Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Snack

drdoolittle

My clothes are getting tight just reading this thread, LOL!!!

I'm very slim and petite (athletic), but do try to watch it now that the years are creeping up on me; it's not as easy to "drop five" in a week as it used to be!!!

I can only hope those posting cheesecakes and Hagan-Daas don't watch as many movies as I do, or TCM may be singlehandedly responsible for the obesity epidemic in this country??? I snack-n-watch, but DO try to be sensible about it...

That said, I totally agree with your stand on "fat-free"; fat-free sucks and is a waste of time and money; even most low-fat versions of things are unsatisfying; studies have even proven that people just consume more of these to make up the difference in their fat/calorie intake... Fortunately, I naturally enjoy many non-fatty foods, but I also have no problem indulging in the "real deal"; just not too often...

As for "lite" cheese, Cabot creameries makes a great lower-fat sharp cheddar; I could likewise get by with the lite versions of both Cheez-Whiz and tortilla chips (of course salsa is naturally fat-free) for the nacho recipe below. Happy snackin'!

GEEK ALERT! I must have total silence while watching movies, therefore I don't snack, and anyone who dares to indulge is likely to get a nasty look from me. It's one of the main reasons I quit going to the theater years ago. I also have not eaten any snacks at all since 1985. Just my three meals. :-)

...I am in awe of your discipline.

It was tough in 1985, cut out snacks and sodas, started running, and dropped 40 pounds in a month. Not really discipline anymore though, I just don't enjoy eating. Didn't much as a kid either. I've always been a strange one! If there was a magic pill you could take to provide nutrition, I'd be the first in line.

When I was a kid I was partial to all things licorice. I would order licorice ice cream at the local Baskin-Robbins. As an adult, I can only imagine how truly awful licorice flavored ice cream must taste. God no, I would never try licorice flavored ice cream...now.

The only candy I ever bought at the movies was Good and Plenty. Here is how a "stoic Scandanavian" (thanks...Kyle) eats Good and Plenty. Remove one Good and Plenty candy from box and place in mouth. Keep in mouth while pink/white food coloring coating dissolves. Keep same candy in mouth while candy coating dissolves. Keep same candy in mouth while fifty percent of licorice cylinder dissolves...then eat remaining licorice cylinder. Remove one Good and Plenty candy from box...

I could make a box of Good and Plenty candies last through a long movie and several hours after the movie. Stoic? Well, I would call it deliberate Scandanavian behavior.

Rusty

By "penny candy," this is exactly what I meant. : D I used to take a bag of penny candy to bed with me every night as a kid and read and snack... Now it's movies (I am becoming less literate all the time)... But G&P was an acquired taste; never liked it till I was an adult (although I ate the licorice "laces"; not nearly as strong).

As for G&P, I must eat two at once: one white, one pink; it's not easy being OCD.

Dolores,

I don't remember ever thumb sampling chocolate candies. That said, my mother was the Champollion of Samplers. Even subtle differences of shape and color...my mom would correctly name candy contents. If mother wasn't around? Well, I would pass on the candy...or, take my chances.

By the way, how would somebody learn the ins and outs of confection morphology versus contents?

Rusty

Message was edited by:

jarhfive

Wow, Rusty, you got me there! Is that Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy lingo? Or am I being especially dense? :0

drdoolittle, I'd have to say Dulce De Leche from Haagen Daaz, and a powdered sugar cake donut.

I was at a Dunkin' Donuts one day, trying to buy ONLY cake donuts. The counter person had NO idea what I meant by a cake donut (as opposed to a raised or the ephermeral Krisy Kreme bites of sugar). I finally had to point to each one to make her understand what I wanted.

Stoneyburke, I do pledge by Barry Fitzgerald's pipe-stem, I am ENTIRELY serious with my M&M-cream cheese combo, but to get the full, exhilarating effect, you need to alternate forkfuls with those spicy pork rinds . .

But be warned:

Do not consume an original flavor Orange Julius smoothie for at least 3 hours afterward; the result can be devastating!!

Dolores,

Quote:

"Is that Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy lingo?"

Yes...yes, it is Galaxy lingo. Pretty cool...huh?

And, I never checked a chocolate candy for contents and put it back in the box. On the other hand...I have taken a perfectly good eclair from the trash and finished it off. And I have double dipped chips. Ah..."Seinfeld", so much truth.

Rusty

klondike, as someone who will try any (and I do mean any) food at least once, then I will have to give some thought to buying M&Ms, cream cheese and spicy pork rinds.

Have you tried peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwiches?

See what I mean? :)

Hmmm, although if I do dot my next cheesecake with M&Ms, I have to pass on the pork rinds. I can't see that going over too well with the in-laws!

Wow, I have to give myself an A-, since I never read it but admire the concept!!!

What is the number that is the meaning of life again? So true, it is.

And how weird, I read your first sentence and instantly thought get outttttta here, giving you a virtual shove, a la Elaine.

And then read your second paragraph!

Cue the Twilight Zone music........... :0

P.S. The box of candy was mine alone, I would never do that to a box I had to share............wellllll............

...I have taken a perfectly good eclair from the trash and finished it off.

Reminds me of my youth when I saw a brush covered in what appeared to be barbecue sauce sticking up out of our garbage. Ended up in the emergency room with a mouth, tongue, and throat full of oven cleaner. Yum.

I'm not much of a junk-food eater, but my weakness is food- food, like potatoes, etc. So when I'm getting ready to watch a movie, I pour either a glass of ice cold water or peach snapple and heat up a bag of alexia rosemary potatoes. I did go through a spurt where I would have sparkling peach cider with thin sliced whole wheat toast and jelly.

But, basically, most of the movies on TCM go good with any food!

I used to be a potato chip lover - but I now don't eat chips or candy. At first I couldn't do without it, but now I'm fine. I try to cut down on trans/saturated fats to lower my tricglyceride and cholesterol. I'm eating healthy foods now - so I'll either eat nothing for a snack or a piece of fruit.

I know that's not funny...

Yeah, it's funny, we still laugh about it. Mom was doing her best Lucy imitation, but Dad was a medic, and quickly neutralized it (can't remember how) before we ever got to the hospital. Played my last baseball game in Albuquerque a couple of hours later, unharmed but much wiser. Although I have a five minute rule on food that hits the floor, I skip the trash. :-)