Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Likes Danny Kaye?

If you liked that scene, then you would love to hear him sing his version of the Irish drinking song. It was another great tongue twister that Danny is famous for, plus there were many other goings on in this movie. It had so many things going on that everytime I was able to watch it in England it seemed like the movie lasted several very good hours.

That sounds like something I wouldn't want to miss! -by the way, did somebody say they knew who owned the rights to Danny's Goldwyn movies? Because I'm thinking about sending them a letter or e-mail (or both) to see if maybe we can get some of these movies released on dvd soon... I don't know, maybe they'll listen. It's worth a try!

If you find out, please let me know. That is something I would be glad to join you in. Who knows maybe we'll be just the right amount of people complaining that will cause them to listen. Lets' hope so.

I just was on the IMDB web site and there are some people that on the comment line posted some comments that they have copies of this movie and some of the other older movies with other actors. I don't know how legitimate this is but I'm going to see if I can get a copy and I'll let everyone here know how it turns out. Lets hope for the best since Hollywood is just sitting on some of the great classics.

Sounds great, Kusz! Let me know what happens... By the way, I found out from IMDB that it looks like the Goldwyn movies' distribution rights went to RKO Radio Pictures, Inc. ... I wasn't sure if that's where they are or not, but I went ahead and e-mailed them to ask if they would release them. I'll let you know what I find out in that area. "Knock On Wood" said that Paramount owns the rights to it. I'm going to e-mail them to see if maybe they would release it. And I'll let you know about that, too.... If anyone else has any ideas let us know! :o)

• 3 weeks later...

Well tygra, this is what I got from the person who has some rare Danny Kaye. I have a copy of the movie"Knock On Wood", it's not of real great quality. It was recorded on a type of VHS machine off of a network TV station. He tried real hard to not get the commercial breaks and basically all you see is the initial station identification symbol. So there are some breaks but in general the movie stays constant and from everything I remember from seeing the movie back in England, he didn't leave anything out. Everything is there for your enjoyment. I for one am glad that I have it since it is so rare to find. The price is rather high I think. But I'll get the movie "Merry Andrew" from him, because he sent a sample of the other Danny Kaye movies he has and "Knock on Wood" is the only one that has that taped off of a tv station type quality. The others are from non commercial viewing I guess. So write me at my email address bkuszak@hotmail.com and I'll give you his information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My sister and I love Danny Kaye! She was trying to remember a movie with him but couldn't think of the name, and we didn't see anything like the storyline in filmography. Danny and some other men were classical music "critics" that want to learn about jazz. Danny gets elected to go out from their sheltered musical environment to get the scoop. Hopefully someone knows the name of this one? Thanks for any help : -)

I believe the movie you are looking for is called "A Star Is Born" not to be confused with a movie by the same name that I think Barbara Streisand is in, but I'm not sure.

Actually, Kusz, you're right about the movie. It's actually called "A Song Is Born", though. I love that movie because of Danny and the great big band music in it. (it actually has greats Benny Goodman, Louis Armstrong, Lionel Hampton, Tommy Dorsey, among others in it.) It's great!

Thanks Tygra, i apologize on the mis information. I do like the movie I had it in VHS but it was from england and now I don't have the proper equipment to watch it. But all in all still a very good movie.

I love Danny Kaye! When I was a kid I had his record about the Fox from the Court Jester that I used to play over and over again, much to the consternation of my family. (Maybe that's why they don't invite me to Thanksgiving...) Besides being an amazing all-round entertainer with boundless talent, I always thought the string bean was sexy as all get out! (Apparently a thought shared by Laurence Olivier). He was a hoot in Wonderman! I love his dancing in White Christmas, or anything he does. And his sword-play in Court Jester was really fun, especially against Rathbone who was superb with a blade. I still Tivo him whenever he's on and collect as many DVD's as I can. His Walter Mitty is a delight and it's fun to have all those Goldwyn girls draped all over him!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

*I absolutely love this guy! I loved him in the movie with Bing Crosby and Cast in "White Christmas"... I've seen this talented actor/dancer in many other movies... and I think he's amazing and so darn funny! I loved him in the movie "The Five Pennies!"... wonderfully done and casted.*

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love Danny Kaye. It is so hard to find all his movies on DVD. I think that he is great with Virginia Mayo. They are a great pair. I fell in love with his movies back in the 90s when there was a marathon on AMC. I taped as much as I could on VHS. Now I am searching for better quality. I would love "Knock on Wood" but I can't find it anywhere!

He had such a great voice. I think that is one of the biggest reasons I liked his movies so much.