The Getaway   ***

Nashville   ****

Dreamscape   ***

Coma   ***

Shenandoah   ***

The Prisoner of Shark Island   ***1/2

• Like 2

1/1 

I agree that the Hitchcock marathon is exciting! There are a few that I haven't seen: 

Torn Curtain

Family Plot 

The Trouble With Harry.  

They didn't even include North by Northwest! Lol.  With the exception of The Birds and Psycho, these Hitchcock films aren't aired as often as some of his other ones.  Rear Window never gets old.

1/2

Lizzie.  I'm a fan of Eleanor Parker and Joan Blondell.  I don't recall seeing this film on any of the past few years' schedules.

I like the tribute to Steinbeck.  I actually thought of that idea for my Programming Challenge schedule, but ultimately didn't put it in there.

1/3

A Ray Milland birthday tribute.  He's someone who I recently discovered on TCM.  I like him well enough in The Major and the Minor and Dial M For Murder.  I thought he was fantastic in The Lost Weekend.  

I'm interested in watching Close to My Heart, because it also co-stars Gene Tierney, whom I am a fan of. 

A Life of Her Own also sounds interesting, as it sounds like it is one of my favorite genres: overwrought melodrama.  I am somewhat indifferent to Lana Turner, sometimes she's good and other times, she's just... there.  But I am interested in seeing more of the other stars, like Ann Dvorak and Jean Hagen.

All month features one of my favorite genres: jail movies, though it's not women in jail, but this block does feature some films I'm interested in: 

Cool Hand Luke (a famous film I've never seen.  I also like Paul Newman)

Brute Force (Features Burt Lancaster who I am a fan of.  I think I may actually have this film recorded)

Each Dawn I Die (I am trying to see more of Cagney's work.  I think this film may actually be on my Cagney Gangster Movie collection, I'll have to check before I record it). 

1/6 

Julia.  The plot of this film sounds interesting and I like Jane Fonda.  I am not too familiar with the other people in this film.

1/7

An Innocent Affair.  I like Fred MacMurray and haven't seen this film before.

The evening of the "Road" films looks fun! 

1/8

Elvis: That's the Way it Is.  Elvis documentary.  I like documentaries.

Harvey.  I haven't seen this film before. 

Brief Encounter.  I heard a lot about this film the last time it aired, but I didn't watch it.  Then I saw that this film is on Criterion.  I feel like I need to see what all the "fuss" is about.  I love a good romance film (a true romance film, not necessarily a rom-com, though I am not entirely opposed to those either).  

1/9

TCM must have bought a bunch of Red Skelton films in bulk, because they just had a tribute to him during SUTS.  A little of him goes a long way, though I did like him in Three Little Words (which isn't showing).  

I may record Bathing Beauty, even though I've been finding Esther Williams to be about as interesting as an unsalted rice cake (aka styrofoam), but I keep watching her films, because I want to see the spectacle of the swimming numbers and she seems to have interesting co-stars! In addition to Skelton, this film has Basil Rathbone! and Xavier Cugat! Lol. 

I'm not really sure what the theme "Movie Night Menu" means.  Is TCM going to suggest a meal to go with one of the films? 

1/10

Hollow Triumph with Paul Henried and Joan Bennett sounds interesting.  I have been trying to see more of Bennett's films. 

1/13

Lady Takes a Sailor with Jane Wyman, Dennis Morgan, Eve Arden and William Frawley sounds fun.

*Apparently Jane Wyman and Dennis Morgan made a lot of films together.  It looks like this whole day is dedicated to their collaborations. 

1/14

Tarnished Angels, a Written in the Wind reunion (minus Lauren Bacall).  This sounds like another entry in one of my favorite categories: overwrought melodrama.

1/15

Features a whole evening of Fatty Arbuckle/Mabel Normand silents.  These could be interesting if only to see films that are over 100 years old. 

1/16

MLK day is not Sidney Poitier day this year.  It looks like these films are more issue based-- like civil rights and segregation.

1/17

What?! An Errol Flynn marathon!! I own all the films except Kim, so there's nothing new to see here, but it's still nice to see nonetheless.  It'd be a shame if I were sick that day (no I wouldn't call in sick to watch movies I already own). 

1/18

Cary Grant birthday tribute. I haven't seen Crisis or Room For One More.  

The Guest Programmer scheduled a bunch of musicals and City Lights.  City Lights was so cute.  I'd love to record it and watch it again (provided I don't get the film for Christmas). 

1/19

A Woman Rebels.  A Katharine Hepburn movie I haven't seen. 

A Flame Within.  I've been wanting to see more of Ann Harding's films. 

Here Comes the Groom.  A Frank Capra movie featuring Bing Crosby and Alexis Smith, two people I like, plus Jane Wyman and Franchot Tone--two people who I haven't formed an opinion about yet.  Plus this movie has Louis Armstrong! 

The Doughgirls.  A film featuring a bunch of people I like: Ann Sheridan, Alexis Smith, Jack Carson, and Eve Arden.  Plus Wyman and others.

1/21

Dana Andrews movies: Boomerang, Fallen Angel, and Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

1/24

Yeah! Ladies in Prison movies! 

House of Women

Ladies They Talk About (I've seen this before, but it made me laugh.  Worth watching again)

Condemned Women

So Young, So Bad

Riot in Juvenile Prison (A riot! in Juvenile prison no less!) 

1/26

Janie Gets Married.  Another Ann Harding movie.

Lucy Gallant.  I love movies about fashion and this film features an Edith Head cameo! 

• Like 2

Like jakeem and speedracer, I'm glad to see the Hitchcock tribute on January 1.

I'm especially happy to see ROPE on the schedule. That movie hasn't aired on TCM since "Sunday With Hitch" a few years ago.

For the evening of movies adapted from John Steinbeck's works, CANNERY ROW is scheduled. The promotional short for this movie has been seen on TCM for a long time, but I don't think the movie itself has ever been on the schedule till now.

Yes! A tribute to Vanessa Redgrave on January 6.

I've never seen JULIA, but I am very much looking forward to this movie, which features Vanessa Redgrave in the title role, Jane Fonda as Lillian Hellman and Meryl Streep in one of her earliest (maybe her first) movie appearances.

I'm also looking forward to A QUIET PLACE IN THE COUNTRY starring Vanessa Redgrave and her real-life partner Franco Nero.

On January 8, HANNAH AND HER SISTERS is scheduled as part of a Woody Allen double feature.

I'm always drawn into this movie if I happen to catch it on.

(ANNIE HALL is the other Allen film scheduled.)

On January 11, Terence Malick's DAYS OF HEAVEN is scheduled.

HEART BEAT starring Sissy Spacek is scheduled in the overnight hours on that day.

I really excited to see GIRL WITH GREEN EYES on the schedule for January 15.

The movie features the wonderful Rita Tushingham and Lynn Redgrave.

I've wanted to see this movie for awhile now so I hope it is not bumped! 

Some great Errol Flynn movies are scheduled during the day on January 17.

I never tire of CAPTAIN BLOOD or THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD.

Jacques Demy's wonderful THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG is one of the Guest Programmer selections scheduled for January 18.

When I saw that one of the spotlights for January was Stars Behind Bars, I was hoping that THE COMPANY SHE KEEPS with Jane Greer  would be on the schedule, but it's not. :(

However, SO YOUNG, SO BAD (1950) about "reform school" girls looks interesting. The movie features a young Anne Jackson and Rita Moreno (billed as Rosita Moreno). 

• Like 3

Yes! A tribute to Vanessa Redgrave on January 6.

I've never seen JULIA, but I am very much looking forward to this movie, which features Vanessa Redgrave in the title role, Jane Fonda as Lillian Hellman and Meryl Streep in one of her earliest (maybe her first) movie appearances.

"Julia" was Streep's screen debut. She talked about it during the American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award presentation to Jane Fonda in 2014.

Great variety this month, from established classics to unfamiliar titles. Among the ones I haven't seen and would like to:

The Moon Is Down - I like WWII resistance/collaboration movies, and have included this one more than once on programming challenges.

In the Mood for Love

Hope/Crosby road movies - These Paramount films haven't been shown much on TCM

Carry On Cleo - Perhaps TCM can get more of the Carry On series.

Othello - Directed by Orson Welles

They Were Sisters & They Met in the Dark - These titles would make a great double feature. Actually, I'd like to see the other three 1940s James Mason movies again--Odd Man Out, The Seventh Veil, The Wicked Lady.

Some less familiar titles I'd recommend:

A Life of Her Own - The opening has one of Bronislau Kaper's greatest themes. The movie isn't as good as the music.

Daughters Courageous - Not a remake of or sequel to Four Daughters. It's like a parallel universe where most of the actors from Four Daughters play more or less the same roles. Not shown that often on TCM.

The Tarnished Angels - Great noirish black & white cinematography. Probably the only 1950s film where a guy considers pimping out his wife to get the entry fee for an airplane race. One of Douglas Sirk's best films.

Honeymoon for Three - Who knew that George Brent could play screwball comedy? Ann Sheridan is a delight, as usual.

Fallen Angel - If you see only one of the movies from the Dana Andrews tribute, this is the one. First-rate film noir. A must for Linda Darnell fans, too.

The Wagons Roll at Night - Sylvia Sidney fans will enjoy her performance as a phony fortuneteller in a carnival.

Between Two Worlds - Highly recommended. Passengers on a ship eventually realize that they are on a voyage to the afterlife. Great cast includes John Garfield, Eleanor Parker, Faye Emerson, Paul Henreid, Sidney Greenstreet, Edmund Gwenn, Isobel Elsom, among others. Warner Brothers had a great stock company in those days.

Hotel Berlin - Based on a novel by Vicki Baum, author of Grand Hotel, it's essentially a version of Grand Hotel set in the last days of the Third Reich. Helmut Dantine, Andrea King, Faye Emerson, and Raymond Massey head a strong cast.

• Like 2

I noticed there are quite a few James Stewart films airing, from outside the TCM/Turner library:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-10-25%2Bat%2B6.48.0

1.01-- rope (wb, now owned by universal); vertigo (paramount); rear window (paramount); the man who knew too much (paramount, now owned by universal)

1.04-- the man who shot liberty valance (paramount)

1.07-- the far country (universal)

1.08-- harvey (universal)

1.19-- magic town (rko, now controlled by republic/paramount)

1.21-- bend of the river (universal)

1.29-- shenandoah (universal)

• Like 1

That's great, TopBilled, but some of us-myself included-don't get FXM retro, so ANY classic Fox film is noteworthy.

I didn't see any of James Stewart's Fox films on the January schedule. A good one is THE JACKPOT, with Barbara Hale. I don't think it's ever aired on TCM.

• Like 1

TopBilled, I was referring to your Prisoner of Shark Island comment. Sorry for any snafu.

Oh okay. Now I get it. LOL

Well, that film has been on DVD for several years. Fox released all the Ford titles early on. So I'm surprised people haven't seen it yet. A lot of public libraries probably have a copy.

Anyone notice any Margaret O'Brien films besides "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" on the afternoon of January 23rd? Her 80th birthday is on January 15th, and I'm surprised TCM didn't schedule a tribute.

Our-Vines-Robinson.png

O'Brien and Edward G. Robinson in "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" (1945)

Anyone notice any Margaret O'Brien films besides "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" on the afternoon of January 23rd? Her 80th birthday is on January 15th, and I'm surprised TCM didn't schedule a tribute.

Well, as we learned with no films on Kirk Douglas' 100th birthday in December, TCM does not feel obligated to mark every single milestone birthday of the stars.

This month looks to be very strong in "out of library" fare. Looking mostly at prime time, here are the films I intend to watch, either because they're "out of library", or if they're "in library", they still air rarely, or I haven't seen them, or I just really like them. Some airing data below cribbed from MovieCollectorOH's database. Gonna limit this post to roughly the first half of the month, possibly do another post in a day or two.

JANUARY

Vertigo - Not necessarily a TCM rarity, but being from Paramount, aired less frequently than some of Hitchcock's other films. I've never really sat down and made a list, but this is probably one of my 10 favorite movies of all time. I try to catch it every time TCM airs it. It will be the first TCM airing in three and a half years.

The Moon is Down - Never heard of this 20th Century Fox film. Interesting cast of folks who don't necessarily always get major roles. A TCM premiere.

Brute Force (Universal) and Riot in Cell Block 77 (Allied Artists) - Never seen either. The former is also airing in November. The latter is a TCM premiere.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence - One of John Ford's last films, generally considered one of the all-time-great Westerns. From Paramount. First time on TCM in three years.

Public Wedding - Part of Jane Wyman SOTM. From Warner Bros., but I've never seen it. Must have been a B-film, only 58 minutes long! It's aired twice this year, but I didn't see it either time.

The Seven Per Cent Solution - From Universal. Sherlock Holmes meets Sigmund Freud! What a cast! Nicol Williamson, Robert Duvall, Alan Arkin, Vanessa Redgrave, Laurence Olivier, Samantha Eggar, Joel Grey! In the same movie! A TCM premiere? Can't find it in the database. Could have sworn I saw it on TCM before, but maybe I rented it.

Road to Singapore and Road to Zanzibar - A night of Crosby/Hope/Lamour road movies! First airing in two years for the former, first in six years for the latter.

11 The Killers - The hero in this Universal noirish thriller is Edmond O'Brien's insurance agent (sticking up for the business' good name after what Fred MacMurray did for them a couple of years earlier), but it helped make Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner stars. It aired in May of this year.

12 The Lost Weekend - I try not to miss any Billy Wilder Paramount or any Ray Milland film period when TCM shows them. Been in steady TCM rotation recently. Last aired in June and airing again in December before this airing.

14 Dillinger - Warren Oates, Ben Johnson, from AIP. A TCM premiere.

15 I Was Happy Here (Rank) - Looks like a kitchen sink Brit drama. Sarah Miles. A TCM premiere.

17 Jailhouse Rock (MGM) and Weary River (WB) - Two "in library" films, but I've never seen either. Somehow, one Elvis movie I've missed. I've always read it's one of his two or three best. It's been on twice this year. The latter is an extremely early part-talkie. I'm kind of fascinated by that brief era of film. First airing in two years.

• Like 1

The Seven Per Cent Solution - From Universal. Sherlock Holmes meets Sigmund Freud! What a cast! Nicol Williamson, Robert Duvall, Alan Arkin, Vanessa Redgrave, Laurence Olivier, Samantha Eggar, Joel Grey! In the same movie! A TCM premiere? Can't find it in the database. Could have sworn I saw it on TCM before, but maybe I rented it.

I checked this one.  It is in there, but the fancy use of hyphens throws off the alphabetic order  This is just erroneous default behavior.  It shows up as the last entry under "Seven", as in "The Seven-Per-Cent Solution (1976)".  For the future I think I will make it ignore hyphens for alphabetizing.  I recently did something similar to make foreign accent characters alphabetize like English characters.

I have it as shown 5x between 2005 and 2006.

• Like 1

Great variety this month, from established classics to unfamiliar titles. Among the ones I haven't seen and would like to:

Carry On Cleo - Perhaps TCM can get more of the Carry On series.

One of the better and more famous Carry On's

but, like "CO Cruising", seems to be more available than the rest of the classics--Probably an ownership issue.

But yes, I'd just gotten hooked on Carry On (most of the core classics are on Amazon VOD), after, like most Yanks, discovering that "Are You Being Served?" was only a shameless imitator.

speedracer5

1/1 

I agree that the Hitchcock marathon is exciting! There are a few that I haven't seen: 

Family Plot

Never saw Family Plot?  That was the first Hitchcock I saw, as a kid!

(Not as well known, and definitely more tongue-in-cheek from the NbNW writer, but it's as good to see "contemporary" 70's Hitchcock as Frenzy, and considerably less icky.)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings