Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NipkowDisc

The Triumph of Donald Trump

The London headlines show burning streets, violence, and stories of "Trump Backlash: America Erupted in Violence!"

"not around my section...hey, maybe you live in a different part than me!" -andy griffith, no time for sergeants

:D

he deserves a big beautiful honeymoon. :D

Bogie does have a solid point here, since, to me,  you had unrealistic expectations as it relates to Obama, as well as the office of President.

But hey,  that is old news;    As for Trump;   I have said from the start that he isn't going to do half of the things he promised and that is A-OK by me.   All I want is that he works with Congress to move some things along;  E.g. Dealing with illegal Immigration,  the trade deficit with China and the debt (which indicates his tax reform plan is a NO-GO).  

He and the other globalist WISH!

What I was referring to specifically was Michael Moore saying quite a number of voters put a big fat X over Trump's name as a form of "anger management" since they were upset at The Establishment (how they conceive it, that is).

Now they will reap what they have sown. A few of us may be sporting bumper stickers in coming years with a "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for Trump" much as ex-McGovern supporters in Massachusetts did after Watergate. Yes, I fully expect a real roller coaster ride that will go off the rails. Did everybody hear what he says he will do on his first day of office, including the possibility of starting a war with Iran?

Humorously Canada's immigration sites were jammed and had technical breakdowns. Why bother building a wall when half the nation is leaving northward balancing out any who are coming from the south?

What I was referring to specifically was Michael Moore saying quite a number of voters put a big fat X over Trump's name as a form of "anger management" since they were upset at The Establishment (how they conceive it, that is).

Now they will reap what they have sown. A few of us may be sporting bumper stickers in coming years with a "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for Trump" much as ex-McGovern supporters in Massachusetts did after Watergate. Yes, I fully expect a real roller coaster ride that will go off the rails. Did everybody hear what he says he will do on his first day of office, including the possibility of starting a war with Iran?

The expression, "Hope for the best, plan for the worst" is always wise. Hey didn't they say and were convinced Ronald Reagan was going to start a nuclear war?  The Capital Hill ride is always bumpy.

• Like 1

The expression, "Hope for the best, plan for the worst" is always wise. Hey didn't they say and were convinced Ronald Reagan was going to start a nuclear war?  The Capital Hill ride is always bumpy.

Actually we did come close in the fall of 1983.

Humorously Canada's immigration sites were jammed and had technical breakdowns. Why bother building a wall when half the nation is leaving northward balancing out any who are coming from the south?

Goodness South Park thought way ahead of time! :lol:

2CB3E8DC00000578-3247124-image-m-53_1443

• Like 1

Swith-- It's the youth of America picking up Thoreau's mantle of Civil Disobedience.

They're even marching in Kansas City.

If you look closely, you'll see that it's a support parade for the Chiefs.

• Like 2

If you look closely, you'll see that it's a support parade for the Chiefs.

What I wonder is how many of those protesters actually voted,  and if they voted,  voted for Clinton?    If they didn't vote for Clinton they shouldn't be protesting.

• Like 1

So, Nipkowdisc how long are you going to give Donny to deliver on ALL of his promises?  Make America Great Again included.  Are you going to hold him to the same standard as you did Obama who apparently betrayed your trust very early on?

He'll be crying in his beer 6 months from now. The baseball cap has come off. Election over. Thanks, fools!

What's funny is the GOP has been in charge of Congress for how many years??? They do nothing, then when people are mad at D.C. not doing anything, they vote them in again. You get what you vote for. ENJOY.

Who's controlling the press there, protest has been angry but mostly non violent.  They have the right to protest but need to learn that democracy works for both sides.  Lesson.... you don't always get what you want when you want it.  Spoiled trendies. 

(like all protest, will eventually run out of steam)

No, democracy doesnt work. Not in the U.S. at least.

What's funny is the GOP has been in charge of Congress for how many years??? They do nothing, then when people are mad at D.C. not doing anything, they vote them in again. You get what you vote for. ENJOY.

Wow,  you really don't get it.     The GOP couldn't do anything because Obama would have vetoed any bill that the GOP would have favored.  I don't blame Obama for that because those bills were very conservative and I don't blame the GOP Congress since one couldn't expect them to push for liberal legislation that Obama would sign.   The point being that you still don't understand that the USA is highly divided (even after the election on Tuesday).    

Moving forward the next Congress still might not be able to pass much legislation since the Dems are already saying they will use the Senate to block conservative legislative.     

• Like 1

That's the way the "founding fathers" intended it.

Moving forward the next Congress still might not be able to pass much legislation since the Dems are already saying they will use the Senate to block conservative legislative.     

Word is that Trump is gonna put an end to the filibuster rule that says you don't actually have to do it, you just have to say you want to do it.

Sounds like Trump. He's not a career politician, so he doesn't give a **** about the Senate's bull**** self-serving games.

Another ripoff. The market is up again today. Think it is closed

tomorrow. C'mon Donny, say something stupid and put a dent

in it. I know you can do it.

The American people have spoken. More voted for Clinton than

for Trump. Donny can no more make America great than he

can repeal the laws of gravity. He got the suckers to vote for

him and now he doesn't need them anymore. Back to the

McJobs folks. You've been trumped.

• Like 1

Democracy does work ... it's just that the results are not always what some folks want. There are always winners and losers.

• Like 1

Hibi-- the key to all this is Gerry Mander-- that sounds like a British Invasion group, what I'm really trying to say is that the House districts are drawn by the state legislatures in such a big way so that the GOP has all these safe seats and there's no room for fair competition.

(And this is not your country club daddy's GOP.)

They have gerrymandered districts so that the only competition that we see anymore is in the primary where the extreme right-wing dingbat knocks down a reasonable moderate candidate who can actually read and write, and would be willing to conduct governmental affairs with the opposition.

The only answer to all this is a federally mandated reapportionment--

With the Cubs winning the World Series that just might happen someday!

Another ripoff. The market is up again today. Think it is closed

tomorrow. C'mon Donny, say something stupid and put a dent

in it. I know you can do it.

The American people have spoken. More voted for Clinton than

for Trump. Donny can no more make America great than he

can repeal the laws of gravity. He got the suckers to vote for

him and now he doesn't need them anymore. Back to the

McJobs folks. You've been trumped.

Where I come from we use a different word, but I get your drift.

Moore made a big mistake with this video. It was intended as pro Hillary but it helped the other side, unwittingly.

In this video Moore laughingly notes that right-wing websites glommed onto the video, but it's safe to say that they were looking at it the wrong way. Moore is probably a brilliant filmmaker but this one was a little to complicated to reach the Trumpies, in that they see (like many of us) what they want to see. So Moore, yeah, is clever all right ... too clever by half perhaps.

Edited by laffite

Wow, you really don't get it. The GOP couldn't do anything because Obama would have vetoed any bill that the GOP would have favored. I don't blame Obama for that because those bills were very conservative and I don't blame the GOP Congress since one couldn't expect them to push for liberal legislation that Obama would sign. The point being that you still don't understand that the USA is highly divided (even after the election on Tuesday).

I saw Al Franken on Lawrence O'Donnell last night. Franken was one of the original writers of Saturday Night Live. Now he is a Democratic senator from Minnesota.

He was livid about Trump's 11th hour visit to Minnesota to trash the Somalian immigrant population there.

He more or less came on to announce that the Democrats in the Senate were not going to lay down and play dead for Donald Trump and that they would be a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 1

Hibi-- the key to all this is Gerry Mander-- that sounds like a British Invasion group, what I'm really trying to say is that the House districts are drawn by the state legislatures in such a big way so that the GOP has all these safe seats and there's no room for fair competition.

(And this is not your country club daddy's GOP.)

There is some interest in my state of having a non-partisan commission draw up Congressional District lines, thus taking it out of the hands of the state legislature.  The thought on this is that each district would be drawn so there would be competitive races in most elections.  I think Arizona and California do it this way, but other posters from there on this site would know better than I.  The major problem in Illinois is that most of the population is centered around Chicago, so you could get some really freaky looking results.  We have about 12.5 million people here, and 70% of them live in six counties (out of 102 total) in the Northeastern part of the state.

I have to laugh a bit when people downstate complain that Chicago gets "everything".  Do they expect downstate to get 70% of the tax revenues and not have the people of Cook County and the five collar counties grouse about that?

• Like 1

Well, Hibi-- I can't agree with you here but-- hold on--

But if Trump's friend Putin has his way with Trump and can get in there and start to influence a lot of people in our American government--the way he got in there and influenced this election with those leaked emails--

we may be on the road to our democracy not working.

Everywhere you see Putin you see--

political assassination and imprisonment,

demagoguery,

Freedom of Speech Denied and

Violence against liberated- outspoken women. Probably the kind of women that Donald Trump would call NASTY.

Where I come from we use a different word, but I get your drift.

Just trying to keep it clean. :)

This is a really terrific Washington Post article with some humour that both sides should read....

Trump voters will not like what happens next

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-voters-will-not-like-what-happens-next/2016/11/09/e346ffc2-a67f-11e6-8fc0-7be8f848c492_story.html?wpisrc=nl_most-draw5&wpmm=1

This article may help the disappointed 'liberal elite' let go of this loss and look on the bright side.  The entire article is good but here are a few good highlights ...

So he won. The nation takes a deep breath. Raw ego and proud illiteracy have won out, and a severely learning-disabled man with a real character problem will be president. We are so exhausted from thinking about this election, millions of people will take up leaf-raking and garage cleaning with intense pleasure.

The Trumpers never expected their guy to actually win the thing, and that’s their problem now. They wanted only to whoop and yell, boo at the H-word, wear profane T-shirts, maybe grab a crotch or two, jump in the RV with a couple of six-packs and go out and shoot some spotted owls. It was pleasure enough for them just to know that they were driving us wild with dismay — by “us,” I mean librarians, children’s authors, yoga practitioners, Unitarians, bird-watchers, people who make their own pasta, opera-goers, the grammar police, people who keep books on their shelves, that bunch.

Alas for the Trump voters, the disasters he will bring on this country will fall more heavily on them than anyone else. The uneducated white males who elected him are the vulnerable ones, and they will not like what happens next.

We liberal elitists are now completely in the clear. The government is in Republican hands. Let them deal with him. Democrats can spend four years raising heirloom tomatoes, meditating, reading Jane Austen, traveling around the country, tasting artisan beers, and let the Republicans build the wall and carry on the trade war with China and deport the undocumented and deal with opioids, and we Democrats can go for a long , brisk walk and smell the roses.

• Like 1

Who's controlling the press there, protest has been angry but mostly non violent.  They have the right to protest but need to learn that democracy works for both sides.  Lesson.... you don't always get what you want when you want it.  Spoiled trendies. 

(like all protest, will eventually run out of steam)

There are photos of burning streets in the Evening Standard -- which was a big Trump supporter (owned by a former KGB agent). I throw the paper away, so I'm not sure of the American city where the photo was taken.

And, if Hillary had won, would you call the violent protests by Trump supporters "spoiled trendies?"  Or spoiled what? would you call them?