Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Snack

drdoolittle

Word of warning to those of you who enjoy snacking on seeds as I do; it never fails but that I spend a happy evening munching pistachios, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or peanuts out of the shell but that I come down with a nasty cold? It's almost inevitable that, along with touching the shell and my mouth (GOTTA lick the salt off!!!), I also touch: the computer keyboard, the TV remote, the pages of the -- library; ech!!! -- book. So if you "shell-snack," hands off...

stoneyburke, I really don't think I will ever buy them again, though... I've nearly gone through the entire bag since I got home! :) I'm not lying, these really are the best... They rock!

otterhere you can get a cold from shelled nuts? Are you serious or did I misunderstand you?

I've eaten sunflower seeds (in the shell) all my life, but have always had bad sinus. I consider it allergies, but could it be the shells? Could you ellaborate? I'm very curious...

bhf1940

M & Ms, cream cheese and pork rinds???? It sounds an unfortunate use of M & Ms. They're wonderful with ice cream but....

I don't know whether I mentioned it before but the "Turtle" Chex Mix (Chocolate, popcorn and the usual) is too good. You could eat a bag before you know it.

Anyone getting hungry?

I think you will like it, esp. if u like carmel popcorn...I usually get the "light" brand of the dip because the reg. one is pretty heavy. Actually the "light" one is alot better. My fav. apple is Granny Smith. Living in seattle it is apple heaven. Iam from back east and I never seen apples such as these. Very big, very juicy and plump. Washington is the perfect state for my snack.

MissTexasRunnerup (were you really?) you've got me intrigued.

A Rice Krispie treat with cheese? Can you share the proportions? I love cheese, and these sound verrry interesting.

And if anyone is interested, I can share my really quick truffle recipe.

movieman1957, it was klondike that shared the pork rind and M&M and cream cheese recipe. But I was thinking, klondike, I bet you have a better caliber of pork rind than I do here in New Yawk and I bet that makes all the difference.

On caramel dip and apples -- I bet that's a good idea too, since most caramel apples that are around at Halloween are a wonderful treat. But kim, you are correct, fresh apples bear NO resemblance to the 'months old stored in a warehouse' apples that are in stores now. Since they keep forever and ever (like potatoes), we get them when they are no longer fresh and still pay high prices for them. A friend had a potato in Idaho and said it bore NO resemblance to the potatoes he had here in New Yawk.

Food and movies, what fun!

> "A Rice Krispie treat with cheese? Can you share the proportions? I love cheese, and these sound verrry interesting.

And if anyone is interested, I can share my really quick truffle recipe.

movieman1957, it was klondike that shared the pork rind and M&M and cream cheese recipe. But I was thinking, klondike, I bet you have a better caliber of pork rind than I do here in New Yawk and I bet that makes all the difference.

On caramel dip and apples -- I bet that's a good idea too, since most caramel apples that are around at Halloween are a wonderful treat. But kim, you are correct, fresh apples bear NO resemblance to the 'months old stored in a warehouse' apples that are in stores now. Since they keep forever and ever (like potatoes), we get them when they are no longer fresh and still pay high prices for them. A friend had a potato in Idaho and said it bore NO resemblance to the potatoes he had here in New Yawk. "

That's it! I'm taking my wooden spoon & my shake-a-pudding cannister and going home!

After everybody jeered my sublime M&M/cream cheese/pork rind combo, you folks are actually attracted to the culinary nightmare fusion of CHEESE (ordinarily, King of All Snacks) and the ultimate toothaching pancreas-killer, Rice Krispie Treats!

Stoneyburke, I thought we meant more to each other! Clearly, it's all been a big sham (> sniff <) !

By the way, kimpunkrock's right; Washington State apple are beyond compare; I lived on Vashon Island for 7 years, so I know it for a fact; ya just ain't lived til you've quartered up a fresh, juicy Chehalis Golden Delicious, smeared it with Skippy creamy peanut butter, and chowed down!

P.S: SB, you'd lose you bet: I now have to shop for my Mexican & Creole foodstuffs "back home" here in North Central New England, and that's like talking Zydeco music at a Norman Rockwell exhibit; I have to make monthly "ethnic grocery runs" to Boston or Burlington!

> That's it! I'm taking my wooden spoon & my

> shake-a-pudding cannister and going home!

> After everybody jeered my sublime M&M/cream

> cheese/pork rind combo, you folks are actually

> attracted to the culinary nightmare fusion of CHEESE

> (ordinarily, King of All Snacks) and the ultimate

> toothaching pancreas-killer, Rice Krispie Treats!

Klondike:

While we may disagree on the M&Ms, I am with you on the Rice Krispie treats. Never have I come across anything that, for me, had less taste than those. (I understand they are a favorite because they are everywhere.)

Whatever there is there is very little that seemingly can't be improved by adding chocolate. (Yum!)

Have fun.

Chris

You're forgiven, SB . . just help me keep smilin'!

Time was, I was an Alaskan, for a while; and a Yukonite, and a Washington Stater, and an Idahoan, and a Cheesehead, and a Brit-Columbian . . . well, I've wandered around, just a touch.

But anymore, I've come full-circle, and am once again a native Vermonter.

Ah, so you're a flatlander, eh? How cool that you got around. Which do you like best?

Some of the best cheese and maple syrup and honey in the world in Vermont, although folks there (IMO!!) are kinda squirrelly, no?

And, stay away from Manchester in October.......the bus people!!!!!!!!!!! There's a place in Woodstock (I believe) where they roast ears of corn outdoors, slather it in butter, and then let the customers douse it in any (and I do mean any!) spice, sweet or savory, that they wish. Man, it's heaven.

But, I would still like to try Rice Krispies and cheese........heck, if I tried pork rinds and cream cheese, I'll try anything, right?

Right. :)

I'm referring to the transfer of germs from hands/fingers to mouth (point of entry for viruses)... When I eat a shelled seed/nut, I pop it from my hand to my mouth to suck off the salt, the pop it back out into my hand to shell it, then pop it BACK into my mouth... If I've also touched the remote, a book, the keyboard -- germs... After this last flu, I've resolved that if I eat seeds, I'll do absolutely nothing else!!!

Oh my! There's simply no comparison. In Philadelphia, they have pretzel bakeries, all over the city. Some are better than others, but ALL of them, are better than anywhere else in the world. They are nothing like the frozen ones. The best pretzel bakery in Philadelphia, is De Palma's on Cottoman Avenue!

I don't live in Philadelphia; but, as someone who has travelled all over this world, it is simply the best city in the whole world, for delicious junk food! Cheesesteaks, hoagies, pretzels, Italian Water Ice, and their bakeries are superb! Only New York comes close.

The same with bagels. Even in Westchester, which isn't far from NYC, there is NO bagel that compares to one I had when I brought my poor sick dog to the AMC on the East Side.

I can't even describe how good and different it was compared to every other bagel I had had up to that point. I have not had one since.

Are the Philly pretzels similar to the pushcart pretzels in NYC? They are from the same vendors who keep their hot dogs swimming in the same filthy water all day, but both are indescribably delicious. Do you put yellow mustard on your pretzels, johnm001?

Philadelpia pretzels are nothing like NY pretzels. There is actually a thing called pretzel mustard in Philadelphia. I can eat a pretzel any way, but they are so damned good in Philadelphia, that putting mustard on them just distracts. They don't need it. I wish I could share them with everyone who's never had one. Particularly, the aforementioned, DePalma's bakery ones.

otterhere,

Quote:

"The Hershey's had weird little black specks in it (cacao???) that were *nasty* tasting; the G-bar was smooth as silk... I can't in all honesty say I prefer either to good old fashioned Hershey's MILK chocolate, but the G-bar won hands down.."

I'm unhappy you had such a bad time with the Hershey's bar.

Here's an idea. I'll private message my home address to your private message box. If you have any of the Hershey's bar left...I would be happy to pay for shipping Hershey bar remains to my home address.

I prefer bittersweet chocolate to milk chocolate and that 60 percent Hershey's punches my taste ticket. I guess I am not alone. I looked the thing up and some wine magazine called QRW did a taste test of dark chocolates and rated the top ten, as follows:

Epicure’s Guide to Dark Chocolate (Elisabeth Townsend) Top Ten Dark Chocolate Bars:

Amedei Chuao, bitter chocolate extra, 70 percent

Scharffen Berger, bittersweet pure dark chocolate, 70 percent

Lake Champlain Small World Chocolates, Grenada, 60 percent

Paris, very dark chocolate, 77 percent

Amedei 9, bitter chocolate extra, 75 percent

Lake Champlain Small World Chocolates Sao Thome, 70 percent

Hershey’s, extra dark, pure dark chocolate, 60 percent

Valrhona Manjari, 64 percent

E. Guittard Madagascar, 65 percent

Endangered Species, supreme dark chocolate, 72 percent

There is my Hershey's at number seven.

I prefere scotch over any other type of liquor...which is probably odd. Maybe, my taste in snacks is odd. My morning ritual used to be stopping at the drive-up coffee place. I would order a double shot of expresso. I really looked forward to the chocolate covered coffee bean supplied gratis with every coffee. Loved those beans. Well, the coffee placed closed. So, I had to go back to my traditional eye opener...home made expresso with a chocolate covered Adipex.

I just read the opinion this thread...chocolate covered anything is good. I'm thinking about inventing chocolate covered capers.

Poindexter