Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Snack

drdoolittle

Thanks for that story about your dog, Sandy... I bet that was so sweet! I'm sorry you miss her, I recently lost a dog. She got loose and was hit on the highway. I felt like a part of me died when she did.

I'm trying to teach my dog the same thing (waiting for food). I set a piece of food right in front of him and he has to wait for the command to eat.

I had a particular problem with him. I like dogs that lick me in the mouth, but this one just would not do it! So I taught him the word "kiss" and now he has to give me a kiss before he can have his treats :)

drdoolittle, I have never tried dunking doughnuts in coffee! I bet it is delicious... I'll have to try it. Not everyone likes avacados... I like to split them in half and put salt on them. Guacamole dip is also one of my favorite snacks... Don't get me started on it, I'll never stop!

With all these great posts about sharing treats with dogs, I feel compelled to remind EVERYBODY here on the Boards that no matter how tempted we might be, we must NEVER give our canine companions any foods containing chocolate or raisins, as those ingredients can make dogs severely ill, or sometimes, even KILL them!

(Chocolate can cause convulsions and even life-threatening seizures, and raisins have been traced to canine fatalities from sudden, traumatic renal failure.)

Hope I don't sound pushy or bossy, but this is important!

You don't sound pushy at all! That's a very important fact to know--no chocolate for dogs! I did know about that, but I had never heard that dogs shouldn't have raisins, either. Thanks for the advice.

Now, does anyone know if mashed potatoes are harmful for cats? My cat loves them--he will try to lick them right off my plate. I don't let him, of course! But I will save him a little bit after I'm done eating! He likes them plain or with gravy.

bobhopefan, sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. They truly are like members of the family and best friends.

Sandy K

Absolutely not, klondike, you're quite right. There are others: raisins/grapes, onions, mushrooms, and macadamia nuts (and don't forget about plants and shrubs). I can't verify these, but have seen these on dog sites where I visit. sandy, these foods are apparently toxic to cats: onions, garlic, raw potatoes and green tomatoes, grapes/raisins and of course chocolate. I found these by googling 'foods that are poisonous to cats/dogs'.

drdoolittle, I like pb and banana sandwiches, yes. I tried Elvis's sandwich, but it was a bit much, even for me! I see the PB Hershey kisses in all the supermarkets now (they were hard to find awhile ago), as well as the drugstore chains.

bobhopefan1940, isn't guacamole delish? I'm sorry about your dog. I lost my first dog, and it broke my heart. She was elderly and a rescue. My new dog is a youngster, and full of energy. He likes to give kisses (which not everyone thinks is as charming as I do!). Donuts dunked in coffee are very good, as are biscotti.

Think there's a trend here? I wonder if movie lovers are also food lovers????? :)

I just want to thank everyone for the condolences on my lost puppy dog. I didn't want weigh this thread down with images, so here's a photo of her for those who want to see what she looked like:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n240/crosbyana/Copyofgacie.jpg

She was an Australian Shepherd, and a rescue from the pound. She had a desease when she was little and I gave her IV's. It was obviously heartbreaking to have her die senselessly when she had been through so much.

Thanks for all the recommendations on what NOT to feed cats/dogs, alot of them (like raisins) I didn't know about. My dog likes granola bars so I better watch out for the ones with raisins. His favorite snacks are slices of cheese, and hotdogs :) He's a Jack Russell (another rescue from the pound).

Anyway, back to snacks! Guacamole is glorious! I love the kind they have at the Mexican restaurants... It's very thick. Much better than the sour tasting kind they sell at the supermarket.

I don't usually eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches... I used to eat celery and peanut butter when I as a child, though. I also used to buy the "real lemon" containers from the supermarket and drink it alone. My brother loved the "real lime." *lol* Oddities run in the family! ;)

I love tomato and mayonaise sandwhiches, though... With salt and pepper. Delicious...

:) I love this thread, by the way.

Dear bobhopefan!

I'm so sorry to hear about your dear sweet puppy. I love the picture those eyes got to me.At least he knew someone loved him a lot. when I say my prayers tonight ,I will ask my beloved kitty and bird to take of him. I know it sounds silly it's my way of letting them how much I still love them. I also love tomato and mayo sandwiches. Have you ever tried fried green tomato sandwiches. they are pretty good.My dad would always put a couple of tomato's aside for me.If you like hot cocoa try a little jam in it it's actually pretty good. Again I'm sorry to hear about your pup. My thoughts are with you!

Sincerely

Christine

Thanks for the link to the photo of your dog. What a sweet face.

Hubby and I are not football fans so we have been watching a bit of the Puppy Bowl and Kitty Halftime Show on Animal Planet. We just about had a cute attack.

It is 2 degrees outside right now!!!! Windchill some ridiculous below zero number...I watched 3 films today while staying warm inside--Queen Bee, The Joker Is Wild and Best Foot Forward! A good day.

Sandy K

Bobhopefan, good guacamole is very easy to make. Just mash together 2 ripe avocados, a clove of garlic minced, some salt and pepper, a little finely chopped onion and a few squeezes of lime.

I just finished making Fritos casserole. I know, how trailer trash, but it is good.

> Bobhopefan, good guacamole is very easy to

> make. Just mash together 2 ripe avocados, a clove of

> garlic minced, some salt and pepper, a little finely

> chopped onion and a few squeezes of lime.

> I just finished making Fritos casserole. I know, how

> trailer trash, but it is good.

Could you explain "Trailer Trash" to me? Where did that come from?

I think it takes an artist to be able to cook the best fried green tomatoes. Some people cook them to the limp squishy stage but that?s not long enough. Others cook them to the crisp ?potato chip? stage and that?s too much. They need to be stiff but not too crisp.

Could you explain "Trailer Trash" to me? Where did that come from?

Yes, I agree...

Irene: I really appreciate the info on the recipes! I'm not a good cook, so I'm sure I'll find a way to screw even the most simple recipe up! But I'm gonna try really hard... Sounds delicious. :)

Sandy, I envy your day! Sounds wonderful just staying inside to try to keep warm, watching movies... I love watching movies anytime, but it's really great when you have to stay inside (like during a rain storm) and popping in a good flick.

That's so cute! I saw the Puppy Bowl was on today... But I just had to see what Manning's going to do. He's the only football player I have thought twice about.

:) Thanks for the replies... I really am going to try that guacamole recipe!

I was just asking an a honest question on the term, and expected an informative answer not a smart butt remark! Obviously your reply was a "9 1/2 on the 10 stress scale". You obviously read my post the wrong way, and shot from the hip. Your going to fit right in here specifically on the arguments that are saturated in various threads. I am not apprecaitive of your remark about living in a cave which you rudely inquired. Welcome to the Board you are going to fit right in the disruptive threads with your attitude!

Bartlett

Stop In Philly, PA, go to 3rd and Oregon Ave, and get in line at Tony Luke's. Get a cheesesteak with provolone and extra fried onions and crank up the dvd player. It'll be, without a doubt, the best sandwich you'll ever eat and you won't be hungry again for at least the next six hours! I'm now in South Alabama to escape the cold northern weather (9 degrees in Philly tonight) and I haven't found a "Po Boy" that comes close to the original Philly Cheesesteak! Seeya...

redheadedwoman, try Haagen Daz's dulce de leche. You won't be sorry. Be careful, though. I see now that the crooks who make Dove ice cream think 15.1 ounces is a pint. What a world, first 56 oz. Turkey Hill half gallons and now 15.1 ounce pints by the Dove ice cream makers.

drdoolittle, I used to love Fluffernutter sandwiches! I guess it was fat and sugar on white flour bread, but I didn't care. I'd eat them still if I could get away with it.

Finally, to whomever here told me about M&Ms, cream cheese and pork rinds -- I still don't know if you were kidding, but I tried this (even for me! ) weird mixture. I have to say, I will definitely be putting M&Ms on my next cheesecake (turns out there is already a recipe out there in internet land), but I stopped at one pork rind. But thanks for sharing.

> "Finally, to whomever here told me about M&Ms, cream cheese and pork rinds . . . but I tried this (even for me! ) weird mixture . . . but I stopped at one pork rind."

That was me, SB; glad to hear ya made it halfway; as for the chicharrones, you'll come around to those, too, I'll just bide my time and wait to hear . . .

In the meantime, if you really like HD's Dulce de Leche, and want something similar but a little different once in a while, try giving their Creme Brulee a shot; I like it even a little bit better!

(No pork rinds required!)

Usually:

Peanuts in the shell or pistachios

Soy yogurt smoothie made with mixed berries or stawberries and bananas

Kashi Strawberry Fields cereal w/ soy milk

Acai juice

sometimes (and preferably homemade):

mozzarella chesse sticks w/bleu cheese and marinara

chicken wings w/ bleu cheese

popcorn (air popped)

cheese and salsa dip w/ tortilla chips

wanting junk food and not in the mood to cook:

Caprese pizza (from Whole Foods)

Hi stoneyburke!

I still have to have my fluffernutter at least one every six months.I tried it on wheat bread not to bad but better on white bread.

I'm glad that you enlighten us about Dove ice cream makers I never checked the ounces on the packages.but I will now I don't like being ripped off.

Christine

Oh, my goodness... I can't agree with this!!! Inspired by something I read (possibly right here on this very thread???), I too bought the EXACT SAME two chocolate bars for taste comparison; it seems unbelievable, but it's true???

The Hershey's had weird little black specks in it (cacao???) that were *nasty* tasting; the G-bar was smooth as silk... I can't in all honesty say I prefer either to good old fashioned Hershey's MILK chocolate, but the G-bar won hands down.