Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Snack

drdoolittle

> " - I have to pass on the pork rinds. I can't see that going over too well with the in-laws!"

But, Stoneyburke, isn't that the goal in dealing with in-laws?

To try virtually anything to hasten their leaving for home, and staying away an extra long time, n'est ce pas?

> I have two snacks which are easy to make and are

> great. First, I take a block of Velveeta cheese with

> a jar of Newman's Own salsa. and cook in the

> microwave for 2 minutes, stir and cook for two

> minutes more or until creamy, dip with chips.

> Second, I buy the Armor meatballs, and take one jar

> of grape jelly, and one jar of Heinz chili sauce, mix

> all contents together in a crock pot and let it cook

> for an hour. Both are favs of mine.

That is the same way that I make queso dip!!! Gotta be Velveeta, and it's gotta be Newman's Own Salsa!! Excellent.

Sandy K

I was reading all these posts to my hubby and he reminded me that when we go to the theatre and see a movie, the snack of choice is Twizzlers.

Pat, I laughed so hard at that oven cleaner post! I know it wasn't funny at the time!

I like the cake donuts best, too. Some places call them "old-fashioneds."

Fun thread!

Sandy K

patful, a five minute rule? You go, patful!

klondike, these are people who cut all the fat off their steak cooked on the grill! Now, I ask you, if you grill a steak, do you eat the meat or the fat??!!!

sandykaypax, yes those are the donuts. I've even tried freezing them to eat them slower, but they called to me from the freezer. Have you ever seen the part in The Goonies where Chunk says: I smell ice cream? Well, that's me about donuts and ice cream.

drdoolittle, is a crumb cake muffin like a Drake's coffee cake? Do you (hmmmm, is there a pattern here?) sometimes take all the crumb off the coffee cake?

twister, that's about the only snack I can stay away from -- salted items. Those and soda and regular candy. Sugar (I grew up in a house that loved sweets and baked all the time with my mother) is my nemesis, no doubt about it. Even now with a changed food style, I have to incorporate sugar in some form.

Cool thread, drdoolittle. :)

I LOVE popcorn, but there are certain kinds I MUST have! First of all, nothing beats Orville -micro or real! However, I got myself a couple of years ago one of those 'back to basics' stove-top poppers - the ones with the crank. It makes THE best popcorn in the world! I can pop a 1/4-1/2 cup of Orville's and there literally will be ZERO old maids, and it is so darn fresh and tender, you can put whats leftover in sealing baggie, and it will be good (although not as good as hot and fresh) as two days later!

Message was edited by:

exapno

> "klondike, these are people who cut all the fat off their steak cooked on the grill! Now, I ask you, if you grill a steak, do you eat the meat or the fat??!!!"

Stoneyburke;

Perhaps my years of mushing, canoeing and bowhunting in the Subarctic wilderness are largely to blame, but I am so drawn to the culinary ecstacy of the presence of animal fat in cooked foods, that I will not even consider dining on any form of domestically raised meat that doesn't show a hearty percentage of marbling. Then again, I guess I've always been an adipose/cutaneous kind of guy; remember as a kid teasing your mom or dad for your favorite poultry part? While the others were pleading for white meat or a drumstick at my house, I was always at the end of the table chanting for: "Skin!" (I even feel the same when it comes to fish!)

Heck, when I get all kilted-up in my Highland regalia and attend the Scottish festivals held around New England each year, my favorite war-cry to fellow clansmen is: "Get yer Lard On!"

And don't even get me started on the subject of pan-fried salt pork!

klondike,

Your handle "klondike" is Yukon Klondike...not in praise of the Klondike Bar? I am sad.

By the way, a couple of days ago my wife brought home two chocolate items...one Hershey's super-extra-dark (60 percent cocoa) bar and one chocalate bar made by some company with an old world name (Ghiradelli?). A side by side taste comparison of good old Hershey and old world Ghiradelli indicates Hershey beat Ghiradelli by a mile when it comes to chocolate taste. The 60 percent cocoa Hershey's bar was super-duper chocolate tasting.

Rusty

Same here, klondike, and there was no mushing in my rearing! While all the others were eating the weekly grilled steaks done on a hibachi on the fire escape on the second floor (picture it!), I revelled in putting the fat between a bit of bread with ketchup on it. Heaven.

And to this day, I will leave the chicken and eat the skin. Same with hams of old. Today's cryovac'ed beauties don't contain the thick, almost inedible layers of skin and fat, but I used to do a job on the hams in the old days. I also prefer gristle to the meat as well.

Italians feel the same as the Scots, klondike (only the Scots have it all over us with their Scotch), and even put the extra fried bits of fat, from pancetta say, into a bread, the closest spelling of which is 'chicole' bread. Yum.

And don't get me started on bagpipes, I have an irrational love of them.

Really, Rusty? See that, Ghirardelli had me duped re their baking chocolate. I should do the same test.

The insufferable Whole Foods in this town sells Valronha chocolate for baking. I only was able to tolerate the store and its customers and its parking lot once, so I don't know if they have an even more expensive chocolate than that, but it was pretty much in the nose bleed section, price wise.

Have you tried Hershey's new line of kisses? The peanut butter kisses are.to.die.for!!

I am a snob when it comes to chocolate, I'm afraid. I like Lindt truffles and teuscher truffles. The latter are out of New York (and Europe of course) and were in the stratosphere when I bought them ages ago. If you want to die and go to heaven via chocolate, get some teuscher online, but sit down when you see the price. My opinion? They're worth it.

Chocolate and orange is THE marriage made in heaven.

Dolores...

Quote:

"And don't get me started on bagpipes, I have an irrational love of them."

Even if you hate the sound of bagpipes...you have to admire the person who masters the bagpipes. Several years ago, my brother gave me a chanter junior. A chanter is a bagpipe, without the bag...or the pipes. And junior means it is designed for the novice. Though it was a learning chanter, it cost my brother a bundle and I really did appreciate the present and I tried really hard to make pleasing sounds from the thing. My personal best...three good notes before a squeak. Okay, so the last wind instrument I played (poorly) was a clarinet and I was ten years old. The chanter is damn hard to play...and that is all I got to say.

Except, when I used to get liquored up...scotch was my choice of drink. I passed on single malt...just give me Johnny Walker Black...hell, I'll take Cutty Sark. Mmm...scotch.

Rusty

Dolores,

Oh yeah...I just read your sentence about cryovac hams and it reminds me of something I watched on television that was pretty funny.

Several years ago, on some television morning program, the guest was Paul Prudhomme and he was cooking something for the holiday. The holiday was Thanksgiving. Anyway, the morning show host asked one of those b.s. questions, "So, Paul...what's your favorite Thanksgiving meal?"

I could tell the host was expecting the standard b.s. reply, "oh...so much to choose from...I couldn't choose one favorite meal..." No. Paul had a favorite Thanksgiving meal. And, once he started talking, he got revved up..."my favorite Thanksgiving was going to my Aunt Somebody and she would cook a ham so the skin was just the right crispy and the meat...(several minutes on the ham)...and she would make this sweet potato dish...(a couple of more minutes describing sweet potatoes)...and the okra..." And on and on. Meanwhile the host has tried to interrupt Paul several times to move on. Finally, they cut to commercial while Paul is talking about the pecan pie...

I laughed.

Rusty

> "and even put the extra fried bits of fat, from pancetta say, into a bread, the closest spelling of which is 'chicole' bread. Yum.

And don't get me started on bagpipes, I have an irrational love of them."

Stoneyburke;

"Chicole" huh? Boy Howdy, I'm gonna start crashin' YOUR picnics! That sounds like to die for, just give me elbow room! And remember this heartfelt endorsement next time you're tempted to laugh at those cruel jokes about haggis!

You know the grandest non-ethnic thing about bagpipes? By some neat little quirk of our culture, every police officer & firefighter in America, regardless of gender, race, religion or nationality, is honorarily Scottish . . . at least when they are laid to Eternal Rest.

And that's pretty darn cool.

Rusty, I have to confess, my blotto-maker of choice is bourbon. Although scotch will do in a pinch. As will vodka. :)

klondike, IS haggis really what they say it is? Bits of a murdered beast's organs, boiled, stuffed BACK into the poor beast's stomach?

Yes, I'd taste it. But.....is it GOOD?

On my eternal threshold song of choice -- Amazing Grace. Before the advent of computer music (amazing piece of technology that), a friend recorded for me on a CD a version of Amazing Grace by a Scots Highland band whose name I have forgotten. But that's it. That's all I asked him to record for me.

Amazing Grace.

Over......and over........and over..........and over!

I wasn't kidding...irrational! :)

> "klondike, IS haggis really what they say it is? Bits of a murdered beast's organs, boiled, stuffed BACK into the poor beast's stomach?

Yes, I'd taste it. But.....is it GOOD?"

Stoneyburke;

Stand-by for Horizon Expansion - !

Haggis is a thin-skinned sausage roughly the size & shape of a football, consisting of an equal mixture of steelcut oatmeal, ground lamb & pork, cubed onions & turnips and seasoned broth, all bound into a tied-off sheath of translucent, clean-washed sheep's stomach; the entire noble package is slowly parboiled and then wet-roasted using various methods.

Mmmmmm!

But beware: mis-time or mis-execute the cooking method of your choice, and your first tableside puncture will paint the ceiling, half a wall & one of your shoulders with the steaming, pungent Food of the Ancient Gods.

Is it "good"? I think it's indescribably delicious, but then I'm so repulsed by lasagna, I won't feed it to my dog.

Welcome to America!

I usually snack on string cheese and wheat crackers, or peanut butter on saltines, or dry roasted, lightly salted peanuts. I almost always have a can of Coke while I'm munching. Recently I have found something new that I enjoy on a cold day: I place 4 teaspoons of Cafe Vienna coffee mix in a large mug and slowly stir in 8 to 10 ounces of hot (not boiling) milk. I use 2% reduced fat milk. The recipe is on the back of the tin of Cafe Vienna. I just finished watching a movie and had the cheese and crackers and Coke, and now I'm having the coffee. Think I'd better move on to the treadmill soon.

Bartlett - that's MY kinda eating! :) Eating is one of my only pleasures in life so I go for it whole hog (pun intended) and it may cause me health problems some day. (I hope not)

This is a great thread - and boy, have I got the munchies! I used to love 'penny candy' too and take it to bed with me and read for hours. I still love munching when I read - but I agree with whoever said they don't like 'noise' when they are watching movies. So - I indulge myself with cappucino - sometimes many of them. I usually don't eat when watching movies - which is a good thing, since I tend to eat like Bartlett any other time. *grin*

Hi Christine!

My favorite snacks: cookies, chocolate, doughnuts, spoonfuls of peanut butter, avocados, granola bars, pizza, peeps (it's Easter!), black olives... I have some strange snacks, don't I?

When I was a little girl, one of my favorite snacks would be spaghetti right out of the box. Not cooked... Not soft... Just the chew sticks. :)

Oh, and those white and milk chocolate kisses... They call them "Hugs" I believe. Gosh, I'm getting hungry just thinking about this!

bobhopefan1940, yes but HOW many spoonfuls of peanut butter? Smooth or creamy?

:) I try to read the label (if I've left my senses and brought it into the house which usually spells trouble but my dog is nuts about peanut butter) and figure out, okay, how many spoonfuls are THEY talking about when they mention a zillion calories per? Hmmmm........ah to heck with it..........and woops, there goes another jar of peanut butter!

You saw my line about smooth peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwiches? Read it in a Kinsey Millhone novel so I had to try it. Not bad.

But my favorite is still PB and strawberry jelly....on bread, on a spoon, on the floor, doesn't matter.

And you saw my line about the PEANUT BUTTER kisses? You gotta, gotta try them. Ignore the truffle ones (Lindt is better), and the caramel ones (blah) and the cherry ones and the plain ones ...... but you GOTTA get the peanut butter kisses.

*sigh*

You will thank me in the morning!

:)

LOL Creamy! :) Love the creamy peanut butter... The crunchy tastes a little odd to me. Thanks for the tip on this kisses! I think I saw those in Wally World the other day and was wondering if they were any good.

I just love anything with peanut butter... Usually two spoonfulls will do me in. :D But you haven't seen my spoonfuls ;)

I love giving peanut butter to my dog and watching him lick his lips for a half an hour afterwards...

Ah, the small joys in life.

Our family dog loved peanut butter, too! After she ate it, she would spend about 10 minutes laying on the floor wiping her front paws over her snout as though she could get it off the roof of her mouth that way. LOL! I really miss her.

She was so well behaved that one night she laid on the living room floor ALL NIGHT because there was a bowl of potato chips on the end table that my mom had been eating and left there. We got up the next day wondering why she never slept on any of our beds that night, like she always did. She was laying in front of that table with the bowl of chips! Of course, we then rewarded her by giving her the potato chips!

Sandy K

Hi bobhopefan!

I love black olives to. I never cared for avacado's. I have to say my favorite fruit would be Pineapple. it's good with a cream cheese. I love peanbutter and banana sandwiches.if you like hot chocolate you try dunkin donut's white hot chocolate it's very good.