Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LAST DAY! ?THE TCM Programming Challenge: Take 5? with PRIZES

As I write this, there are only 38 hours and 31 minutes left before the contest closes (at midnight PT on March 7th). If you have been thinking about submitting a schedule, now is the time to do so. I would love to see more people try their hand at it. Instructions are in the first post on this thread.

Great schedule, Allie!

A lot of movies I'd love to see-especially "So This Is Paris" and "Our Betters" (A big fan of George Cukor and Van Nest Polglase...and, of course, "Ernest" (Tyrell Davis.) )

Can't wait to read your notes...

I've been helping my cousin move to a new apartment, so only now have I gotten a chance to read over all the fantastic schedules that have been posted! WOW! There's so much thought and creativity in all of these, it's really hard to pick out one as the best. I always find it interesting how everyone's minds work in their themes and selections for Star of the Month. Everyone's schedules are so different and just incredible. I particularly love when people schedule movies that I haven't heard of--it only makes me want to see them more!

Everyone did such a great job. Even though the contest is closing down tomorrow, I really hope there's one or two late entries (is that too greedy of me to ask?) The more the merrier.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but I did write up some notes to the schedule that I posted a few weeks ago. I wrote these on a laptop during a very long car ride back home and I wanted to get them in before the contest closed. I actually thought it closed Sunday, so I was a bit disappointed since I like to include notes in with my schedule, but I was so happy to find out it ends tomorrow.

Also, thank you to those who had kind words about my schedule. MattHelm, I've never seen "Full of Life" although I swung over to Amazon and bought a copy of the book two weeks ago. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Stupid Free Shipping, I could have written a novel of my own by this time!

Disclaimer: like most of the things I write, these are very long and a bit boring. Someone around these parts can also attest that I write very long replies to questions.

My schedule, posted on February 14th, 2007.

Like my other schedules, I chose between movies that I love or haven't seen and would like to see. I never really feel comfortable just sticking in a movie that would fit a theme criteria. I have to enjoy it or be a fan of the director or actors in it. Once again, I also scheduled shorts between the movies that usually link to the movie before or after (example, the "How to Break 90" golf short features Glenda Farrell, which is shown after the movie "Middle of the Night", which she was in. The Pete Smith short, "Pedestrian Safety" is shown after the movie "Grand Prix" as a warning not to cross the street during high speed, French auto races. Ha ha.)

I started out my week by focusing on the ladies of Columbia Studios. I've been reading more and more about Columbia and the somewhat tyrannical rule that Harry Cohn had over the studio. I focused on the four ladies (Arthur, Hayworth, Holliday and Novak) because not only did Harry Cohn harass them either verbally or sexually, but I tend enjoy their movies as well (although I'll admit, Kim Novak is a recent addition to my favorites list. I never really cared for her, but I really loved her in "Kiss Me, Stupid" and "Phffft!")

Since the main theme of this challenge is "Hollywood", I tried to incorporate gimmicks that Hollywood would use to lure more people into the theaters (breaking the fourth wall, trying to be hip, remakes!). One of the gimmicks is the All-Star movie. Throughout the schedule, I used a great deal of the "All-Star" movie, starting on Sunday with "West Side Story" and "How the West Was Won"

During the primetime lineup, I chose to focus on "Cinematography by Charles Lang", which was really just an excuse to premiere two movies I've wanted to see forever: "September Affair" with my man, Joseph Cotten and "Red Mountain", which features my other man, Arthur Kennedy, in a supporting role.

I chose to focus on directors for my Silent/Foreign Sunday night lineup. Since I'm not too familiar with either genre, I tried to incorporate movies that a newbie like me would be interested in seeing. I love movies by Ernst Lubitch and I've heard a lot about how wonderful "8 1/2" is supposed to be, so that lineup would be something I'd definitely tune in for.

The Monday afternoon lineup consists of a birthday tribute to Patrick McGoohan. I first became familiar with his work via "The Prisoner" (the late 60's BBC sci-fi series). I'm not too much of a cult tv show type person, but at the time, "The Prisoner" fit right into my geeky, searching-for-something eclectic personality (around my early 20's). I was very surprised to see how much work Mr. McGoohan did before "Danger Man" and "The Prisoner" via the J. Arthur Rank library. I've never seen any of these movies and I would LOVE to see some of these pop up on TCM.

For my DVD box set, I chose to focus on certain movies from the RKO studios, instead of focusing on just one particular actor or series (following in the vein of the MGM musical box sets like 'Broadway to Hollywood' or 'Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory'). Since RKO launched so many famous film careers, I thought a box set incorporating "Hollywood Headliners" would be interesting and fun, somewhat like a variety pack. I also chose to include the 6 part BBC documentary on RKO. I love things like documentaries and behind the scenes footage/gossip, and I think other film enthusiasts enjoy that as well. (notes on the entire box set at the end)

For my DVD-Primetime line up, I chose to showcase Part 1 of the documentary as well as three movies from the box set: "The Lusty Men" (Robert Mitchum), "In Name Only" (Cary Grant) and "A Damsel in Distress" (Fred Astaire). I thought it was a nice mix of genres and actors. I rounded out the night by adding in two more RKO classics, "The Enchanted Cottage" and "Stage Door".

For my Tuesday afternoon lineup, I decided to focus on Gloria Grahame. She's an actress I wasn't that familiar with until this year. After seeing her as Ado Annie in "Oklahoma!" I started paying more attention to her in movies and now she's one of my favorites. She's a bit more notorious for her upper lip (as well as a scandal involving her stepson), but I think she's a fantastic actress. My focus is more on her early work with RKO and MGM, since those are her movies I've never seen.

The transition from "The Cobweb" into "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" is because characters in "The Cobweb" leave a theater that is playing "Seven Brides..." I used the theme of redheads, ending with the redheaded Shirley MacLaine to transition into that night's Star of the Month, Melvyn Douglas, another one of my favorites.

I don't think Melvyn Douglas is one of those actors that gets a ton of respect these days, but I've always enjoyed his movies. He does serious drama just as well as he does light, fluffy screwball comedies (plus, I heard that he was a total gentleman in real life, which makes him even better). I chose to focus my lineup on his work with comedic leading ladies, but my favorite performance of his is in the movie "Hud" (which could be shown on a night consisting of all his later period dramatic work).

For my Wednesday afternoon lineup, I decided to do a theme of actors who made it big on Television series. It's always fun to see someone like Harry Morgan as a villain in "Bend of the River" or a very young looking Rip Torn in "Sweet Bird of Youth." Their later success on television overshadows that they were all active in films before they made it big. My personal favorite though, is Jessica Walter ("Grand Prix"), who played the role of Lucille Bluth on Arrested Development. She was fabulous on that!

For my Hollywood theme, I chose to focus on "Big Breaks and Shattered Dreams" and for this, I tried to incorporate more family orientated movies. It also doesn't hurt that I LOVE the Muppets (I want to ask, "Who Doesn't?" but I'm sure there are people who don't), and so I kicked off the night with "The Muppet Movie" whose plotline deals with Kermit going to Hollywood for his big break.

The next three films all deal with the dilemma of silent-to-talkie movies. I started it off with "Singin' in the Rain" (which is also a family movie). It's a classic Hollywood-on-Hollywood story. I followed that with "The Hollywood Revue of 1929" which not only features a lot of the original versions of songs from "Singin' in the Rain", but was Hollywood and MGM's answer to show they could adapt to from silent films to talkies. While it's not a Hollywood-on-Hollywood type movie, I thought it was culturally important enough to add in.

The Carpetbaggers is one of those great overheated, kitschy 60's melodramas that I love. And while the primary focus is on the fictional Jonas Cord's dirty dealings, one of the many subplots deals with Cord taking over a once silent-movie studio and giving his stepmother, Rina Marlowe (thinly disguised as Jean Harlow) her big break since she's perfect for the "talking" movies. I closed out the night with a sad little movie called "Make Me a Star", which deals with a naive man going to Hollywood thinking he's going to get his big break in movies, only to be slapped with the harsh reality at his first preview.

Thursday morning's theme of "Cheapskates and Gold Diggers" include movies that I can watch over and over again ("I Love You Again" is my favorite Powell and Loy movie), while the afternoon lineup consists of my two favorite song and dance men who do anything but sing and dance in the featured movies. I think Fred Astaire is a marvelous actor. Yes, he's a wonderful dancer, but it's in the 1959 movie "On the Beach" that I really became a great fan of his. He's beyond fantastic in his role of the alcoholic professor who dreams of becoming a race car driver. Gene Kelly on the other hand, turned to directing movies instead of dancing in them, with sometimes mixed results.

My Primetime lineup consists of one of my favorite ideas: Breaking the Fourth Wall. I might be the only one, but I love when a character turns to the screen and starts talking to the audience as though they're old friends (I'm very easily amused, I guess). All of the films included feature a scene where the movie acknowledges the audience, but my favorites have to be "The Great Muppet Caper" (the closing credits remind me of my childhood, where I'd wait for Gonzo to take my picture at the end), "The Matchmaker" (featuring Anthony Perkins as a charming romantic, with a fantastic cast that includes Shirley Booth, Shirley MacLaine, Robert Morse and Paul Ford) and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", which I had to throw in since I'm a huge Python Nerd (the extent of my total geekiness lies in my love for Monty Python's Flying Circus.)

Friday morning celebrates Joan Crawford's birthday. In my previous schedules, I usually have a good amount of Bette Davis movies scattered throughout, so I thought it was time to honor Miss Pepsi herself (her birthday was the original reason I chose this week). I titled it "Bette Davis Seethes" since Joan Crawford gets a whole day to herself, while Miss Davis has to share her birthday with Spencer Tracy, Gregory Peck and Melvyn Douglas! She's in good company though.

While I'm not that big on modern remakes, I have a soft spot in my heart for classic remakes, which explains my Friday night primetime theme. While I've seen all three originals, I haven't any of the remakes. I would love to see a David Niven/June Allyson doing their turn in "My Man Godfrey", an American version of "M" and an all singing, all dancing version of "Lost Horizon" featuring songs by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.

For my TCM Underground selections, I chose two late 60's counterculture movies. Like remakes, I'm fascinated by the stupid ideas Hollywood came up with in order to be "hip". "Skidoo" is a great example of this: not only does it feature the entire cast of Hollywood legends tripping on acid, but you get dancing garbage cans, Harry Nilsson singing the credits, and Carol Channing doing a striptease. For the second, I chose "The Big Cube", a melodrama where Lana Turner's daughter and boyfriend spike her drink with LSD. Hilariarity ensues, I'm sure. /end sarcasm.

For my Saturday lineup, I chose to use quite a few "all-star" movies. Starting off Saturday morning are two comedies featuring "a cast of thousands", although in "Who's Minding the Mint," the cast of thousands is the money.

For the afternoon, I chose movies that would do anything BUT overcome your Fear of Flying (I have to admit, this was inspired by that Simpsons episode where Marge is afraid to fly and Homer goes to the video store and rents her movies like "Alive!" and "Fearless." Ha.)

And finally, for the Saturday primetime lineup, I put the spotlight on director Robert Aldrich. Not only is he my favorite director, but I always enjoy his movies and the fact that he tends to use a lot of the same actors and crew over and over again. For my TCM Essential, I chose "The Dirty Dozen", which I love (I have to admit here that I love war movies like this. I don't care if they're "men's" movies. Films shouldn't be gender specific). I also chose to premiere 1965's "The Flight of the Phoenix" with Jimmy Stewart. Both movies have all male casts, who by the end of the movie, attempt to survive, albeit in different situations and ways. They're also both fantastic movies, who's action borders more on the psychological than the physical.

To round out the night, I chose a variety of lesser known Aldrich movies, such as "Ten Seconds to Hell" with Jack Palance, "Autumn Leaves" with Joan Crawford and "Big Leaguer" with Edward G. Robinson.

The DVD Box Set: RKO Hollywood Headliners

I chose five movies that feature Hollywood legends and iconic directors in lesser known--but still very good--movies as well as the 6 part, 1987 BBC documentary on RKO studios. The RKO documentary is something I've wanted to see for quite a while and it's inclusion would be easier in a box set with various movies than in a box set focused on one specific star or series or film genre. I tried to include a variety of movies, from westerns to romances to dramas, making it pretty broad in it's appeal to different kinds of movie buyers.

For each disc, I chose extras that correlate to the movie in some way, whether it be by star or theme. For instance, extras for the Fred Astaire movie, "A Damsel in Distress" include the shorts entitled "Information, Please!"--the filmed version of the radio quiz show. More importantly, pianist/actor Oscar Levant is featured on the panel, who would go on to star in two movies with Fred Astaire in later years.

Two of the discs, "Quality Street" and "Rancho Notorious" include a 1 hour movie as an extra. For "Quality Street", I chose "Maid's Night Out" a b-movie starring Joan Fontaine (she had an unbilled part in the first movie) and for "Rancho Notorious" I picked "The Mysterious Desperado" since both movies have main characters involved in Western murder mysteries.

I've never seen "Full of Life" although I swung over to Amazon and bought a copy of the book two weeks ago. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Stupid Free Shipping, I could have written a novel of my own by this time!

lol, I think you just did!

Great notes, sugarpuss. I think you have a fabulous schedule.

allieharding, a great great schedule! Many fine obscurities, B-movies and love the serial. I never saw it, but have listened to the radio serial. And it's nice to see some great Robert Montgomerys ... we were cheated out of a night of his Star of the Month last year, when Shelley Winters died and they cut in to pay tribute to her.

Sinatrafan, you also chose a different set of Montgomery movies to make up for that much awaited night that never happened last year. I forgot to give you a nod for that.

sugarpuss, again a great schedule and your motives are made crystal clear in your notes. I love the muppets too (I went to college with Big Bird's daughter). I hope you enjoy Full of Life, it'll have you laughing out loud in some parts. If you like that you might like his "Wait Until Spring, Bandini" about his growing up in the 20's, and "West of Rome" about his screenwriting career, later on in life, and the family he and his wife had, post-Full of Life.

Here is my updated schedule-- I changed quite a few things.

First of all, I made the Hollywood night include five films, including two silents to coincide with silent sundays. I changed my theme from Hollywood Homicide to just Behind the Scenes because I couldn't find any Hollywood homicide-related silents.

I also got rid of my Walter Brennan birthday tribute since somebody else did it in another challenge. Instead I did "Heads Up" a tribute to psychological movies. I got to include some of my personal favorites (A Double Life and Rage in Heaven) and also some that sound really good, but I've never been able to see them.

Then, I also changed my box set since my previous set (non-thin man Powell/Loy films) included some movies that were already on DVD. This time I picked one of my favorite underrated actresses, Joan Blondell. A lot of her good films are on First National, but I picked ones that were WB, and all unreleased on DVD. That means none of the huge Busby Berkely movies that she's pretty much known for, but more movies where she's actually the center of attention, not one of the bunch. I also included one movie that night that isn't in the box set, but is a JB movie.

Except for going through and adding the running times and studios, that's about all that I changed. I'm actually pretty happy with the changes-- as much as I would love to see some of the other things I had in my other schedule, I think I like these better (except for the Walter Brennan thing... he's one of my favorite actors)

Well, Good luck everyone, and I hope you like my updated schedule-

Kate

Sunday July 22- Saturday July 28

Sunday July 22

Sunday Daytime

SCREWBALL SUNDAY (New Weekly Feature)

6:00AM: Merrily We Live (1938) Constance Bennett, Brian Aherne 90 mins MGM

On the Loose (Live Action Short)

8:00AM: The Last Hurrah (1958) Spencer Tracy, Pat O'Brien 120 mins Columbia

GROWING OLD

10:00AM: On Borrowed Time (1939) Lionel Barrymore, Beulah Bondi 93 mins MGM

11:45AM: Mr. Skeffington (1944) Bette Davis, Claude Rains 146 mins WB

3:15PM: Someone to Remember (TCM Premiere) (1943) 79 mins Republic Pictures

Rapunzel (Animated Short)

4:45PM: The Captain is a Lady (1940) Charles Coburn, Beulah Bondi 63 mins MGM

A Day in Venice (Travelogue)

ESSENTIALS

6PM: Now, Voyager (1942) Bette Davis, Paul Henreid 117 mins, WB

Sunday Prime Time

BEHIND THE SCENES (HOLLYWOOD FILMS)

8:00PM: Boy Meets Girl (1938) James Cagney, Pat O'Brien 86 mins WB

9:30PM: Going Hollywood (1933) Dick Powell, Rosemary Lane 75 mins, MGM

10:45PM: It Happened in Hollywood (1937) Richard Dix, Fay Wray 67 mins Columbia

SILENT SUNDAY (Hollywood theme continues)

12:00AM: The Matinee Idol (1928) Richard Dix, Fay Wray 66 mins Columbia

1:15AM: His New Job (1915) Charlie Chaplin, Ben Turpin 30 mins Essanay

TCM IMPORTS

1:45AM: Forbidden Games (1952) Brigitte Fossey, Georges Poujouly 102 mins Silver Films

3:30AM: Rhapsody in Blue (1945) Robert Alda, Joan Leslie 139 mins WB

======================================

Monday July 23

Monday Daytime

HAL ROACH MINI-MARATHON

Thelma & Patsy

6:00AM: The Tin Man (1935) Thelma Todd, Patsy Kelly 20 mins MGM

6:20AM: Air Fright (1933) Thelma Todd, Patsy Kelly 20 mins MGM

6:40AM: Done in Oil (1934) Thelma Todd, Patsy Kelly 20 mins MGM

Thelma & Zasu

7:00AM: Maids a'la Mode (1933) Thelma Todd, ZaSu Pitts 20 mins MGM

7:20AM: Asleep in the Feet (1933) Thelma Todd, ZaSu Pitts 20 mins MGM

7:40AM: Red Noses (1932) Thelma Todd, ZaSu Pitts 20 mins MGM

8:00AM: To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) Gregory Peck, Mary Badham 129 mins p/s

THE BUTLER DID IT (Salute to Eric Blore and Halliwell Hobbes)

10:15AM: It's Love I'm After (1937) Leslie Howard, ERIC BLORE 87 mins WB

11:45AM: The War Against Mrs. Hadley (1942) Fay Bainter, HALLIWELL HOBBES 86 mins MGM

1:15PM: Piccadilly Jim (1936) Robert Montgomery, ERIC BLORE 90 mins MGM

2:45PM: Lady for a Day (1933) Warren William, HALLIWELL HOBBES 88 mins Columbia

The Changing of the Guard (Live-Action short)

ARTHUR TREACHER BIRTHDAY SALUTE

4:45PM: Thank You, Jeeves! (TCM Premiere) (1936) Arthur Treacher, David Niven 57 mins FOX

5:45PM: Personal Maid (1935) Ruth Donnelly, Arthur Treacher 60 mins WB

7:00PM: Bridal Suite (1939) Annabella, Robert Young, Arthur Treacher 70 mins

MGM

Monday Prime Time

LOVE AND LARCENY

8:00PM: How to Steal a Million (TCM Premiere) (1966) Audrey Hepburn, Peter

O'Toole 127 mins FOX

10:15PM: The Law and the Lady (1951) Greer Garson, Michael Wilding 104 mins

MGM

11:45PM: The Mystery of Mr. X (1934) Robert Montgomery, Elizabeth Allen 91 mins MGM

1:15AM: The Last of Mrs. Cheney (1929) Norma Shearer, Basil Rathbone 94 mins

MGM

2:45AM: Some Came Running (1959) Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin 134 mins MGM

5:00AM: Private Screenings: Shirley MacLaine (2003) 60 mins

Tuesday July 24

Tuesday Daytime

FEMALE FLYERS (Amelia Earhart's Birthday)

6:00AM: Christopher Strong (1933) Katherine Hepburn, Colin Clive 72 mins RKO

7:15AM: Isle of Destiny (1940) William Gargan, Wallace Ford 95 mins RKO

Little Johnny Jet (Animated Short)

9:00AM: Roaming Lady (1936) Fay Wray, Ralph Bellamy 69 mins Columbia

10:15AM: Together Again (1944) Irene Dunne, Charles Boyer 93 mins Columbia

12:00PM: Letty Lynton (1932) Joan Crawford, Robert Montgomery 84 mins MGM

ROAD TRIPS

1:00PM: Fugitive Lovers (1934) Robert Montgomery, Madge Evans 74 mins MGM

2:30PM: It Happened One Night (1934) Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert 105 mins

Columbia

4:15PM: Two for the Road (1967) Audrey Hepburn, Albert Finney 112 mins FOX p/s

6:15PM: The Long, Long Trailer (1954) Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz 95 mins MGM

Sniffles Takes a Trip (Animated Short)

Tuesday Primetime

BARBARA STANWYCK (STAR OF THE MONTH- 100TH BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE)

Stany Rarities

8:00PM: This Is My Affair (TCM Premiere)(1937) Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Taylor

99 mins FOX

The Film Fan (Animated Short)

9:45PM: You Belong to Me (1941) Barbara Stanwyck, David Niven 94 mins

Columbia

Jennifer Jason Leigh on Barbara Stanwyck

A Wild Hare (Animated Short)

11:30PM: Ever in My Heart (1933) Barbara Stanwyck, Otto Kruger 70 mins WB

12:45AM: Shopworn (1932) Barbara Stanwyck, Regis Toomey 78 mins Columbia

2:15AM: His Brother's Wife (1936) Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Taylor 90 mins MGM

3:45AM: Secret Bride (1934) Barbara Stanwyck, Warren William 65 mins WB

5:00AM: A Lost Lady (1934) Barbara Stanwyck, Frank Morgan 60 mins WB

Wednesday July 25th

Wednesday Daytime

HEAD'S UP: Psychological movies

6:00AM: A Double Life (1948) Ronald Colman, Signe Hasso 104 mins Universal p/s

7:45AM: Rage in Heaven (1941) Robert Montgomery, Ingrid Bergman 85 mins MGM

9:15AM: High Wall (1948) Robert Taylor, Audrey Totter 99 mins MGM

11:00AM: Possessed (1947) Joan Crawford, Van Heflin 108 mins WB

1:00PM: My Name is Julia Ross (1945) Nina Foch, Dame May Whitty 65 mins Columbia

2:15PM: The Locket (1946) Laraine Day, Brian Aherne 86 mins RKO

Believe it or else (Animated Short)

4:00PM: Citizen Kane (1941) Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten 119 mins RKO

6:00PM: My Darling Clementine (TCM Premiere)(1946) Henry Fonda, Walter

Brennan 97 mins FOX

The Live Ghost (Live Action Short)

Wednesday Primetime

MEAL TIME

8:00PM: Dinner at Eight (1934) Billie Burke, Jean Harlow 110 mins MGM

10:00PM: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (1967) Katherine Hepburn, Spencer

Tracy 108 mins Columbia

The Midnight Snack (Animated Short)

12:00AM: The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942) Monty Wooley, Bette Davis 118

mins WB

The Wabbit Who Came to Supper (Animated Short)

2:00AM: Love Before Breakfast (1936) Carole Lombard, Preston Foster 70 mins

Universal p/s

3:15AM: He Stayed for Breakfast (1940) Loretta Young, Melvyn Douglas 86 mins

Columbia

4:45AM: Married Before Breakfast (1937) Robert Young, Florence Rice 70 mins MGM

Thursday July 26

Thursday Daytime

MEAL TIME, Con't

6:00AM: Kisses for Breakfast (1941) Dennis Morgan, Jane Wyatt 81 mins WB

How to Eat (Live Action Short)

7:30AM: Breakfast for Two (1937) Barbara Stanwyck, Herbert Marshall 67 mins RKO

An Hour for Lunch (Live Action Short)

8:45AM: Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard 114 mins

Paramount p/s

10:45AM: The Clouded Yellow (1950) Trevor Howard, Jean Simmons 96 mins Rank

12:15PM: Carefree (1938) Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire 80 mins RKO

SALUTE TO ROBERT RISKIN

1:45PM: Magic Town (1947) Jimmy Stewart, Jane Wyman 103 mins RKO

3:30PM: The Whole Town's Talking (1935) Edward G. Robinson, Jean Arthur 95

mins Columbia

5:15PM: The Cowboy and the Lady (1938) Gary Cooper, Merle Oberon 90 mins

United Artists p/s

6:45PM: American Madness (1932) Walter Huston, Pat O'Brien 75 mins Columbia

Thursday Primetime

MILLS NIGHT

8:00PM: Tiger Bay (1959) John Mills, Hayley Mills 105 mins Disney Live Action

9:45PM: So Well Remembered (1947) John Mills, Trevor Howard 114 mins RKO

11:45PM: That Darn Cat (1965) Hayley Mills 116 mins Disney Live Action

1:45AM: The History of Mr. Polly (1949) John Mills 94 mins Rank

3:30AM: Pollyanna (1960) Hayley Mills, Jane Wyman 133 mins Disney Live Action

King Midas (Animated Short)

Friday July 27

Friday Daytime

MEET ME AT THE CASBAH

6:00AM: Casablanca (1943) Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman 99 mins WB

7:45AM: Kismet (1944) Ronald Colman, Marlene Dietrich 103 mins MGM

9:30AM: Algiers (1938) Charles Boyer, Hedy Lamarr 96 mins United Artists p/s

11:15AM: Gaslight (1944) Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman 111 mins MGM

1:15PM: Love Affair (1939) Charles Boyer, Irene Dunne 89 mins RKO

AN "AYE" FOR AN "AYE" (Films about Scotland)

2:45PM: Crest of the Wave (1954) Gene Kelly, John Justin 90 mins MGM

4:15PM: The Green Years (1946) Charles Coburn, Hume Cronyn 127 mins MGM

6:30PM: Bonnie Scotland (1935) Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy 82 mins MGM

A Wee Bit of Scotland (Travelogue)

Friday Primetime

BOX SET: JOAN BLONDELL

8:00PM: Miss Pacific Fleet (1935) Joan Blondell, Glenda Farrell 66 mins WB

9:15PM: Three Men on a Horse (1936) Joan Blondell, Frank McHugh 88 mins WB

10:45PM:The Perfect Specimen (1937) Joan Blondell, Errol Flynn 88 mins WB

(Box set also features Off the Record (1939) JB & Pat O'Brien WB

and Back in Circulation (1937) JB & Pat O'Brien WB)

12:15AM: There's Always a Woman (1938) Joan Blondell, Melvyn Douglas 82 mins Columbia

TCM UNDERGROUND

2:00AM: The Blob (1958) Steve McQueen, Aneta Corseaut 86 mins Paramount p/s

3:45AM: The Unholy Three (1930) Lon Chaney, Lila Lee 86 mins MGM

5:15AM: The Pilgrim (1923) Charlie Chaplin, Edna Purviance 39 mins United Artists p/s

Saturday July 28

Saturday Daytime

6:00AM: To Be or Not to Be (1942) Carole Lombard, Jack Benny 100 mins United

Artists p/s

7:45AM: Fifth Avenue Girl (1939) Ginger Rogers, Walter Connolly 83 mins RKO

9:30AM: Mark of the Vampire (1935) Lionel Barrymore, Elizabeth Allen 60 mins

MGM

WOLVES, FALCONS AND SAINTS, OH MY! (New Weekly Feature)

10:30AM: The Lone Wolf Strikes (1940) Warren William, Eric Blore 57 mins

Columbia

CARTOON ALLEY

Cartoon Crooners

11:30AM: Catch as Cats Can

11:37AM: Crosby, Colombo, and Vallee

11:44AM: I Only Have Eyes For You

11:50AM: Bingo Crosbyana

12:00PM: Inherit the Wind (1960) Spencer Tracy, Fredric March 127 mins United

Artists p/s

BERGMAN/HITCHCOCK

2:15PM: Notorious (1946) Ingrid Bergman, Cary Grant 103 mins RKO

4:00PM: Under Capricorn (1949) Ingrid Bergman, Joseph Cotten 117 mins WB

NIGHTTIME NOIR (New Weekly Feature)

6:00PM: The Blue Dahlia (1946) Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake 100 mins Paramount p/s

Saturday Primetime

THE ESSENTIALS

8:00PM: The Palm Beach Story (1942) Claudette Colbert, Joel McCrea, Rudy Vallee 90 mins Paramount p/s

RUDY VALLEE BIRTHDAY TRIBTUE

9:30PM: Sweet Music (1935) Rudy Vallee 90 mins WB

11:00PM: Gold Diggers in Paris (1938) Rudy Vallee 100 mins WB

12:45AM: Variety Time (1948) Jack Parr 59 mins RKO

1:45AM: Captain Sinbad (1963) Guy Williams, Heidi Bruhl 85 mins MGM

3:15AM: Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) Charles Laughton, Clark Gable 130 mins MGM

Fast Work (Live Action Short)

Also here are my notes from the last post, which include all of my notes on the things that weren't changed, as well as the things I did change (just to explain why I chose what I chose, even the things that were deleted.. the notes on my new additions are in my previous post)

Here are the notes on my schedule-- I'm sorry that I wrote so much, but I couldn't find a way to get it any shorter! (Believe me, I tried!)

I included three new weekly features. However, for one of them I brought back "Darkness at Dawn" and moved it to 6PM on Saturdays as "Nighttime Noir." As much as I miss Darkness at Dawn, it did seem like an odd time of day to play mysteries. The other two weekly features are "Screwball Sunday" and "Wolves, Falcons and Saints, Oh My!" "Screwball Sunday" would be every Sunday at 6AM, and "WFSOM" would be 10:30AM every Saturday-- this would be all movies that are about an hour long, with recurring characters (not really a serial, but a series) such as the Falcon, Boston ****, The Lone Wolf, and the Saint.

I included five TCM Premieres (yup, I used up every one I was dealt!):

"Someone to Remember" is a film in which an old lady in a rest home finds out they are replacing her building with university housing. She begs them to let her stay, because she is certain that the son who left her 27 years ago will be returning one day-- and wouldn't find her if she moved. It seems very heartwarming, and fit perfectly with my "Growing Old" theme.

"Thank You, Jeeves!"-- how could I resist including a film in which Arthur Treacher STARS with David Niven? And on what better day than Mr. Treacher's birthday?

"How to Steal a Million" is the movie that got me hooked on classic movies. The fact that I haven't seen it on television since I first saw it seven years ago is just plain awful. It is a fabulous farce about forgery, larceny, art and love. The perfect combination of edge-on-your-seat tension and laugh-out-loud comedy.

"My Darling Clementine" is, to put it simply, just too great of a movie not to be on TCM.

"This is My Affair" is one of only a few films pairing Barbara Stanwyck with her husband Robert Taylor. I'm one of those silly people who enjoys watching real-life couples on screen together, and since Stany is my favorite actress I've been dying to watch this for some time.

For the choice between "Hollywood" films and "Five or Fifth" films, I chose Hollywood, but I put my own little twist on it, choosing only films about murder in Hollywood. Because of time restrictions (Silent Sunday) I could only choose two, but I think "Sunset Blvd." and "The Corpse Came C.O.D." represent this narrow genre very well.

For Silent Sunday I picked my favorite silent film, "The Conquering Power" simply because it hasn't been played in quite some time, and it is a spectacular piece of cinematography. There is one scene in which walls close in, and gold hands come out of a pile of gold coins that is out- of this world, especially for 1921! Not to mention this is an Alice Terry/Rex Ingram film with Rudolph Valentino. What a combination!

For Monday morning I scheduled a Hal Roach mini-marathon of Thelma Todd shorts: the first three with Patsy Kelly and the following three with ZaSu Pitts. I happened to catch "The Tin Man" a few months ago, and it was so funny I can't wait to see the rest of the shorts that they made as a team! And Hal Roach's shorts are wonderful because they are always fun, yet you can watch them when you have the time. They are great for the busy TCM lover!

I also did a tiny tribute to the greatest butlers ever, before transitioning into a birthday tribute to another great butler: Arthur Treacher. First I highlighted two films with Eric Blore (one of the best character actors, EVER!) and two with Halliwell Hobbes (including the Hobbes live-action short "The Changing of the Guard") then I scheduled three Arthur Treacher films.

For my star of the month I chose Barbara Stanwyck. She is probably the greatest actress ever-- she excels in comedy, drama, melodrama, and even small budget mysteries. She had the ability to make absolutely any material A-quality, which means that when she was given projects like "Meet John Doe" and "The Lady Eve" she made A-quality material EVEN better yet! Everyone who worked with her said she was one of the most professional actresses, and it shows in her work. Few stars can make you forget their star persona and concentrate only on their film character, and Barbara Stanwyck succeeds in this with flying colors. I think it is the least we could do, to honor this great lady of the silver screen, to dedicate the month of July, the month she would turn 100 years old, to her and her wonderful films.

I had fun with my theme for Wednesday night and Thursday morning- Meal Time. Finding the shorts was fun as well, especially "The Wabbit who came to Supper"! Plus this theme gave me the opportunity to schedule a few films that aren't normally shown (He Stayed for Breakfast and Breakfast for Two).

Thursday afternoon I dedicated about six hours to, in my opinion, one of the greatest screenwriters: Robert Riskin. I can't think of anybody else, except maybe Preston Sturges, who could blend so easily humor, political conscience and

wit.

Thursday night is dedicated to John and Hayley Mills. When I was a little girl my two favorite actresses were Hayley Mills and Elizabeth Montgomery. The funny thing is that two of my favorite actors are now John Mills and Robert Montgomery! Though this is purely a "for fun" post, I would really appreciate it if TCM would consider getting Hayley Mills as a guest programmer, or for a Private Screening. I'd love to hear her discuss her films, and her fathers films.

For my Box set I picked William Powell and Myrna Loy films-- but not the Thin Man. They made so many great movies outside of the Thin Man series, and it would be great if they were grouped together in a Box Set! For my entire box set, I would have: Double Wedding, Manhattan Melodrama, The Great Ziedfeld, I Love You Again and Love Crazy. (But, as filmlover noted, we must entice the viewer into buying the set-- therefore, only three are in my lineup! All are p/s on TCM)

Well that's about it. I have to say I really, really enjoyed doing this. I probably spent more time on it than I should have, but I enjoyed every minute. I'd give up my regular job to do programming in a heartbeat! I even enjoyed figuring out the timing!

Thanks filmlover! (and Happy Belated Birthday!)

Really great schedule, SinatraFan86. I love the idea of a Joan Blondell set. I think I have heard that they are coming out with a Powell/Loy non-Thin man set, so the fact that you changed it to Blondell leaves things more open to pick new to DVD films.

After looking over all of the entries for this challenge, I can only say that it would be so nice if we could split up our vote into half's or quarters. To just pick one out to vote for is going to be a hard task for everyone once they make that agonizing decision.. There is much to like in each one and with so many new contestants that came out of the gate looking like pros.

SinatraFan you really put together a interesting week with Arthur Treacher, Robert Montgomery, Fay Wray, Barbara Stanwyck and John Mills just to name a few. When I look through the TCM schedule I am always looking for the lesser played and little known stars that few people on these board seldom talk about. And MattHelm your entries just seem to get better each time you do one, Charlie Chan's Monogram Marathon, Ann Corio and George Zucco.

I am working on my notes to my schedule and I hope to get it in before this all gets wrapped up tonight. I started off only knowing that I wanted to do something with Glynis Johns.

Hi everyone -- I've managed to make a few last minute alterations to my notes and a few adjustments (mainly typos) to the actual schedule. This has been an incredibly fun challenge, truly a labor of love! Following the schedule are my explanatory notes for anyone who's interested. Thanks, and good luck to all the entrants!

SUNDAY, JUNE 3 ? SATURDAY, JUNE 9, 2007

Sunday, June 3:

It?s LEO GORCEY?s Boithday!

ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (1938; WB; 97 mins) 6:00 am

BOWERY BOMBSHELL (1946; Monogram; 65 mins) 7:45 am

TROUBLE MAKERS (1949; Monogram; 69 mins) 9:00 am

BLUES BUSTERS (1950; Monogram; 68 mins) 10:15 am

ALL THAT MOVIE JAZZ!

BLUES IN THE NIGHT (1941; WB; 88 mins) 11:30 am

THE STRIP (1951; MGM; 85 mins) 1:00 pm

YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN (1950; WB; 112 mins) 2:30 pm

SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (1957; UA; 96 mins) 4:30 pm

ALL NIGHT LONG (1961; RANK; 95 mins) 6:15 pm

A TRIBUTE TO FILM COMPOSER LEONARD ROSENMAN!

EAST OF EDEN (1955; WB; 115 mins) 8:00 pm (p/s)

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955; WB; 111 mins) 10:00 pm (p/s)

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHT

SUNRISE (1927; FOX; 110 mins) 12 Midnight

TCM IMPORT

BREATHLESS (1960; SNC / Franco London; 89 mins) 2:00 am

TWO FILMS THAT INSPIRED ?BREATHLESS'

DILLINGER (1945; Monogram; 70 mins) 3:30 am

DECOY (1946; Monogram; 74 mins) 4:45 am

Monday, June 4:

WAKE UP WITH FRED & GINGER!

TOP HAT (1935; RKO; 99 mins) 6:00 am

SWING TIME (1936; RKO; 103 mins) 7:45 am

FOLLOW THE FLEET (1936; RKO; 110 mins) 9:45 am

MUSIC BY MANCINI!

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY?S (1961; Paramount; 115 mins) 11:45 am (p/s)

CHARADE (1963; Universal; 112 mins) 1:45 pm (p/s)

EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962; Columbia; 123 mins) 3:45 pm

TOUCH OF EVIL (1958; Universal; 109 mins) 6:00 pm (p/s)

STAR OF THE MONTH: STERLING HAYDEN!

THE KILLING (1956; UA; 84 mins) 8:00 pm

DR. STRANGELOVE (1964; Columbia; 96 mins) 9:30 pm

THE LONG GOODBYE (1973; UA; 112 mins) 11:15 pm

DON?T FENCE ME IN: STARS BEHIND BARS!

EACH DAWN I DIE (1939; WB; 90 mins) 1:15 am

BRUTE FORCE (1947; Universal; 98 mins) 2:45 am (p/s)

WOMEN?S PRISON (1955; Columbia; 80 mins) 4:15 am

Tuesday, June 5:

KAY FRANCIS? MONOGRAM TRILOGY!

ALLOTMENT WIVES (1945; Monogram; 83 mins) 6:00 am

WIFE WANTED (1946; Monogram; 71 mins) 7:30 am

DIVORCE (1946; Monogram; 70 mins) 8:45 am

PRE-CODE ?PROBLEM PICTURES?

WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD (1933; WB; 65 mins) 10:00 am

THE MAYOR OF HELL (1933; WB; 80 mins) 11:15 am

I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG (1932; WB; 90 mins) 12:45 pm

CYD CHARISSE: THE LEGS WENT ON FOREVER!

THE BAND WAGON (1953; MGM; 112 mins) 2:30 pm

IT?S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER (1955; MGM; 102 mins) 4:30 pm

SINGIN? IN THE RAIN (1952; MGM; 102 mins) 6:15 pm

TAKE FIVE: HOLLYWOOD LOOKS AT ITSELF!

A STAR IS BORN (1954; WB; 170 mins) 8:00 pm

SULLIVAN?S TRAVELS (1941; Paramount; 91 mins) 11:00 pm (p/s)

SUNSET BLVD. (1950; Paramount; 110 mins) 12:45 am (p/s)

WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD? (1932; MGM; 88 mins) 2:45 am

BOMBSHELL (1933; MGM; 95 mins) 4:15 am

Wednesday, June 6:

PAINTING WITH LIGHT: A SALUTE TO CINEMATOGRAPHER JOHN ALTON!

THE AMAZING MR. X (1948; Eagle Lion; 78 mins) Premiere! 6:00 am

THE BIG COMBO (1955; Allied Artists; 89 mins) 7:30 am (p/s)

OPPOSITES ATTRACT: BOGART & LORRE!

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941; WB; 108 mins) 9:00 am

ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT (1942; WB; 107 mins) 11:00 am

CASABLANCA (1943; WB; 102 mins) 1:00 pm

BEAT THE DEVIL (1954; British Lion / UA. 89 mins) 2:45 pm (p/s)

IT?S ALL THE FASHION!

COVER GIRL (1944; Columbia; 107 mins) 4:15 pm

FUNNY FACE (1957; Paramount; 103 mins) 6:15 pm (p/s)

From the DVD BOX SET: FILM NOIR?RARE BUT WELL-DONE!

THE LOCKET (1946; RKO; 86 mins) 8:00 pm

FLAXY MARTIN (1949; WB; 86 mins) 9:30 pm

DIAL 1119 (1950; MGM; 76 mins) 11:00 pm

THE CULT OF BELA!

DRACULA (1931; Universal; 75 mins) 12:30 am (p/s)

THE BLACK CAT (1934; Universal; 65 mins) 2:00 am (p/s)

MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1932; Universal; 75 mins) 3:15 am (p/s)

BLACK DRAGONS (1942; Monogram; 63 mins) 4:45 am

Thursday, June 7:

BETTE DAVIS EYES!

THREE ON A MATCH (1932; WB; 64 mins) 6:00 am

MARKED WOMAN (1937; WB; 99 mins) 7:15 am

GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN!

MIDNIGHT (1939; Paramount; 93 mins) 9:00 am (p/s)

THE LADY EVE (1941; Paramount; 93 mins) 10:45 am (p/s)

BRINGING UP BABY (1938; RKO; 102 mins) 12:30 pm

SERIE NOIR: From the Poison Pen of DAVID GOODIS!

DARK PASSAGE (1947; WB; 107 mins) 2:15 pm

THE UNFAITHFUL (1947; WB; 109 mins) 4:15 pm

THE BURGLAR (1957; Columbia; 90 mins) 6:15 pm

THE NEW WEST!

JUNIOR BONNER (1972; ABC Pictures; 103 mins) Premiere! 8:00 pm

LONELY ARE THE BRAVE (1962; Universal; 102 mins) 9:45 pm (p/s)

THE LUSTY MEN (1952; RKO; 111 mins) 11:30 pm

BOO! HA! HA!

ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948; Universal; 84 mins) 1:30 am (p/s)

THE GHOST BREAKERS (1940; Paramount; 83 mins) 3:00 am (p/s)

TOPPER RETURNS (1941; Hal Roach / UA; 87 mins) 4:30 am (p/s)

Friday, June 8:

WE LOVE A (?B?) MYSTERY!

I LOVE A MYSTERY (1945; Columbia; 70 mins) 6:00 am

THE DEVIL?S MASK (1946; Columbia; 66 mins) 7:15 am

MARK OF THE WHISTLER (1944; Columbia; 60 mins) 8:30 am

POWER OF THE WHISTLER (1945; Columbia; 66 mins) 9:45 am

SECRET OF THE WHISTLER (1946; Columbia; 65 mins) 11:00 am

NIGHT EDITOR (1946; Columbia; 65 mins) 12:15 pm

THE STRANGE MR. GREGORY (1945; Monogram; 63 mins) 1:30 pm

THE GUILTY (1946; Monogram; 71 mins) 2:45 pm

JACQUES DEMY & MICHEL LEGRAND!!

YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT (1967; Parc Films; 124 mins) Premiere! 4:00 pm

THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG (Parc Films; 1964; 91 mins) 6:15 pm (p/s)

COLD WAR SHIVERS!

KISS ME DEADLY (1955; UA; 106 mins) 8:00 pm

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962; UA; 129 mins) 10:00 pm

RED NIGHTMARE (1957; WB; 29 mins) Premiere! 12:15 am

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956; Allied Artists; 80 mins) 12:45 am (p/s)

TCM UNDERGROUND:

TAXI DRIVER (1976; Columbia; 113 mins) 2:00 am

MEAN STREETS (1973; WB; 110 mins) 4:00 am

Saturday, June 9:

JAMES STEWART: (ANTHONY?S) MANN OF THE WEST!

WINCHESTER ?73 (1950; Universal; 92 mins) 6:00 am (p/s)

THE NAKED SPUR (1953; MGM; 91 mins) 7:45 am

THE MAN FROM LARAMIE (1955; Columbia; 104 mins) 9:30 am

CARTOON ALLEY!

I LOVE TO SINGA (1936)

TIN PAN ALLEY CATS (1943)

WHAT?S OPERA, DOC? (1957)

(All Warner Bros; time block: 30 mins) 11:30 am

REAL ALAN FREED / REEL ALAN FREED!

ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK (1956; Columbia; 75 mins) 12 Noon

AMERICAN HOT WAX (1978; Paramount; 91 mins) Premiere! 1:15 pm

RAYMOND CHANDLER?ADAPTED FROM / ADAPTED BY:

THE FALCON TAKES OVER (1942; RKO; 62 mins) 3:00 pm

MURDER MY SWEET (1944; RKO; 95 mins) 4:15 pm

THE BIG SLEEP (1946; WB; 113 mins) 6:00 pm

THE ESSENTIALS: STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951; WB; 101 mins) 8:00 pm

THE BLUE DAHLIA (1946; Paramount; 99 mins) 10:00 pm (p/s)

DIRECTED BY JACQUES TOURNEUR!

OUT OF THE PAST (1947; RKO; 97 mins) 11:45 pm

THE LEOPARD MAN (1943; RKO; 66 mins) 1:30 am

CURSE OF THE DEMON (1957; Columbia; 95 mins) 2:45 am

NIGHTFALL (1957; Columbia; 78 mins) 4:15 am

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Premieres:

1. YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT (1967; Jacques Demy)

2. JUNIOR BONNER (1972; Sam Peckinpah)

3. AMERICAN HOT WAX (1978; Floyd Mutrux)

4. RED NIGHTMARE (1957; Jack Webb)

5. THE AMAZING MR. X (1948; Bernard Vorhaus)

DVD BOXSET: FILM NOIR?RARE BUT WELL-DONE!

1. STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR (1940; RKO; Directed by Boris Ingster)

2. THE LOCKET (1946; RKO; Directed by John Brahm)

3. THE THREAT (1949; RKO; Directed by Felix Feist)

4. FLAXY MARTIN (1949; WB; Directed by Richard Bare)

5. DIAL 1119 (1950; MGM; Directed by Gerald Mayer)

Notes:

For starters, let?s just say that I have always loved Leo Gorcey and the Bowery Boys (and Dead End Kids, East Side Kids, etc), so what better way to begin my programming challenge than a birthday (excuse me, ?boithday?) salute to the one and only Mr. Gorcey?

I love Jazz almost as much as I love movies. This uniquely American form of syncopation lends itself so perfectly to the flow of black & white images that it only seemed natural to put together a group of films that either employ the music or take it as its theme. BLUES IN THE NIGHT with Ricahrd Whorf, Priscilla Lane, Jack Carson, a young Elia Kazan and former Dead End Kid Billy Halop?is one of the most musically exciting dramas of the 1940s, depicting the hopes and dreams as well as the conflicting passions of a struggling jazz band. THE STRIP is an entertaining and seldom seen noir film with Mickey Rooney as a young jazz drummer desperate to make it on the Hollywood strip while trying to sidestep a life of crime. It also features the on-screen music of Louis Armstrong, Earl Hines and Jack Teagarden! YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN provides Kirk Douglas with one of his most dynamic roles?a tempermental musician loosely based on the legendary jazz great Bix Beiderbeck. SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS with Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis not only benefits from Alexander Mackendrick?s brilliant direction and an incisive screenplay by Clifford Odets and Ernest Lehman, but also from the presence of the Chico Hamilton Quintet, one of the 1950s most innovative jazz ensembles. ALL NIGHT LONG is a rarely screened 1961 British film about a group of jazz musicians who assemble for an all-night jam session. The story is a very modern adaptation of nothing less than Shakespeare?s OTHELLO (with Patrick McGoohan in the ?Iago? role) featuring stellar performances from all and a brooding film noir atmosphere. Dave Brubeck, Charles Mingus (!) and Johnny Dankworth all appear (as themselves) in the film. It was released through the Rank Organization.

Sunday evening Prime Time: Leonard Rosenman has always struck me as one of Hollywood?s most innovative and exciting film composers. His emotionally vibrant scores for JAMES DEAN?s first two feature films--EAST OF EDEN and REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE?would be ample proof of that.

F. W. Murnau?s hauntingly beautiful silent classic SUNRISE has always been a favorite of mine.

My TCM Import, BREATHLESS, is not only one of the key films of the French New Wave, but also an unabashed love letter to the American ?B? movie of the 1940s & 50s. In fact Godard dedicates his film to Monogram Pictures in the opening credits. In that spirit, I have followed BREATHLESS with two thrilling Monogram ?B? noirs: DILLINGER with Lawrence Tierney and the seldom seen gem DECOY starring the remarkable Jean Gillie.

What better way to greet a Monday morning than waking up with Fred and Ginger? ?Nuff said.

For my money, Henry Mancini IS movie music, and the four classic films chosen for this tribute really demonstrate that. Working with directors like Stanley Donen, Blake Edwards and Orson Welles didn?t hurt, either!

Monday evening Prime Time: Sterling Hayden is such a fascinating and versatile actor. Take a look at the three films selected (the first two directed by Stanley Kubrick, the third by Robert Altman) for my ?Star of the Month? and you?ll see three uniquely stunning performances.

I love prison pictures and these three offer a dynamic range of mood, atmosphere and performance. Cagney is electrifying (as usual) in EACH DAWN I DIE, Jules Dassin directs BRUTE FORCE with an abundance of stylish energy and WOMEN?S PRISON, a 1955 Columbia ?B? picture stars the always brilliant Ida Lupino as a viciously sadistic warden running roughshod over her inmates. Featuring a supporting cast?a veritable Who?s Who of Hollywood ?B? babes?that includes Jan Sterling, Cleo Moore, Audrey Totter, Phyllis Thaxter, Mae Clarke, Gertrude Michael and Juanita Moore!

Toward the end of her illustrious career, glamorous Kay Francis not only starred in but also produced this trio of provocative melodramas for Monogram Pictures. All three are terrific, but ALLOTMENT WIVES is definitely the standout.

Nobody produced muckraking melodramas like Warner Bros, and these three pre-code films are among the studio?s best! William Wellman?s WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD is a hair-raising eye-opener about the devastating effects of the Depression on America?s youth; Cagney once again burns up the screen in THE MAYOR OF HELL, a scathing indictment of a corrupt state-run reform school and in I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG Paul Muni gets to deliver Hollywood?s most devastating closing line.

I can watch Cyd Charisse all day! She's especially enchanting in the seriously underrated IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER.

Tuesday evening Prime Time: My ?Take Five? salute to Hollywood (although technically, it?s a music term) gives me a chance to program five of my favorite films about Hollywood.

John Alton is my favorite cinematographer and THE AMAZING MR. X and THE BIG COMBO demonstrate his utter brilliance in the film noir vein. These films are absolutely beautiful!

Who doesn?t enjoy watching Humphrey Bogart and Peter Lorre (either separately or together)? Well, I suppose there are some who don?t, but these four teamings of Hollywood?s most intriguing odd couple are apt to make almost anyone?s day.

COVER GIRL / FUNNY FACE: Rita Hayworth! Gene Kelly! Audrey Hepburn! Fred Astaire! Need I say more?

Wednesday evening Prime Time: For my DVD Box Set, FILM NOIR?RARE BUT WELL-DONE, I?ve plucked out three titles which are not shown nearly enough and should provide diehard noir fans with some genuine thrills. THE LOCKET, with its infamous flashback within a flashback within a flashback, is the height of post-war psychological noir; FLAXY MARTIN is a stylish sleeper with a sterling cast (Zachary Scott, Virginia Mayo, Dorothy Malone) and DIAL 1119 is a taut noir thriller that casts a jaundiced eye on media manipulation. (The other two films from the box set, not included in this prime-time line-up, are equally mesmerizing: STRANGER ON THE 3rd FLOOR is generally considered to be the first true American noir film and THE THREAT, a fast-paced noir thriller, gave the great Charles McGraw one of his meatiest roles.)

I dig Bela Lugosi the most, man! Much more than Karloff, way more than that hambone Vincent Price--more than anyone else from the golden age of Hollywood?s scare factories. The three Universal titles I?ve included from the 30s show Lugosi in his prime?a charismatic figure of indisputable power; the 1942 Monogram tinpot shocker BLACK DRAGONS proves that even when the pickings grew slim, Bela could still be the life of the party.

THREE ON A MATCH and MARKED WOMAN are two of the great Bette Davis? most exciting films!

MIDNIGHT (with Claudette Colbert), THE LADY EVE (with Barbara Stanwyck) and BRINGING UP BABY (with Katharine Hepburn) are three of my favorite screwball comedies; they get funnier with each viewing!

Along with Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, Cornell Woolrich and Jim Thompson, DAVID GOODIS ranks as one of the most influential of the so-called ?tough guy? writers of the film noir era. His downbeat, pessimistic novels supplied Hollywood with some of its richest, most provocative material. The three films in this tribute to Goodis constitute some of his best stories. DARK PASSAGE is the most well-known, providing Bogart and Bacall one of their most exciting team-ups; THE UNFAITHFUL is without a doubt one of Ann Sheridan?s best films, and THE BURGLAR is certainly one of the 50s strangest films, pairing two unlikely icons?Dan Duryea and Jayne Mansfield?in a story that defies description.

Thursday evening Prime Time: There?s something oddly romantic about stories set in the modern West. Maybe it?s the desolate backdrop mirroring the sad and empty lives of the characters. Or maybe it?s just the fact that these three particular films star Steve McQueen, Kirk Douglas and Robert Mitchum. Yeah, that?s it.

BOO! HA! HA! I love scary comedies and this trio tops my list of favorites!

In recent months, TCM has begun to roll out many of the wonderful Columbia mystery ?series? films of the 1940s (Boston ****, Crime Doctor, etc.) In keeping with this delightful new trend, I?ve dedicated a fairly large block of time to this type of ?B? mystery film. In this group I?ve included three of the best WHISTLER films, two from the short-lived I LOVE A MYSTERY series and a film called NIGHT EDITOR which was intended to kick off a series but unfortunately didn?t. Nonetheless, NIGHT EDITOR is one of the grimmest, darkest little ?B? films of its day; hardcore film noir fans will love it! For good measure, I?ve mixed in a couple of unusual Monogram mysteries: THE GUILTY is a dark little drama based on a Cornell Woolrich story and THE STRANGE MR. GREGORY is a diabolical tale of perverted lust!

The great French director Jacques Demy teamed up with the brilliant composer Michel Legrand and created two of the 1960s most sumptuous and radical musicals. THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG (which has screened previously on TCM) elects to have all of its dialogue sung rather than spoken and THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT amounts to nothing less than a glorious, wide-screen, candy-colored tribute to the MGM musicals of the 1950s--even going so far as featuring Gene Kelly in a crucially important supporting role. George Chakiris (from West Side Story) stars along with the ravishing Catherine Deneuve and her real-life sister Francoise Dorleac (here, playing twins). Tragically, Ms. Dorleac was killed in an automobile accident just days after completing this film.

Friday evening Prime Time: The Cold War certainly provided Hollywood with ample fodder for scaring the daylights out of moviegoers in the 50s and early 60s. KISS ME DEADLY, ostensibly a film noir shocker (of the highest order), can also be read as an utterly caustic depiction of an amoral world driven mad by its fear of nuclear annihilation. THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE opens up a bizarre can of worms with its assertion that communist forces could actually create a mind-controlled political assassin merely by suggesting he pass the time by playing a little Solitaire while Don Siegel?s original 1956 version of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS conjures up the notion that we are all becoming soulless victims of a seed-pod (communistic?) society. Topping off this heady brew is RED NIGHTMARE, a short (29 minute) film Jack Webb (!) produced for Warner Bros depicting what America might be like if we all woke up one morning under Communist control.

In the early years of his brilliant career, Martin Scorsese directed some of the 1970s most incendiary films. To me he is a perfect candidate for inclusion in the TCM Underground series. The two films selected (TAXI DRIVER and MEAN STREETS) not only shock and disturb, but also serve to illustrate how a filmmaker can reach down deep into his tortured soul and deliver bona-fide cinematic art. Late-night viewing at its most dangerous best.

After John Ford, Anthony Mann made the best Western films. Here are three of his finest. All with James Stewart.

I love cartoons with musical themes! I LOVE TO SINGA is (among other things) a riotous send-up of Al Jolson?s The Jazz Singer and quite possibly the funniest cartoon ever made; TIN PAN ALLEY CATS, considered somewhat controversial in the aftermath of its original release (charges of racism in its depiction of blacks) is nonetheless an exhilarating celebration of American music and WHAT?S OPERA, DOC is pure animated anarchy from beginning to end!

Pursuing this musical thread, I?ve programmed a pair of films whose link is Alan Freed, the legendary New York disc jockey credited with coining the phrase ?rock and roll.? His career was ended in 1959 amidst a flurry of accusations that he accepted cash payoffs (Payola) from record companies in exchange for radio airplay. He did manage, however, to appear in a handful of mid-50s rock and roll exploitation films with ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK definitely the best of the lot. In 1978 Paramount released Floyd Mutrux? AMERICAN HOT WAX, a loving (but not necessarily accurate) film about Freed and his all too brief career. This superbly evocative film features the late, great Tim McIntyre as Freed and a supporting cast that includes Larraine Newman, Jay Leno and Fran Drescher. Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis appear and perform as themselves. It?s my favorite rock and roll movie of all time!

I?ve combined my prime-time themed Saturday evening tribute to Raymond Chandler with the requisite Essential selection. Chandler?s Philip Marlowe detective novels are among the best ever written, elevating the oft-maligned genre to great literature. THE FALCON TAKES OVER (based on Chandler?s novel ?Farewell My Lovely?), MURDER MY SWEET (also, but more closely based on the same book) and THE BIG SLEEP are three top-notch noir detective films. Chandler provided the screenplay for Alfred Hitchcock?s STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (from the novel by Patricia Highsmith), a worthy candidate for Essential status. Capping off this group is THE BLUE DAHLIA, derived from an original screenplay by Chandler and starring Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake and William Bendix.

Rounding out this schedule is a tribute to one of my favorite Hollywood directors: JACQUES TOURNEUR. Tourneur not only gave us the ultimate film noir (OUT OF THE PAST), but also one of the best Val Lewton shockers (THE LEOPARD MAN) and two of the 50s least known and under-appreciated classic films: NIGHTFALL, a terrific noir with Aldo Ray, Anne Bancroft and Brian Keith (from a David Goodis novel, incidentally) and CURSE OF THE DEMON, the atmospheric occult thriller starring Dana Andrews. Four films which only seem to improve with age.

Great schedules, everyone!

Important notice:

Tomorrow, I will be posting a new thread for voting with links in it to your schedules. I am already at work on the links and, in order to make this easier for me, I ask that no more edits be made nor any more schedules be moved forward effective as of this moment. Thanks. : )

If you have moved your schedule forward recently, please make sure you go back a few pages to your first posting of your schedule and use the edit button to remove completely that first version (you can just type in its space that it was moved forward). This will stop me from linking to the wrong one.

Thanks!

filmlover

P.S. -- If anyone who hasn't posted a schedule yet would still like to join in, you have until midnight tonight (Pacific time). Come, join the fun.

allieharding wrote,

Quote:

"And MattHelm your entries just seem to get better each time you do one, Charlie Chan's Monogram Marathon, Ann Corio and George Zucco."

Yeah...I really like Ann Corio and George Zucco. In fact, when I saw the name Ann Corio in this thread I pulled out my dvd of her movie, Sarong Girl for another viewing. Boy, is that movie a stinker (just kidding).

Anyway...lately, I've been watching a lot of George Zucco movies. I've been watching a lot of George Zucco stuff because I've been watching a lot of cheap dvds of public domain material. That guy (George Zucco) certainly appeared in a lot of "poverty row" movies. You know, production companies with names you rarely (if ever) hear...like Tiffany Productions and Mascot Pictures. I have now seen enough of Zucco to confidently conclude George Zucco is the Spencer Tracy of "B" pictures. I know my Zucco-Tracy opinion may appear crazy...nevertheless, my opinion IS truth. Love that Zucco.

Rusty

I was going to post my partially done schedule, but it timed me out and now I have to start all over! AAAARRRRRGGHHHH!!!! Okay, now I'm done ranting. My schedule will be posted before the deadline. Great work from everyone so far!

mariah,

Here's one thing that will help. Create your full schedule in Microsoft Word, save it, then copy and paste it in here. I discovered that trick after going through the same thing you did.

And welcome to the Challenge! I look forward to seeing your schedule.

filmlover

Rusty,

Interesting take on Zucco being the Spencer Tracy of B pictures. While in Poverty Row pictures, epsecially PRC films (Pretty Rotten Crap, as some call them), he may have just been the poor man's Spencer Tracy. Though,I always thought of him as the poor man's hybrid of Lionel Atwill/Boris Karloff/Cedric Hardwicke. Which makes sense, since Poverty Row needed an actor to be all that, and more, on their budget.

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HERE IS MY SCHEDULE. I HAVE BEEN TYPING THIS SCHEDULE FOR NEARLY THREE HOURS. I'M NOT SURE IF I HAVE THE STRENGTH TO EXPLAIN WHY I CHOSE THESE FILMS. SOME PARTS (i.e. THE TRIBUTES), I CHOSE A FILM I HAVE NOT SEEN IN A WHILE AND RAN WITH A COMMON LINK. FOR EXAMPLE I WANTED TO SEE NIGHT MUST FALL AND LO AND BEHOLD A MONTGOMERY TRIBUTE. I PROMISE TO EXPLAIN ALL TOMORROW MORNING. ENJOY!!!!

Sunday May 13

AVA GARDNER DOUBLE FEATURE

5:00 THE KILLERS (1946) Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner 105 min

7:00 SHOW BOAT (1951) Kathryn Grayson, Ava Gardner 108 min

SYNOPICATION STATION

9:00 SINGIN? IN THE RAIN (1952) Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds 103 min

STURGES/HUSTON/WILDER

11:00 THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN?S CREEK (1944) Eddie Bracken, Betty Hutton 101 min

1:00 THE AFRICAN QUEEN (1951) Humphrey Bogart, Katharine Hepburn 104 min

3:00 SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959) Marilyn Monore, Tony Curtis 119 min

THE ESSENTIALS (REPEAT)

5:00 PAT AND MIKE (1952) Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn 97 min

TCM PRIMETIME FEATURE: DAPHNE DU MAURIER?S BIRTHDAY

7:00 MY COUSIN RACHEL (1952) Olivia De Havilland, Richard Burton 98 min-TCM premiere

8:45 REBECCA (1940) Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine 130 min

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS

11:00 SHOW PEOPLE (1928) Marion Davies, William Haines 83 min

TCM IMPORTS

1:00 METROPOLIS (1927) Brigitte Helm, Alfred Abel 137 min

3:30 AMERICAN MADNESS (1932) Walter Huston, Pat O?Brien 76 min

Monday May 14

TRIBUTE TO ROBERT MONTGOMERY

5:00 WHEN LADIES MEET (1933) Robert Montgomery, Ann Harding 85 min

6:30 THE LAST OF MRS. CHEYNEY (1937) Joan Crawford, Robert Montgomery 98 min

8:15 RIDE THE PINK HORSE (1947) Robert Montgomery, Thomas Gomez 100 min

9:30 RIPTIDE (1934) Norma Shearer, Robert Montgomery 90 min

11:00 THE LADY IN THE LAKE (1947) Robert Montgomery, Audrey Totter 103 min

1:00 NIGHT MUST FALL (1937) Robert Montgomery, Rosalind Russell 117 min

3:00 HERE COMES MR. JORDAN (1943) Robert Montgomery, Claude Rains 93 min

4:30 THEY WERE EXPENDABLE (1945) Robert Montgomery, John Wayne 135 min

STAR OF THE MONTH: JOHN WAYNE?S 100th BIRTHDAY

The Duke without cowboy boots and war uniforms

7:00 LADY FOR A NIGHT (1942) Joan Blondell, John Wayne 88 min-TCM Premiere

8:30 THE QUIET MAN (1952) John Wayne, Maureen O?Hara 129 min

10:45 BABY FACE (1933) Barbara Stanwyck, John Wayne 76 min

Midnight MCQ (1974) John Wayne, Eddie Albert 116 min

2:00 HATARI! (1962) John Wayne, Red Buttons 159 min

Tuesday May 15

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMES MASON

5:00 EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE (1949) Barbara Stanwyck, James Mason 108 min

7:00 THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1952) Stewart Granger, James Mason 101 min

9:00 THE SEVENTH VEIL (1945) Ann Todd, James Mason 94 min

10:45 JULIUS CAESAR (1953) James Mason, Marlon Brando 122 min

Noon 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA (1954) Kirk Douglas, James Mason 128 min

2:15 GEORGY GIRL (1966) James Mason, Lynn Redgrave 100 min

4:00 A STAR IS BORN (1954) Judy Garland, James Mason 180 min

TAKE 5: FIVE DEGRESS OF JOSEPH COTTEN

Born on this day 5/15/05

7:00 LYDIA (1941) Merle Oberon, Joseph Cotten 104 min-TCM premiere

9:00 THE THIRD MAN (1949) Joseph Cotten, Orson Welles 105 min

11:00 THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942) Joseph Cotten, Tim Holt 88 min

12:30 I?LL BE SEEING YOU (1944) Ginger Rogers, Joseph Cotten 83min

2:00 GASLIGHT (1944) Ingrid Bergman, Joseph Cotten 114 min

4:00 FESTIVAL OF SHORTS 60 min

Wednesday May 16

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARGARET SULLAVAN AND THE SULLAVAN BOX SET

5:00 SO ENDS OUR NIGHT (1941) Margaret Sullavan, Frederic March 120 min

7:00 THREE COMRADES (1938) Margaret Sullavan, Robert Taylor 100 min (BOX SET)

9:00 THE SHOPWORN ANGEL (1938) Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart 85 min (BOX SET)

10:30 BACK STREET (1941) Margaret Sullavan, Charles Boyer 89 min (BOX SET)

Noon THE GOOD FAIRY (1935) Margaret Sullavan 98 min

2:00 THE MORTAL STORM (1940) Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart 100 min (BOX SET)

3:45 THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (1940) Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart 97 min

5:30 NO SAD SONGS FOR ME (1950) Margaret Sullavan 89 min (BOX SET)

TCM PRIMETIME FEATURE: GWTW STARS IN OTHER ROLES

7:00 THAT HAMILTON WOMAN (1941) Vivien Leigh, Laurence Olivier 125 min-TCM premiere

9:15 IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934) Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert 105 min

11:00 HOLD BACK THE DAWN (1941) Olivia De Havilland, Charles Boyter 116 min

1:00 IT?S LOVE I?M AFTER (1937) Leslie Howard, Bette Davis 97 min

2:45 A STOLEN LIFE (1946) Bette Davis, Glenn Ford 109 min

Thursday May 17

TRIBUTE TO WALTER BRENNAN

5:00 THE COWBOY AND THE LADY (1938) Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan 90 min

6:30 THE STORY OF VERON AND IRENE CASTLE (1939) Fred Astaire, Walter Brennan 93 min

8:15 THESE THREE (1936) Merle Oberon, Walter Brennan 93 min

10:00 RIO BRAVO (1959) John Wayne, Walter Brennan 141 min

12:30 THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES (1942) Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan 129 min

3:00 MEET JOHN DOE (1941) Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan

5:30 BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK (1954) Spencer Tracy, Walter Brennan 81 min

TCM SPOTLIGHT: CAST AGAINST TYPE

7:00 CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY (1944) Deanna Durbin, Gene Kelly 93 min-TCM premiere

8:30 THE WHOLE TOWN?S TALKING (1935) Edward G. Robinson, Jean Arthur 95 min

10:30 ELMER GANTRY (1960) Burt Lancaster, Shirley Jones 146 min

1:00 NONE BUT THE LONELY HEART (1944) Cary Grant, Ethel Barrymore 113 min

Friday May 18

TRIBUTE TO WILLIAM POWELL

5:00 THE CANARY MURDER CASE (1929) William Powell, Louise Brooks 80 min

6:30 THE KENNEL MURDER CASE (1933) William Powell, Mary Astor 73 min

8:00 DOUBLE HARNESS (1933) William Powell, Ann Harding 74 min

10:30 THE EX-MRS. BRADFORD (1936) William Powell, Jean Arthur 81 min

Noon MISTER ROBERTS (1955) Henry Fonda, William Powell

1:15 THE SENATOR WAS INDISCREET (1948) William Powell, Ella Raines 85 min

2:45 MY MAN GODFREY (1936) William Powell, Carole Lombard 95 min

4:30 LIFE WITH FATHER (1947) William Powell, Irene Dunne 121 min

6:30 MGM PARADE

TCM PRIMETIME FEATURE: DOWN WITH THE SHIP!

7:00 SHIP OF FOOLS (1965) Vivien Leigh, Oskar Werner 149 min

9:30 TITANIC (1953) Barbara Stanwyck, Clifton Webb 98 min

11:00 THE LAST VOYAGE (1960) Robert Stack, Dorothy Malone 91 min

TCM UNDERGROUND

1:00 SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 81 min-TCM premiere

2:30 MY FAVORITE WIFE (1940) Cary Grant, Irene Dunne 88 min

4:00 FESTIVAL OF SHORTS

Saturday May 19

5:00 ONCE UPON A HONEYMOON Cary Grant, Ginger Rogers 116 min

DARKNESS AFTER DAWN

7:00 THIS GUN FOR HIRE (1942) Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake 81 min

8:30 THEY WON?T BELIEVE ME (1947) Robert Young, Susan Hayward

10:30 CARTOON ALLEY

Bugs-Daffy-Elmer hunting trilogy

RABBIT FIRE

RABBIT SEASONING

DUCK! RABBIT! DUCK

WESTERNS

11:00 ARIZONA (1940) Jean Arthur, William Holden 125 min

KIRK AND BURT

1:30 SEVEN DAYS IN MAY (1964) 120 min

3:30 THE DEVIL?S DISCIPLE (1959) 82 min

5:00 GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL (1957) 122 min

STAR OF THE MONTH: KATHARINE HEPBURN?S 100th BIRTHDAY

Her Most Remembered Roles

7:00 (ES)THE PHILADELPHA STORY (1940) Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant 112 min

9:00 THE LION IN WINTER (1968) Katharine Hepburn, Peter O?Toole 134 min

11:15 BRINGING UP BABY (1938) Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant 100 min

1:00 LONG DAY?S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT (1962) Katharine Hepburn, Ralph Richardson 174 min

4:00 FESTIVAL OF SHORTS

The 5 Premieres

THAT HAMILTON WOMAN

MY COUSIN RACHEL

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY

SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS

LADY FOR A NIGHT

The Box Set-Margaret Sullavan

THREE COMRADES

THE SHOPWORN ANGEL

BACK STREET

NO SAD SONGS FOR ME

THE MORTAL STORM

What a neat schedule, mariah23! I really liked your Margaret Sullavan box set idea. What an underrated actress!

I thought you might be interested in one thing about your "against type" theme-- Burt Lancaster's childhood friends all said that the one film role that reminded them the most of the man himself was Elmer Gantry- and Cary Grant's one role that he thought was the most like himself was None But the Lonely Heart! Both were against their "box office type" but both were really close to the men themselves. So, I guess techinically they were playing against type for their whole careers! Just an interesting thought-

PS Love the Robert Montgomery tribute. He's my favorite actor, so I tried to include some of his films in my schedule as well. I wish your schedule could be shown, because I've never seen Ride the Pink Horse!

Good Luck!

Kate