Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sidney Sheldon, 1917-2007

I don't see a thread on him yet. He apparently won an Oscar for Best Screenplay for "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer". Amongst the many obits is one here:

quoting:

Best-selling novelist Sidney Sheldon, who created "I Dream of Jeannie," won a screenwriting Oscar and two Tony awards, died Wednesday in Rancho Mirage from complications of pneumonia, his publicist said. He was 89.

[...]

His career as a novelist came after winning an Academy Award for best original screenplay for the 1947 Cary Grant-Shirley Temple film, "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer" and creating the 1963-66 ABC comedy "The Patty Duke Show."

Sheldon also created the lighthearted 1979-84 ABC mystery "Hart to Hart" and won two Tony Awards in 1959 as an author of the musical "Redhead" and a writer of its book.

He really was a prolific and talented showbiz creator. One of the last of the breed that came in on the tail end of the studio system. I will never forget how astonished I was when I learned the same guy who wrote Rage of Angels also created "I Dream of Jeannie". ;)

Miss G

I was on a reading kick of his books about 20 years ago, but after The Advernturers he started to get a little too kinky for my taste. I never realized he was the writer for all those TV shows though.

Anne

Also wrote screenplays for "Annie get your Gun", "The Barkleys of Broadway" & " Billy Rose's Jumbo" Directed "The Buster Keaton Story" "Dream Wife" w-Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr and "Buster and Billie" (1974)

I too read alot of his "Trashy" novels.

RIP Mr. Sheldon

vallo

Rage of Angels is the only one of his books I've read, but it made a big impression because I couldn't have been more than 12 or 13 when I picked it up at the library. It was the first of those "trashy" adult novels I'd ever come across. I loved it. ;) But though I have tried to read one or two others, that was the only one which held my attention. I seem to recall that Jaclyn Smith did a TV-movie based upon it?

Hi,

He was a very talented man: writer, producer and general fixer-upper of several TV shows.

I knew his wife, Jorja Cortright, and often had lunch with her at MGM's commissary in the early 50's. She was a great beauty and a friend of Loretta Youngs. She was a sometime actress and later went into interior decorating with Loretta's mother, Gladys.

R.I.P. Sidney.

Larry

Y'know, I heard about this late last night from the oddest of sources. I was listening to Coast to Coast AM with George Noory (it's a paranormal and other strange stuff radio show) and the guest that night (J.J. Hurtek) mentioned that Sidney had died. Apparently they worked together on a book having to do with Alien conspiracy and other stuff in 1991.

Anywho....

About 10 years ago (wow can't believe it's been that long) I found a couple of his books in a cellar. Me, in my cluelessness actually read one of them on a class trip to Washington D.C. The books were IF TOMORROW COMES (it was ok) and the one I loved the most (and the one I took along on that trip) was BLOODLINE.

Can't believe a guy that more or less paved the way for authors like Danielle Steele is the same guy that worked in the waning days of the Hollywood studio system and created I DREAM OF JEANIE.

Considering his filmic contributions over the years, do you think he'll be included in this year's "TCM Remembers" piece? Sorry for planning so far ahead, but the days go by faster and faster, sadly.

He won an Oscar; for that he deserves to be remembered.

I don't know if the Academy will 'remember' him in their show in a few weeks' time, but if TCM can remember Betty Comden and that guy who banged the gong for the old British movies, they should have the decency to honor Sheldon, too.