Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Select Your Star Candidate

im4cinema2

It is 1950 and Billy Wilder is directing a film about a Millionaire business man named Trump and a female senator named Clinton running for President.   It is a comedy. The business man will be played by Spencer Tracy.  Who would you cast as the female senator?  The choices you have are:  Joan Crawford,   Bette Davis, or Katherine Hepburn.     My choice:   Bette Davis.  She was a favorite of Wilder and can portray some nasty characters in some roles.

It is 1950 and Billy Wilder is directing a film about a Millionaire business man named Trump and a female senator named Clinton running for President.   It is a comedy. The business man will be played by Spencer Tracy.  Who would you cast as the female senator?  The choices you have are:  Joan Crawford,   Bette Davis, or Katherine Hepburn.     My choice:   Bette Davis.  She was a favorite of Wilder and can portray some nasty characters in some roles.

Hmmmm...well, seein' as how just two years prior to this, Frank Capra made a movie similar in concept to this one(known as "State of the Union" and also starring Spence), what I'm actually wonderin' here isn't so much which of these three ladies you've limited my selection to might best fit the role of the female senator, but more what Capra might think of Wilder kind'a sort'a ripping off his idea of a "millionaire businessman running for President".

(...but of course IF this thing would be a ROMANTIC comedy, then ya GOTTA go with Kate Hepburn as the senator/presidential candidate here, 'cause with Tracy as the male lead, you'd then pretty much have "Adam's Rib Goes to Washington", wouldn't ya) ;)

• Like 1

ME?  I'd rather cast EDWARD ARNOLD as the businessman and  JUDY HOLLIDAY as the female senator.   ;)

Sepiatone

I agree that those two would make a solid team especially since the film concept here is a political comedy.    Arnold played similar political roles in many dramas but he could handle comedy as well.    Some might feel Holliday is too much of a numbskull to play the part but with sound direction she could tone down that persona.

But given the actual choices of the OP,  I would agree with Dargo that Hepburn is the logical and best choice.   She was better at comedy than Crawford or Davis.

• Like 2

chalton heston.

Wait! "Chuck Heston" as the female senator/presidential candidate???

I thought the OP only gave us a choice 'tween Crawford, Davis and Hepburn for that role here, dude?!!!

Although now that I THINK 'bout this, I suppose with a good wig, a little makeup and a little padding in the proper places, this might work.

(...still though, gotta say I don't think Chuck would've made a very attractive female, senator or NOT...in fact, I'd think by comparison he'd probably even make Cary Grant's turn as a war bride look halfway decent...and I think we ALL know how bad Cary looked in that one...nope, didn't believe for a MOMENT that the dude could pass for a female!!!)

LOL

• Like 1

im4cinema2, I'm guessing you and I aren't voting for the same person for president. A few choice phrases in your post seem to give away your political leanings: you want the extremely dignified Spencer Tracy to play Trump, and you think Bette Davis would be best to play Cllnton because she can play "some nasty characters". You seem to be echoing Trump's own reference to Clinton as "such a nasty woman". Since I don't find Clinton to be a nasty character at all, I don't find one's ability to be nasty on screen as a recommendation to portray her.

Instead of Tracy, who I see as infinitely too intelligent to ever credibly replicate Trump's third grade vocabulary, I see Trump best being portrayed by Eugene Pallette. They both have that same kind of bull in a china shop, can't control what's coming out of their mouth next persona. They both growl a lot at women capable of standing up to them. And in real life, they both seem to have similar views about anybody who isn't white. Hepburn seems a fine choice to me to play Clinton. She could replicate that outward bravado potentially masking inner turmoil or doubt that I think I see in Clinton sometimes.

• Like 1

I see Trump as someone from the outside who became very popular, ego inflated along with confidence. Then the past come creeping in to possibly ruin his chances.

To me that's "Lonesome Rhodes" from A "Face in the Crowd" . So I nominate Andy Griffith. Andy could appear to bring in much of the same demographic as Trump is now. I think its a match. And Rhodes had and issue with a woman that could bring him down, as does Trump.

I see Hilary as someone who has the credentials but, not very popular at all. And she has a past also that she would rather not discuss. 

I would nominate Barbara Stanwyck. By the 50's she was a veteran of the movies, had a fine filmography. Yet, there are those ( even on these boards ) who don't think she's all that special. And she has played some characters who did some bad things in the movies. Just as some feel Hilary did some bad things.

If someone like Katherine Hepburn plays the candidate, she would be expected to win. It has to be someone well known but, we're not quite sure if it will work out.

Tracy is too dignified. He could play the older ex president who is disgusted with the whole campaign on both sides.

Just my opinion. I like these games btw.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd have to argue with the basic premise.  At the time a sizable majority of American opposed women running for president, and weren't that wild about them running for any other office.  The first female senator to be elected for a full term who wasn't a widow of a male politician was until 1978.  Until 1993 there were no more than two elected women senators at any given time.  Obviously Hepburn would be the most convincing example of a female senator.  But a Tracy/Hepburn conflict would imply a romance, which given the conventions of the time, would involve Hepburn, as the woman dropping out.  This is problematic in several ways.  First, it would annoy the party she'd represent, which would hamper the box office.  Second, given the nature of political partisanship, anyone who got so high up in the party to become its nominee would likely be fairly hostile to the opposing candidate.  Third, why would Hepburn play such a role?  One thing about the conflict in Adam's Rib was that Hepburn and Tracy were already married. 

Another thing is that presidential candidates would be more likely be in their fifties or sixties,  And actresses in their fifties and sixties tend to be ignored in Hollywood.  Gloria Swanson would be interesting.  Margaret Dumont and Groucho Marx would be an interesting choice.

• Like 1

I agree that those two would make a solid team especially since the film concept here is a political comedy.    Arnold played similar political roles in many dramas but he could handle comedy as well.    Some might feel Holliday is too much of a numbskull to play the part but with sound direction she could tone down that persona.

But given the actual choices of the OP,  I would agree with Dargo that Hepburn is the logical and best choice.   She was better at comedy than Crawford or Davis.

I was thinking  satire as to my choice of Holliday.  And on SECOND thought, in that vein I'd choose ANDY DEVINE to do the Trump part!  But then, Andy had better HAIR!

But in tone with the OP's given choices, I'd have to agree with Hepburn.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I want to thank EVERYONE who responded to my posting.  All your answers have been thoughtful and witty.  I hope more will respond and keep the thread alive at least until the REAL election comes along.  Bless you all may the best man/woman win!

Considerin' the choices we have this year, you're kind'a loose with that whole "best" thing here, ain't ya?! ;)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings