Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Update on Robert Osborne

Barton_Keyes

TCM's social media team provided today the most information anyone at the network has yet provided on the status of the 84-year-old host.

In response to a question on Facebook about Osborne's whereabouts, TCM responded: "Host Robert Osborne is off on a well-deserved break. When he returns to air, we'll be sure to tell everyone in the community here."

CfhzU8LXEAA6bxX.jpg

So the official word is that Osborne will be back in some capacity eventually. But given that he hasn't appeared on air in several months and has also bowed out of attending the upcoming TCM Cruise, I can't help but feel that this kind of talk from TCM is just wishful thinking. At this point I seriously doubt Osborne will be back on-air again, except to maybe formally announce his retirement.

• Like 1

I agree Barton. Also, in recent months, we were led to believe he was still doing behind-the-scenes work, as in writing things for the magazine and the on-air wraparounds. But now they are saying he's on a break, which would indicate he is not working for them in any capacity.

Perhaps I shouldn't speak so fast. I notice that the evening of January 25, 2017 is billed as 'Bob's Picks' on the schedule -- films selected by Robert Osborne.

This programming staple used to be called 'Bob's Picks', but since Osborne's leave of absence the monthly programming has been referred to more formally as 'Robert Osborne's Picks'. Perhaps the return of the informal title indicates that Osborne will be back on-air for TCM in January.

They'd have to start with the original airing of GWTW.

The really neat trick for this would be if they also added the wrap-up segueing into the next movie from a totally different air date. I'm guessing after 20 years RO intro'd enough movies that they'd be able to do this.  What a puzzle that would make!

Of course the only theme they could hang on this would be all movies hosted by Robert Osborne.

Yancey

• Like 2

They'd have to start with the original airing of GWTW.

The really neat trick for this would be if they also added the wrap-up segueing into the next movie from a totally different air date. I'm guessing after 20 years RO intro'd enough movies that they'd be able to do this.  What a puzzle that would make!

Of course the only theme they could hang on this would be all movies hosted by Robert Osborne.

Yancey

Are you saying they would use a different concluding wraparound from a time he did another commentary on the same film? 

I'd like to know which movie(s) he did filmed remarks for most often. My guess is it would be NORTH BY NORTHWEST, because it's aired so frequently in primetime and has been an Essential.

OP: I can't help but feel that this kind of talk from TCM is just wishful thinking

I think so too. I think Robert Osborne is tired.

It also seems like he's battling some illness, he is so short of breath when he speaks and has taken several "leave of absence" from hosting. I would hope he still can write for TCM, but if even that's too much for him, I wish that he would just take it easy and enjoy the time he has left.

• Like 1

I've seen a kinescope of Robert Osborne as a contestant on "Beat the Clock".

LOL

REALLY?!

(...so what little stunt did Bud Collyer have Bob perform in order to win that Sunbeam toaster or some other lovely prize package???)

;)

LOL

REALLY?!

(...so what little stunt did Bud Collyer have Bob perform in order to win that Sunbeam toaster or some other lovely prize package???)

;)

No not really. I didn't take Bud Collyer's advice to, "Remember, it's important to TELL THE TRUTH". (or whatever his exact words were at the end of each show)

Top Billed -

If you started with the very first showing of GWTW then followed it with the next movie RO talked  about after that original airing was over, as it was intro'd anytime in the intervening 20 years, then you could try and follow that one up with the movie he outro'd at the time and so on.

That would be the ULTIMATE TCM programming challenge of all time! 

I wonder if it could be done.  If not then as you say take an outro from another airing of GWTW and go from there.

Yancey

• Like 1

Are you suggesting guessing the movie just from viewing the intro/outro?

You'd have to bleep out the title, as RO's general last words (for example) are: "So enjoy 1960's THE BELLBOY"

It would only be a fun game if viewers/guessers had a "hot" button to slam, guessing before someone else gets it!

PS I play a similar game all the time....I call it "name the movie within 10 seconds" it's pretty fun. I'll stop into someone's house with the TV on and name the film within 3 seconds or two scenes.

It's particularly fun with the old AFI "100 years of movies" compilation. Sometimes you can't even say the title fast enough before the clip changes! I think there's only one or two I can't name.

• Like 3

OP: I can't help but feel that this kind of talk from TCM is just wishful thinking

I think so too. I think Robert Osborne is tired.

It also seems like he's battling some illness, he is so short of breath when he speaks and has taken several "leave of absence" from hosting. I would hope he still can write for TCM, but if even that's too much for him, I wish that he would just take it easy and enjoy the time he has left.

do U know him well tiki?

Are you suggesting guessing the movie just from viewing the intro/outro?

You'd have to bleep out the title, as RO's general last words (for example) are: "So enjoy 1960's THE BELLBOY"

It would only be a fun game if viewers/guessers had a "hot" button to slam, guessing before someone else gets it!

PS I play a similar game all the time....I call it "name the movie within 10 seconds" it's pretty fun. I'll stop into someone's house with the TV on and name the film within 3 seconds or two scenes.

It's particularly fun with the old AFI "100 years of movies" compilation. Sometimes you can't even say the title fast enough before the clip changes! I think there's only one or two I can't name.

U are movie queen Xpert Tiki!

Top Billed -

If you started with the very first showing of GWTW then followed it with the next movie RO talked  about after that original airing was over, as it was intro'd anytime in the intervening 20 years, then you could try and follow that one up with the movie he outro'd at the time and so on.

I wonder if it could be done.  If not then as you say take an outro from another airing of GWTW and go from there.

Yancey

I wonder if it could be done, too. Like a gigantic puzzle, fitting all the wraparound pieces together.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings