Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NipkowDisc

The Triumph of Donald Trump

and the return of good old water boarding and war crimes.

This week's Economist focused on Canada.    One area it explained was the point system for immigration.   This system allows for legal immigration that lets in those individuals that are most likely to benefit the country.    E.g. college graduate levels are higher for immigrants than the general Canadian population.     Of course one reason this system works so well is that Canada doesn't have a lot of illegal border crossings since their only land border is with the USA.     While Canada is welcoming thousands of Syrian refuges they use what many would define as extreme vetting.   

In addition the article focused on the difference between the USA and Canada and why certain things that work well in Canada should be given a try in the USA and why some things are unique to Canada and unlikely to work in the USA  (e.g.  an immigration system like the one in Canada would only work well if illegal border crossings were reduced to the near zero levels in Canada). 

• Like 1

The map says it all.

Blue on the West Coast, most of New England, and a few states internally but the rest swallowed up in red.   

I sincerely hope we never hear "battleground state" ever used in an election again.  I find the idea that just 13 states can decide one appalling.  What are the other 37, worthless votes?  This is a democratic election?  Yes, I know it's about population size but why should the small states care if their voices can't be heard above the din of the Big Boys?  They're citizens too, not chopped liver.  This was an angle pitched and played up by the media to keep a fire burning that didn't need to be and blow their importance in reporting this "news" out of proportion to reality.

It's also lazy and stupid.  The Dems all but ignored Wisconsin to dwell on Ohio taking it for granted.  This despite a Republican governor who survived a recall and was one of those defeated by Trump in the primaries.  In the end they lost both.  The same thing happened in Michigan; only in the last few weeks did they try to play catch-up.  Too little and too late.  Trump actually went courting them.  This got up residents' hackles and they bolted the blue for red out of pride among other things,     

Lessons have been hopefully learned. 

I am looking ahead.  This is my country and nobody makes me pack up and leave.  My candidates of choice-from both parties-have lost before, the predictions have been grim but here I still am and so is the U. S. A.  Don't expect that to change.  The other side are Americans too and that means my respecting them even if they can't-or won't-me.  That's the America the world respects.  

• Like 3

Donald will have Congress and the Supreme Court at this disposal, so the ball is squarely in his court. He will face little to no obstruction, for the first 2 years anyway. If he can implement programs that actually create long-term, quality jobs, if he can manage to convince corporations to bring manufacturing back in a sustainable way, if he can establish guidelines that fix the problems with Wall Street to the satisfaction of the people, if he can replace Obamacare with a cheaper alternative that continues to cover people in need, and if he can do all of that while balancing the budget and lowering the debt and without raising taxes, and instead actually lowering taxes, even for the middle class, then more power to him. That will benefit everyone.

The issues of the military and its future, terrorism, immigration reform, the repeal of Roe v Wade, and the roll back of LGBT rights are another matter. Any and all environmental issues are most likely gone for the next 4 years. Further drug and prison reforms, at least on the federal level, are probably gone as well.

• Like 1

The American white-collar class just spent the year rallying around a super-competent professional (who really wasn’t all that competent) and either insulting or silencing everyone who didn’t accept their assessment. And then they lost. Maybe it’s time to consider whether there’s something about shrill self-righteousness, shouted from a position of high social status, that turns people away.

The even larger problem is that there is a kind of chronic complacency that has been rotting American liberalism for years, a hubris that tells Democrats they need do nothing different, they need deliver nothing really to anyone – except their friends on the Google jet and those nice people at Goldman. The rest of us are treated as though we have nowhere else to go and no role to play except to vote enthusiastically on the grounds that these Democrats are the “last thing standing” between us and the end of the world. It is a liberalism of the rich, it has failed the middle class, and now it has failed on its own terms of electability. Enough with these comfortable Democrats and their cozy Washington system. Enough with Clintonism and its prideful air of professional-class virtue. Enough!

- Thomas Frank

• Like 3

Total ripoff man. I fired up the computer anticipating a modest

stock buy and everything is up and not down. He's not even

president yet and already the Cracker-in-Chief is screwing

me. Hopefully it will still crash sometime this week.

Just remembered that Alec Baldwin is on tonight hosting TCM's documentary line-up.

I guess Saturday Night Live may be worth watching each week simply to see him spoof The Clown for four years (provided he doesn't get impeached or assassinated),

Donald will have Congress and the Supreme Court at this disposal, so the ball is squarely in his court. He will face little to no obstruction, for the first 2 years anyway. If he can implement programs that actually create long-term, quality jobs, if he can manage to convince corporations to bring manufacturing back in a sustainable way, if he can establish guidelines that fix the problems with Wall Street to the satisfaction of the people, if he can replace Obamacare with a cheaper alternative that continues to cover people in need, and if he can do all of that while balancing the budget and lowering the debt and without raising taxes, and instead actually lowering taxes, even for the middle class, then more power to him. That will benefit everyone.

The issues of the military and its future, terrorism, immigration reform, the repeal of Roe v Wade, and the roll back of LGBT rights are another matter. Any and all environmental issues are most likely gone for the next 4 years. Further drug and prison reforms, at least on the federal level, are probably gone as well.

The tired and poor white working class will soon find out that Trump is going to be just another trickle-down mainstream Republican. One of the things he will try to do (and will be able to do, have control of two houses) is to do away with inheritance taxes. That's a major source of income for the country, much of it coming from the super rich. The Republicans have been trying to get rid of it for ages -- now they may be able to.

Trump in many ways is a boon to the Republicans. His bluster, sexism, and racism wooed many people, but it's just going to be the same old Republican policies, benefitting the 1%.

• Like 2

The tired and poor white working class will soon find out that Trump is going to be just another trickle-down mainstream Republican. One of the things he will try to do (and will be able to do, have control of two houses) is to do away with inheritance taxes. That's a major source of income for the country, much of it coming from the super rich. The Republicans have been trying to get rid of it for ages -- now they may be able to.

Trump in many ways is a boon to the Republicans. His bluster, sexism, and racism wooed many people, but it's just going to be the same old Republican policies, benefitting the 1%.

Trump will never be considered a legitimate president because he did not win the popular vote and because of the Comey 11th Hour ****.

However, with the changing demographics there won't be another white supremacist president like this one again.

It's good for the country to remember that even the bite of a dead rattlesnake can kill you with a reflex reaction because it still has poison in its fangs.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited For Language

The map says it all.

Blue on the West Coast, most of New England, and a few states internally but the rest swallowed up in red.   

I sincerely hope we never hear "battleground state" ever used in an election again.  I find the idea that just 13 states can decide one appalling.  What are the other 37, worthless votes?  This is a democratic election?  Yes, I know it's about population size but why should the small states care if their voices can't be heard above the din of the Big Boys?  They're citizens too, not chopped liver.  This was an angle pitched and played up by the media to keep a fire burning that didn't need to be and blow their importance in reporting this "news" out of proportion to reality.

It's also lazy and stupid.  The Dems all but ignored Wisconsin to dwell on Ohio taking it for granted.  This despite a Republican governor who survived a recall and was one of those defeated by Trump in the primaries.  In the end they lost both.  The same thing happened in Michigan; only in the last few weeks did they try to play catch-up.  Too little and too late.  Trump actually went courting them.  This got up residents' hackles and they bolted the blue for red out of pride among other things,     

Lessons have been hopefully learned. 

I am looking ahead.  This is my country and nobody makes me pack up and leave.  My candidates of choice-from both parties-have lost before, the predictions have been grim but here I still am and so is the U. S. A.  Don't expect that to change.  The other side are Americans too and that means my respecting them even if they can't-or won't-me.  That's the America the world respects.  

Battleground states doesn't mean just the 'big boys' but instead any state where the margin between the candidates is within 5% or so.    The media plays up the battleground states because they decide the final outcome.   The term has been used since the electoral collage (which means since the start of the nation).  

Clinton losing the battleground states of FL, PA,  OH and WI is what cost her the election.     All along pundits have been saying Trump would have to sweep those states to get to 270 and that I just what he did.

(Michigan was also a key state but Trump didn't need this after winning the others). 

Trump will never be considered a legitimate president because he did not win the popular vote and because of the Comey 11th Hour ****.

However, with the changing demographics there won't be another white supremacist president like this one again.

It's good for the country to remember that even the bite of a dead rattlesnake can kill you with a reflex reaction because it still has poison in its fangs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afhVLHyFNog

:lol:

• Like 2

What was the source that caused Comey to make public statements about Hillary's e-mails? Answer, WHERE'S BILL

bil_clinton.jpg

Princess, I've been thinking about all this, and first, yeah of course the Electoral College should have been dumped years ago and for the very reason that in this day and age the basic inequity is self-evident that someone's vote in a less populated state in essence "counts more" than a vote cast in a more populated state, BUT this is the system we have in place and it will probably remain in place for decades to come.

However, I think you can take some solace in this outcome from the thought that while Donny may be a demagogue, he is NOT something that's sometimes even worse...an ideologue.

(...'cause you have to actually have an ideology to BE an ideologue...well, at least something more than the thought that just through your own personal force of will you're going to make something "great again")

So what's all this talk of the "Triumph of Donald Trump" here, huh?!

(...the dude ain't NEARLY bright enough OR cool enough to ride a great motorcycle like that, ya know)

Obama and Hillary are pols so they have to say that kind of

****. Their supporters aren't and don't.

Should hold until someone invents this... :P

atlantis_shields_up.jpg

So ham! Are you sayin' THIS is what America will look like when it's "great again"???

(...I dunno...that whole dome thing there is kind'a freaky, would ya say?!)

;)

The map says it all.

Well, some states lean so far one direction, no need to ever campaign there. Although, Trump and Bernie campaigned down the street from me. There's a battleship parked there, great for photo ops. Watching CNN, the whole election was Wisconsin, Florida, Michgan and Pennsylvania it seemed. California and New York were given to Clinton the moment the polls closed. With a 20+ lead, its obvious who would win. 

Those Dems depended on all those auto workers to carry them through, except there are no auto workers there ! since the plants all closed and moved away. All that were left were disgruntled voters constantly courted by Trump. Its no surprise whom they chose.  

Republicans had basically the same control 2000 - 2006 and what did they accomplish ?? They can never balance a budget. They are too busy building trillion dollar weapons we can't afford. Then inventing war in far flung places we also can't afford.

Trump said one thing that was very true. The trade imbalance is terrible. If he can fix that or at least stand up to some of these countries, that's better than most would ever do.

Give the guy credit, he's going right to work ...

001_zpsjsdmsvln.jpg

That is the funniest thing I have seen all day :lol:

I think Donny already has one 2020 campaign slogan:

Reelect me and I will finish this wall.

I think Donny already has one 2020 campaign slogan:

Reelect me and I will finish this wall.

Uh-huh...and accompanied with the threat of, "You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!"

• Like 1

Uh-huh...and accompanied with the threat of, "You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!"

Hey, anybody got a big gulp? It's getting damn hot our here.

Hey, anybody got a big gulp? It's getting damn hot our here.

HEY now, Vautrin! I SAID, "if you don't EAT your meat" here, dude!

(...not "BEAT"!!!)

(...not "BEAT"!!!)

Donny will be running a clean, family oriented campaign.

No grabbing, groping, or beating, except of political

opponents.

• Like 1

(...not "BEAT"!!!)

Hey, Hey, That's locker room talk ! :P