Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Triumph of Donald Trump

Saaaay, I just thought of somethin' here!

MAYBE the next person who'll have all those "qualities" might be a DEMOCRAT?!!

Nah, never mind. The Democratic Party almost NEVER gives us candidates like that.

(...well, except for maybe Obama, but he never wanted to destroy this country's norms and its institutions, NOR was ever "mercurial"...in fact, THAT'S what I always thought was HIS shortcoming...HE wasn't "mercurial" ENOUGH, and always seemed to want to lead by consensus, and you CAN'T do THAT all the damn time IF you want to be EFFECTIVE!!!)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Saaaay, I just thought of somethin' here!

MAYBE the next person who'll have all those "qualities" might be a DEMOCRAT?!!

Nah, never mind. The Democratic Party almost NEVER gives us candidates like that.

(...well, except for maybe Obama, but he never wanted to destroy this country's norms and its institutions, NOR was ever "mercurial"...in fact, THAT'S what I always thought was HIS shortcoming...HE wasn't "mercurial" ENOUGH, and always seemed to want to lead by consensus, and you CAN'T do THAT all the damn time IF you want to be EFFECTIVE!!!)

On a slightly different topic but one which we have discussed before, I think once 2021 rolls around they should take a serious look at all these norms that they value that Trump has tried to break and do something about shoring them up so that another lemon head like him cannot do the same thing.  That may reduce the power of the Presidency but what better time to do it.  Trump would never have allowed anything like that.

For starters a President shouldn't be allowed to pardon witnesses into investigations that are about him!

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

On a slightly different topic but one which we have discussed before, I think once 2021 rolls around they should take a seriously look at all these norms that they value that Trump has tried to break and do something about shoring them up so that another lemon head like him cannot do the same thing.  That may reduce the power of the Presidency but what better time to do it.  Trump would never have allowed anything like that.

For starters a President shouldn't be allowed to pardon witnesses into investigations that are about him!

I've never understood why a President should have unlimited pardoning power anyway.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I've never understood why a President should have unlimited pardoning power anyway.

As for "why",   one would have to ask these guys:

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

"God was wrong" - James Mason, Bigger Than Life

And so were those guys :D

• Confused 1
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

On a slightly different topic but one which we have discussed before, I think once 2021 rolls around they should take a serious look at all these norms that they value that Trump has tried to break and do something about shoring them up so that another lemon head like him cannot do the same thing.  That may reduce the power of the Presidency but what better time to do it.  Trump would never have allowed anything like that.

Have any other ideas?  Doesn't really matter because there are more Republicans in the House now than before and McConnell still controls the Senate.

3 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Have any other ideas?  Doesn't really matter because there are more Republicans in the House now than before and McConnell still controls the Senate.

Why wouldn't he want to institute some controls on the President when it is Biden who is in office?

Anyway, it would have to be a case by case.  Mitch blocked the foreign interference bills from the House.  That kind of stuff just doesn't make sense as it should be in everyone's interest.

They can but try.

1 minute ago, Bogie56 said:

Why wouldn't he want to institute some controls on the President when it is Biden who is in office?

Anyway, it would have to be a case by case.  Mitch blocked the foreign interference bills from the House.  That kind of stuff just doesn't make sense as it should be in everyone's interest.

They can but try.

Any specific things you want restricted?  Mind you, Biden could veto them and then would net for House and Senate to override it.

1 minute ago, ElCid said:

Any specific things you want restricted?  Mind you, Biden could veto them and then would net for House and Senate to override it.

In a broad sense the things that Trump has done and gotten away with because rules are too lax.  Release taxes of all Presidential candidates; no eliciting foreign interference in an election; no pardoning of witnesses into things that the President himself is being investigated; etc.  They have to try to do something about the power of subpoena by Congress.  Trump jsut said no to everything - no documents no testimonies.  Congress cannot do its job.

Sorry, but I don't have time right now to go through everything and argue every point.  Hopefully you get the idea.  I'm sure you can come up with all sorts of reasons why it would be of no use to try to change anything but there you go.  But I thought if Biden were to offer to limit his own power that might be a bridge.

1 minute ago, Bogie56 said:

In a broad sense the things that Trump has done and gotten away with because rules are too lax.  Release taxes of all Presidential candidates; no eliciting foreign interference in an election; no pardoning of witnesses into things that the President himself is being investigated; etc.  They have to try to do something about the power of subpoena by Congress.  Trump jsut said no to everything - no documents no testimonies.  Congress cannot do its job.

Sorry, but I don't have time right now to go through everything and argue every point.  Hopefully you get the idea.  I'm sure you can come up with all sorts of reasons why it would be of no use to try to change anything but there you go.  But I thought if Biden were to offer to limit his own power that might be a bridge.

OK, why not make up a list of all the things you think should restrict the president and then send it to your Congressperson and US Senator.  Oops, forgot for a minute - you don't have one.

I am not opposed to placing restrictions or requirements on the president, but there is a reason why the Founding Fathers wanted distinct separations in the three branches.  Many of the good things Biden will do will be done because Congress has not restricted what he can do. 

17 minutes ago, ElCid said:

OK, why not make up a list of all the things you think should restrict the president and then send it to your Congressperson and US Senator.  Oops, forgot for a minute - you don't have one.

I am not opposed to placing restrictions or requirements on the president, but there is a reason why the Founding Fathers wanted distinct separations in the three branches.  Many of the good things Biden will do will be done because Congress has not restricted what he can do. 

You yourself have noted from time to time that Trump is testing the boundaries of American democracy.  His actions in the past 4 years have shown where there are some weaknesses which could be addressed.   Much of this has already been covered by Nancy Pelosi and it is also in the David Frum book that I recommended to you.

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

You yourself have noted from time to time that Trump is testing the boundaries of American democracy.  His actions in the past 4 years have shown where there are some weaknesses which could be addressed.   Much of this has already been covered by Nancy Pelosi and it is also in the David Frum book that I recommended to you.

I highly doubt Congress will pass any reforms since neither party wants their President to have less power.   They only want the other side's President to have less power.    I spelled all this out a few  times at this forum;  the only possible legislation that could pass and be signed by a President would be one that wouldn't kick in until 2 - 3 elections from the time the President signs it.       I.e. Biden isn't going to sign legislation that restricts his own power or the power of Harris (or another Dem),  that could come to power in 2024 or even2028.        

Restricting the power of the President has been a topic in the USA for decades.    Way before Trump.    In the first two years of Obama's first term the Dems had the power to pass restriction but didn't for the reasons I state.   

As for releasing of Taxes;   I don't know if Congress even has the authority to make that a requirement.     I.e. it might take a Constitutional  amendment (like changing the age requirement).      CA passed such a law and the SC ruled that was un-Constitutional.    

• Thanks 1

Republican senator says he will step in if Biden doesn't have access to intelligence briefings by Friday

Oklahoma Republican Sen. James Lankford said Wednesday that he will intervene if the Trump administration has not allowed President-elect Joe Biden access to presidential daily intelligence briefings by the end of the week, one of the first rights of a presidential candidate after winning the election.

BB1aVIea.img?h=630&w=1119&m=6&q=60&o=f&l

Here ya go, guys! "Guys" as in Nip, Jake and MM, and any OTHER rightwing nutcase around these here parts.
Here's another "RINO" for ya.
Although ACTUALLY he's really an "AINA".
(...and that for your information, would stand for "American In Name Always")

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I highly doubt Congress will pass any reforms since neither party wants their President to have less power.   They only want the other side's President to have less power.    I spelled all this out a few  times at this forum;  the only possible legislation that could pass and be signed by a President would be one that wouldn't kick in until 2 - 3 elections from the time the President signs it.       I.e. Biden isn't going to sign legislation that restricts his own power or the power of Harris (or another Dem),  that could come to power in 2024 or even2028.        

Restricting the power of the President has been a topic in the USA for decades.    Way before Trump.    In the first two years of Obama's first term the Dems had the power to pass restriction but didn't for the reasons I state.   

As for releasing of Taxes;   I don't know if Congress even has the authority to make that a requirement.     I.e. it might take a Constitutional  amendment (like changing the age requirement).      CA passed such a law and the SC ruled that was un-Constitutional.    

In modern times, you could clearly see this during FDR's terms.  Less so in succeeding ones.  I imagine there were also controversies in earlier presidencies as well, Lincoln's for instance.  The only major recent one I can think of is Congress passing the War Powers Act, which Nixon vetoed and then Congress overrode.  However, it has been violated since then with Congress not really doing anything.  Obama and Clinton both violated it.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Resolution#:~:text=The War Powers Resolution (also,consent of the U.S. Congress.

Trump's stunning abdication of leadership comes as pandemic worsens

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-leadership/index.html

This piece implies by using the term abdication of leadership to mean that Trump actually once led. He didn't, he seduced his followers with his stand-up routines, as the country began to fall apart.  I understand people having differing political opinions, but it's hard to fathom people condoning the death and destruction that Trump has caused, just became you like his shtick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
This clock is running slow
Th
11/12/2020 11:18:02
TOTAL ESTIMATED U.S. COVID-19 DEATHS: 239,643

Trump Death Clock

Estimated U.S. COVID-19 Deaths Due To POTUS Inaction
In January 2020, the Trump administration was advised that immediate action was required to stop the spread of COVID-19. According to NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci, “there was a lot of pushback” to this advice. President Trump declined to act until March 16th. Experts estimate that, had mitigation measures been implemented one week earlier, 60% of American COVID-19 deaths would have been avoided. (For further reading, click here).

Even in the private sector Trump has always "led" by delegation and still took all the credit.  But our misfortune was that when he finally decided to actually try to "lead" , it wasn't until he was elected POTUS.  And, after realizing he was treading waters too deep for his abilities, started playing the PEE WEE HERMAN "I meant to do that!" act.   I think it's time his followers learn that NO ONE can lead ANY COUNTRY successfully by "Shuck and Jive"!  But it does seem too, that the majority of his followers lack the same capacity as Trump for not being able to admit making a mistake or to  accept defeat.

Sepiatone

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1