Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Likes Danny Kaye?

Tygra

Yes Tygra I believe most of the people have voted, maybe they didn't put any post or message with it but I believe they voted. I wish more people would vote on some of the old old classics that he did not just the ones that are already everyones favorites. Maybe then we could get some of thsoe classics released on DVD.

Welcome back, metsfan! It's good to see you again! - honestly, I don't think I have a favorite of his. I like every single one of his songs, so it's hard to pick a few. I tend to like his more silly stuff, though. On a seperate note, I just bought and watched "On The Riviera".... It was good, and he did a great job! I can see why he got a Golden Globe for it. I really liked his version of "Ballin' The Jack". He was very smooth. Although, I didn't think it was quite as funny as his Goldwyn movies. I like him better in the funny ones. What do you think of it?

Message was edited by: Tygra

Tygra, like you I also favor him in comical roles but he great in everything. I will have to look for my tape to see this film again. I'm guessing it was a remake with certain changes from Don Ameche's "That Night in Rio" (1941). I'm glad you finally got it to add to your Danny Kaye collection.

Thanks for the kind welcome!

You're very welcome! You have a very good handle on movies, because "On The Riviera" had a special featurette on it about the fact that it was indeed a retake on "That Night In Rio" (and one before that that was a movie version of a Broadway play, believe it or not). By the way, if you're thinking about the Sleep Time Medley as "Lullaby In Ragtime", then I agree that this is a very good one of his, and one of my favorites. I really like his song about the music Professor in "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty" (of course I don't know what it's called...), I also like the "Bali Boogie" song in "Wonder Man", the "Gypsy Drinking Song" in "The Inspector General" and the Jester song in "The Court Jester", among others...

• 1 month later...

I see that everyone here loves Danny Kaye movies but not many of you mention a classic that I last saw in England and that is "Knock On Wood". Have many of you really not seen this? If not then I implore you to make some heavy request to TCM or anyone to at least show the movie on TV. It is an absolute must see movie. Where as I have not seen "On the Riviera", so I must confess that I haven't seen them all yet either.

Kusz, welcome back! It's great to see you on hear again as well! Knock On Wood is the one Danny Kaye movie that I want to see the most out of the ones I have not yet seen. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it anywhere on dvd or on tv... So I whole-heartedly agree with you that we all need to do some heavy requesting to TCM and the company who owns the copyrights. Hopefully, if everyone will pitch in on this, we might get somewhere.... Also, On The Riviera is out on dvd, it's a pretty good movie, and you might like it. Check it out sometime. Anyway, let's take Kusz up on this suggestion, all!

Message was edited by: Tygra

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas, all!!

I don't know about any of you, but i've already watched White Christmas twice. I think I'll watch it again before the season is over... I hope you all have a great Holiday, and that it's full of joy and peace and love.

Merry Christmas, all!!

I don't know about any of you, but i've already watched White Christmas twice. I think I'll watch it again before the season is over... I hope you all have a great Holiday, and that it's full of joy and peace and love.

Merry Christmas to you all and enjoy all the good classic movies throughout the holidays.

I'll be watching my favorite for this time the classic Charlton Heston in "Ben Hur" the story of the Christ. I just love this movie.

Once again Merry Christmas to you all and Happy New Year!

• 2 months later...

I have not and am anxiously waiting for someone to put out some of the greatest classics ever that aren't even being shown on TV. Such as Danny Kayes' "Knock on Wood" and even Bob Hopes least known "Off Limits" with Mickey Rooney. Two outstanding classics that seem to have been forgotten or lost. The last time I was able to see them was overseas in the UK. I'm wondering if this is the only place to get classics like this.

Another thing that's maybe even harder to come by are uncut copies of his CBS TV program of 1963-67. Though he had big name guests and was contemporary with Jackie Gleason, Red Skelton, etc. Danny's show is virtually forgotten.

Just checked the site you linked on your post and it came up with no files found under the "Danny Kaye" search. Is there something else either I or you missed? Some one else told me you could find the Knock on Wood movie on a site called EMule did anyone ever hear of it?

I 've just seen a couple of clips from a movie with Danny Kaye titles "Merry Andrew", it looks like a very good movie has anyone else seen this movie? It looks like another one of those movies that we need to see on the TCM network. I wish they would stop holding on to movies of great caliber when hollywood seems to only know how to remake the classics nowadays.

"Merry Andrew" was played in either late 06' or early 07' because I remember taping it. Danny was enjoyable with the kids as well as the animals in the film. He finds love on his journey and comes back to the school in the end.

merry-andrew-400.jpg

The chimp was fantastic.

Hi everyone! It's great to hear from you again! Thank you SO much for the links to Youtube! I never even thought about going on there to look for Danny Kaye stuff! -And that's the first time I have seen anything from "Knock On Wood"! quite funny, actually... It truly is a shame that great classics like these are forgotten.