Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tygra

Who Likes Danny Kaye?

Who all here likes Danny Kaye movies? I know that I absolutely love them. Which is your favorite? Does anyone know about a collection coming out?

Message was edited by:

Tygra

My favorite would probably have to be "The Kid From Brooklyn". He's great in everything I've seen of him. Do you have "The Best Of Danny Kaye"? It's strange because there's two vhs versions. One is 45 min long and the other 90. Then the dvd version is 78 min long if I remember correctly. I wonder if the astronaut scene appears in any of longer versions with Jose Ferrer. A while ago I got the 45 min vhs, but it didn't have that scene in it.

I've never seen The Best Of Danny Kaye. What exactly is it? Tidbits from his movies? Or from everywhere? Are they fun to watch?

This is the description:

"See the late, great Danny Kaye in all his old-world Hollywood Glory in this collection of classic numbers from his Emmy Award winning television years hand-picked by his daughter Dena, plus the tongue-twisting classic from THE COURT JESTER."

I had fun watching it but there's more footage on the 90 min tape. The clip that sticks out the most for me is with Louis Armstrong. Danny asks him if he remembers how the song goes( "When The Saints Come Marching In") and Louis takes out his trumpet and starts playing. They're full of laughs.

I showed "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" to my kids this summer. We rented it on VHS from Facets. They had a blast with the movie. We watched it Thursday, and they insisted on watching it again on Friday. They still repeat bits from the movie even now.

It seemed like a movie that had been re-edited quite a bit, fooled around with in post-production. Still, it was very good. "The Court Jester" holds together better and is very funny.

But no, I don't think much of Kaye is available on DVD. It didn't seem that way on Netflix last summer.

I absolutely love Danny Kaye. He's my all time favorite comedian/ actor/ all that other good stuff. I have The court Jester and The inspecter General on DVD and those didn't seem edited at all. Those are two of my favorite movies of all time and I love the Danny Kaye show...awesome all around!

Maybe you got a bad copy of "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty". My copy doesn't look like it's been cut or anything. It's great that your kids loved it. It really is an excellent movie, in my mind anyway.

Message was edited by:

Tygra

Have you seen Wonder Man? I really like that one, and it's my wife's favorite of his.

Did all of you enjoy the ending to "A Song Is Born"? The part where they are playing loud music to make the objects fall off the shelf and onto the bad guys. I thought it was funny and brilliant at the same time.

Oh, yeah! I love A Song Is Born. That ending was quite funny, and thoughtful, for sure. And I absolutely LOVED the music! I mean, Benny Goodman, Louis Armstrong, etc., etc... you can't go wrong!

Not such a tremendous fan of Kaye's, although, I did like his television show. Of his films, I really like him in WHITE CHRISTMAS and HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN. I just don't tend to like frenetic comedians. The more "normal" he is, the more I like him.

I, too, enjoyed his television show. He used to have a little girl visit at the end

named "Victoria," I think. I was about her age at the time, and he seemed

so genuinely attuned to the child in himself that he seemed to relate so naturally

to her and the audience. (At least according to my memory.)

For those seeking to purchase the vhs or dvd of his television years, this is what it looks like.

208354.jpg

Thank you, metsfan, for that wonderful scan and info about the television series! I know that I appreciate it, and I'm sure others do, as well.

His films: I love "The Court Jester," and "Hans Christian Andersen'!!. And I always watched his TV show!

I really envy those that were able to see his show on tv. Was the astronaut sketch with Jose Ferrer funny? It's nice to see many of you posting about Danny Kaye and enjoying his work. Keep it up!

DannyJoseredoastro.jpg

For those that saw his television show, which guest stars were the most memorable?

I've tried to watch all the DK movies that have shown on TCM lately, and I also rented The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. He's not my favorite comedian, but it's sad to see his movies apparently being slowly forgotten due to lack of a proper DVD re-release. At least all of the Goldwyn and MGM titles should be made available again.

Thank you. I, also, agree that it's sad that his movies aren't enjoying any DVD releases. I think they should have them available. I also agree with metsfan: It is wonderful to see everyone writing in and giving us their input. Was that the Astronaut scene you were talking about?

I think White Christmas was one of the greatest showcases for his talent.

He did a little of everything. I feel the same way about Vera Ellen

and her contributions.

But the funniest was the "Sisters" routine right before they hop out the window...

That has to be one of the funniest scenes I have ever seen (the "Sisters" number w/ the guys). I laugh my butt off every time I see that. They did a good job on that movie.

I wish when I laugh my butt off, it would just stay that way....

I loved the girls dresses and the fans, too.

But it looked like those fellas had such fun filming the sequence,

and that made it all the more appealing. HISterical.