Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Triumph of Donald Trump

Blistering article in The New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/05/01/a-hundred-days-of-trump

Trump has never gone out of his way to conceal the essence of his relationship to the truth and how he chooses to navigate the world. In 1980, when he was about to announce plans to build Trump Tower, a fifty-eight-story edifice on Fifth Avenue and Fifty-sixth Street, he coached his architect before meeting with a group of reporters. "Give them the old Trump ****," he said. “Tell them it’s going to be a million square feet, sixty-eight stories.”

I just found out that Saudi Arabia is North Korea's second biggest trading partner (after China). India (who was #3), just agreed to follow U.N. sanctions regarding trading with North Korea.

Saudi Arabia now has 100% ownership of the most producing oil refinery in the USA. Should we also cut off ties to Saudi Arabia? to me their treatment of women is in the same ball park as killing drug dealers.

As for American hypocrisy: I assume by 'kills his own people' you mean how the US deals with Syria and Assad. Again, it goes back to supporting our interest. In the middle-east most of what we are doing is NOT in our interest but instead in the interest of Israel and Saudi Arabia.

In the Far East, containment of North Korea is in our direct interest (especially to me in CA since soon I'll be in striking distance).

As for our 'moral authority'; This never really existed as much as many American believe it did (especially conservatives). Instead most of our decisions have been driven to ensure access to cheap natural resources for the gain of big business and overly materialist consumers.

The greatest capitalist country in the world has always had a foreign policy guided by whatever promotes its capitalistic business interests.

My favorite description of American materialism is the "fun" factual statement that the United States, with less than 5% of the world's population, uses 25% of the world's natural resources.

• Like 2

what are the chances that by week's end the news media will be engulfed in obsessing over the ACA's death in the senate?

:D

It is the GOP that is obsessed with the ACA.   They have been since it passed.    In addition many members of the GOP (and of course Trump) said repealing and replacing it was their #1 priority.     Talk about total failure by the GOP.      Of course the media has to report on this total failure.    Get a grip on reality.

• Like 3

Do you think DUMP ever opened a book?

Does make me wonder.  But then he supposedly has a very short attention span and history books generally require devoting some time to reading, remembering and analyzing what you read.

I just found out that Saudi Arabia is North Korea's second biggest trading partner (after China).   India (who was #3), just agreed to follow U.N. sanctions regarding trading with North Korea.    

Saudi Arabia now has 100% ownership of the most producing oil refinery in the USA.   Should we also cut off ties to Saudi Arabia?   to me their treatment of women is in the same ball park as killing drug dealers.    

As for American hypocrisy:  I assume by 'kills his own people' you mean how the US deals with Syria and Assad.    Again,  it goes back to supporting our interest.   In the middle-east most of what we are doing is NOT in our interest but instead in the interest of Israel and Saudi Arabia.

In the Far East,  containment of North Korea is in our direct interest  (especially to me in CA since soon I'll be in striking distance).

As for our 'moral authority';   This never really existed as much as many American believe it did (especially conservatives).   Instead most of our decisions have been driven to ensure access to cheap natural resources for the gain of big business and overly materialist consumers.

I was trained for serving in Saudia Arabia before I went there during the Persian Gulf War.  My unit had been focused on the Middle East for 10 years as part of CENTCOM.

Rule number one:  the rest of the world is not like US.  We have to accept them as they are and work with them.  Hopefully change them and we have very slowly.

Do I agree with how they treat women, foreigners, non-Muslims, etc.?  Of course not.  

We have a relationship with SA that goes back a long time and it is based primarily on petroleum and before us it was the British. That will not end for a long, long time. Some people here may not drive, but everything they eat, drink and live by comes from something that is powered by oil.  Most products they use come from petroleum or at least the containers that hold them.

If we stopped all oil imports, the alternatives to petroleum would never replace it for the next 30 years.  We are already running into problems with nuclear (Toshiba's US nuclear division (Westinghouse) going bankrupt).   Natural gas will not replace all the coal and nuclear, not even close.

We need the oil from the Middle East and we need a secure alternative to the more extremist nations over there.  US also needs  for Europe and Asia to be able to get the oil they need from the Middle East.

It is also based on needing a counter to Iran and before that Iraq under Sadam.  It is also the most influential Arab nation in the Middle East (Iran is Persian).

As for Israel, that has always been a purely American political situation as for US policy and support.  

universe of trump

:)

You must be dyxlexic. What you must've meant was a reference to the TRUMP UNIVERSITY. You member, right? Just one more of your pathetic hero's crooked schemes to steal from hardworking Americans.

• Like 2

Realism is not what Trump deals in.  

Trump’s promise to bring back coal jobs is worse than a con

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-promise-to-bring-back-coal-jobs-is-worse-than-a-con/2017/05/02/8aecd0b4-2e91-11e7-8674-437ddb6e813e_story.html?utm_term=.a439cf2b0bf8&wpisrc=nl_most-draw5&wpmm=1

The fact is, putting coal miners back to work is no more possible from a business standpoint than putting telegraph operators back to work taking Morse code or putting Eastman Kodak employees back to work manufacturing film rolls. 

Politicians who ignore these market realities and make promises to coal communities they can’t keep are engaged in something worse than a con. They are telling those communities, in effect: The best hope they have, and that their children have, is to be trapped in a dying industry that will poison them.

I don’t believe that’s true. We can save lives by ending coal production — just as we did with asbestos production — while also helping communities make the transition to 21st-century jobs. Doing that will not be easy, nor can it be accomplished quickly — that’s why politicians pander with empty promises. But it is the right thing to do both for coal communities and the entire country. It’s time for local, state and federal leaders to face up to the task.

• Like 4

If we are going to deal with film analogies to describe the nightmare in the White House, then the most appropriate, by way of literature, is Orwellian. Specifically 1984. Ok so it came three decades too late, but we have this supposedly benign patronizing figure Big Brother, watching our every move. The media suffers daily onslaught of his Fake News, while accusing the opposition of engaging in same. Then, he rewrites his own pronouncements, stating the media is lying again. In 1984, old newspapers and magazines were recalled and redone, removing offending passages and inserting the new official view. This is what Trump is attempting to do, and his followers must have collective short term memory amnesia, lapping the latest officially approved pronouncement without thought that it might be diametrically opposed to the previous official pronouncement on a given subject. Would be funny in a pathetic sort of way if it wasn't so genuinely scary.

• Like 3

If we are going to deal with film analogies to describe the nightmare in the White House, then the most appropriate, by way of literature, is Orwellian. Specifically 1984. Ok so it came three decades goo late, but we have this supposedly benign patronizing figure Big Brother, watching our every move. The media suffers daily onslaught of his Fake News, while accusing the opposition of engaging in same. Then, he rewrites his own pronouncements, stating the media is lying again. In 1984, old newspapers and magazines were recalled and redone, removing offending passages and inserting the new official view. This is what Trump is attempting to do, and his followers must have collective short term memory amnesia, lapping the latest officially approved pronouncement without thought that it might be diametrically opposed to the previous official pronouncement on a given subject. Would be funny in a pathetic sort of way if it wasn't so genuinely scary.

Waterstone's on Piccadilly in London is a very big bookstore with about 5 floors.  One week their entire window display was taken up by Sinclair Lewis' 1935 novel "It Can't Happen Here" which is said now to have predicted Trump. 

Reading the Classic Novel That Predicted Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/books/review/classic-novel-that-predicted-trump-sinclar-lewis-it-cant-happen-here.html?_r=0

Here is a little bit from the Times article ...

Still, there are enough points of resonance to cause palpitations in the heart of any anxious 21st-century liberal. Like Trump, Windrip sells himself as the champion of “Forgotten Men,” determined to bring dignity and prosperity back to America’s white working class. Windrip loves big, passionate rallies and rails against the “lies” of the mainstream press. His supporters embrace this message, lashing out against the “highbrow intellectuality” of editors and professors and policy elites. With Windrip’s encouragement, they also take out their frustrations on blacks and Jews.

The architect of Windrip’s campaign is a savvy newsman named Lee Sarason, the novel’s closest approximation of Steve Bannon. It is Sarason, not Windrip, who actually writes “Zero Hour,” the candidate’s popular jeremiad on national decline. Sarason believes in propaganda, not information, openly arguing that “it is not fair to ordinary folks — it just confuses them — to try to make them swallow all the true facts that would be suitable to a higher class of people.”

• Like 3

Realism is not what Trump deals in.  

Trump’s promise to bring back coal jobs is worse than a con

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-promise-to-bring-back-coal-jobs-is-worse-than-a-con/2017/05/02/8aecd0b4-2e91-11e7-8674-437ddb6e813e_story.html?utm_term=.a439cf2b0bf8&wpisrc=nl_most-draw5&wpmm=1

The fact is, putting coal miners back to work is no more possible from a business standpoint than putting telegraph operators back to work taking Morse code or putting Eastman Kodak employees back to work manufacturing film rolls. 

Politicians who ignore these market realities and make promises to coal communities they can’t keep are engaged in something worse than a con. They are telling those communities, in effect: The best hope they have, and that their children have, is to be trapped in a dying industry that will poison them.

I don’t believe that’s true. We can save lives by ending coal production — just as we did with asbestos production — while also helping communities make the transition to 21st-century jobs. Doing that will not be easy, nor can it be accomplished quickly — that’s why politicians pander with empty promises. But it is the right thing to do both for coal communities and the entire country. It’s time for local, state and federal leaders to face up to the task.

One important factor to the loss of coal jobs, and many others as well, is automation.  People envision coal miners as guys with picks and shovels in tunnels, but is that the way it really is today?  I'm not sure, but seems to me that much of it is surface "mining" just scraping the coal out of the ground.  Even in the underground mines, far fewer miners with more machinery doing the work.

While a boost in use of coal would be good for the mine owners and railroads and equipment manufacturers, would it really emply that many coal "workers?"  Probably not.  The auto industry is another where jobs have been lost to automation moreso than competition or elimination.

• Like 1

by friday Donny Trump will have another accomplishment to notch...

the house kibosh of the aca...

the senate melodrama will follow...

my heart jumps with gleeful anticipation of the final death of aca by a 51 nuclear option vote. :)

the relentless undefeatable courage and forge on ahead tenacious spirit of trump accentuated by the powerful theme to Bronk...

Jury Convicts Woman Who Laughed During Jeff Sessions' Confirmation Hearing-

A jury on Wednesday convicted a Virginia woman who laughed during Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing of disorderly conduct.Desiree A. Fairooz, a Code Pink protester, was removed from the Jan 10 hearing after she laughed when Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) stated that Sessions has an “extensive record of treating all Americans equally under the law.”

The jury on Wednesday also found guilty her parading or demonstrating on Capitol grounds, according to the New York Times.

Two other Code Pink protesters were also convicted Wednesday. Tighe Barry and Lenny Bianchi, who were dressed as Ku Klux Klan members, were acquitted of disorderly conducts charges, but were convicted on one charge each for parading or demonstrating. The trio could each be sentenced to 12 months in prison, according to the Times.....

http://time.com/4765667/jeff-sessions-laugh-desiree-fairooz-conviction/

Waterstone's on Piccadilly in London is a very big bookstore with about 5 floors.  One week their entire window display was taken up by Sinclair Lewis' 1935 novel "It Can't Happen Here" which is said now to have predicted Trump. 

Reading the Classic Novel That Predicted Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/books/review/classic-novel-that-predicted-trump-sinclar-lewis-it-cant-happen-here.html?_r=0

Here is a little bit from the Times article ...

Still, there are enough points of resonance to cause palpitations in the heart of any anxious 21st-century liberal. Like Trump, Windrip sells himself as the champion of “Forgotten Men,” determined to bring dignity and prosperity back to America’s white working class. Windrip loves big, passionate rallies and rails against the “lies” of the mainstream press. His supporters embrace this message, lashing out against the “highbrow intellectuality” of editors and professors and policy elites. With Windrip’s encouragement, they also take out their frustrations on blacks and Jews.

The architect of Windrip’s campaign is a savvy newsman named Lee Sarason, the novel’s closest approximation of Steve Bannon. It is Sarason, not Windrip, who actually writes “Zero Hour,” the candidate’s popular jeremiad on national decline. Sarason believes in propaganda, not information, openly arguing that “it is not fair to ordinary folks — it just confuses them — to try to make them swallow all the true facts that would be suitable to a higher class of people.”

I doan think references to climate change were removed from the EPA website to rewrite history...

but just to irritate wacko environmentalists for a few laughs. :lol:

it looks like they may well have the votes needed for house repeal of the aca which just goes to prove that when...

donny trump sets out to do somethin'...

well sir...

he does it. :D 

I just had an idea as to how Donny can build his wall. Take a tip from Shakespeare (A Midsummer Night's Dream):

"Some man or other must present Wall: and let him

have some plaster, or some loam, or some rough-cast

about him, to signify wall; and let him hold his

fingers thus, and through that cranny shall Pyramus

and Thisby whisper."

• Like 1

by friday Donny Trump will have another accomplishment to notch...

the house kibosh of the aca...

the senate melodrama will follow...

my heart jumps with gleeful anticipation of the final death of aca by a 51 nuclear option vote. :)

the relentless undefeatable courage and forge on ahead tenacious spirit of trump accentuated by the powerful theme to Bronk...

Don't you care about people who could lose their health care?

And what about those pre-existing conditions? If it's left to the states to make the qualifying decisions, I can guarantee you there's at least one state I know of whose governor has no compassion--and there are probably a few others.

• Like 2

And what about those pre-existing conditions? If it's left to the states to make the qualifying decisions, I can guarantee you there's at least one state I know of whose governor has no compassion--and there are probably a few others.

These people are showing why "Deplorables" was an apt appellation.

But just wait till these Trump supporters realize that the gutting of the ACA affects them adversely.

• Like 1

Sounds like we can count on you voting for Bernie next time.