Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Triumph of Donald Trump

Trump is on the way to becoming a mainstream, establishment Republican. The super-rich are cheering. The deplorables with continue to get played for the saps that they are, as Trump throws the occasional comment their way as he segues into the role of a Republican President for the 1%.

I had to cross the street today to walk east on 56th Street. I forgot that Trump Tower was in the way of my walk.

"How is it Trump seems to care the least for the very folks who voted for him? Not a day passes that he doesn’t betray some of them.

And instead of bombing another country, how about building our own with better bridges, railroads, highways and airports, how about tending to those who need jobs and homes, how about health care that really gets the job done?

Then we might finally achieve the transformative moment when even Donald Trump at last becomes president for real. But don’t hold your breath. It is foolish to expect anything like this from a man-child who plays with America’s destiny as if it were a rag doll in his gilded crib.

http://billmoyers.com/story/ask-yourself-will-donald-trump-ever-become-president/ <_<

• Like 2

"Without debating whether it was the right or wrong thing to do, and without mentioning that it seemed to have had no effect on whatsoever on Assad’s capability to kill civilians,
the ploy was bald, and it was shameless. So why did it work yet again? There is a vast body of literature on the appeal of war, including Barbara Ehrenreich’s Blood Rites, which describe the ways in which warfare arose from predation and assumed aspects of religion, and Chris Hedges’ impassioned and moving book-length essay, War is a Force that Gives Us Meaning, which incorporates its thesis into its title.

War is pretty hard to resist. Hedges compares it to a drug — an addictive drug.....

It is precisely because this new interventionism has had the desired result that we should all begin to worry. If a few missiles in Syria won him hosannas, what about some action against North Korea for the next reality show episode? And what other improvised adventures could our new action hero president embark upon to keep us preoccupied and him winning praise?

War may be the force that gives us meaning. But it is also the force that keeps us entertained and distracted....

http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-able-to-sucker-world-on-syria/

• Like 2

"Without debating whether it was the right or wrong thing to do, and without mentioning that it seemed to have had no effect on whatsoever on Assad’s capability to kill civilians,

the ploy was bald, and it was shameless. So why did it work yet again? There is a vast body of literature on the appeal of war, including Barbara Ehrenreich’s Blood Rites, which describe the ways in which warfare arose from predation and assumed aspects of religion, and Chris Hedges’ impassioned and moving book-length essay, War is a Force that Gives Us Meaning, which incorporates its thesis into its title.

War is pretty hard to resist. Hedges compares it to a drug — an addictive drug.....

It is precisely because this new interventionism has had the desired result that we should all begin to worry. If a few missiles in Syria won him hosannas, what about some action against North Korea for the next reality show episode? And what other improvised adventures could our new action hero president embark upon to keep us preoccupied and him winning praise?

War may be the force that gives us meaning. But it is also the force that keeps us entertained and distracted....

http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-able-to-sucker-world-on-syria/

yeah right. when a GOP potus shows decisive leadership, time for liberals to talk about warmongering. :P

trump's the man and the GOP controls the federal government. much too late for that tired old stuff about warmongering. you guys need some new stuff...

badly. :lol:

sad tidings for the mourners of the obama world utopia that never was...

nothing from isis since that MOAB was dropped and detonated.

they must be trying to find a survivor who can think up some coherent sentences in english for social media. :lol:

sad tidings for the mourners of the obama world utopia that never was...

nothing from isis since that MOAB was dropped and detonated.

they must be trying to find a survivor who can think up some coherent sentences in english for social media. 

I thought it was odd that there was an ISIS strike in Afghanistan. I wasn't aware that ISIS was even in Afghanistan, which is the stronghold of the Taliban and Al Qaeda. I know a lot of people can't tell one from the other. I think I saw somewhere that it was "ISIS-K" that was hit in Afghanistan. I hadn't heard of the K brand before. How big a presence are they in Afghanistan? What, exactly, was hit? A town, a city, a camp?

Edit: I did some research after realizing that a knowledgeable answer, if any at all, would be unlikely. ISIS-K is a small branch of former Taliban fighters who decided to throw their lot in with the ISIS we're familiar with in Syria and Iraq. Their numbers are low (estimated at less than a thousand fighters), and they are not much liked by the remaining Taliban or Al Qaeda. They are well funded though, with direct links to the Middle East branch of ISIS. The strike using the MOAB was on an underground tunnel believed to be used these ISIS-K members. And the "K" stands for Khorasan, a contested piece of land that stretches across the Afghan/Pakistan border.

• Like 2

NPRVerified account @NPR 52m52 minutes ago

NPR Retweeted Donald J. Trump

NPR added,

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump
Why does Obama believe he shouldn't comply with record releases that his predecessors did of their own volition? Hiding something?

• Like 2

Edit: I did some research after realizing that a knowledgeable answer, if any at all, would be unlikely. ISIS-K is a small branch of former Taliban fighters who decided to throw their lot in with the ISIS we're familiar with in Syria and Iraq. Their numbers are low (estimated at less than a thousand fighters), and they are not much liked by the remaining Taliban or Al Qaeda. They are well funded though, with direct links to the Middle East branch of ISIS. The strike using the MOAB was on an underground tunnel believed to be used these ISIS-K members. And the "K" stands for Khorasan, a contested piece of land that stretches across the Afghan/Pakistan border.

I would not have answered your initial question because the answer would be overly complex while being incomplete because my interest in such things concentrates on specific aspects while ignoring others.

As you now have a proper overview: it is my understanding that: ISIS-Khorasan is important because it gathers money and arms to be distributed to ISIS groups in other countries and performs certain forms of training. Their tunnel complex was a safe place for researching and planning operations. I have read that the intelligence community hopes to find information concerning ISIS operations in several countries there.

• Like 2

I would not have answered your initial question because the answer would be overly complex while being incomplete because my interest in such things concentrates on specific aspects while ignoring others.

As you now have a proper overview: it is my understanding that: ISIS-Khorasan is important because it gathers money and arms to be distributed to ISIS groups in other countries and performs certain forms of training. Their tunnel complex was a safe place for researching and planning operations. I have read that the intelligence community hopes to find information concerning ISIS operations in several countries there.

Yes, I read some more on it today, as well. They think the Khorasan group may be the hub for funneling assets to radical groups throughout Asia. Hopefully the strike disrupted such operations, at least for the time being.

But at the same time it would be naive to think this wasn't also a conspicuous flexing of military muscle at a time when such things seem to be helping Trump's image.

Activists to Use Tax Day to Tell Trump: Show Us Your Returns-

"Democratic lawmakers and activists plan to hit the streets Saturday at Tax Day protests around the country and demand President Donald Trump release his tax returns.

Organizers hope the protests — dubbed the Tax March — will resonate with Americans who think the president should release his returns, as his recent predecessors have done. Rallies are scheduled in nearly 150 cities, including Washington, New York, Boston and San Francisco. Activists in West Palm Beach, Florida, will hold the "March a Lago" near the resort where Trump plans to spend the Easter weekend.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/national-international/Donald-Trump-Tax-March-419513703.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand

TrumpTaxes.png?1473364143

No one is above the law.

• Like 1

But at the same time it would be naive to think this wasn't also a conspicuous flexing of military muscle at a time when such things seem to be helping Trump's image.

I believe the timing is much more due to the manner in which the military proceeds. Plans were likely made months ago for using: MOAB if conventional tactics continued to fail. They had to delay implementation of the plan until they learned what types of action he would support and determine how best to tailor presentation of the plan to him. Senior military is glacial at best and I find it quite reasonable there would be a five month delay to gather information on his stance and to learn which buttons to press when speaking with him. They might also have been waiting for a major rebuff on the front so that they could add a sense of urgency to their request to use the weapon. I believe this happened quite recently in that some weapons and equipment were lost.

I believe that the Tomahawk strike and the MOAB strike demonstrate that the military feels confident to bring him plans within a specific framework in that there was no collateral damage, civilian deaths or prolonged confrontation in either. I feel that two major operations of vastly different nature having these identical attributes is by intent rather than coincidence.

Problem....there is no law on what you seek (yet). Bill S.26 - Presidential Tax Transparency Act is still in Congress.

Ham, that's no problem - - I'm old enough to know and certainly well- educated enough to know very well that there's no law about requiring a presidential candidate or president to share his/her tax information with the public. LOL

What I was referring to is that whatever is in his tax returns--that he is hiding-- it will be up to the voter, i.e. every American, to evaluate whether or not he's broken any other kind of laws.

And as you well know, you can go by the letter of the law, but still break the spirit of the law or the spirit of fairness and decency.

Ham, that's no problem - - I'm old enough to know and certainly well- educated enough to know very well that there's no law about requiring a presidential candidate or president to share his/her tax information with the public. LOL

What I was referring to is that whatever is in his tax returns--that he is hiding-- it will be up to the voter, i.e. every American, to evaluate whether or not he's broken any other kind of laws.

And as you well know, you can go by the letter of the law, but still break the spirit of the law or the spirit of fairness and decency.

He did say he would release them.  Now that he has won what is he waiting for?

He did say he would release them.  Now that he has won what is he waiting for?

The sloooooooowest tax audit of all time.

Poor Donald. He so wants to release them, too. ;)

At this point, I don't know what good his taxes would do anyway. His supporters have shown time and again that they do not care what Trump does, what "crimes or misdemeanors" he may have committed. They have openly said that collusion with Russia or the Russian government, or any other government for that matter, is not a problem for them. If he's not worth as much as he claims, that will endear him more to his base. If he uses every loophole and tax dodge in the book, he will be applauded for being an astute businessman. It will make the left dislike him more, but is it really possible to think less of Trump than most of his opponents already do? If there were some kind of actionable information contained in his returns, who would do something about it? Congress? Not likely. Look how well that's gone so far. And as for the middle-of-the-road, average American, they aren't paying any attention to this stuff one way or the other. They have Candy Crush and The Bachelor and weekend sports to occupy their time. Half of America doesn't even bother to vote anymore. And even with the half that does, many of them don't watch or read the news on any regular basis, beyond their Facebook feed. 

At this point, I don't know what good his taxes would do anyway. His supporters have shown time and again that they do not care what Trump does, what "crimes or misdemeanors" he may have committed. They have openly said that collusion with Russia or the Russian government, or any other government for that matter, is not a problem for them. If he's not worth as much as he claims, that will endear him more to his base. If he uses every loophole and tax dodge in the book, he will be applauded for being an astute businessman. It will make the left dislike him more, but is it really possible to think less of Trump than most of his opponents already do? If there were some kind of actionable information contained in his returns, who would do something about it? Congress? Not likely. Look how well that's gone so far. And as for the middle-of-the-road, average American, they aren't paying any attention to this stuff one way or the other. They have Candy Crush and The Bachelor and weekend sports to occupy their time. Half of America doesn't even bother to vote anymore. And even with the half that does, many of them don't watch or read the news on any regular basis, beyond their Facebook feed. 

Yup.....& that's just what he's counting on-cynicism and apathy

-_-

• Like 1

Yup.....& that's just what he's counting on-cynicism and apathy

-_-

I think the opposite is happening. People all over America are starting to organize and getting to know their neighbors in order to decide their own fate. This is particularly true of the millennials. The future belongs to them and if they want a democratic country, they'll have to fight for it-- just like preceeding generations of Americans.

Grassroot organization starts with these numerous marches and protests in public that we have seen since the election. They are the first step in organizing electoral power at the polls and protecting the people's interests-- not only on the national scene, but also on the local and regional levels.

As Americans organize, they may find out they have a lot more in common than they thought previously as they fight to uphold their constitutional democracy.

• Like 1

I don't have apathy...cynicism and pessimism, yes, but I still show up to vote every time, and I vote for who and what I think will be best for America and the greatest number of Americans, and not out of self-interest.  

I still don't think Trump's tax revelations would accomplish much, although it would be nice for them to be made public if for no other reason than the debate to be put to rest. As I alluded to in my previous post, it is not possible for me to think less of Trump than I already do. Maybe some more of his supporters would become disillusioned, who knows. 

The left needs good candidates and voter turnout. I haven't heard much about either, so far. Voting booths aren't as exciting as protest marches, and there are plenty of millenials who think tweeting the appropriate hashtag is all that's needed politically. Louis CK isn't a millenial, but this sketch hits the same point.   

• Like 2

"The election of President Trump has provoked elation, outrage and self-reflection among Americans across the political spectrum. For some, it has even prompted something more drastic: a career change.

In the last few months, professionals across the country have decided to leave conventional jobs and get involved in politics or activism.

“It feels like we are in this existential crisis of democracy,” said Matt Ewing, who abandoned a career at SolarCity to join Swing Left, a group hoping to get out the vote in competitive congressional districts in 2018. “Going back to work in my comfortable corporate job didn’t make sense anymore.”

Here are a half-dozen Americans — Republicans and Democrats — describing how the election has changed the arc of their careers....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/13/business/want-to-resist-trump-or-make-america-great-again-these-people-switched-careers.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

• Like 2

At this point, I don't know what good his taxes would do anyway. His supporters .......have openly said that collusion with Russia or the Russian government, or any other government for that matter, is not a problem for them. 

Probably because Russia isn't an enemy country. Communism there fell 30 years ago and the cold war ended.

If Hillary hadn't lost the election, her sycophants wouldn't be making up all this "communist Russia is back and is our enemy again" horse****.

I understand how difficult it must be for people to come to terms with Trump supporters having more smarts than glassy-eyed Clintonites now. But that's how the neo-liberal cookie has crumbled.