Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"High and Mighty" promo

I can't believe that a week ago or so when TCM played the high and the mighty that it was the first time it ever aired.....I really am besides myself.....I am a big John Wayne fan and this is not one of my favorite films of his, actually it is near to the bottom of the list for me....but anything that the duke is in I will watch.....commercial airplane movies such as this are a turn off for me since I hate to fly I don't want to watch movies about it. I do enjoy movies such as Only Angels have wings and Murder in the Clouds.

I use to have plane crash dreams as a kid. Then when I saw La Bamba that sealed it for me since he had plane crash dreams also. I still remember seeing awfull vivid images of plane crashes on TV. I can still picture that plane that crashed into the icy potomic river in Washington DC. I can also still see in my head the bodies and the luggage floating around in the icy waters and the rescuers pulling bodies from the twisted wreckage. Curse the news and the fear it spreads. I believe that the days before TV were a much better time. That is one reason I am so obsessed with classic film. It is like a time machine for me... I would give anything to travel into the past (pre-1945) and live. Watching TCM gives me peace.

I have flown only a few times, living in the DC area, I saw that plane coverage you are speaking of-it was sad and terrible. As for the movie High and the mIghty-it is ok-not the greatest, another film Wayne made around the same time I liked better was Island in the Sky which deals with the rescue of a downed plane in a wilderness area in winter

take care-oh pre1945 films work for me as well-though i do like some later ones.

FredCDobbs: The trouble is, it wasn't supposed to be funny!!!

Oh - I think the promo (NOT the 1954 preview! - the one minute one TCM has prepared) is indeed supposed to be just as hilarious as it is. Right up there with the "Old Rocky" one that's showing lately. Good work, TCM! (or at least, good choosing of production companies)

Bill

> FredCDobbs: The trouble is, it wasn't supposed to be

> funny!!!

>

> Neil

Right, the movie was not supposed to be funny, but the promo uses an "Airplane" type of narration that make the scenes in the movie seem funny. People smoking, the co-pilot slapping the pilot, people yelling and screaming, the airplane on fire, while in the promo the lady narrator makes everything seem nice and normal.

After I saw that movie as a kid, every time I got on an airliner I'd have mental visions of all the passengers going berserk while we went down in flames, while the pilot and co-pilot were having a fist-fight in the cockpit.

It never happened of course, but for the hours of the flight this is the mental image I couldn't shake.

The odds of being killed during a scheduled airline flight are about one per million--nearly four times greater than the odds of being killed in an automobile ride. But most car trips are for far fewer miles. Per passenger mile an automobile ride is 10 times more likely to result in fatality than an airplane journey.

> The odds of being killed during a scheduled airline

> flight are about one per million--nearly four times

> greater than the odds of being killed in an

> automobile ride. But most car trips are for far fewer

> miles. Per passenger mile an automobile ride is 10

> times more likely to result in fatality than an

> airplane journey.

Statistics don?t mean a danged thing when I?m up in one of those aluminum coffins and the plane is bouncing around while the pilot is trying to find his way through the thunderstorms and clouds so he can miss the mountain that is on the West side of the Tegucigalpa airport while he?s trying to avoid the sheer cliff drop-off on the East end of the runway.

I didn't fly in a jet till I was an adult - and what a shock! I felt like I was in a mid-town bus being flung through space. I'd always imagined it would be so much roomier and solid feeling - despite the movies! I've never flown first class, though - maybe that's the way to go!

First Class is fine when everything goes smoothly and you like to be first off the plane when it arrives at the gate, but if you're afraid to fly, you're best advised to listen to an old National Transportation Safety Board official who once remakerd:

"We've never had one go in (meaning crash) tail-first."

I got to ride First Class one time. They ran out of seats in coach, and they put me in First Class. The seats are much wider, free champaign, better food. And. lol, we arrived before coach arrived.

> First Class is fine when everything goes smoothly and

> you like to be first off the plane when it arrives at

> the gate, but if you're afraid to fly, you're best

> advised to listen to an old National Transportation

> Safety Board official who once remakerd:

>

> "We've never had one go in (meaning crash)

> tail-first."

I've flown in every area of a plane, depending on where the most survivors were located in the last crash I heard about.

I like the tail the best, because it's supposed to be the safest part. However, when I rode in the tail of a giant 747, I could see the entire rest of the airplane warping up and down at different rates. The front and tail would dip down while the center was going up, and the center went down when the front and tail was going up. I never realized that a big plane would warp so much while in flight. I expected it to rip apart right in the middle.

The smaller DC-3 was much tighter. The whole plane went up and down all in one piece. But with the giant wings I felt that it could land ok with no engines. To take off, the pilot had to dip the nose down first, to get the tail up off the ground, then he had to pull up slowly so the whole plane would get off the ground without the tail wheel hitting the ground. And when it got up and banked, it could bank left or right at about 45 degrees. I'd be looking out the window almost straight down.

But the real thrill was the Goodyear Blimp, which I got to ride around 1964. Strange experience. The gondola was all wood like a 19th Century boat, and the windows raised up like a house window. I could stick my head out a window and look straight down. No noise at all. The engines were way in the back. We just floated around for a while.

One of the things that bothers me about flying is that out of all the ways on this planet to die, a plane crash has got to be the worst way to go....with auto accident next....in a car I feel safe, esp. when I am driving, because i am in control. In a plane, you have no control whatsoever and it is kind of frightening......I did sit first class once and it was alot better...once in a flight to India I was comfortable because I had a huge row to myself. this was 10 years ago...but in the last 5 years every flight was horribly uncomfortable...and the food has gotten worse. I mostly always take a train across the country to visit my family...eventhough it takes a lot longer it fits in with my love for things pre 1950. I wish that they still made the train cars nice like they did in the early part of the 1900's...I have alot of great train stories but that is for another thread.

> The voice is the same voice that used to announce

> Delta Airlines on-board safety video.

>

> I swear, it sounds just like her, if it's not

> actually her.

It could be her. Aren't TCM and Delta both based in Atlanta?

There was a famous lady's voice for all the phone companies back in the 1960s and '70s, and I read something about her. She was the lady who said, "I'm sorry, but this number is no longer in service and there is no new number." She had been used by the phone company for years. But the big companies like the phone company, Delta, and TCM often use major commercial film, video, and audio companies to make their recordings, and those companies have a list of men and women who do their different voices for different projects.

Like when you buy an answering machine and there is already a voice on it to answer your phone.

I think the biggest problem with the plane is the fore-warning about a crash. Like being half-way across the ocean and then an engine catches fire. Doh. 6 hours more to go in the flight, nothing but water below, and after seeing "The High and the Mighty" I imagine the pilot and the co-pilot having a fist fight in the cockpit.

Then there's that situation of the airplane out of Hawaii that lost half of its top which ripped off, and it took nearly an hour to get back to land. And there are storms I've been in where the wings were flapping like a duck, and I'm thinking that the wings on a plane aren't supposed to flap.

There was a situation down in New Orleans about 15 years ago were a plane from Central America went through a thunder storm and both engines went out. The plane was about 10 miles from the airport and didn't have enough air speed to make it to the airport. The pilot told the co-pilot to look for a place for a crash landing, but the only thing below was water, swamp, or streets. Finally the co-pilot spotted a long mowed grass lawn, more than a mile long. The only one of its kind in the country. It was a special place at a NASA facility. The pilot said, "Ok, we'll land there." And the danged pilot did land that plane on that long lawn and everyone survived. A chance in a billion.

I mostly always take a train

> across the country to visit my family...eventhough

> it takes a lot longer it fits in with my love for

> things pre 1950. I wish that they still made the

> train cars nice like they did in the early part of

> the 1900's...I have alot of great train stories but

> that is for another thread.

That is something I wish was still going strong. Trains were so elegant, as were the great ships like the Queen Mary. I too have a love for things pre 1950.

Amtrak still runs passenger trains. I used to ride them a lot in the 1980s, mainly from New Orleans to El Paso, through the West Texas desert. I would always see deer, antelope, jackrabbits, and coyotes along the route. They got so used to the Amtrak train they weren?t afraid of it.

I had one bad experience in the Northeast, going up to DC and back to New Orleans. There were some unruly passengers up in the Northeast.

Here is a link to the national Amtrak map. Go to the ?NEW INTERACTIVE? part and click on one of the downloads. The dial-up download takes about one or two minutes to load but it shows the entire Amtrak system.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/Page/Routes_Index_Page&c=Page&cid=1080072922209&ssid=4

There are some very interesting trips anyone can take if they are in the right places. For example, anyone living in Los Angeles should sometimes take an overnight trip to Gallup, New Mexico, and stay there a couple of days. This will usually require a car rental in Gallup. The town itself is a whole museum of Indian stuff. Lots of Indian jewelry stores with fabulous Navajo and Zuni jewelry. Lots of old historic sites.

About 2 hours north of town is Window Rock, the Navajo Nation headquarters, and about 2 hours south of town is the quaint village of Zuni. This is a very rare treat. This is the same village the Zunis were living in when the Spanish first found them in the late 1500s. They still live in their old adobe and stone buildings. Now they?ve got satellite dishes attached to their adobe buildings.

The place to stay for movie buffs is the El Rancho Hotel. The old part. It?s nice and clean. This is where all the old movie stars used to stay when they were in town making western movies.

http://www.elranchohotel.com/

Go to the Amtrak website and type in a departure city and an arrival city to get the time schedule.

Thanks Fred, I use Amtrack when I go to San Francisco, and when I fly into Boston to get to New Hampshire. I just wish they looked like trains used to look inside. It is fun to take to San Francisco with my daughters, then when we get there we don't have to worry about parking, the busses and subways are great.

It sure would be fun if we could all get together and charter a streamlined 1930s observation car and pay to have Amtrak pull it from San Francisco to New York. We could all have a big party!

I wonder how many of us would disappear on the train and who the ?suspects? would be? Lol.