Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LAST DAY! ?THE TCM Programming Challenge: Take 5? with PRIZES

Ben, great schedule. I know you worked very hard on this. From the earlier post on how you envisioned the promo you came up with, to the finished schedule, it's terrific.

I am definitely in favor of Gregory Peck for Star of the Month.

Lots of cartoons, shorts, trailers, too.

The DVD set on William Haines is interesting. I don't recall hearing of him before but in looking at his bio I see that he was a big star in the silent days at MGM. That's the sort of wonderful stuff each of us brings to this board.

Congratulations on an excellent job.

Thank you, filmlover, for your kind words and ALL your help. I realize what a consuming position you are in and don't know how you'll prevent your brain from becoming "scrambled eggs." ;)

This has been a fun challenge scheduling movies, etc. The most fun was the research. I discovered many treasures...most of them I've "stored" for future challenges.

Congratulations to everyone's posted schedules so far. They are all great!

In some ways, ben, I think my brains may go from scrambled eggs to sunny-side up, for I may have it the easiest since I won't have to decide on which schedule to vote for this time. You and others on the message boards have that tough voting decision ahead of you starting March 8th. (As moderator/host, I will only cast my vote in case of a tie.)

The schedules posted so far are all beyond incredible and I don't envy those who will have to pick one. And as the competition is open for about two more weeks, there will be more schedules from everyone who would like to participate, and that means more choices. But I am very happy because of seeing so many first-timers taking part this time, and producing schedules that match in quality those of people who have participated since the very first Challenge.

filmlover

NOTES ON A SCHEDULE

I love summer. It's a great time for hanging out in familiar places...with familiar faces. It's also a great time for "discovering" new places...and faces.

I love music. It's always been a significant and important part of my life. My taste in music, as in everything else-movies included, is quite eclectic-enabling me to "explore" my many moods. I am always thrilled to "discover" a great compilation and I enjoy making "mix tapes."

The majority of my schedule was inspired by the great summer song, "Dancin" In The Streets" by Martha Reeves And The Vandellas.

My schedule is my summer "mix tape."

SUNDAY

Features various "types" of fathers played by Robert Young, Spencer Tracy, Bob Crane, Jimmy Stewart, James Dunn and Burl Ives...Father's Day tribute is tailor-made for my star of the month-Gregory Peck-as the "father of the year" in "The Yearling" and (my personal favorite movie of all time) "To Kill A Mockingbird."

German cinema is explored with the classic (silent) "Pandora's Box" and Fassbinder's homage to "All About Eve" and Douglas Sirk.

Great performance-Peggy Ann Garner in "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn."

Music highlights-Scores from Bernard Herrmann, Alfred Newman and Elmer Bernstein...and Doris Day singing "Que Sera Sera" (Oscar win for best song.)

MONDAY

Mae West brings her scandalous play, "Diamond Lil'," to the screen-shortest movie (66m) ever nominated for best picture Oscar and led to the formation of the National Legion Of Decency in October, 1933.

"Why don't you come up sometime and see me?"

Clark Gable goes commando...undershirt sales drop. Claudette Colbert uses her gams to hitch a ride...jaws drop. Finally, the "walls of Jerico" drop...everybody wins an Oscar!

Great performance-Bette Davis in "Of Human Bondage."

See-1906 San Francisco earthquake!

Music highlights-Score from Alfred Newman and Jeanette MacDonald singing-with Maurice Chevalier and, of course, Nelson Eddy.

(Strange trivia-Blossom Rock (Grandmama Addams and countless film appearances) is the older sister of Jeanette MacDonald.)

TUESDAY

Foreign lands a-plenty!

Great cameos in "Around The World In 80 Days." (Check out IMDb for a complete list-including the names of ALL the extras! Must see!)

Great performance-Toshiro Mifune in "Rashomon."

Music highlights-Scores from Henry Mancini, Jerry Goldsmith and Max Steiner...Desi Arnaz...and the soundtrack to "Zabriskie Point-"including original songs from Jerry Garcia and Pink Floyd.

WEDNESDAY

George Cukor directs the feature film debut of Anthony Perkins and the final films of Marilyn Monroe and Greta Garbo.

Great performances-The entire casts of "The Maltese Falcon" and "The Misfits." Thank you, John Huston!

Bob Fosse's choreography for "Sweet Charity."

Music highlights-"Rock Rock Rock!" features performances from Chuck Berry, The Flamingos, LaVern Baker, Frankie Lymon And The Teenagers, et al.

"Harold And Maude" alert-Ruth Gordon adapted her autobiographical play for "The Actress" and plays Miss Ruth Ellis (Melvyn Douglas' secretary) in "Two-Faced Woman." Bud Cort appears as a "hippie" in "Sweet Charity."

THURSDAY

Katharine Hepburn and David Lean do Venice.

Geraldine Page, Katharine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Montgomery Clift and others do Tennessee (Williams.)

Great performances-the cast of "Suddenly, Last Summer."

Music highlights-Judy Garland...Scores from Max Steiner, Elmer Bernstein and Nino Rota...the music of Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy...Johnny Mandel's and Paul Francis Webster's Oscar winning song, "The Shadow Of Your Smile."

Strange cameos-Gore Vidal in "Suddenly, Last Summer" and two from "A Midsummer Night's Dream-"Kenneth Anger as "Changeling Prince" and Billy Barty as "Mustard-Seed, A Fairy."

Mystery-Who played Sebastian Venable?

FRIDAY

Fred and Ginger dancing on the fabulous sets of Van Nest Polglase with the fabulous songs from Irving Berlin and incidental music from Max Steiner!

"Raise your glass of vino and sing the Piccolino."

The brilliant choeography (and co-direction) of Jerome Robbins to the music of Leonard Bernstein!

The Oscar winning score from Elmer Bernstein with additional music/songs from Jimmy Van Heusen, Sammy Cahn, Andre Previn and Joseph Gershenson!

The songs from Jerome Kern with Paul Robeson's legendary rendition of "Ol' Man River!"

Music highlights-Yes!

Great performances-Carol Channing in "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and Edward G. Robinson in "Little Caesar."

"Minority" report-Pioneers Rita Moreno, Hattie McDaniel, James Whale, William Haines, Daisy and Violet Hilton, Angelo Rossitto and "Victim."

"Freaks" alert on TCM Underground-Angelo Rossitto is in "Child Bride" and The Hilton Sisters are in "Chained For Life."

SATURDAY

Bad dialogue and great cameos-"The Oscar."

Great dialogue and great cameos-"The Player."

Great performances-Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Boulevard" and Joanne Woodward in "The Three Faces Of Eve."

Music highlights-Scores from Franz Waxman, Frank Skinner and Dimitri Tiomkin...Judy Garland.

And that concludes my (brief) notes. Thank you.

Ben

Message was edited by:

benwhowell

Message was edited by:

benwhowell

ben, we must think alike. The first Challenge schedule I ever did had tributes to Father's Day and Bob Fosse. A later one I did, in honor of Lindbergh's famous flight, had a salute to films around the world.

What is it they say about great minds?

Opening shot: An oversized eight-ball with George O'Hanlon peeking out, and a title card reading:

"So You Want to Program TCM"

Note: since the title of this programming challenge was "Take 5", I have a number of themes that have something to do with the number 5.

SUNDAY, APRIL 29, 2007

SUNDAY MORNING: NFL DRAFT: HOLLYWOOD LOOKS AT FOOTBALL

6:00 AM Cowboy Quarterback (1939, RKO, 56 min)

7:00 AM The Big Game (1936, RKO, 74min)

8:15 AM So This is College (1929, MGM, 97 min)

Short: College Hounds (1930, MGM/Dogville, 16 min)

SYNCOPATION STATION

10:15 AM Good News (1947, MGM, 93 min)

SUNDAY AFTERNOON: Movies of the sort Ben Mankiewicz might program, if he were the Guest Programmer

12:00 PM It Should Happen To You (1954, Columbia, 87 min)

1:30 PM Forbidden Planet (1956, MGM, 98 min)

3:15 PM The Bellboy (1960, Paramount, 72 min, p/s)

4:30 PM Second Chance (1953, RKO, 82 min)

Note: Ben's Saturday/Sunday afternoon movies don't always seem to have a theme, except that they're generally more recent movies than what's shown on weekdays, and seem somewhat more well known. Therefore, I picked four movies that seem like the sort that Ben would introduce.

Encore of previous week's "Essentials"

6:00 PM Saboteur (1942, Universal, 110 min, p/s)

SUNDAY IN PRIME TIME: A SALUTE TO TWO-STRIP TECHNICOLOR

8:00 PM Hollywood Revue (1929, MGM, 116 min)

10:00 PM Rio Rita (1929, RKO, 105 min)

Short: Toyland Broadcast (1934, MGM)

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS

12:00 AM Ben-Hur (1925, WB, 143 min)

2:30 AM Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933, WB, 77 min)

4:00 AM The Florodora Girl (1930, MGM, 79 min)

5:30 AM Festival of Shorts: "The Devil's Cabaret" and "Crazy House" from MGM in 1930

MONDAY, APRIL 30

MONDAY MORNING: EVE ARDEN (1908-1990) Birthday Salute

6:00 AM Having Wonderful Time (1938, RKO, 70 min)

7:15 AM My Dream Is Yours (1939, WB, 101 min)

9:00 AM Comrade X (1940, MGM, 104 min)

10:45 AM Sing for Your Supper (1941, Columbia, 66 min)

12:00 PM Mildred Pierce (1945, WB, 111 min)

MONDAY AFTERNOON: Three movies that are roughly reminiscent of the upcoming prime-time feature

2:00 PM The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944, Paramount, 99 min, p/s)

3:45 PM The Lady Vanishes (1938, Gainsborough, 97 min, p/s)

5:30 PM The Last Hurrah (1958, Columbia, 121 min)

Short: Women in Hiding (1939, CDNP, 22 min)

MONDAY PRIME TIME: GLENDA FARRELL BOX SET

8:00 PM Life Begins (1932, WB, 71 min)

9:15 PM Girl Missing (1933, WB, 69 min)

10:30 PM Torchy Runs for Mayor (1939, WB, 60 min)

(also in box set: Three on a Match (1932) and Mary Stevens, M.D. (1933))

MONDAY OVERNIGHT: Three Features that are vaguely reminiscent of the previous prime-time feature

11:45 PM I Want to Live! (1958, UA, 120 min)

2:00 AM It Happened One Night (1934, Columbia, 105 min)

Short: Bus Pests (1945, Pete Smith)

4:00 AM Woman of the Year (1942, MGM, 114 min)

TUESDAY, MAY 1

TUESDAY MORNING/AFTERNOON: SPOT THE OBVIOUS THEME :-)

6:00 AM Maytime (1937, MGM, 132 min)

8:15 AM Penguin Pool Murder (RKO, 1932, 65 min)

Short: Them Thar Hills (1934, Hal Roach, 20 min, p/s)

9:45 AM Shanghai Express (1932, Paramount, 80 min, p/s)

11:30 AM Gaslight (1944, MGM, 114 min)

1:30 PM She Done Him Wrong (1933, Paramount, 65 min, p/s)

2:45 PM Waterloo Bridge (1931, Universal, 81 min, p/s)

4:15 PM Lady For a Day (1933, Columbia, 96 min)

6:00 PM White Heat (1949, WB, 114 min)

Note: The last few times TCM has shown "Lady for a Day", the run-time has been listed as 88 minutes, although in February 2006 they aired the 96-minute version (which is the only length listed at IMDb). If TCM could only air the 88-minute version, then scratch "White Heat" and replace it with:

5:45 PM Little Women (1949, MGM, 121 min)

TUESDAY IN PRIME TIME: MAY DAY -- MOVIES WITH DISTRESS CALLS

8:00 PM The Towering Inferno (1974, Fox/Warner 165 min, p/s)

11:00 PM The Wreck of the Mary Deare (1959, MGM, 105 min)

1:00 AM In Which We Serve (1942, Two Cities, 115 min, p/s)

3:00 AM War of the Planets (1965, Mercury Intl/MGM, 97 min, p/s)

4:45 AM The Man from Planet X (1951, Mid-Century/UA, 70 min, p/s)

WEDNESDAY, MAY 2

MORNING AFTERNOON: Why Would You Want to Spend an Entire Day Showing the Same Bing Crosby Movies Again When You Can Honor a Bunch of Other Birthdays?

6:00 AM The Merry Widow (1934, MGM, 110 min) (in honor of songwriter Lorenz Hart, born May 2, 1895)

8:00 AM Alice Adams (1935, RKO, 99 min) (in honor of cast member Hedda Hopper, born May 2, 1885)

9:45 AM The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939, RKO, 93 min) (in honor of film subject Vernon Castle, born May 2, 1887)

11:30 AM The Great Garrick (1937, WB, 89 min) (in honor of cast member Brian Aherne, born May 2, 1902)

1:00 PM The Jolson Story (1946, Columbia, 124 min) (in honor of producer Sidney Skolsky, born May 2, 1905)

Short: A Plantation Act

3:15 PM A Dog of Flanders (1960, Fox, 96 min, p/s) (in honor of cast member Theodore Bikel, born May 2, 1924)

5:00 PM The Comedians (1967, MGM, 152 min) (in honor of cast member Roscoe Lee Browne, born May 2, 1925)

Short: Lion Power from MGM (1967, MGM, 27 min)

WEDNESDAYS IN PRIME TIME: STAR OF THE MONTH: CHARLES LAUGHTON

8:00 PM If I Had a Million (1931, Paramount, 72 min **PREMIERE**)

9:15 PM The Sign of the Cross (1932, Paramount, 125 min, p/s)

11:30 PM Island of Lost Souls (1933, Paramount, 71 min, p/s)

12:45 AM Payment Deferred (1931, MGM, 81 min)

2:15 AM The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934, MGM, 110 min)

4:15 AM Du Barry Was a Lady (1943, MGM, 101 min)

Note: I've noticed that fairly often on TCM's schedules, prime-time features don't go all the way to 6:00 AM the next morning, and that there will be one or two movies that don't really fit in with any other feature. So, I've got one of those overnight here, and one overnight Saturday.

THURSDAY, MAY 3

THURSDAY MORNING: A Five-Feature-Film Salute to the Jackson 5

6:00 AM Min and Bill (1930, MGM, 66 min) -- writer Marion Jackson

7:15 AM Destry Rides Again (1939, MGM, 94 min) -- writer Felix Jackson

9:00 AM Suzy (1936, MGM, 93 min) -- writer Horace Jackson

10:45 AM The Lost Weekend (1945, Paramount 101 min) -- Charles Jackson wrote the novel

short A Polo Phony (1941, RKO, 18 min) actor Warren Jackson

12:45 PM Little Caesar (1931, WB, 79 min) -- actor Thomas Jackson

THURSDAY AFTERNOON: THE FIFTH STATE: Movies set in Connecticut

2:15 PM Christmas in Connecticut (1945, WB, 100 min)

4:00 PM Theodora Goes Wild (1936, Columbia, 94 min)

5:45 PM Night and Day (1946, WB, 128 min)

THURSDAYS IN PRIME TIME: Hollywood's Thoroughly Inaccurate Look at the Rest of the World

8:00 PM Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970, Universal, 116 min **PREMIERE**)

10:00 PM Gilda (1946, Columbia, 110 min)

12:00 AM King Solomon's Mines (1950, MGM, 103 min)

Short: Egypt Speaks (1951, MGM/Traveltalks, 9 min)

2:00 AM The Singing Nun (1966, MGM, 98 min)

Short: Born to Fight (1956, RKO, 15 min) -- bullfighting in Portugal

4:00 AM Walk, Don't Run (1966, Columbia, 114 min)

FRIDAY, MAY 4

Thursday feature ends by going to the last two continents

6:00 AM Green Dolphin Street (1947, MGM, 140 min)

8:30 AM Dirigible (1931, Columbia, 100 min)

FRIDAY MORNING/AFTERNOON: FIFTH IN A SERIES: Movies that were the fifth in some reasonable series

Note: If I calculated everything correctly.

10:15 AM The Thin Man Goes Home (1945, MGM, 100 min) -- fifth Powell/Loy "Thin Man" movie

12:00 PM Mysterious Intruder (1946, Columbia, 61 min) -- fifth Richard Dix "Whistler" movie

1:15 PM Blondie on a Budget (1940, Columbia, 72 min) -- fifth Lake/Singleton "Blondie" movie

2:30 PM State of the Union (1948, MGM, 124 min) -- fifth Tracy/Hepburn movie

4:45 PM Road to Rio (1947, Paramount 100 min **PREMIERE**) fifth Hope/Crosby "Road" Movie

6:30 PM Out West With the Hardys (1938, WB, 84 min) -- fifth Mickey Rooney "Andy Hardy" movie

FRIDAY IN PRIME TIME: HOLLYWOOD ON HOLLYWOOD

8:00 PM Souls for Sale (1923; Goldwyn, 90 min, p/s)

9:30 PM Lady Killer (1933, WB, 74 min)

Short: Warner Bros. Silver Jubilee (1930, 8 min)

11:00 PM Abbott and Costello in Hollywood (1943, MGM, 83 min)

12:30 AM A Star is Born (1937, Selznick International, 111 min, p/s,)

2:30 AM The Princess Comes Across (1936, Paramount, 6 min, p/s)

Short: Coo-Coo Nut Grove (1936, WB, 7 min)

TCM IMPORTS

4:00 AM Day for Night (1973, **PREMIERE** 115 min)

SATURDAY, MAY 5

Darkness Before Dawn: several hours of noirs and mysteries

6:00 AM The Case of Velvet Claws (1936, WB, 63 min)

7:15 AM Shadow of a Woman (1946, WB, 78 min)

8:45 AM Force of Evil (1948, Enterprise/MGM, 78 min, p/s)

10:15 AM The Big Heat (1952, Columbia, 90 min)

Short: Where is Jane Doe? (1956, RKO, 8 min)

12:00 PM The Asphalt Jungle (1950, MGM, 112 min)

SATURDAY AFTERNOON: NEW FEATURE: Classics for Kids

2:00 PM Bringing Up Baby (1938, MGM, 102 min)

Short: The Nickel Nurser (1932, Hal Roach, 21 min, p/s)

4:15 PM The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938, WB, 102 min)

6:00 PM The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1946, Fox, 104 min **PREMIERE**)

Short: Bowling Tricks (1948, Pete Smith, 9 min)

Note: We've had discussions here at what the best way is to get younger people interested in classic cinema. So, I figured a good way would be to show movies that aren't necessarily traditional "kids'" movies, but which children should find interesting, and which parents will find reasonably clean. Of course, boys and girls probably have different tastes, so I hope my choices have something for everybody.

THE ESSENTIALS

8:00 PM The Essentials: Kings Row (1942, WB, 127 min)

SATURDAY PRIME TIME: More of a five-film salute to Ronald Reagan

10:15 PM Dark Victory (1939, WB, 104 min)

Short: So You Want to Be An Actor

12:15 AM Night Unto Night (1949, WB, 84 min)

1:45 AM Accidents Will Happen (1938, WB, 62 min)

Short: Sword Fishing (1939, WB, 10 min)

3:00 AM Stallion Road (1947, WB, 97 min)

4:45 AM The Narrow Margin (1952, RKO, 71 min)

Message was edited by:

Fedya, to correct studio information on Payment Deferred

Welcome to the Challenge, Fedya. Very impressive schedule.

I enjoyed the various "Five" tributes, especially the "Jackson 5" (six if you include the short) tribute and "Fifth in a Series".

The May 2nd birthday salute to several people, instead of just one, was a wonderful touch.

Charles Laughton as Star of the Month is an excellent choice, as is Glenda Farrell for a boxset.

It must be because I am typing this at 4:30 in the morning that the obvious theme is eluding me from "Spot the Obvious Theme." I guess if you share what is, then the theme title wouldn't be good, lol.

A marvellous selection of films, Fedya. Job very well done.

> Welcome to the Challenge, Fedya. Very impressive

> schedule.

Thank you, although I note I'm not the only entrant to come up with a series of movies set abroad. At least the person who had a night dedicated to Fredric March and a night dedicated to Ray Milland didn't pick either The Sign of the Cross or Payment Deferred.

> It must be because I am typing this at 4:30 in the

> morning that the obvious theme is eluding me from

> "Spot the Obvious Theme." I guess if you share what

> is, then the theme title wouldn't be good, lol.

If you look carefully, you MAY spot the theme. Or, you MAE not. I will admit I was running out of ideas by the time I got to the last movie of the afternoon, though.

> A marvellous selection of films, Fedya. Job very

> well done.

> Great schedule, Fedya. The mystery theme wouldn't be

> Mays, Maes and hold the Mayo, or a facsimile thereof,

> would it?

Yes. And of course, Little Women could be subsituted because of who wrote the original book.

Actually, before I saw TCM's promo for The Best Years of Our Lives, I had one of the Maisie movies in the final slot. I was running out of ideas. ;-)

Fedya, love the Reagan line up. I was going to schedule King's Row but it wouldn't fit, and I chose two other Gipper movies instead, though none of the ones you chose.

Ben, I had to laugh when I saw Superdad on your schedule ... I totally forgot about that movie until I saw Auto Focus. I remember being dropped off at a second-run cinema with my brothers when I was a kid, to see that. All I remember of it was the water skiing scene.

Fedya, I also meant to mention I like your idea of Classics for Kids. Robin Hood is an excellent choice. I remember what appealed to me as a kid. Adventures of Robin Hood, Mark of Zorro, and Thief of Bagdad come immediately to mind.

To everyone:

The contest is still open until midnight PT on March 7th. If you are interested in joining in the fun, please see the very first post in this thread for instructions, and throughout the thread for a look at the imaginative TCM schedules people have posted so far.

MattHelm, "Superdad" isn't really a great representation of Walt Disney fare (made when Walt's son-in-law, Ron Miller, was in charge,) but it is a memorable movie-going experience from my childhood. I went with my cousins to see it-on a double-bill with "Son Of Flubber-"in a second rate suburban movie theatre filled with noisy kids. Afterward, we had ice cream at Baskin Robbins and terrorized TG & Y! :)

Ben, that's the same type of theater I saw movies at in the 70s. There were a lot of Disney movies during those years that seem to have vanished into obscurity. Movies like One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing, Escape to Witch Mountain, No Deposit No Return, The North Avenue Irregulars, The Cat from Outer Space, etc.

How could you forget The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes?

I have to admit that I actually saw The North Avenue Irregulars in the theater when it came out.

It could be worse, though. Over on another board where I post about upcoming movies on TV, somebody admitted to having seen both Xanadu and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in the theater when they came out. :-)