spoiler.

Hasn't there been some sort of hullabaloo about this film being shown on television? It looks pretty gorey for 1970.

I'd like to see this. I don't have a recording device, but if I drink a glass of milk before bed, chances are...

the last period hammer dracula as well as the last decent entry. lee finally as a few more scribs of dialogue and recycled at that.

this fella paul winds up at dracula's castle after a mad ride in a carriage and the count is once again mister hospitable just like in the first film...

sleep well, mr. harker, sleep well mr. karlson. :D

patrick troughton is just ecstatic to get that locket with the babe's picture in it. well worth the price of cleaning up the count's knife attack.  :)

but if she was a vampiress than how could a knife attack kill her? she must've been in a borderline state but still sported fangs. :D

yeah, that's it. :)

• Like 1

the last period hammer dracula as well as the last decent entry. lee finally as a few more scribs of dialogue and recycled at that.

this fella paul winds up at dracula's castle after a mad ride in a carriage and the count is once again mister hospitable just like in the first film...

sleep well, mr. harker, sleep well mr. karlson. :D

patrick troughton is just ecstatic to get that locket with the babe's picture in it. well worth the price of cleaning up the count's knife attack.  :)

but if she was a vampiress than how could a knife attack kill her? she must've been in a borderline state but still sported fangs. :D

yeah, that's it. :)

and bats! plenty of bats! this film loves bats! :D

Speaking of 1970s gore in vampire movies, I remember being shocked at how graphic House of Dark Shadows was seeing it in the theatre in 1970.  Being familiar with the show, but not having seen many vampire movies in a theater I was, at 14, really amazed in comparison to the tameness of television.  And I did enjoy it.

• Like 1

Speaking of 1970s gore in vampire movies, I remember being shocked at how graphic House of Dark Shadows was seeing it in the theatre in 1970.  Being familiar with the show, but not having seen many vampire movies in a theater I was, at 14, really amazed in comparison to the tameness of television.  And I did enjoy it.

I believe they were emulating the success of Hammer's gore at the time. Personally, I think they went overboard with the blood in House.

• Like 1

I caught the last half hour of Scars, and tho I'm not a Hammer fanatic, I thought it was pretty good. Christopher Lee seemed to have a better part than his previous Dracula excursions and that appealed to me. I'll catch the whole thing one of these days.

• Like 1

Yes, HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS is a singular (and very effectve) experiment, one which we likely won't see the likes of again. it takes the slow-moving and often static world of daytime television, imagines the story in a different medium, and it's jarring how fast the story moves and the amount of violence the occurs, things happen constantly in the movie, action even unfolds as the credits roll.

• Like 1

Recorded it and watched it last night.  One of those movies that as scenes unfold I remember having seen it before, but have no clue as to what happens next in the movie.  

In retrospect it was fairly good and better than some other Hammer vampire movies.

Found it interesting that Jenny Hanley could go traipsing through the woods and not get a spot on her nice, light colored clothing.

• Like 2

That's a nice, compact analysis of House Lorna.  I need to give it another look after so many years.  The weekend before Halloween I make a habit of seeing Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist, as a tradition thing.

TCM used to show HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS quite a fair amount, in fact it aired on their very first week of programming back in the nineties...seems like the last time they ran was it because the makeup artist (Dick Miller?) was getting a lifetime achievement Oscar.

TCM used to show HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS quite a fair amount, in fact it aired on their very first week of programming back in the nineties...seems like the last time they ran was it because the makeup artist (Dick Miller?) was getting a lifetime achievement Oscar.

Dick Smith

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings