Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kubrickbuff

Should Stanley Kubrick's timeless classic be allowed to air on TCM?

Kubrickbuff -

Well, that is one the most flattering things anyone has ever written about me in here.

No, I am not a staff member of TCM. I make cocktails for a living. But I am a long-time and very avid viewer of TCM who has a knack for remembering significant events in the ten (or more?) years that I have had access to TCM.

I also explore and read many areas of the TCM website. There is a lot one can learn around here about the operations of TCM if you take time to look for it. Regarding the upcoming Marlon Brando documentary, it is mentioned here -

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index?cid=148290 -

along with news of many other events TCM has planned for 2007.

This Brando documentary is being specially created for TCM. That being the case, I have extrapolated that it will presented in the best possible light - which usually means it includes Brando as "Star Of The Month". In the past, new documentaries that TCM has premiered have been a centerpiece to a salute to a certain Actor or Actress. (Steve McQueen in 2003 and Bette Davis in 2006 each were each a "Star Of The Month" whose salutes included a new documentary about them.) "Premiere Documentary = Star Of The Month" is standard operating procedure for TCM. After watching TCM for a few years, you too will recognize these aspects of the channel.

I still have the tape of The Exorcist that I made from its showing on TCM. I can't say exactly what year it was. Around 2000, I think. But the sight of that film on the schedule along side the more traditional fare was something one doesn't easily forget.

I was hypothesizing about Last Tango In Paris being on TCM. I really don't have any idea if TCM is considering showing it on the channel. But if Brando is a "Star Of The Month", TCM tries to program as many important films from that person's filmography as possible. Personally, I think Brando's "important" films are few and far between. (One can easily overlook all of Marlon Brando's work in the 1960's and not be the poorer for it.) I think Last Tango In Paris is important even if it isn't in the upper realm of his work. I would hope TCM would think about showing this film. But I don't know if they will. I just wouldn't be surprised if they did. But it is all an assumption on my part.

So. I am no TCM insider. Hope that isn't disappointing to you. But I have had the honor of seeing a few ideas of mine show up on the TCM schedule - such as this month's Harry Warren salute - which were part of a fantasy TCM scheduling exercise some of us participate in from time to time. A new "Programming Challenge" is to start this week. Keep your eyes open for a thread from poster 'filmlover' for all the details. He has promised to post it on February 1st. If it sounds like fun, you should think about joining us.

There are folks that work for TCM that do post in these Forums on occasion. Poster 'MGMWBRKO', who posted today in the thread about the "lost" RKO films that are going to be shown in April works for TCM and, once in a great while, a poster going by 'tcmprogrmmr', who also works for TCM, will chime in on a subject we are discussing around here.

I hope you hang around here and post on other topics. Nice people are always welcome. So, "Welcome" Kubrickbuff.

Kyle In Hollywood

It'd be especially nice if they could show Fear and Desire, probably the least-seen movie of Kubrick's filmography. I got to watch it at Telluride Film Festival a while back, but I don't think it's ever been officially released on video... not AFAIK anyway.

FEAR AND DESIRE has been withheld from public showing at the express request of Kubrick before his death. It has not been available even to the Kubrick Exhibition that began at Frankfurt, Germany's, Deutsches Filmmusem, and that has been traveling to museums around the world.

Conclusion: don't hold your breath waiting to see it.

[/i]Call [Kubrick] cold, call him picky, call him an exaderater all you want to but he was a true artist and he could see things that no one else could see and would not give up untill he could accomplish it on film, I admire him and relate and understand him for that.[/i]

What's an "exaderator?"

I am actually surprised Barry Lyndon has not shown here. I think it does show on the UK TCM though.

As far as Clockwork Orange, I have no problem with it being shown. It's not my favorite film by a long shot but there are portions of it that are quite good, namely McDowell's performance. That was a very unsympathetic role and he did a great job with it. His "Singing in the Rain" has parallels to the off key whistle in "M" (1931) and anticipated such scenes in movies like "Black Caesar" (1973) and "Reservoir Dogs" (1992).

Most of Kubricks work is not my cup of tea, but I do own a lot of his films because he was a technical genius and they are interesting to study.

Yes, I read about the Marlon Brando salute on the page that you suggested that I read and I am excited. I hope that they play On the Waterfront during the Brando Salute, I am sure that they will. I am also excited about the Steven Spielberg salute as well, TCM will produce a all-new documentary on Spielberg, I will suggest that they show Jurrasic Park during the Spielberg salute because I think that it is a definitive work in his carrer, they should also show Radiors of the Lost Ark, E.T, and The Sugerland Express, I know that they will air Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Jaws because they play those pretty often. I will suggest a showing of A Clockwork Orange if they show Last Tango in Paris.

I agree with Dolores regarding "2001" as Kubrick's best, but only on the very large screen in all its 70mm glory. And, "2001" as a companion to an altered state...well, a truly memorable experience. I went to local theaters to see "2001" four times between 1968 and 1970, but never have watched the thing on television. Reducing the overwhelming visuals of "2001" to a 35 inch screen size? Ah, no thanks. On the other hand, I doubt if the proper venue for the movie will happen anywhere...anytime...soon.

About "A Clockwork Orange"...maybe, if TCM does an Arthur Freed month some future time, they could schedule the movie.

Love the Arthur Clarke "Childhood's End", "The Sentinel", "2001" theme and...I'm ready for Clarke's scenario to happen right now.

Rusty

Hi, Kubrickbuff

Stanley Kubrick is one of my favorite directors too (In the top ten.) It would be difficult to pick a favorite film...I love them all-including "Eyes Wide Shut." I found this on YouTube...His first (short) film-"The Flying Padre."

http://www.youtube.com?watch?v=OqTlxRYt7BO

Are you familiar with the book, "Stanley Kubrick Drama And Shadows Photographs 1945-1950?" He was a staff photographer for Look magazine-right out of high school.

Have you seen Spielberg's "Artificial Intelligence:AI" (and even "Minority Report?") Both are beautiful homages to Kubrick's style...I especially love Teddy-the cynical talking teddy bear in "AI."

Yes, I have seen both A.I. and Minoraty Report and I really like them both although I really would of liked to see Stanley Kubrick direct A.I. and I can imagine what a great film it would have been if he had lived long enough to finish the project that he had been trying to get of the ground since the early 80s, but I still like Steven Spielberg's interpretation of A.I. and I am glad that he was the one to do it because I think that he was the only one that could do it right, he understood the material, he liked the material and he knew how much it ment to Stanley. I think that A.I. is by far one of the best and most hunting films of the decade and I know that Steven Spielberg will continue to suprise us for years to come but it still depresses me that Stanley did not live long enough to direct the movie because I know how personal the project was to him and I really would of liked to have seen his vision of the film.

I did not see a showing of Last Tango in Paris on the Marlon Brando schedule, oh well I will suggest a showing of A Clockwork Orange anyway.

I was hoping Last Tango might show up, but it didnt so I rented it from Netflix

Stanley Kubrick's birthday is this coming July, on the 26th. Maybe it would be a good idea to air A Clockwork Orange then, hopefully along with Barry Lyndon and The Shining as premieres and of course Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Paths of Glory and Lolita. It would be nice if they somehow showed the Kubrick documentary, Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures which was made back in 2001. I hear that it is a very good documentary and I have been dying to see it, I don't know if TCM already has plans for the line up in July but it is just a suggestion.

Kubrick's great ones for me, were "2001.." and "Dr. Strangelove";

My husband and I saw "A Clockwork Orange" way back when....interesting and Malcom McDowell was good, But "The Shining"....Stephen King wrote such a good book...but Kubrick made a mess of it!

Did he really direct "Last Tango In Paris"? I never knew that but wouldn't watch it anyway.

Thank you! I had forgotten that one. (And I like Bertolucci....)

You might want to consider giving LAST TANGO a shot. As you no doubt already know, it is laden with sexually provocative content. But if that doesn't make you queasy, the film is a dramatically dynamic tour-de-force for the great Brando, definitely among his greatest performances.

Kubrick's best films, in my opinion, are Barry Lyndon, Paths of Glory, 2001: A Space Odyssey[/i] and Dr. Strangelove.... However, I have a soft spot for The Shining, because it was my first Kubrick film. And, of course, Jack Nicholson is incredible in it. Anyway, if TCM showed any Stanley Kubrick films, any one of these would be what I want to see.

I have watched "Clockwork Orange" in the past month and it is still a stunner..there hasn't been a picture released in many many years that can touch it

Did anyone else catch that little homage to Clockwork Orange in Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny?

I love how even low-brow fare these days will usually do a little something to honor the great movies of the past!

Isn't it a peach, genius? Ahead of its time, portentous, upsetting and best of all, it starred my very favorite Brit detective before he was rotund -- Warren Clarke.

I'm glad I bought it when I did -- why it isn't played more is a mystery to me. Tootsie and Mrs. freaking Doubtfire get 5 million air plays and Clockwork gets none.

What a stupid industry.

Oops misread your post. Thought you said it wasn't banned. The caffine is making me jumpy.

Did he really direct Last Tango in Paris?

No! Kubrick did not direct Last Tango in Paris. The reason why I mentioned that movie was because Kyle said to me that If Last Tango in Paris airs on the Marlon Brando salute than it is ok for me to go ahead and suggest a showing of A Clockwork Orange. He says that if Last Tango in Paris is allowed to be shown uncut than A Clockwork Orange should be allowed too.