Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jean Arthur in Shane

She seemed too old to play the mother of Brandon de Wilde.

To whom? Maybe most of the women, but to me (and other posters have remarked on it a week or so ago) she seemed 10 years younger in most of her movies than she actually was (in the late '30s, early '40s ones) - and she was by no means decrepit by 1951 when "Shane" was filmed. That was about the same time she played "Peter Pan" (with Boris Karloff) on Broadway - about the same age Mary Martin was when she did it the last time for tv. Attitude (and makeup!), that'll do it for lots of actors.

Even in the "old days," she could have been, say, 35 when her child was born - making her early 40s in the movie. Van Heflin wasn't 25, either, was he?

Bill

I thought they did a great job, too with lighting and makeup because she really looks like she's in her 30s. Also---it is realistic in one respect because women back in the real frontier would have looked 50 by the time they were 25, with all the hard work and exposure to the elements and none of the glorious creams we have today!

;)

Is there some Jean Arthur "theme" on TCM lately??? Seems to me every other movie stars Jean Arthur; two or three a night, some nights!!! She's okay, but nothing to write home about, in my opinion. Not sure why she's so prominently featured as of late...

More to the point is that Arthur was eight years older than her "husband," Van Heflin, and thirteen years' Alan Ladd's senior.

Take a look at her other younger leading men:

Cary Grant (four years younger)

Gary Cooper (seven months)

Joel McCrea (five years)

John Lund (thirteen years)

Lee Bowman (eight years)

John Wayne (seven years)

Robert Cummings (eight years)

Ray Milland (five years)

William Holden (eighteen years)

Fred MacMurray (eight years)

Chester Morris (one year)

Victor Jory (one year)

George Murphy (two years)

James Stewart (eight years)

Richard Cromwell (ten years)

There were a few older leading men:

William Powell (eight years)

George Brent (fourteen months)

Charles Boyer (nineteen months)

Herbert Marshall (ten years)

Edward Arnold (ten years)

Edward G. Robinson (seven years)

Jack Holt (ten years)

Most of these older leading men were cast opposite her in her early career; by the time she was in her heyday, Arthur was cast consistently opposite younger men, which is a testament to her strong, appealing personality...and the skills of Hollywood's cinematographers and costume designers.

Jean is the Star of The Month. She has been featured each Tuesday night in Jan.

Re: Age.

As far as her age goes my grandmother was 49 when she gave birth to my father. He kids that she thought he was a tumour for several months. (He was the youngest of fourteen.)

Excellent point. Good photo.

I think some people who worked on the film must have studied old photos of Western pioneer ladies, because of the drab costumes and I think all the ladies in the Shane film looked fairly old, which generally was the way the pioneer mothers looked in 19th Century photos.

It is the young girls in "7 Brides for 7 Brothers" that is wrong, not the ladies in "Shane."

> Is there some Jean Arthur "theme" on TCM lately???

> Seems to me every other movie stars Jean Arthur; two

> or three a night, some nights!!! She's okay, but

> nothing to write home about, in my opinion. Not

> sure why she's so prominently featured as of late...

As noted above my post she was Star of the Month. I initially liked her a lot but with each film her voice...It started irritating me to the point that I turned off THE IMPATIENT YEARS half way through the film.

I liked her voice a lot at first but it just got on my nerves.

Are you trying to be funny? Better be careful, some people will flame you on here if you try to show a sense of humor or put down any movie or actor. Surely you knew Jean Arthur is Star Of The Month?

> > Is there some Jean Arthur "theme" on TCM lately???

> > Seems to me every other movie stars Jean Arthur;

> two

> > or three a night, some nights!!! She's okay, but

> > nothing to write home about, in my opinion. Not

> > sure why she's so prominently featured as of

> late...

>

> Are you trying to be funny? Better be careful, some

> people will flame you on here if you try to show a

> sense of humor or put down any movie or actor. Surely

> you knew Jean Arthur is Star Of The Month?

Ah but you see otter and others don't go around starting negative threads about every single movie that they don't like...

I think it's great that the "Star of the Month" will occasionally be someone less known than, say, a Clark Gable, Lucille Ball or Rita Hayworth. I happen to love some of the movies she was in and it's great to have TCM finally be able to show some rare Columbia titles that have apparently been unavailable for years.