Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Preston Sturges - Filmmakers Collection

I was delighted today to purchase Universal's new DVD collection, which includes 7 of Sturges' finest films produced at Paramount in the 1940s, including two of my all time favourites, The Lady Eve and The Palm Beach Story. The packaging is very nice, much improved for a Universal DVD product, and includes reproductions of original posters for all 7 films.

I only hope this collection sells well, and will encourage Universal to add Ernst Lubitsch, Rouben Mamoulian and William Wyler to the list of directors included in future Filmmakers Collections.

Bravo Universal!

I agree. I liked the packaging for the Sturges Collection. I wanted it for The Great McGinty, and Sullivan's Travels. I was disappointed that it did not include The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. KINO has a William Wyler Collection out with two of his excellent talkies Counselor At Law and The Good Fairy, as well as a part talkie Love Trap. There was an excellent Lubitsch set on laser disc, I would love to upgrade it to dvd, but I would like them to add The Man I Killed (aka Broken Lullaby) to the set. It was one of Lubitsch's rare forays into drama. A very interesting anti war film.

Thank you for that tip on the Kino William Wyler dvds---I'm going to look for them!

And I've never seen The Man I Killed---hopefully since it was on laser disc it will make it to dvd one day.

Miss G

Thanks to everyone for your enthusiastic responses. Unfortunately I did not collect laserdiscs and so I haven't seen many of the early Lubitsch sound films for many years - The Love Parade and Monte Carlo at a film society screening when I was in university, One Hour with You and The Man I Killed ltaped long ago from late night TV including commercial breaks. Sadly I've never seen The Smiling Lieutenant. The prints of Trouble in Paradise from Criterion DVD and Design for Living (Gary Cooper Collection from Universal) are both excellent. Paradise is my favourite Lubitsch film. (The Merry Widow a close second.)

For some reason The Miracle of Morgan's Creek was not included in the Sturges package but is available from Universal as a single title DVD, see Amazon.com.

I have purchased and enjoyed both Counsellor-at-Law and The Good Fairy from Kino DVD and enjoy and recommend them both.

THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK is not available on Universal DVD, but from the studio that originally made it, Paramount, for the following reason:

"The Miracle of Morgan's Creek was excluded from the sale of Paramount's extant pre-1949 talkies to MCA/EMKA because MCA - and Paramount, reportedly, as well - had serious reservations whether the film could be shown on television at all. (One file memo speculated that it would never be shown on tv.) As MCA was primarily buying the films to syndicate them to television, it passed on Morgan's Creek.

"Eventually...following Paramount's creation of its own syndication unit for its post-1949 films, MORGAN'S CREEK found its way onto the airwaves.

"The Sturges film is probably the only major pre-1949 Paramount sound feature actually owned by the studio."

• 2 weeks later...

I especially enjoyed the song that Claudette Colbert and Miriam Hopkins sing.

I love precodes. Did you see Design For Living or Torch Singer?

Sorry if I moved towards another thread, but I enjoy talking about those movies

and rarely am afforded the opportunity to chat them up.

Glad to hear from you MissTexasRunnerup. I have never seen either The Smiling Lieutenant not The Torch Singer, sadly, but do own Deesign for Living on DVD and do enjoy it! I am hoping that Universal will soon issue a Claudette Colbert collection along the lines of the Carole Lombard and Gary Cooper collections and include some of her early non-DeMille films from the pre-1936 era. I am a very big fan of this lovely talented lady.

Would you tell us what extras are included with the set? Are there audio commentaries? Additional/deleted scenes? Documentaries? Short Subjects and/or cartoons? I'm a sucker for this stuff. Thanks!

Oh, and in case you weren't aware, there's a DVD Forum here on the TCM Board where people post their reviews. This would have been a great thread for that Forum. Check it out.

Not so lucky for me; as a rule, I don't buy 'em unless they have extras. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where classic movies pop up on big screens (as well as TCM), so don't feel compelled to buy DVDs unless there's extra material. Thanks for the update, Mr. Cliff.