Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Likes Danny Kaye?

Yes, Danny Kaye and Virginia Mayo were a great team! I loved all the movies they were in together, as well. He offers great feel-good laughs. By the way, I have great news for all you Danny Kaye lovers! You probably have seen it, but they are releasing A SONG IS BORN on dvd April 7th! And they have a great price of $12.74. If you like Danny Kaye, Virginia Mayo, and some GREAT big band/jazz music: this one's for you! One of my favorites.

Message was edited by: Tygra

When it comes to Danny Kaye, what's not to like? He was so talented. He could do it all---comedy, drama, singing, dancing, you name it! I loved his dance routines with Vera-Ellen in "White Christmas". I believe he was underrated as a dancer. As great a dancer as she was, he managed to keep up with her all the way. And I also loved him with Virginia Mayo. They made such a believable couple. An interesting side-note: in a Danny Kaye biography I read that his wife (Sylvia Fine) became jealous of Virginia Mayo. It seems that after about five movies together, she was becoming more and more famous, and eventually her name, as well as his, appeared above the title, and Sylvia felt that she was drawing too much attention away from her husband. Has anyone else heard about this? As we all know, there are lots of fragile egos in Hollywood.

Terrence.

• 3 months later...

Terrence, I haven't heard about Sylvia being jealous of Virginia Mayo, but I wouldn't doubt it. If the roles were reversed I think I would have been quite jealous if my wife was with the same man alot. I think it's just part of having human emotions... on another note, I got A Song Is Born for my birthday! I love it. Quite a good movie, and it's a very good copy. I felt like a little kid on Christmas! It's great.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not as a big fan as when I was a kid, but "The Court Jester" still cracks me up,"The chalice from the palace holds the brew that is true etc.' His "Walter Mitty " is great fun and"White Christmas" is always a holiday favorite. We always watched his TV shows and he proved to be an excellent dramatic actor . Wait a minute, maybe I'm still a big fan. When you watch "White Christmas" and him and Crosby are doing the "Sisters" number pay close attention to Crosby when they finish singing, It was not rehearsed but Kaye slaps Bing across the belly with the big feathers they were using and Crosby gets tickled and starts to laugh. He wanted to redo it but they left it in the film...

• 4 months later...

It's that time again! Who's going to watch White Christmas this year? I know I'm going to watch it again - it's a tradition for me, I love this movie! I always get a kick out of it, and look forward to seeing it again. I hope all your Christmas' are wonderful this year, and that you get to enjoy this movie!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Was astonished to find recently recently that he made several recordings with the Andrews Sisters. Still remember his performance as Captain Hook in _Peter Pan(Made-for-TV, 1976)._ Wish that would come out on DVD or be shown on TV! I love reading the book adaption of his movie, _The Man_ _from the Diners' Club(1963)._ That film is so geared to his talents, that while reading the book, adapted by *William Blatty*, you just can't help picturing him! My favorite motion picture of his: _Hans Christian Andersen(1952)._ That was always the best, but if you see _Hans Christian_ _Andersen: My Life as a Fairy Tale(Made-for-TV, 2001),_ that might even be a bit better.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone they are taking pre orders for the Danny Kaye movie "KNOCK ON WOOD". To be released in September of this year. Yeeeeeehaaaa! If you haven't seen this movie, buy it sight unseen for it is great, you won't be disappointed.

Great news! This is perhaps Danny Kaye's best film next to "The Court Jester." And it's no coincidence that both movies were written by the great comedy team of Panama & Frank. Look forward to seeing Clarence & Terrence again. For me, the only catch is Mai Zetterling - a real stiff.

This is all wonderful news, people! Thank you so much Kusz and smiler for the info! It's great to see new releases of Danny Kaye's movies... I'm definitely going to buy Knock On Wood when it comes out! - still looking forward to Wonder Man and The Kid From Brooklyn to come out on dvd... Danny was just such a great in all he did, he was amazing.

Tygra, I do believe that Wonder Man has already been released and has been out for awhile, it may even be discontinued by now. But check Amazon. com or UnlimitedMovies they should have it if no one else.

• 2 months later...

Very happy to say that Danny's masterpiece "Knock On Wood" is finally out today on DVD. I just watched it and it's as funny as ever and the picture quality is pretty crisp also. One of Panama & Frank's most clever scripts. "Gromek." "You're welcome."

> {quote:title=Kusz wrote:}{quote}

> Hey Smiler, with Mai Zetterling in this picture maybe that's why it's called "Knock on Wood".

Ha, yeah---Clarence & Terrence are less wooden than Mai. She wrote a book and said she hated this movie, and didn't like Danny or Panama & Frank either.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much, Kusz... I knew Knock On Wood was out, but I didn't know they released a new version of Merry Andrew. I have never seen that one before, and was curious how it was. I also just found out they are releasing a remastered version of The Inspector General. I thought that was great news! I like that one, and thought they needed to remaster it. :o)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

nickster1n1 - All good movies! I think they need to re-release remastered versions of Wonder Man, Walter Mitty, The Kid From Brooklyn, and the rest.... I would buy them on blu-ray! I hope they keep doing more classics for this medium, it would be good news for Danny Kaye fans! He deserves the go-over.

• 8 months later...

Hey all! :)

Big news! There are big plans going on for Danny Kaye's 100th birthday celebration! Headed by his daughter, Dena, they are planning all kinds of GREAT stuff! If you want to know a majority of what they are doing, you can go to Dannykaye.org and see what kind of stuff they have planned! It starts with the release of Christmas With Danny Kaye in November (which I am definitely getting!). Check it out! And what do you all think? Let me know.