Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Triumph of Donald Trump

tonite jake tapper had nikki haley on and as soon as she said many countries welcome the return of decisive american leadership under trump, tapper quickly changed the subject. :lol:

what schtootzes like tapper refuse to get as that we got their bias about 45 to 50 years ago.

norman lear didn't make archie bunker a stereotype for every white working stiff in america at the time for nothing.

for liberals there are only two americas...NYC and san francisco.

last november 8th, this was stopped. :D

progressives never see judeo-christian values in positive terms. the left has been trashing traditional moral beliefs since the vietnam era...and they still are.

they preached tolerance for everybody and everything but when the time came to practice their own preachments their hypocrisy became clear.

and that is what you cannot obfuscate away, Vautrin. the american left now labels any sincere religious moral objection they doan agree with as bigotry and prejudice.

islamophobia, homophobia and what is next?  how about pedophobia? a bigoted fear of child molesters? :huh:

It all matters what the values are. Peace and non-violence are values

that most people agree on. White supremacy was once a traditional

moral value. Should folks accept that just because at one time it

was considered correct? Islamophobia and homophobia are real

things and sometimes they lead back to religious morality. That

hardly makes them right.

Islamophobia and homophobia are real things

The first is a real thing, the second not. There's no reason to fear homosexuals. Homosexuality as a practice may engender a personal aversion, but it's not a fear.

Fear of Islam is just common sense. Islam is a painfully oppressive, punishing patriarchy - the exact opposite of the western cultures we have been developing and would like to continue developing.

The first is a real thing, the second not. There's no reason to fear homosexuals. Homosexuality as a practice may engender a personal aversion, but it's not a fear.

Fear of Islam is just common sense. Islam is a painfully oppressive, punishing patriarchy - the exact opposite of the western cultures we have been developing and would like to continue developing.

I don't think there is a physical fear of homosexuals, but I have little

doubt that some people have a cultural fear and feel a revulsion

toward gay people, which leads to bigotry. Fear of radicals Islamists

makes sense, not fear of the whole religion. Of course it is more

oppressive in some countries than in others. And maybe one day

Islam will excise its more oppressive features, just as Christianity

has done to some degree.

• Like 2

I don't think there is a physical fear of homosexuals, but I have little doubt that some people have a cultural fear and feel a revulsion toward gay people, which leads to bigotry. 

"Bigotry" is not phobia. Nobody is afraid that homosexuals are going to force any of us to become homosexual ourselves.

And as long as we're not forced to watch men doing you know what to one another's bums, most of us can live with the existence of homosexuals. Fear doesn't enter into it. Revulsion at the imagining perhaps, but that's not fear.

"Bigotry" is not phobia. Nobody is afraid that homosexuals are going to force any of us to become homosexual ourselves.

And as long as we're not forced to watch men doing you know what to one another's bums, most of us can live with the existence of homosexuals. Fear doesn't enter into it. Revulsion at the imagining perhaps, but that's not fear.

There are some, and the number is debatable, that fear exposure to homosexuality will "awaken" homosexual feelings in themselves. Therefore, "thou dost protest too much" comes into play, and that would be homophobia. It's not fear of other homosexuals, or homosexual acts, but rather the possibility of homosexuality within themselves. Look at how many of the most vocal anti-homosexual advocates end up in a motel room with a gay prostitute. And they all seem to have an "R" next to their names in the newspapers. 

• Like 1

Fear of radicals Islamists makes sense, not fear of the whole religion. 

It should. It's a bad religion. Even if 95% of Muslims won't bring themselves to act upon the worst, most aggressive edicts still in effect, that leaves many millions of practitioners to be concerned with.

Beware of false prophets - you will know them by their fruit - Jesus of Nazareth

Look at Islam - everywhere it is - and tell me what kind of fruit you think it has brought to its own people (or to anyone else).

Let me guess...Zoroastrianism? All hail Ahura Mazda!

Is that one about being at all times peaceful, charitable, merciful and forgiving? Does it forbid doing violence to other people - even if they don't believe?

Then yes, it's a good one.

There are some, and the number is debatable, that fear exposure to homosexuality will "awaken" homosexual feelings in themselves. Therefore, "thou dost protest too much" comes into play, and that would be homophobia. It's not fear of other homosexuals, or homosexual acts, but rather the possibility of homosexuality within themselves. Look at how many of the most vocal anti-homosexual advocates end up in a motel room with a gay prostitute. And they all seem to have an "R" next to their names in the newspapers. 

Nonsense. People are what they are. If they're attracted to the same gender, they are. If they're not , they're not. 

They aren't afraid of "awakenings". If they're desirous of intimacy with the same gender, they're already "awakened".

They're afraid of the societal consequences in a mostly heterosexual world of being found out perhaps - but that's not the same as being afraid of homosexuals. That's fear of being labeled and ostracized.

Is that one about being at all times peaceful, charitable, merciful and forgiving? Does it forbid doing violence to other people - even if they don't believe?

Then yes, it's a good one.

Nearly all of them say that in one part or another of their texts, and then contradict it somewhere else. I'm going to guess that you're referring to Christianity, "I came not to bring peace, but to bring a sword." -Jesus, Matthew 10:34. Like with most religion, it can be interpreted to suit the needs of the reader, but here's some further reading:

http://www.realclearreligion.org/articles/2014/04/30/the_myth_of_a_non-violent_jesus.html

They all have common sense "golden rule" admonishments, while also calling for violence if certain parameters are met. Islam is getting the most vilification at the moment because a loud, violent minority is in their "Crusader/Inquisition" phase. Oh, and people always need an enemy, or else they destroy themselves. And sometimes they do both at the same time, like the U.S. in the past 15 years.

Nearly all of them say that in one part or another of their texts, and then contradict it somewhere else. I'm going to guess that you're referring to Christianity, "I came not to bring peace, but to bring a sword." -Jesus, Matthew 10:34. Like with most religion, 

The sword He brings is the sword that cuts you from those who do not hear or enter upon the path He has illuminated. Many, many converts were put to the sword, but none took up the sword against others. The sword was indeed brought - both symbolic, cutting a man from his friends and family - from those who would not follow Christ as that man would, and actual - the sword that put to death many, many martyrs.

Indeed, He brought a sword - but He did not give a sword to His followers to use, unless you wish to view faith as their sword.

What is religion? It's the endeavor to return to God. That's all it is. Christ has made it as simple as it can be - peace, charity, mercy, forgiveness. There's nothing else we need to understand.

And no, I'm not referring to Christianity. Christianity is for churches.

I'm referring to following Christ. 

• Like 1

We've got a very interesting and profound topic here that could easily go into a new thread.

As my old history teacher used to say --never debate politics and religion if you've got an appointment or you have to get up early in the morning because you're never going to come to any conclusions and you'll be at it all night.

I'm looking forward to the new thread.

Well said.   In addition there is a fear that with the normalization of sex with someone of the same gender, people will become more bisexual or sexual explorers, if you will.     

E.g.  There is a reality show Vanderpump Rules on Bravo.   The majority of the young women on the show admit to dipping in the "girl pond" (an expression used by Bravo for women on women sexual encounters and used frequently).     These women all have boyfriends and state that the vast majority of their sexual encounters are with men but when they get drunk (and they drink a lot!),  well, things happen.

Of course this type of behavior has always occurred,  but at same frequency?  E.g. normalization didn't increase the frequency but only the number of people willing to openly admit it.   

Either way there is nothing to fear going on here.   No one is being hurt. 

From a purely linguistic point, one can certainly make the argument

that homophobia is misused as very few people physically fear

homosexuals. But it's become part of the common parlance, so I

have no big problem with the word meaning bigotry and prejudice

toward homosexuals.

It should. It's a bad religion. Even if 95% of Muslims won't bring themselves to act upon the worst, most aggressive edicts still in effect, that leaves many millions of practitioners to be concerned with.

Beware of false prophets - you will know them by their fruit - Jesus of Nazareth

Look at Islam - everywhere it is - and tell me what kind of fruit you think it has brought to its own people (or to anyone else).

I don't think it's any worse than other religions. It just seems to be in a

fundamentalist phase for some adherents. Maybe that will change over

time, maybe not. That the great majority of Muslims do not act on what

is in the Quran just shows that, like most people of whatever religious

persuasion, they do not act on what is literal in their sacred books. And

the threat of the Islamists is rather minor. People can be kind, merciful,

and peaceful without any religious belief.