Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LAST DAY! ?THE TCM Programming Challenge: Take 5? with PRIZES

Exceptional first schedule, mariah. I love the birthday tribute to James Mason. And I even see we thought alike with regards to GWTW. Awhile back, I did a schedule with a "casting call" for the actors of GWTW in parts pre-GWTW.

And having watched Sherlock Holmes on TV all night tonight, my detective abilities tell me that because you start your morning schedules at 5 AM and your evening schedules at 7 PM, rather than 6 AM and 8 PM ET, respectively, tells me you are located somewhere in the Central Time zone, lol.

In addition to creating a schedule, another requirement of the contest was to come up with a great imaginary boxset. I thought it might be fun to create an imaginary new DVD boxset containing 5 actual movies from the TCM library. All titles must be new to DVD and each contestant had to schedule one evening to showcase two or three of the titles, but not all five so people will still be tempted to buy it.

Here is a recap of the entries for that portion of the contest. Great work, everyone!

mariah23:

Margaret Sullavan: The Signature Collection DVD Box Set

Three Comrades

The Shopworn Angel

Back Street

No Sad Songs for Me

The Mortal Storm

Allieharding:

Helen Hayes: The Signature Collection DVD Box Set

Night Flight (1933) Helen Hayes, John Barrymore, Lionel Barrymore, Robert Montgomery, Myrna Loy. Directed by Clarence Brown.

The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931) Helen Hayes, Lewis Stone. Directed by Edgar Selwyn.

The Son-Daughter (1932) Helen Hayes, Lewis Stone, Warner Oland. Directed by Clarence Brown.

The White Sister (1933) Helen Hayes, Clark Gable, Lewis Stone.

Another Language (1933) Helen Hayes, Robert Montgomery. Directed by

Edward H. Griffith.

Vanessa: Her Love Story (1935) Helen Hayes, Robert Montgomery. Directed by

William K. Howard.

Fedya:

Glenda Farrell: The Signature Collection DVD Box Set:

Life Begins (1932)

Girl Missing (1933)

Torchy Runs for Mayor (1939)

Three on a Match (1932)

Mary Stevens, M.D. (1933)

Fredmill38:

Ray Milland: The Signature Collection DVD Box Set

The Bachelor Father

Night into Morning

Irene

Wise Girl

A Life of Her Own

Benwhowell:

William Haines: The Signature Collection DVD Box Set:

The Girl Said No (1930)

Just a Gigolo (1931) D-Jack Conway

Way Out West (1930)D-Fred Niblo

Are You Listening (1932) D-Harry Beaumont

Tailor Made Man (1931) D-Sam Wood.

Extras include the short 1925 STUDIO TOUR (1925) and the documentary OUT OF THE CLOSET, OFF THE SCREEN: THE LIFE OF WILLIAM HAINES (2001) D-Fenton Bailey/ Randy Barbato.)

Jarhfive:

Hildegarde Withers Mysteries DVD Box Set:

DVD ONE

Penguin Pool Murder (1932) Edna Mae Oliver, James Gleason

Edna Mae Olivier Biography: "Say 'Hey'...Edna Mae!"

Penguin Pool Murder trailer

Greyscale bars

DVD TWO

Murder on the Blackboard (1934) Edna Mae Oliver, James Gleason

James Gleason Biography: "Hollywood?s Mister Irritable Bald Guy"

Murder on the Blackboard trailer

More grayscale bars

DVD THREE

Murder on a Honeymoon (1935) Edna Mae Oliver, James Gleason

Hildegarde Withers Video Essay: "Hildegarde Withers?Teacher, Sleuth, or Serial Killer?"

Murder on a Honeymoon trailer

For a change?color bars

DVD FOUR

Murder on a Bridle Path (1936) Helen Broderick, James Gleason

Helen Broderick Biography: "Who the Heck is Helen Broderick? And Where?s Edna?!"

Murder on a Bridle Path trailer

DVD FIVE

The Plot Thickens (1936) Zasu Pitts, James Gleason

Zasu Pitts Biography: "Too Funny, Too Fast: The Rise and Fall of Zany Zasu?

The Plot Thickens trailer

DVD SIX

Forty Naughty Girls (1937) Zasu Pitts, James Gleason

Hildegarde Withers? Mysteries...An Essay by James Gleason: "I'm Outta Here..."

Forty Naughty Girls trailer

movieman1957:

Katharine Hepburn at RKO DVD Box Set:

A Bill of Divorcement (1932)

Spitfire (1934)

Sylvia Scarlet (1936)

A Woman Rebels (1936)

The Little Minister (1934)

Sugarpuss:

RKO Hollywood Headliners DVD Box Set (Five Movies plus One Documentary):

Quality Street (1937)

Katharine Hepburn, Franchot Tone; directed by George Stevens

Extras/Shorts:

- Trailer for "Quality Street"

- Short: The Costume Designer (1950) - Katharine Hepburn - 9 min.

- Bonus Movie: Maid's Night Out (1938) Joan Fontaine - 64 min.

A Damsel in Distress (1937)

Fred Astaire, George Burns, Gracie Allen & Joan Fontaine; directed by George Stevens

Extra/Shorts:

- Trailer for "A Damsel in Distress"

- RKO Screenliner: Laughs of Yesterday (1953) 8 min.

- Information Please No. 4: (1942) Oscar Levant - 10 min.

- Information Please: Series 1, No. 11 (1940) - 10 min.

In Name Only (1939)

Cary Grant, Carole Lombard; directed by John Cromwell

Extras/Shorts:

- Trailer for "In Name Only"

- Short: A Tribute to the Will Rogers Memorial Hospital (1965) - 3 min.

- Short: Road to Victory (1944) Cary Grant - 10 min.

The Lusty Men (1952)

Robert Mitchum, Susan Hayward; directed by Nicholas Ray

Extras/Shorts:

- Trailer for "The Lusty Men"

- Short: RKO Sportscope: Dirt Track Racing (1957) - 8 min.

- Short: Picture People #2: Hollywood Sports (1941) - 9 min.

- Short: Screenliner: Big House Rodeo (1951) - 9 min.

Rancho Notorious (1952)

Marlene Dietrich, Arthur Kennedy; directed by Fritz Lang

Extras/ Shorts:

- Trailer for "Rancho Notorious"

- Bonus Movie: The Mysterious Desperado (1949) - Tim Holt - 61 min.

Hollywood: The Golden Years (1987)

The RKO Story

- 6 one hour parts; 6 hours total

1 double sided disc with 3 parts on each side

Sweetsmellofsuccess:

Robert Ryan: The Signature Collection DVD Box Set:

Berlin Express (1948)

Act of Violence (1948).

The Woman on the Beach (1947)

Beware, My Lovely (1952)

The Outfit (1973)

Filmhistorian:

Debbie Reynolds: The Signature Collection DVD Box Set:

Affairs Of Dobie Gillis (1953)

Bundle Of Joy (1956)

The Gazebo (1959)

Mating Game (1959)

Singing Nun (1966)

Susan Slept Here (1954)

All new digitially remastered transfers available for the first time on dvd.

Bonus features include interviews, commentaries, home movies and Private Screenings: Debbie Reynolds

Matthelm:

The Great Gildersleeve DVD Box Set

Look Who's Laughing (1941) featuring Fibber McGee & Molly

Here We Go Again (1942) also featuring Fibber McGee & Molly

The Great Gildersleeve (1942)

Seven Days' Leave (1942)

Gildersleeve on Broadway (1943)

Gildersleeve's Bad Day (1943)

Gildersleeve's Ghost (1944)

Dewey1960:

Film Noir ? Rare But Well-Done! DVD Box Set:

Stranger on the Third Floor (1940; Directed by Boris Ingster)

The Locket (1946; Directed by John Brahm)

The Threat (1949; Directed by Felix Feist)

Flaxy Martin (1949; Directed by Richard Bare)

Dial 1119 (1950; Directed by Gerald Mayer)

SinatraFan86:

Joan Blondell: The Signature Collection DVD Box Set

Miss Pacific Fleet (1935) Joan Blondell, Glenda Farrell

Three Men on a Horse (1936) Joan Blondell, Frank McHugh

The Perfect Specimen (1937) Joan Blondell, Errol Flynn

Off the Record (1939) JB & Pat O'Brien

Back in Circulation (1937) JB & Pat O'Brien

Message was edited by:

filmlover

As promised, here is my explanation of my schedule:

Last night I had my schedule partially finished (ex: nighttime programmming but not day time except birthdays). The first star who popped into my head, I did a tribute or double feature for them (Gardner, Montgomery, Brennan, Powell).

I decided to have the my schedule during the month of May because of the centennials of John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn. When I found out they would both be TCM STOM's, I decided to keep it that way. I scheduled Hepburn on Saturdays becuase her actual birthday is May 12. Naturally, many of her films could be Essentials. I put Wayne on Mondays to keep a distance between him and Hepburn's films. A few weeks ago, I watched Lady for a Night (which I never even heard of) on AMC and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the Duke in a tux!

So I got to thinking, "What other roles did Wayne have that didn't involve the war or the West?"

Hepburn on the other hand, I wanted to see her best loved or remembered roles without Spencer Tracy, on her actual birthday, viewers could see many of her films with Tracy, hence the repeat Essential, Pat and Mike. Next, I went to notable birthdays during the week, hence Du Maurier, Mason and Sullavan. BTW, I forgot about the Box Set until after I wrote out the schedule so I scrambled and chose Sullavan.

I have always been fascinated with famous actors playing against their typical roles and I wanted to bring back Synopication Station, Darkness After Dawn, and the Western movie on Saturday morning. The cartoons are my favorites of all time, I can quote them verbatim.

On the Take 5 challenge, I wanted to find an actor/actress who was born on May 5, 1905. I didn't find one, but Alice Faye was born on May 5, 1915, however her films would be difficult to get from Fox. So I went to May 15 and lo and behold, Joseph Cotten. While searching through his filmography, I found a 1941 film called Lydia with him and Merle Oberon. It sounded like a good TCM premiere.

While I loved doing it, this game is much harder than I thought.

> While I loved doing it, this game is much harder than

> I thought.

How right you are. What seems like a simple enough exercise can drive you a bit nuts. It's not easy figuring themes and then making it all fit. Fun, but hard work. They better be making a good living. Can you imagine doing 52 schedules?

I'm sorry for the mistake that was pointed out to me by movieman about my Thursday night being missing. I have been working to much and getting to little sleep lately so it just skipped by me. I think what happened was that when I copied and pasted it from word I somehow deleted those movies before I sent them on. I feel so bad about this and I apologize for the error. I feel that it would not be fare and right for me to go back and put them back in after the dead line has passed.

I know that it is too late now, but the MGM portion of the library only consists of films before 1986. Perhaps it could be change for the next programming challenge.

Also, the TCM library includes most of the Allied Artists/Monogram films among portions of other film distributor libraries like Lorimar, Orion, and Castle Hill Productions.

Message was edited by:

moviefan2

moviefan2,

I had been informed prior to the Challenge by TCM that it was MGM-all, though prior we had pre-1986. Since I had already started the Challenge, I decided not to change it in mid-stream back to MGM pre-1986. As to Monogram, I was told it would be fine to include all of their films, as well as the other info about which studios to use.

With regards to future Challenges, I have discussed with another Challenge veteran the possibility of modifying the requirements and possible studios, but that is still in discussion. Personally, I am looking forward to creating a schedule myself in the next Challenge because of the opening up of the additional studios I listed in this Challenge. (In actual fact, TCM does not own its own library any longer, so everything must be leased.)

Message was edited by:

filmlover

My post has been edited.

I am a little bit curious as to where the library is held on the company organization chart. I suppose it is with all of the current Warner Bros. films.

It is tricky as far as who owns what film. I realize that Warner Bros. does not own all of their films. Some of these are Rope (Universal), My Fair Lady (CBS - I think), and The High and the Mighty (Batjac).

Maybe something to consider for future challenges is to limit the films from studios that TCM has agreements with because these could only be the ones that they will be able to show. That will probably elminiate most of the movies from Fox.

Maybe something to consider for future challenges is to limit the films from studios that TCM has agreements with because these could only be the ones that they will be able to show. That will probably elminiate most of the movies from Fox.

That is exactly what I did with this Challenge. Until this Challenge, we basically did limit the choice of films to WB-pre 1950, MGM-pre 1986 and RKO-all, the core of what was TCM's library.

With the expansion of films that TCM is now showing from other studios, I felt it was time to increase, not decrease, the possibilities of films to use in the schedules. As mentioned, TCM informed me of the studios that were now viable, and so I used those, and only those (Rank, Monogram, Disney live action, Columbia, and UA-post 1950). If you look at the Voting thread, you will see the TCM programmer is delighted with the results.

Being new to the board you may not have seen the four previous Challenge events spanning the last year, but after all that time and all those schedules using variants of the WB, MGM, and RKO films, I think the veterans were happy to be able to breathe new life into the schedules by including those specific other studios' libraries. (Fox was never included in the mix, unless previously shown on TCM, but could be allowed under the five Premiere films rule).

I hope you will take part in the next Challenge

I am a little bit curious as to where the library is held on the company organization chart. I suppose it is with all of the current Warner Bros. films.>>

Moviefan,

As you know, the original Turner Film Library consisted of pre-1949 Warners, pre-1986 MGM and all of RKO.

When Ted did the merger with Time Warner back in the late 1990s, the film library was part of that merge.

It is now under the care of Warner Brother where it is now reunited, as you mentioned, with the almost all the rest of the Warners Library.

One of the reasons that The High and the Mighty is no longer with Warners I think is because the Wayne family has a deal in place with Paramount for the release of Batjac films on DVD.

Cinesage, one of the regular posters around here, can probably provide more accurate information about the relationship between Batjac and Paramount.

I'm also thrilled that after many decades (pre-Turner), almost all of the Warners Library is back under the care of Warner Bros.

Tough choices. All look like they put their heart & Souls in the preparation. Too bad I can't vote a tie for all. I spent the better part of the day reviewing the selections and kept coming back to one, who hit a gong with most of the selections. Some of my favorites:

Leo Gorcey

Bela Lugosi

James Dean

Richard Dix (Whistler Series)

Bogart & Lorre

Sterling Hayden

Modern Classics - Mean Streets & Taxi Driver

Jimmy Stewart

Alan Freed - Daddy-O

A film Noir Box Set

In other words my vote is a landslide sweep of both category's to Dewey1960 and a standing ovation to the rest of the participants!

Kudos to you filmlover for keeping things on track! Maybe next year you should emcee the Academy Awards!

Bartlett

Archived